Menu

House not selling - should we give up?

PhotoGal

We moved from CA to the PNW three years ago and bought our house two years ago. The first winter was relatively mild, but the winters since then have just been too brutal. I don't mind rain, but I can't go for months without seeing the sun (or just seeing the sun for a few seconds and then it is gone again). Where we live it is overcast from end of September through half of June. It has been very difficult mentally/emotionally on me and also our oldest. Last winter we tried vacationing to the sun twice over the winter - also scoping out possible places to move. We decided to try to sell our house and listed it in May.

The house has still not sold and it is getting to the point where I don't know what to do. Our oldest is having a very hard time with the move. He has made a lot of great friends here. He also has gone to a very dark place every winter mentally (as have I). He doesn't see the connection, but I have seen it every winter/early spring and it is pretty serious.

Anyway, we thought selling the house would be no problem as it is a seller's market around here. It turns out that is really for the starter home priced homes and our house is pretty expensive for the area. We have had probably 20 showings, a few open houses, two price reductions ($40K total), one contingent offer that we thought was low at the time but we should have taken. We had no idea it would take so long or be so stressful. 

We've had a lot of feedback and some of it contradicts other feedback. We have put in hardwood floors through-out - some people love it, some people want carpet. Some people love the trees in the backyard and some people think they give too much shade. Some people have feedback I can't do anything about (don't want a living room/dining room). Some people think all three bathrooms need updating. Feedback was that the price was good even before we lowered it. The house is very nice and in a great neighborhood, but some of the style is a bit 90s. We should have replaced a lot of brass before we listed but it feels like too late for that now.

We are having trouble finding a rental where we want to move because we are a big family (5 kids). We can't buy until after we sell. Our agent is very nice but also seems to have a very passive personality. For example, when we had that (what we thought was low) offer, I asked her to contact other people who were close to an offer to let them know, but she didn't want to do that. I thought that might spark someone to also bring an offer forward. We have had a LOT of "almost" offers or "It is between your house and one other" type statements. I wonder if a more assertive agent could have nudged them over to our side. But I don't know.

The thought of spending another fall/winter/spring dreary season here makes me sick. But it is getting close to the point where the time it would take to close would bring us into school starting. My oldest would really not do well leaving once school has started. He is already convinced I am ruining his life. etc. We really need to get out of here before school starts or wait until next spring (no!) or... I am just feeling really really stuck right now and don't know what to do. :(

• Like 1

I think you should find a new agent - someone more assertive. You want to look at the number of homes they have SOLD as their own listings in the past 6 and 12 months. You also want someone who communicates almost too much and is available literally anytime. Anytime. Homes sell anytime. You do not want a 9-5 agent.

Brass can be off-putting for many buyers - it reads as old. Oddly, brass is coming back around... If you can, I might check out sites like www.lampsplus.com or www.lightingdirect.com and buy some new, non brass light fixtures. It is possible to find them for pretty cheap.

Also, check out Hobby Lobby online for drawer and cabinet pulls...every few weeks they put certain items on 50% sale including drawer things like this. If you can swing it, consider updating your door knobs in the main living areas. Last I checked, Home Depot sells some for like $13-$20 each.

Perhaps the trees are nice, but they need a prune in general and so they do not shade the house at all if they are doing that.

If you care to post pics here, I am sure some of us could give ideas for staging too.

Also many people think summer is the best time to sell. Well only if you want to compete with everyone else. Go off the market maybe, make some minor changes and relist in the winter.

Edited by MommyLiberty5013
  • Like 9

We moved from CA to the PNW three years ago and bought our house two years ago. The first winter was relatively mild, but the winters since then have just been too brutal. I don't mind rain, but I can't go for months without seeing the sun

We decided to try to sell our house and listed it in May.

The house has still not sold and it is getting to the point where I don't know what to do.

Anyway, we thought selling the house would be no problem as it is a seller's market around here. It turns out that is really for the starter home priced homes and our house is pretty expensive for the area. We have had probably 20 showings, a few open houses, two price reductions ($40K total), one contingent offer that we thought was low at the time but we should have taken. We had no idea it would take so long or be so stressful. 

