Menu

What the deal with dogs and shopping?

bethben

Lately, I have been seeing dogs a lot when I am doing errands. The are usually smaller dogs but I’ve seen them on leashes in target, in strollers, and in dog hand bags. These are not service dogs. They are “fur babiesâ€. One day I was shopping in JCPenney and there was a woman with a stroller and a cover over the stroller. I thought she was babysitting her grandchildren. Nope. I looked in the back mesh and there were two dogs in the stroller. It doesn’t bother me, but I’m wondering if store clerks are being put in awkward positions of having to tell people to leave the dogs home. I’m also wondering about people with allergies. Somehow, it doesn’t seem like a good trend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is one of my pet peeves. I've been seeing more and more "emotional support animals". Legally, business owners are only allowed to ask if the dog is a service animal and if so what has it been trained to help with. Nothing else under ADA. We have an acquaintance that ordered a service animal vest for his dog so he could take him everywhere with him. He does not require a service animal, yet he insists on taking the dog everywhere, including stores and restaurants. 

This article is pretty funny though and addresses the issue:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/10/20/pets-allowed

• Like 16

We went to a hockey game Friday night and it was bring your dog night. I'm not kidding- people brought their dogs! I was glad nobody near us brought one.  They had vendors set up and they sold dog snacks.  Many of the people dressed their dogs in hockey jerseys or at least team colors.  I think some dog owners spend a lot of money and catering to them is lucrative. 

However I do admit that the weiner dog races they held between periods was ADORABLE. 

• Like 5

At Walmart last week, there was a couple walking around with a big pit bull. The dog was wearing a vest with "Emotional Support Dog" embroidered on it. 

I'm a huge dog lover, but I don't get the appeal of taking a dog everywhere. It just seems like such a hassle. 

• Like 5

I love that dogs are welcome in public places in Europe. Trains, transit, cafes etc. .... I wish it was like that here. I don't find it a hassle to take my dogs with me, any more than taking kids is a hassle; my dogs are part of my life and I want to spend lots of time with them. 

I don't love that people have fake 'service' dogs. A couple homeschool peeps here (by here I'm referring to my geographic location) are guilty of it, with their fake emotional support dogs for their kids. 

Edited by hornblower
  • Like 12

I take our dog to pet stores and other places like Home Depot and Lowe’s that welcome them. But not grocery stores, restaurants without outside seating, etc. I do wish the US was more like Europe in that dogs were welcome in more places. But until then I will remain a rule follower. And because I’m a rule follower I have zero tolerance for fake service dogs/emotional support dogs. If you need one go through a legitimate agency and get a well trained dog. Otherwise you’re making things so much harder for those who do need and have a legitimate service dog.

• Like 9

Odd how so many are ok with guns in stores but bring in a dog & suddenly there's umbrage....

I'd rather people bring a dog, even a fake service dog, than open carry or concealed guns.

Well said.

I see dogs in stores all the time. I have no feelings about it either way.

I rarely--very very very rarely--see fake service dogs. Nearly all are just fur babies.

• Like 1

Odd how so many are ok with guns in stores but bring in a dog & suddenly there's umbrage.... 

I'd rather people bring a dog, even a fake service dog, than open carry or concealed guns. 

I totally get where you're coming from. 

I was chased and bitten by a large dog and I'm still kind of wary about large dogs.  I don't like dogs sniffing my crotch, and that has happened while in the checkout at Walmart.  I don't mind dogs when they are well behaved and not in my personal space, but just like when people park carts in the center of the aisle and proceed to chit chat, it annoys me when dog owners use those retractable leashes in stores. 

Every one of these things are the owner's fault, not the fault of the dog. So maybe what I'm really looking for is better owners.  And also for me to be able to relax a little around dogs. 

I do love seeing dogs in PetSmart because they seem so happy there! 

• Like 4

Because people are selfish and don't care how their actions impact others.

They can legally get away with it, so they do.

I do have a SN daughter with an emotional support animal, by the way.  But I don't think keeping her comfortable in public trumps everyone else's comfort.

Whoa, why are those my only two choices?

I don't mind dogs in Petsmart, by the way! You go into a pet store, you can expect to see animals. 

Edited by poppy
  • Like 10

I am incredibly sick of the dogs everywhere thing.   I do not see any reason for a non-service dog to be in a store, restaurant, office, whatever.   

It's shows no respect for people who are allergic to dogs, don't like dogs, or frankly the dogs themselves.  

• Like 8

It drives me crazy. We have allergy induced asthma and have had more issues. I have no problems with well trained service animals--it's a balancing of needs--but the fur baby phenomena seems like a selfish demand against others' needs.

