Menu

Do you control your period?

mommyoffive

I take a BC that pretty much eliminates my period.  During my off week I sometimes have a slight discharge, that's it.  I do still have hormonal headaches during that time.  DD was on a low dose BC to control some really awful periods.  The doc just upped her to a regular dosage pill because her periods are still pretty horrible.  We're hoping it helps.

I take a BC that pretty much eliminates my period.  During my off week I sometimes have a slight discharge, that's it.  I do still have hormonal headaches during that time.  DD was on a low dose BC to control some really awful periods.  The doc just upped her to a regular dosage pill because her periods are still pretty horrible.  We're hoping it helps.

Are you on the pill?  Do you just take it for 4 weeks and that controls them? 

Are you on the pill?  Do you just take it for 4 weeks and that controls them? 

On the pill, Microgestin.  Take it for the usual 3 weeks on and 1 week off.  But what happens on a higher dose hormone is that the lining does not build up like it does without the pill.  The longer you are on it, the lining becomes thinner and thinner.  So for me, all I have is a little discharge, no bleeding or cramping. 

At first I was worried that there was all this blood up there just never coming out!  But the doctor explained that no, it's just not forming in the first place.

• Like 1

On the pill, Microgestin.  Take it for the usual 3 weeks on and 1 week off.  But what happens on a higher dose hormone is that the lining does not build up like it does without the pill.  The longer you are on it, the lining becomes thinner and thinner.  So for me, all I have is a little discharge, no bleeding or cramping. 

At first I was worried that there was all this blood up there just never coming out!  But the doctor explained that no, it's just not forming in the first place.

Oh wow, I had no idea that was an option. 

Thanks.

• Like 1

Birth control is crap. My body can't handle the hormones and it kills my sex drive, among other things. Plus, that pesky cancer risk I don't need on top of all my other high cancer risks.

So I deal with miserable, long, heavy periods because its better than the alternative. No, I don't control them. I try to survive them.

Edited by Arctic Mama

Nope. It controls me. :p

But that's okay. I'm not going to prevent my body from working properly for convenience. (If I were having debilitating cramps or something, I'd discuss options with my midwife.) Like another poster said, I do take Advil when the cramps get bad. But that's only 36 hours or so at the most.

I used to.  I would again, but so far I get HG like symptoms on the pills and vomit until I'm dehydrated for days.  Not a great trade off.  

I have another appointment in a few months and I'd love to think of something.  My period is, at this point in my life, a pointless, inconvenient, pain in the ass.  Pre kids, I had 4 a year and that was pretty great.

I took BCP in college to control heavy bleeding and pain.  It caused a lot weight gain that I am still struggling many years later to get off, though it doesn't help that I have PCOS.  I take a lot of Ibuprofen to try to manage the pain.  Last month that didn't help much.  I am going to be looking into ablasion in a few months after DH has recovered from his surgery that is coming up.

Nope. It controls me. :p

But that's okay. I'm not going to prevent my body from working properly for convenience. (If I were having debilitating cramps or something, I'd discuss options with my midwife.) Like another poster said, I do take Advil when the cramps get bad. But that's only 36 hours or so at the most.

HA! Me, too. Actually, not ha. If there were something natural and proven that could help eliminate my period-related mood swings, my whole family would be happier. I don't mind the actual period so much as the hormonal shifts. But yes, not doing anything to control it and allowing it to control me seems to be the status quo here.

I do want to be a little contrarian though and say that we are basically stopping our bodies from working properly for convenience if we attempt to limit our fertility at all, no matter what the means. It is unnatural and even unhealthy to have as many periods as most modern women of childbearing age do. I think "not being almost constantly pregnant or breastfeeding" (by choice) is arguably preventing one's female body from working the way it was designed. If one isn't amenable to having any more children (and especially if one is unable to due to other issues), I think it's totally normal to resent the monthly bleeding (and hormonal shifts, and everything). But it would be nice to be able to put a more positive spin on it...I think I am in one of my (many) moods...

• Like 2

I was having pretty severe anemia affecting my heart, even on iron supplements, so I'm on Nuvaring (a vaginal silicone/?plastic) device with similar hormones to BCP. No daily meds to think about. You can have it in for three weeks in/one out, or rotate them so you don't get a period. I'm not concerned about the contraceptive effects so I can keep them in longer to just control bleeding. The hormones from the device work for usually five weeks for me before spotting starts.

I took daily pills (didn't take placebos) to completely eliminate my period for about 10 years from about 20yo to 30yo.  It was the the mid 1990s and it was very uncommon to do so at that time. My cycle was very, very irregular and I had an experienced older OB/GYN who thought it was silly to make women deal with an irregular period if they didn't have to. 

