The Children's Hour

Life With Father

Cheaper By The Dozen (the original)

An Affair To Remember

Three Coins In The Fountain

Roman Holiday

Sunset Boulevard

Whatever Happened To Baby Jane?

Bunny Lake Is Missing - this one is a chilling story of a child there one moment, and the next a figment of her mother's imagination.

The Egg And I (based on the autobiographical book by Betty MacDonald, author of Mrs. Pigglewiggle)

Yours, Mine, and Ours

Mr. Smith Goes To Washington

• Like 4

So, so many. 

When I was in high school, my dad would take us all to a revival movie theater to watch Bogart (and other) movies.  I grew to love them.   A theater local to me shows older movies in the summer.  Unfortunately they are one-night stands and so far we haven't made it to any.  They're doing "Rear Window" next month but dang it, I already know we can't go.  (I know we can find it to stream or get the DVD from the library, but it's fun to go to the theater.)

We've been saying it's about time to watch "The Maltese Falcon" again.    And "North by Northwest."  

• Like 4

love old movies - generally prefer them to newer ones.  I tend to lean towards comedies.

bringing up baby  (baby is a leopard)

philadelphia story (I want the original, cary grant, katharine hepburn, jimmy stewart)

big hand for the little lady.  (you HAVE to watch all the way to the end.  it's like the build up to an old joke.)

teacher's pet.

support your local sheriff (parody of westerns)

boy's night out. (dd chose it for a girls night out movie.)

the great race (the pie fight is still listed in the guiness book of world records)

casablanca (fabulous lines - very quotable)

we're no angels (humphrey bogart - christmas movie)

his girl friday

gigi

exodus (Charlton heston)

ben hur (Charlton heston)

something happened on the way to the forum (taken from plays of plautus)

gentlemen prefer blondes

how to marry a millionaire (marilyn monroe was a great comedienne - she had great timing.)

My fair lady

to catch a thief (many hitchcock movies)

some of dh's all time favorites:  (all classics)

city lights

lawrance of arabia

dr. zhivago (omar sharif.  hard to believe there's a remake.)

• Like 3

Off the top of my head

Love, love, love:

One Two Three

Some Like It Hot

Rear Window

Arsenic and Old Lace

yes.  there was an episode of remington steele I swear pierce brosnan was channeling cary grant from AaOL.

reminds me - the original lady killers with alec guiness.

• Like 3

we love old movies, too.  My favorite is probably "Bachelor Mother" with Ginger Rogers. It's a comedy, she is really funny.  We quote lines from that movie a lot.

also,  Philadelphia story,  the old Thin Man series, Arsenic and old lace, How to marry a millionaire, The Quiet Man (John Wayne) -not a western.  :) 

• Like 2

There are several movies (that have been remade) that I enjoy the original version:
The Parent Trap

Yours, Mine & Ours

Sabrina

The Shop Around the Corner (basis for You've Got Mail)

When I was in high school, I went through a Rodgers & Hammerstein movie stage.  I still  :001_wub:  musicals. 

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 2

I like old musicals -

Singin' in the Rain

The Seven Little Foys

Anchors Aweigh

Yankee Doodle Dandy

I find the transatlantic accent in a lot of old movies to be distracting. It never used to bother me but for some reason now it does.

To Sir, With Love is the first one that comes to mind, making it my favorite at the moment.  I'm sure there are others.

Years ago the movie rating included the rating M - For Mature Audiences. To Sir With Love was my first M rated movie. I felt so grown up. I was twelve. :D

• Like 2

The old Jerry Lewis/Dean Martin movies

Alfred Hichchock movies (remember The Birds?!)

I still enjoy watching Rear Window in the summer, when it is dreadfully hot outside, just like in the movie.

To Kill a Mockingbird

Definately, The Ghost and Mr. Chicken, as well as The Incredible Mr. Limpet

Me and My Arrow

Singing in the Rain

West Side Story

The Music Man

The Singing Nun (the one with Debbie Reynolds, if the name of that was right)

Spencer's Mountain

Father Goose

The Wizard of Oz

And so many more, don't get me started, guess I am showing my age...!   And I remember these were shown just about every summer, seems like many were on around midnight time and time again!

• Like 2

I can only list favorites otherwise list is too long.

Not necessarily in this order:

Sandlot

Cheaper by the Dozen & Sequel

Dial M for Murder

To Catch a Thief

Most Hitchcocks: The BIrds, Indiscreet, Notorious, etc

Life with Father with William Powell and Irene Dunne

The Debutante

Fried Green Tomatoes (not as old as the others)

• Like 1

yes.  there was an episode of remington steele I swear pierce brosnan was channeling cary grant from AaOL.

If we're talking older (not "old") TV shows, Remington Steele is one of our favorites - much better mysteries than so many other shows (in our opinion, of course).

• Like 3

Another one I thought of - The Trouble With Angels.  It's an old Hayley Mills film about two friends going to a boarding school run by nuns.  I want to say there's a sequel but I can't remember the title off the top of my head.

ETA: after looking through the cast on IMDB to try to find leads to the sequel, I realized that it must have had a few uncomfortable days of shooting.  Gypsy Rose Lee had a small part in the film, and the woman who played Mother Superior also played Ms. Lee's mother in the musical Gypsy.  I wonder what Ms. Lee thought of Ms. Russell's portrayal.

Edited by HomeAgain
  • Like 2

Another one I thought of - The Trouble With Angels.  It's an old Hayley Mills film about two friends going to a boarding school run by nuns.  I want to say there's a sequel but I can't remember the title off the top of my head.