I also have allergy induced asthma. I am far more concerned about the rude, selfish smokers who stand right outside the doors of public buildings blowing their nastiness all over eveyone trying to enter or exit. Blech!🤢

• Like 6

Well, how about CC service dogs? Are you OK with those?

Nah, never mind. I'm messing with you. Dogs can't CC. Only cats.

• Like 15

I love that dogs are welcome in public places in Europe. Trains, transit, cafes etc. .... I wish it was like that here. I don't find it a hassle to take my dogs with me, any more than taking kids is a hassle; my dogs are part of my life and I want to spend lots of time with them. 

I don't love that people have fake 'service' dogs. A couple homeschool peeps here (by here I'm referring to my geographic location) are guilty of it, with their fake emotional support dogs for their kids. 

I feel kind of similarly. I think we're a bit over-zelous about banning dogs from things.  A lot of the time it's totally unnecessary, places can manage dogs.  There is no reason IMO that I shouldn't be allowed to have my well trained dog sit at my feet in the pub.

OTOH, I find the European/British way of bringing dogs places is different than what I see people doing now around here - even apart from the fake service dog aspect which is pretty selfish all round.  It seems to fit in more with the kind of thing where people get their dogs' nails done and that sort of thing.  I am not sure that it really serves the dogs interests, and maybe rather the opposite.

• Like 4

How do people know if a service dog is fake, btw ? If someone has an invisible illness or disability, how would you know ?

You can usually tell by the behavior of the dog. The ones I have seen are badly behaved.

ETA: Badly behaved as in jumping on people, sniffing crotches, etc...

Kelly

Edited by SquirrellyMama
  • Like 16

Dogs are great, but I don't like the trend to bringing them in stores. A couple of weeks ago while I shopping in a department store, a woman's small dog defecated in the aisle. The store's employees shouldn't have to deal with that. The woman was embarrassed but made no effort to clean up the poop. I felt so sorry for the poor employees.

Hornblower, you raise an interesting point. Looking back to when I was living in Austria, dogs in society did not bother me. They were well-trained, moved closely to their owner, and were considerate of others in public places. Flooring was also generally hard surface--easier to clean, and cleaned well often. The dog/owner/society relationship is different here.

• Like 1

So far, I’ve just seen responsible dog owners. But like a pp mentioned, eventually we may get into the irresponsible dog owner realm. I guess I don’t want to be somewhere shopping indoors and have to watch for little unleashed “fluffy†nipping at my heals while the owner thinks they’re just being friendly. I realize about hidden disabilities, but that’s why they have special vests to announce the dogs as such. I was watching a comedian in a public place and had a large dog with the vest in front of me-a well behaved dog who was content to be under the chair. The ones in the strollers don’t seem to be that type of dog. Also, it boggles my mind as a mom why would you go to the extra trouble to bring dogs shopping with you when you don’t have to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'd rather people didn't bring guns or dogs into stores.

It's nothing against the dogs - it's that, where I am, at least, the majority of owners just ignore any rules about what their dogs can and can't do. 

Go walking in a place with plenty of native birds and ducks where the signs say (every few hundred feet) 'keep your dog on a leash' (like I did yesterday) - I estimate every time I go there, around 70% of dog owners ignore the rules. 

People who obey on leash laws are a minority - why would I want those people in my shops and cafes, ignoring the rules there as well ?

I personally don't think existing rules are arbitrary - they are about protection of wildlife, shared amenity, or health and safety. When a majority of dog owners can't play by those rules, they shouldn't get rewarded for that.

That's a shame for the good owners, and their dogs. If 99% of people had their dogs under control in public, I might feel differently. 

I think you make some very good points.

There is a particular biking/running/walking path near my house, and there are signs everywhere "DOGS MUST BE ON A LEASH".   Many people ignore it, and those owners DO NOT CARE.   Their opinion is, "My dog is friendly what's the issue?"  The issue is, your dog might run into a biker and hurt someone.   The issue is, why should I have to put up with a dog jumping on me, even if it is friendly?    People are very delusional about their dog being "under control".

The rest of us need to be protected from the bad dog owners IMHO, if nothing else.

• Like 6

reflect on your term "fur baby".  they're their 'baby' and they can't be separated.  of all the dogs in stores/etc. I've seen in the last ten years, I think ONE was a legit service dog.

I hope the laws will start changing to crack down on this.  I'm getting pretty tired of it.  the fact  there have been cases  of "fur baby but fur-mommy calls it a service dog" ATTACKING legit service dogs, will hopefully spur cracking down on this.

last night, I was at one mall for 30 minutes.  I saw three fur babies.  on the doors to the mall - are "no dogs" signs.

• Like 4

reflect on your term "fur baby".  they're their 'baby' and they can't be separated.  of all the dogs in stores/etc. I've seen in the last ten years, I think ONE was a legit service dog.