We've had a lot of feedback and some of it contradicts other feedback. We have put in hardwood floors through-out - some people love it, some people want carpet. Some people love the trees in the backyard and some people think they give too much shade. Some people have feedback I can't do anything about (don't want a living room/dining room). Some people think all three bathrooms need updating. Feedback was that the price was good even before we lowered it. The house is very nice and in a great neighborhood, but some of the style is a bit 90s. We should have replaced a lot of brass before we listed but it feels like too late for that now.

. Our agent is very nice but also seems to have a very passive personality. 

The thought of spending another fall/winter/spring dreary season here makes me sick. But it is getting close to the point where the time it would take to close would bring us into school starting. My oldest would really not do well leaving once school has started. He is already convinced I am ruining his life. etc. We really need to get out of here before school starts or wait until next spring (no!) or... I am just feeling really really stuck right now and don't know what to do. :(

several things

the shade in your backyard could be contributing to your SAD.

we just came off a *Record* (with a captial 'R') rain year.  like, haven't had this much winter rain in 100 years.  I'm a native, rain doesn't bother me, I've been places and got sick of the sun . . . - the rain got to me by the beginning of march. - and I have west facing windows that bring in a lot of light.

my RE adivce - fire your agent.  don't care how "nice" she is.  "nice" doesn't sell houses.  how it's marketed, how the agent presents to other agents, etc - sells houses.  sounds like she doesn't have it.   honestly - I'd bet she's a big reason your house hasn't sold.  'cause (depending upon exactly where you are) -this is a sellers market - and it was even more so in May/early June.  (there are now more houses on the market.)

if you're in the bothell/woodinville/noth end area - let me know.  I know a good RE agent in that area who can move a house.

• Like 4

I think you should find a new agent - someone more assertive. You want to look at the number of homes they have SOLD as their own listings in the past 6 and 12 months. You also want someone who communicates almost too much and is available literally anytime. Anytime. Homes sell anytime. You do not want a 9-5 agent.

Brass can be off-putting for many buyers - it reads as old. Oddly, brass is coming back around... If you can, I might check out sites like www.lampsplus.com or www.lightingdirect.com and buy some new, non brass light fixtures. It is possible to find them for pretty cheap.

Also, check out Hobby Lobby online for drawer and cabinet pulls...every few weeks they put certain items on 50% sale including drawer things like this. If you can swing it, consider updating your door knobs in the main living areas. Last I checked, Home Depot sells some for like $13-$20 each.

Perhaps the trees are nice, but they need a prune in general and so they do not shade the house at all if they are doing that.

If you care to post pics here, I am sure some of us could give ideas for staging too.  yep.

Also many people think summer is the best time to sell. Well only if you want to compete with everyone else. Go off the market maybe, make some minor changes and relist in the winter.

depending upon the fixture - you could just take them down and go over them with a good silver or bronze (whichever would work better) tone spray paint.  it will get someone past any initial "oh, the light fixtures are out of date and need to be replaced."

amazon has cabinet pulls in bulk, for a fraction of what you pay individually.

how's the curb appeal?

I agree that winter is more of a sellers market.  people are still looking in the winter - and the inventory is even tighter.  right now, inventory is the highest I've seen in months - that gives buyer's more options.

• Like 2

I use a light box. and recommend that. Get a good one. Sunbox is a good brand, if pricey.

We sold mid-winter. I would get a new agent, make absolutely certain I'm really priced correctly, and keep it listed past what you think of as "buying season" if the listing/showing itself isn't terribly stressful.

Thanks, all! I will post a few pictures so you can tell me what you think. Luckily the light fixtures aren't brass, but the doorknobs are (and there are a lot!). The hardest thing to switch out would be the shower doors - especially in the master because it is a strange shape. There is no brass in the kitchen. The biggest concentration of brass is in the laundry room, which I wouldn't think would be a big deal but maybe it is. The two upstairs bathrooms have silver/brass knobs and pulls (both colors). Maybe the previous owners were trying to tone down the brass but still go with the shower doors. We were thinking of painting/redoing the downstairs bathroom which is a dark color with brass lights. I just feel like most people have already seen our house by now. :P

We have already asked to get out of our listing contract early with this agent. We waited a bit because we had some people who were thinking about making an offer, but they all decided not to. :(

I did have a SAD light for awhile, but it irritated my eyes (not looking directly at it, but from the side). I could try that again with a better quality light. Not sure I can convince my teenager. :)  We are on top of the vitamin D. I don't tend to go out when it is cold and wet - I know that is how a lot of people survive here. 

