Menu

Frivolous Jam Poll

Audrey

Of the following jams, which do you most prefer?  

149 members have voted

1. 1. Of the following jams, which do you most prefer?

• Apricot
    • Blackberry
    • Blueberry
    • Plum
    • Raspberry
    • Rhubarb
    • Strawberry

I am making jams this weekend.  The poll are most of the types of jam I'm making.  Just for fun, which one would you most prefer?  If I didn't list your fave jam, what is that?

I'm also making Saskatoon jam and gooseberry jam, but most people won't know those, so I left them out.  However, if you know Saskatoons and gooseberries and they happen to be your favourite, please do shout out.  :D

• Like 1

Huckleberry is my all-time favorite, but I can't get it around where I live (sigh).  My best locally made one is black raspberry which I buy from our local Farmer's Market (sugar and artificial sweetener free).

The only two I really can't stand are peach and strawberry, but I'm not sure I've tried plum or apricot TBH.

Blackberry, blueberry, rhubarb (as long as it's not made with strawberries) and grape are all good.

• Like 1

Black currant, red currant, cherry, various marmalades, combination jams such as apricot/pineapple, etc. 

We currently have black currant jam, red currant jelly, and gooseberry preserves open, I think. And lingonberry something. 

ETA: raspberry and blackberry seeds get stuck in my molars. :(

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 2

around here - blackberries are a delicacy. ... you cannot buy this type of blackberry.  the ones for purchase - lack the flavor.  you can only pick them where they grow wild - only the truly naive would ever plant them in their yard.** (preferably-  there is a freeway between you.)    sil has been picking them  and bringing them here on condition dh makes pie  (no one here is complaining) . . . maybe I should go pick some so I can make jam for holidays. . . . .

after that - strawberry, or raspberry. my own. I did find a close approximation for my raspberry from trader joes'.   tiny jar for $5 a pop. . ..(I have a glorified brownie recipe that calls for raspberry jam - and I was out.)

** have an acquaintance who  moved here and thought "cool, blackberries in our yard" . . . so, they fertilized and watered them. :huh: :lol: :smilielol5: :smilielol5: :smilielol5: :smilielol5:   boy did they learn their lesson!  

• Like 2

I am making jams this weekend.  The poll are most of the types of jam I'm making.  Just for fun, which one would you most prefer?  If I didn't list your fave jam, what is that?

I'm also making Saskatoon jam and gooseberry jam, but most people won't know those, so I left them out.  However, if you know Saskatoons and gooseberries and they happen to be your favourite, please do shout out.  :D

I like gooseberry, but I think I'd prefer Plum or even rhubarb. particularly because it's difficult to find in stores (plus I LOVE both).

• Like 1

I voted blackberry,  but then I read your post.

Saskatoons! Every time we're up there visiting family I stockpile some :) 

• Like 1

I voted for blueberry, but hot pepper jam comes in a very close second for me. Mmmm....now I am getting impatient for our pepper crop to come in!

When I make Raspberry jam, I boil jalapenos in the water and then strain before I use it.  The spicy/sweet/tart combination is amazing!!  

• Like 4

I only like grape jam and jelly and damson preserves. I have made red plum, but never ate it.

I love grape jelly but cannot grow grapes here.   And, I have a rule that I don't make preserves from something unless it came out of my garden.  It wouldn't be economical to buy the fruit (IMO, YMMV).

• Like 1

Grape.

But I confess I do not know the difference between jelly, jam, and marmalade.

I grew up with Welches grape jelly, maybe skippy peanut butter and white wonderbread.

I think good jelly/jam needs good bread, which I don't have or make. But I had homemade grape jelly on homemade bread at a friend's house and it was soooo amazing. Diamond was maybe 4-5, and she asked my friend if she could take some home. She was so flattered she gave her a loaf and a jar. :wub:

• Like 2

I love apricot jam. This year my BIL & SIL had a bumper crop of apricots--they made jam from the bounty. Best of all they gave each of the brothers a jar of the lovely deliciousness. 

We used to have a tart cherry tree...hands down my favorite jam is cherry. My MIL taught me how to make jam using those cherries. Mmmmmmm....

When we lived on the farm, we had luscious peaches....I love peach jam. Perfect on hot toast on a snowy January day. Like eating a little bit of summer. 

Edited by Happy
  • Like 2

I don't make jam, but I'm another who favors blackcurrant jam.  (Hello, luuknam!)

I like apricot and seedless raspberry.  Marionberry jam is also delicious as is loganberry.  I've had some yummy huckleberry ice cream, so I'm guessing I'd like huckleberry jam as well.

I do not care for grape jelly!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

Saskatoon berry, yum! You may also make Saskatoon pies and send them my way ;)

I wish I could! Alas, my talents do not include making an edible pie crust.  I have tried.  It's just not meant to be.   :blush: 

Black raspberry is my favorite but since those are hard to come by my favorite on your list is probably blackberry.  While I haven't eaten gooseberry jam,  when I was a kid I use to pick and sell gooseberries for extra spending money.  The only two things I ever heard being made from them were gooseberry jam and gooseberry pie.

• Like 1

around here - blackberries are a delicacy. ... you cannot buy this type of blackberry.  the ones for purchase - lack the flavor.  you can only pick them where they grow wild - only the truly naive would ever plant them in their yard.** (preferably-  there is a freeway between you.)    sil has been picking them  and bringing them here on condition dh makes pie  (no one here is complaining) . . . maybe I should go pick some so I can make jam for holidays. . . . .

after that - strawberry, or raspberry. my own. I did find a close approximation for my raspberry from trader joes'.   tiny jar for $5 a pop. . ..(I have a glorified brownie recipe that calls for raspberry jam - and I was out.)

** have an acquaintance who  moved here and thought "cool, blackberries in our yard" . . . so, they fertilized and watered them. :huh: :lol: :smilielol5: :smilielol5: :smilielol5: :smilielol5:   boy did they learn their lesson!  

I don't get it, what happened? Were they not edible?

Or are you just saying home-grown blackberries not taste as good as wild?

Excuse my ignorance, I'm not very plant-savvy.  :blushing:

• Like 1

I don't get it, what happened? Were they not edible?

Or are you just saying home-grown blackberries not taste as good as wild?

Excuse my ignorance, I'm not very plant-savvy.  :blushing:

cultivated blackberries  (especially those polite enough to be cultivated, the ones around here are NOT 'polite') - do not have as much flavor as the wild growing in a good location.

eta: and for the acquaintance ... . . the local blackberries will easily put out 20+ feet of thumb diameter cane in a season.  watering and fertilizing blackberries is like throwing gasoline on a fire.  it's superfluous, and they don't need any encouragement.  the thorns are plentiful and hard - you don't go picking without adequate protection.  (we have friends who used a machete and piece of plywood just to get into them.)  the canes arch. they will go up into trees.  we had neighbors that were hoarders.  (they're gone now)  they had greyhound and school buses full of junk on their property.  the blackberry canes . . . ate the busses.  they were entombed in blackberry canes.  the plants send out new canes every year - but the old ones can take many years before they break down. so you can canes upon canes upon canes.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 3