I hope the laws will start changing to crack down on this.  I'm getting pretty tired of it.  the fact  there have been cases  of "fur baby but fur-mommy calls it a service dog" ATTACKING legit service dogs, will hopefully spur cracking down on this.

last night, I was at one mall for 30 minutes.  I saw three fur babies.  on the doors to the mall - are "no dogs" signs.

Had I only known about this...I could have taken my 140lb Cane Corso with me and ridden him since I have a congenital back issue.

I could have been zipping around that mall like nobody's business. Never mind a little drool...

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 4

I adore dogs and service animals don't bother me, but we have one person (not even a student, the spouse of a student) who brings their animal to school. He is not trained and pooped on the brand new carpet right when school started. The owner, who is more annoying than the dog, lets the dog lie right in the limited path where people are supposed to be walking. I had to step around the dog the other day. For me technically, I don't mind the dogs, I do mind owners that feel entitled. 

• Like 7

I think you make some very good points.

There is a particular biking/running/walking path near my house, and there are signs everywhere "DOGS MUST BE ON A LEASH".   Many people ignore it, and those owners DO NOT CARE.   Their opinion is, "My dog is friendly what's the issue?"  The issue is, your dog might run into a biker and hurt someone.   The issue is, why should I have to put up with a dog jumping on me, even if it is friendly?    People are very delusional about their dog being "under control".

The rest of us need to be protected from the bad dog owners IMHO, if nothing else.

:iagree:

the issue is my asd son is deathly afraid of dogs.  I don't care how friendly your dog is, and that he's just being friendly when he runs up to my  asd child.  (whom I now have to calm down because he's screaming. . . . )

at least he has mostly outgrown it. as long as a dog stays back, he's ok.

I was at a relatives house - she was dog sitting her friends "well behaved dog".  the dog didn't bark, didn't bite, and generally came when called.   HOWEVER . . . playing tag with a child's shoes, and chewing them up is not "a well behaved dog."

• Like 5

You have a well mannered dog with you in public? Fine. I don’t care.

You have a highly trained working service dog with you in close quarters? Fine. I don’t care. I recently shared an airplane ride with a full size poodle that was a working service dog. No issues at all.

You have your poorly behaved dog with you in public? I am gonna hate you if you let them annoy me.

• Like 9

I can't stand babying grown dogs and pretending they are children. Ugh. Double ugh. Dogs do not belong in strollers or prams. 

ha - my newf x & my malamute x both enjoyed their strollers immensely at the end of their lives. 

I am so glad I got the stroller for them.

Little dogs often need them because their little legs do get tired on an all day outing. 

• Like 1

I’m not a fan.

This summer I overheard an intern at my physical,therapy place talking about her emotional support Iguana.

She was working on paperwork so the iguana could accompany her around campus when she got back to college ina few weeks.

First time I heard of a companion iguana. The green iguana my ds once had would not have been a good candidate...:)

Oh, this bugs me so much. 

Dc was phobic about dogs when they were little. (Yes, we worked on it. No, they are no longer phobic). But we worked on it through graded exposure - people laughing at her shrieking when their 'friendly' dog rushed her as she came out of our gate and refused to get the dog under control  because 'she needs to toughen up, lady' - set that back by YEARS. 

ASD kids are entitled to safety, and that included from 'friendly' dogs (imo, that behaviour isn't friendly)

a dog rushing up to anyone (except its owner) isn't well-behaved either.

1ds gf has a lot of dogs.   her father is a detective.  those dogs... . are *trained*.

• Like 2

ha - my newf x & my malamute x both enjoyed their strollers immensely at the end of their lives. 

I am so glad I got the stroller for them.

Little dogs often need them because their little legs do get tired on an all day outing. 

I'm trying to picture the last malamute I encountered in a dog stroller ...how did fit?!?   

he was easily up to my chest. just massive.   he was the sweetest thing too.

eta: just want to clarify - I love dogs.  my idea of dog is at least 50 - 60lbs.   I had german shepherds.  though there are some smaller ones that are ok. . . . 

Edited by gardenmom5

I'm trying to picture the last malamute I encountered in a dog stroller ...how did fit?!?   

he was easily up to my chest. just massive.   he was the sweetest thing too.

It is a pretty large stroller for big dogs but Daisy wasn't a really giant girl. Bear was around 90lb & Daisy was closer to 80 lbs when healthy but by the time they got their stroller they were becoming thinner and frailer.  Length is sometimes the tricky bit, esp with they have arthritis in the spine and can't curl or turn well. Then you need a longer design so they can stretch out....