I had ablation when I was 30yo and confident that I didn't want more kids. After healing, I haven't had a period since. It was relatively new procedure back then.  Dr and I decided to try that and if it didn't work, I was going to have a hysterectomy. 

• Like 1

My periods have gotten so heavy and last so long (including spotting, I bleed for about 14-15 days per month) that I'm going to my dr. to request the BC pill.  Which sucks because I've tried ibuprofen, tried progesterone cream, no luck and had a crazy bad period this month.  So bad I could not leave the house for 2 days and had a clot the size of a lemon plus other smaller ones. (sorry) My tubes are tied and I'm not happy about having to use something for these stupid periods for the last few years before menopause!  (I'm 46 in Oct.)  But I just cannot live like this.  I never had PMS or even cramps until my 40's and now it's the period from hell.

*Edited to add that I'm anemic as well and on a multi plus extra iron pill just to keep my levels up.

Edited by 6packofun
  • Like 1

On the pill, Microgestin. Take it for the usual 3 weeks on and 1 week off. But what happens on a higher dose hormone is that the lining does not build up like it does without the pill. The longer you are on it, the lining becomes thinner and thinner. So for me, all I have is a little discharge, no bleeding or cramping.

At first I was worried that there was all this blood up there just never coming out! But the doctor explained that no, it's just not forming in the first place.

This is what I need. I have an appointment coming up with my lady parts doctor. Marathon spotting. It's like having the last day of my period for twenty days. Delightful.

Actually, they can just do whatever the heck they want with that lining at this point. Throw acid in there. Vacuum it out. Light an interutetine campfire. Whatever.

• Like 8

My periods have gotten so heavy and last so long (including spotting, I bleed for about 14-15 days per month) that I'm going to my dr. to request the BC pill. Which sucks because I've tried ibuprofen, tried progesterone cream, no luck and had a crazy bad period this month. So bad I could not leave the house for 2 days and had a clot the size of a lemon plus other smaller ones. (sorry) My tubes are tied and I'm not happy about having to use something for these stupid periods for the last few years before menopause! (I'm 46 in Oct.) But I just cannot live like this. I never had PMS or even cramps until my 40's and now it's the period from hell.

*Edited to add that I'm anemic as well and on a multi plus extra iron pill just to keep my levels up.

Sorry to quote your most attractive post ever, lol! But I am right there with you. Very similar never-ending "period" here. I am 46. This can just go to hell.

I also want them to run some bloodwork because I think it is likely I am anemic now.

• Like 1

My periods have gotten so heavy and last so long (including spotting, I bleed for about 14-15 days per month) that I'm going to my dr. to request the BC pill.  Which sucks because I've tried ibuprofen, tried progesterone cream, no luck and had a crazy bad period this month.  So bad I could not leave the house for 2 days and had a clot the size of a lemon plus other smaller ones. (sorry) My tubes are tied and I'm not happy about having to use something for these stupid periods for the last few years before menopause!  (I'm 46 in Oct.)  But I just cannot live like this.  I never had PMS or even cramps until my 40's and now it's the period from hell.

I'm on bc just for periods also, DH had a vasectomy.  I totally get it. Quality of life....

• Like 1

I'm curious...

I'm 6 weeks post-hysterectomy.  It ended up having to be a complete one because the ovaries weren't salvageable.  Best.  Decision.  EVER.  I feel better than I've felt for YEARS.  I'm wondering - for those who have such horrible periods (I get it - been there, done THAT), why not consider an ablation or a hysterectomy instead of hormones or BC pills?  Just wondering. :)

• Like 1

I'm curious...

I'm 6 weeks post-hysterectomy.  It ended up having to be a complete one because the ovaries weren't salvageable.  Best.  Decision.  EVER.  I feel better than I've felt for YEARS.  I'm wondering - for those who have such horrible periods (I get it - been there, done THAT), why not consider an ablation or a hysterectomy instead of hormones or BC pills?  Just wondering. :)

I'll take one. I have no insurance and no real horrid issues, just it's lingered for so long (I'm 50 for gawds sake!). I'm done, I've been done. I asked for a hysterectomy at age 12 (no kidding) because I hate my period. I have scarring from two previous abdominal surgeries now which only makes the monthly bloating annoying. If this whole business doesn't stop soon, I may end up asking for one as soon as I get insurance again. 

• Like 2

Argh.  Just seems like there is such conflicting advice and thoughts.  

Count me in as someone who has had bad periods for ever.   

I had a few really light periods after this last kid and I thought oh my goodness is this how it is going to be forever?  So nice.  But it didn't last.  

I'm curious...