A lot of the "competition" in our price range are new houses on small lots. It is hard to compete with brand new, even if we have a larger lot, more privacy, nice landscaping, etc. 

I think your home looks beautiful!

Competing with new homes may be hard. I love a larger yard but it's too hard for me to maintain so I'd probably decide to go with a smaller yard.

I assume you've also checked prices of homes that sold in your area for competitiveness?

It's a beautiful home! The brass doesn't look bad at all, certainly not worth changing, and the backyard looks gorgeous. Now granted I love rainy weather (voluntarily moved to southeast Alaska from one of the sunniest states in the country) but I absolutely echo the advice of getting out and exercising even on rainy and cold days and getting a SAD light. You should notice profound positive changes in your energy and mood even if you still have a seasonal dip.

Relist with someone else who is aggressive. No guilt.

Edited by Arctic Mama

What a beautiful home. 

Look online for tips to spray paint the brass. It is really easy; it just takes a few days to let it 'cure'

When does school start? What is your realistic last day you could sell and be in a new home?

• Like 2

It took us over a year to sell one house, so with a house on the market for 3 months, I'd not worry yet.

Higher priced homes will be on the market longer as there are fewer buyers.

I'd probably get a new agent.

I'd stop worrying about people saying they prefer hardwood/carpet/granite/more trees/less trees/whatever. You can offer a $2000 flooring allowance and they can do whatever they want with that money, but it makes people feel better about their desire to change carpet. If something is broken (i.e. toilet seat cracked), fix it. If something needs some touch-up (discoloration of paint near lightswitch/corner), redo that. For every person who likes/dislikes one feature, another will dislike/like it. Don't stress about those. Fix what you can, ignore the rest.   

• Like 5

I would take your house off the market and buy a lightbox and start using it immediately.  Also start taking a tiny dose of melatonin in the afternoon (google melatonin and SAD).  It will help you sleep better. Also take D3 - at least 5000 IU per day until you either feel better or move.

Next, paint the laundry room's coral paint something neutral and trendy - Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter or similar.  Paint everything else in the house that is a bright color a similar color.  The seafoam color in the living room picture you posted is probably trendy enough to not need repainting.

I agree that the bathrooms need updating, but this doesn't need to be a total renovation. It just needs to look slightly less dated.  Paint the walls Sherman Williams Sea Salt.  Go to Pinterest and find instructions to paint the shower surround Oil Rubbed Bronze. Replace the brass pulls and door knobs.  Hobby Lobby does have beautiful options, but do not pay full price.  They are on 50% off sale more than half of the time and are on a six week sale cycle.

Take the room you spend the most time in (school room? sun room?) and paint it Benjamin Moore Cotton Tail.  The website representation is awful.  It is actually a warm buttercream yellow that feels like sunshine.  It will make you happier.

When all of this is done (and make sure it takes at least 30 days, ideally 6 months, and only cost whatever lightboxes cost plus less than $500), decide if you still want to move.  You might start feeling better. The weather might swing to the opposite extreme and go into sunny drought. 

If you do still want to move, ask everyone you know for recommendations and choose a shark of an agent.  Before you list, stage.  Move half of your stuff out of the house. Buy three dozen fresh roses and spread them in vases around the house. Buy new, fluffy white towels and put them in bathrooms.  Create vignettes of cozy blankets and stacked books right next to a comfortable reading chair. Browse Zillow for comps.  You want your house to be the prettiest one in your price range of the comps available.  The paint is a cheap update that should accomplish that. Then you want your realtor to be aggressive - list the house the night before the realtor's weekly walk through so every realtor in town sees it and calls their clients immediately.  That way every realtor in town will know it is the prettiest home in that price range and there will immediately be a bidding war.

• Like 2

Oh and I just realized your house has been on the market 3 months not 2 years like I first read. I definitely wouldn't give up yet and I probably wouldn't reduce the price anymore unless you are super desperate. What's the average days in the market for your price range?

Houses under $250k in my area are selling within a couple weeks on the market. However if you go above that price point it's more like 2-3 months. Much above that is quite a bit longer.

Edited by Rach
  • Like 2

Your house is beautiful! I think that buyers that are looking at homes that are above starter home prices are veeerrryyy picky. Perhaps it is the influence of all those House Hunter shows where people literally complain about everything!

We just got an offer on our house so I feel your pain of waiting ..... and waiting.....  only to hear that it needs updating or the lawn is too much to handle. The right buyers will come along eventually.