Honestly, my only regret was that I waited too long. We could have had more fun and long outings for longer if I'd started earlier. They both LOVED it. No acclimation time, and Bear esp used to want to keep going. We'd get home and he'd get all limp and heavy and refuse to get out. It made him so happy. We'd go to parks and he'd get out and wobble around a bit, sniff things, pee, then get back in & keep going.

I know someone is rolling their eyes reading this and seeing others with pet strollers. Whatever. I'm glad I made my dogs' last months happy. 

• Like 5

Soccer prac for a well trained dog (no pun intended) seems fine to me. I mean, if I don't want to be close to your well trained dog at the local oval, I can just move a bit. Very different to having dogs in shopping aisles.

Until the dog poops on the field and the owner doesn’t clean it up and your kid steps in it.

• Like 6

Genuine question: what about people who are allergic to dogs? Are people with dog allergies affected by dogs in stores or do they have to have contact with the dogs to be affected?

Anne

We had to stop going to our public library because it is carpeted and lots of pets were coming in with "read with a dog day" and the like.   If we see pets/service animals in stores, we keep a wide berth.  Although we carry inhalers and api-pens and keep steroids on hand, the last time I got pneumonia was from a hidden cat in a ceramics studio.  I began reacting, left as soon as I realized what was going on, but the inflammation was so immediate that I nearly used my epi-pen. 

I think, imnsho, the following rules should apply:

1. service animals should have some type of universal certification and recognition

2. public places like libraries, schools, and government buildings should have hard, washable flooring and be limited to service animals only

3. private buildings should have clear "service dogs only" or "pets welcome" signs on the door.  In my previous town, it was very pet friendly--I very much appreciated the bookstores and other places that warned of pets inside (store cats, etc.)

4. there should be huge widespread condemnation of badly behaved pets

• Like 9

We had to stop going to our public library because it is carpeted and lots of pets were coming in with "read with a dog day" and the like.   If we see pets/service animals in stores, we keep a wide berth.  Although we carry inhalers and api-pens and keep steroids on hand, the last time I got pneumonia was from a hidden cat in a ceramics studio.  I began reacting, left as soon as I realized what was going on, but the inflammation was so immediate that I nearly used my epi-pen. 

I think, imnsho, the following rules should apply:

1. service animals should have some type of universal certification and recognition

2. public places like libraries, schools, and government buildings should have hard, washable flooring and be limited to service animals only

3. private buildings should have clear "service dogs only" or "pets welcome" signs on the door.  In my previous town, it was very pet friendly--I very much appreciated the bookstores and other places that warned of pets inside (store cats, etc.)

4. there should be huge widespread condemnation of badly behaved pets

We have all of those regs in place and with the exception of Petmart, I could not get away with a dog (not a service dog) anywhere else.

How do people know if a service dog is fake, btw ? If someone has an invisible illness or disability, how would you know ?

My niece is blind and has a guide dog.  Her dog is SO well trained you would know he was working even if you didn't know my niece is blind.  Her dog is trained to focus on only my niece and things in the immediate environment that would affect her.  You could wave a juicy steak in front of her dog and he would have zero reaction.  He is trained to curl up at her feet when she is sitting so as not to take up any extra room.  When he is in harness he would never sniff another person, pay attention to a cat crossing in front of him, jump up, or bark. He will blatently ignore when people interact with him.  He actually is trained to go to the bathroom on command based on when my niece can get him outside during her school day.  He is absolutely amazing.

I know not all service dogs are this well trained, but even my cousin's dog (service dog for severe epilepsy) is trained well enough to focus solely on my cousin while working in public.  The dogs that are jumping, barking, or easily distracted make me wonder if they are legit service dogs.  

I LOVE dogs.  Love them.  I would have a house full if my husband didn't put the brakes on at two.  As much as I adore my dogs, there are very few places I take them.  There is something slightly disconcerting to see a purse dog in the baby seat of a grocery cart strolling through produce.  

And fascinating little bit of trivia I learned when my niece got her guide dog - there is only one place where a guide dog is legally NOT allowed to go...and that is an operating room.  When she had surgery, her dog went as far as the operating room door and rejoined her in the recovery room.  And he cried in the waiting room with my sister the whole time she was in surgery.   :laugh:

• Like 18

My heart sings when I see a content, well behaved dog in public. That animal has earned its place under the table. My dog is a neurotic mess. He’s happier at home and it’s better for society all around.

Dogs-as-accessories annoy me, but generally their owners are more obnoxious than the dog. TWO of my cousins have dog purses. I think I don’t like it because I associate the behavior with annoying people. TELL me before you bring a dog in my house and I yell at my dog for being weird when he’s just trying to alert me of Trojan Purse intruders.

Edited because of overly aggressive spell check.

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 5