I'm 6 weeks post-hysterectomy. It ended up having to be a complete one because the ovaries weren't salvageable. Best. Decision. EVER. I feel better than I've felt for YEARS. I'm wondering - for those who have such horrible periods (I get it - been there, done THAT), why not consider an ablation or a hysterectomy instead of hormones or BC pills? Just wondering. :)

I am definitely at the point of considering an ablation when I go in for this appointment. The last time it was mentioned, I didn't want to do it mostly because of descriptions about what was on the video monitor when my SIL had an ablation. I'm not overly enthusiastic about mutilating my organs, KWIM? And she did have other issues from the hormonal changes ablation brought on, so that makes me nervous - get rid of one problem, now you have three new problems.

However, I'm so over this inconvenient issue. This is hampering my daily life now, and as I said, I think I am anemic (again). So, when I go to my doctor, I can't say there's anything off the table. I almost don't care *what* they recommend.

• Like 1

I'm curious...

I'm 6 weeks post-hysterectomy. It ended up having to be a complete one because the ovaries weren't salvageable. Best. Decision. EVER. I feel better than I've felt for YEARS. I'm wondering - for those who have such horrible periods (I get it - been there, done THAT), why not consider an ablation or a hysterectomy instead of hormones or BC pills? Just wondering. :)

I'm considering an ablation but we have a high deductible & would need to save up a bunch of $ to afford it.

Till then, just sucking it up every month.

• Like 1

Sorry to quote your most attractive post ever, lol! But I am right there with you. Very similar never-ending "period" here. I am 46. This can just go to hell.

I also want them to run some bloodwork because I think it is likely I am anemic now.

LOL!  At this point I'm willing to sacrifice the last shred of my dignity just to know I'm not alone.   :lol:

• Like 2

But that's okay. I'm not going to prevent my body from working properly for convenience. 

It is actually not natural for women to have monthly periods for decades. "Working properly" would mean being constantly pregnant and/or nursing and dying young, with high probability related to childbirth, as was the case for millenia. Women had very few periods in their entire lifetime. 

Periods are a perfect example how bodies have evolved only just good enough to survive and reproduce at a species sustaining rate and are by no means engineered with intelligence; a system that causes massive blood loss every month is faulty design.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 8

It is actually not natural for women to have monthly periods for decades. "Working properly" would mean being constantly pregnant and/or nursing and dying young, with high probability related to childbirth, as was the case for millenia. Women had very few periods in their entire lifetime. 

Periods are a perfect example how bodies have evolved only just good enough to survive and reproduce at a species sustaining rate and are by no means engineered with intelligence; a system that causes massive blood loss every month is faulty design.

Do you think it is safe to control them with BC though? 

I'm considering an ablation but we have a high deductible & would need to save up a bunch of $ to afford it.

Till then, just sucking it up every month.

Call around! My Gyn, in the hospital, would charge the deductible which is $6k right now. A local Gyn who does it in office would charge $2k. I've already told DH that I'm getting it done the first time my period interferes with my life.

• Like 1

Yeah. I had a hysterectomy. 😄

But all the challenging years before that? No. Honestly, though, inscheduled around it. I did notice that my flow seemed heavier when taking EFAs (fish oil) so I stopped them for a while, and then would only take them part of the month.

• Like 3

Before the hyster, I had super heavy ones after childbirth - got progressively heavier and silly me thought this is just the way it gets once you had kids and get older. Turned out it was wide-spread endo.

I would not take something that shuts down periods completely. Last I read about that, it was not recommended.

Edited by Liz CA

Yep - I've had fewer than 10 periods in the past 11 years, but I've given birth 5 times and breastfed almost continuously since my oldest child was born. 

I so apologize for this answer.  It grosses me out.

I recommend you see the gyn to determine exactly why you are bleeding so much.  

I became anaemic and required two IV iron infusions earlier in the year.  I complained about my hair loss, lack of energy, body pain, and heavy periods for two years with two separate doctors.  Changed docs and my young, female gyn immediately ordered an ultrasound.  Apparently, I have a huge spongy, fibroid like tumor that causes me to bleed like a sieve once per month.  The doctor thinks that I will require an old school hysterectomy, so we are attempting the IUD first.   I'm scheduled for the IUD this week.  I never imagined I'd be doing this at 47.    

Caution story here. A woman I know recently went back on birth control pills to help regulate her period. She is in peri menopause. She was on them when she was younger with no issues. She was hospitalized last week with massive pulmonary embolisms in all lobes of her lungs and the lymph nodes in her neck. Her heart was affected and it was quite scary for a few days. She was on them for about 4 months when this happned.

Edited by KatieinMich

and I worry about the age-based warnings.

I was early-40s when I asked my gyn about the pill. She said 40s was no problem as I was a non-smoker in good health; that the old 35yo age limit was no longer. I don't know if she'd have the same advice for a 50yo as I had to quit taking it after a few months. I would get what felt like yeast infections--though she could never find any yeast. But the problem disappeared as soon as I stopped taking the pill.