In our case we started out priced too high. We had to drop the price a few times and even then got a low-ball offer. I like those offers tho, because then I can say "We accept your offer contingent on not being bothered by anything on the home inspection" -- because that is always where the offer falls apart.

So your house isn't selling at the current price. But you know it would sell in a second if you priced it at $1. So somewhere between your current price and $1 is the perfect price. Once you find that price you will get an offer. 

I would price it very competitively because you have a real need to leave your area. But be firm with anything that comes after the offer. Don't let them nickel and dime you to death. You will probably come out even with a lower price but no hassle from the buyers afterwards. 

• Like 3

Your house is beautiful!  Three months is too early to give up.  You are only looking for one buyer that likes your home.  It's tough to sell a home.  It took 8 months to sell ours last year. 

We kept worrying that the house needed updating.  We kept doing different things, even adding quartz countertops.  We stopped doing stuff to the house and it sold 5 months later.

Just hang in there!  In the mean time get the Happy light.  My sister uses it and she lives in the Northeast!

• Like 2

It's pristine looking.

Just some ideas....

1. Backyard. Cut out some brush (if that exists). Make it look like there's usable space on the ground. Cost = elbow grease.

2. Add some homey touches. The line of pillows blocking the back of the sofa reads closed off. Spread them out. Toss a throw over the back of the lounge. Turn the lounge at an angle over the corner of the rug. Put a pillow on it. Get some Rustoleum HEAT resistant paint and make the FP surround black (we did that to ours at an old house.) find a few green cleaning looking topiary like faux plants and put them on the shelves. Make the coffee table a conversation area with some books. A stack of coasters. A small base of flowers and maybe an art piece.

3. In the laundry room, put in a potted plant. Faux. Greenery is peaceful and it makes homey feelings it also softens right angles.

4. Add some bath towels on the edge of the tub and a pretty soap. That reads spa and relaxing. Fold nice hand towels at the sink. Again nice greenery.

Overall it's a clean home. I think you need buyers to envision cozy and conversations. Oh and get a new agent.

Edited by MommyLiberty5013
  • Like 3

What a lovely home!  I don't have house-selling advice, but I wanted to suggest an extra dose of vitamin D.  We live in a part of the country that has snow for sometimes half a year.  During that time we don't get outside nearly as much, and we all take a vitamin D supplement.  I definitely think it helps with mood!  If you're not getting a lot of sunshine, it might be helpful.

• Like 1

Your house is beautiful. The right buyer will come along--we bought a house in the PNW last winter, and after looking at a bunch of new houses with postage-stamp sized yards, we finally found a house built in the nineties with brass doorknobs and a nice big yard. We bought it. :) We love it. We still have the brass doorknobs.  :lol:

A couple of thoughts--first, this past winter was really awful. Seriously, way off normal. 

Do you snow ski? That's a great way to get outside and get some exercise/sunlight. Snow shoe? Sled? lol. We get out a few times a week, even if we have to wear hip-waders and Gorton fisherman get-ups. 

In your pic, your lovely deck looks bare. Could you stage it look like an awesome outdoor living space? Some buyers might need a little boost to think of the possibilities. 

Good luck!

• Like 1

it's not the trees keeping it from selling.  my neighbor's house - which is oppressive with trees - sold in under a week.  it's built in the 50's with a strange layout.  though they did put in a new, small for the space, kitchen. 

your house is very clean and open.

get a new agent.

I wouldn't spray paint the brass - my wife is the kind of person who would notice and would be annoyed, and we'd end up having to replace all of it. Whereas we probably would be just fine with the brass as-is. We also tend to not be fans of new houses, and like having a bit more than a postage stamp of land to live on. That said, I'm going to guess your house is well outside of our price range - my wife kind of wants to stay under $100k, but no more than $120k, and based on what I've seen when browsing, I want something between $120k and $150k (I'm not being unreasonable... we'd probably qualify for at least $250k - we just don't want to be house poor when you can get something decent for much less).

• Like 4

I think your house looks great. I wouldn't keep dropping the price. That makes you look desperate to other agents and buyers. If you really want to move, get a new agent asap. Talk to the broker about what you need in an agent, if they won't let you out of the listing contract with the brokerage, they might let you switch agents.

• Like 2

I would ask the following questions:

1. How are we priced compared to comparable properties?

2. What is the average number of days on the market for a similar property (in price category, location, etc.)?

3. How long is my contract with this realtor?

I'd make a realtor switch....and I'd do it after interviewing at least three realtors who walk through your property.

• Like 1

We are in Portland, but really more of a suburb of Portland (even though our address says Portland).

Looking into everything everyone has mentioned and trying to make a priority list. We are planning on going with the agency that is more dominant in this area. We were a little wary of them before because they are really big and have a lot of agents. They are definitely more assertive, which is what we need right now.

Dh is going to try looking at rentals this weekend. Hopefully someone will be open to us coming from out of town and with all the kids (not really opening with that info now...). We have a couple leads, but definitely nothing the older kids are going to be excited about (smaller houses, not much yard, etc.). Hoping for other kids in the neighborhood to soften the blow. :)

• Like 1

Do we know where in the PNW the OP is located? Three months in Issaquah is different than three months in Tahuya.

ah, issaquah.  old indian word meaning "speed trap".   (got that from a friend who grew up there.)

and the day I was going east on 90 up the hill east of front street - and there were six (count'em six) wasp cars on the side of W90 just waving people over coming down from the highlands... .they handed out lots of tickets that day . . .

• Like 1

I was talking the other day to a realtor friend.  She said it is a sellers market for the under $350,000 range.....but once you hit $400,000 things aren't moving much.  There is so much new construction that buyers in that price point are gravitating to the customized newer homes. 

You may offer $xx amount after the sale for customization like paint fixtures etc and see if that makes a difference or offer a warranty.

Buying an older house often means a larger, mature lot, but it also means that the water heater/appliances/water lines etc are more prone to problems.  

ETA: in our area (outside Portland Oregon)just from the basic info and pix,  that house would be a $400,000+ house in our neighborhood. 

Edited by Tap

She said it is a sellers market for the under $350,000 range.....but once you hit $400,000 things aren't moving much. 

I don't recall her mentioning any numbers. That said, the more expensive a home is, the smaller the group of people who could potentially buy it, which means that odds are it will take longer to sell it.

- which is oppressive with trees - 

:laugh:  Hey, I love oppressive trees!  

Seriously though, I don't think the trees are too much at all.  Ask questions of the realtor regarding what exactly they plan to do to market your house.  If they look at you questioningly and say, "listing it", that's your answer.  I have a realtor friend who works her fanny off.  She takes flyers out to the other agencies to spread word about the house, she meets anyone, anytime. She has done her own advertising when she thought it was needed.  Seriously.  She is always available. If she doesn't see you getting enough responses, she will seek you out and discuss it with you and plan how to fix it.  So proactive!  As a result, even during the recession she kept a brisk business.  Now she turns work away so she doesn't exhaust herself.

Don't sign until you feel really good about the agent!

• Like 2

I don't recall her mentioning any numbers. That said, the more expensive a home is, the smaller the group of people who could potentially buy it, which means that odds are it will take longer to sell it.

I think she was speaking about her agent friend, not the OP. 

and $400K for a 4bd 2bth 2car garage house in portland is cheap. (W portland has nothing in that range.) on redfin - there were 58 homes <$400K out of 778 for sale. . . .

:laugh:  Hey, I love oppressive trees! 

here's aren't oppressive. 

I grew up in 2nd growth doug fir.  I miss it... (we're in an area where there was forest fire in the 20s . . we lots of deciduous trees.)

• Like 1

I think she was speaking about her agent friend, not the OP. 

and $400K for a 4bd 2bth 2car garage house in portland is cheap. (W portland has nothing in that range.) on redfin - there were 58 homes <$400K out of 778 for sale. . . .

Oh, okay. I have no idea how much homes in Portland cost - I was just going by OP's statement that her home was pretty expensive for the area. For this area here, $400k would be pretty expensive, so I didn't see an immediate conflict (now, if she'd mentioned SF or something, I would've known that real estate is crazy expensive there). 

Either do some updating as suggested or tweak the price. It doesn't matter how much you've dropped the price--if you started wrong, it was too high. You aren't losing money because you didn't have that value to begin with. You are getting showings which means you are close but buyers aren't seeing value when they walk in the door--improve the house a bit or bring the price down a small amount--a couple of thousand or so.

If your agent has this on the MLS  then it's all about price and value because people are seeing it.