ETA: after looking through the cast on IMDB to try to find leads to the sequel, I realized that it must have had a few uncomfortable days of shooting.  Gypsy Rose Lee had a small part in the film, and the woman who played Mother Superior also played Ms. Lee's mother in the musical Gypsy.  I wonder what Ms. Lee thought of Ms. Russell's portrayal.

Wasn't it the trouble with angels and where angels go trouble follows?

• Like 4

You Can't Take it With You. (Jimmy Stewart)

The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer (Teenaged Shirley Temple and Cary Grant)

Monkey Business (Cary Grant and Ginger Rogers)

I adore all three of those movies! They're all light comedy.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 2

You Can't Take it With You. (Jimmy Stewart)

The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer (Teenaged Shirley Temple and Cary Grant)

Monkey Business (Cary Grant and Ginger Rogers)

I adore all three of those movies! They're all light comedy.

And they were funny without being crude or vulgar or crass, unlike most of today's comedies.

• Like 7

Not as old as those above, but I loved the movies from the E.M. Forster novels - A Room with a View, Howard's End, Where Angels Fear to Tread. 

The 39 Steps - very early Hitchcock, based on the John Buchan book (but they changed the ending!) - is a good one too. 

• Like 2

Tammy and the Bachelor (based on the book, Tammy Out of Time, which I own), with Debbie Reynolds and Leslie Nielson

Good Morning, Miss Dove (based on the book by the same name, which I own), with Jennifer Jones

The Miracle of the Bells (based on the book by the same name, which I own) with Frank Sinatra and Fred MacMurray

Mrs. Miniver (based on the book by the same name, which I own), with Greer Garson and Walter Pidgeon, won six Oscars

Auntie Mame (based on the same book...yaddahaddahadda), with Rosalind Russel, three Oscars

Lassie Come-Home (ditto)

National Velvet (ditto)

Marnie (Sean Connery, Tippi Hedren)

Sargent York. :001_wub:

• Like 2

Mrs. Miniver (based on the book by the same name, which I own), with Greer Garson and Walter Pidgeon, won six Oscars

A

rather appropriate right now as a remake of dunkirk is coming out - and it touches on the english regular people side of sending out every boat in that part of england for the evacuation. . .

• Like 3

I love old movies. I watched them with my mom, then watched them with my children, and I watch alone.

Some favorites:

Arsenic and Old Lace

My Fair Lady

Oliver

Auntie Mame (Rosiland Russel, not Lucille Ball)

Meet Me in St. Louis

Gaslight

North by Northwest

To Catch a Thief

Bringing up Baby

A Majority of One

12 Angry Men

An Affair to Remember

Whatever Happened to Baby Jane

So many great movies.

• Like 3

Not as old as those above, but I loved the movies from the E.M. Forster novels - A Room with a View, Howard's End, Where Angels Fear to Tread. 

The 39 Steps - very early Hitchcock, based on the John Buchan book (but they changed the ending!) - is a good one too. 

I have seen all of those EM Forster movies but it has been a long time.  I should rematch them.  A Passage to India is my favorite.

.  It's an old Hayley Mills film 

I used to love Hayley Mills in The Parent Trap. I'll still watch that movie if I happen to come across it while flipping channels.

My mom and I used to enjoy watching An Affair to Remember. I loved it when it was used in When Harry Met Sally ("Men just don't get this movie").

• Like 1

Ones I haven't seen mentioned are The Ghost and Mrs. Muir and The Quiet Man.

I love the Quiet Man. Haven't seen The Ghost and Mrs. Muir in a long time, but I have good feelings when I think about it, so it must have been good, lol.

• Like 2

I only picked films pre-1970:

Romeo and Juliet (1968)

The Invisible Man (1933)

Nosferatu (1929)

Lili (1953)

The Lion in Winter (1968)

Hello Dolly (1969)

The Magnificent Seven (1960)

The Great Escape (1963)

Harvey (1950)

Spartacus (1960)

just about any Charlie Chaplin film where he plays The Tramp

and many of the those mentioned by others in this thread. Also love The Twilight Zone series.

• Like 2

I used to love Hayley Mills in The Parent Trap. I'll still watch that movie if I happen to come across it while flipping channels.

My mom and I used to enjoy watching An Affair to Remember. I loved it when it was used in When Harry Met Sally ("Men just don't get this movie").

never saw whms - but that exact line was used in you've got mail in reference to it.

maybe I don't get it either . . .

• Like 2

never saw whms - but that exact line was used in you've got mail in reference to it.

maybe I don't get it either . . .

Wait, it wasn't whms, it was the one with Tom Hanks where they meet at the top of the Empire State Building just like in An Affair to Remember. Grrr. Brain fart...off to google.

Sleepless in Seattle.

• Like 1

Wait, it wasn't whms, it was the one with Tom Hanks where they meet at the top of the Empire State Building just like in An Affair to Remember. Grrr. Brain fart...off to google.

Sleepless in Seattle.

I love Sleepless in Seattle. :-)

This scene:

• Like 2

Dh found this while flipping channels not long ago. I sat down only to watch the part where they whistle the famous tune. That's really the only part of the movie I like :) but I'm not a fan of war movies anyway.

I watch war movies with dh sometimes, but usually they aren't my favorite.

I always feel like BOTRK isn't really about war though - its more of a psychological movie.  The ending where the Alec Guinness suddenly realizes what his attachment to order has made him do is wonderful IMO.

• Like 4

Sleepless in Seattle.

yeah - I got the name mixed up too.  but it was still tom hanks and what's her name. . . . (I really can't remember it.)

• Like 2

I second, third...fourth anything with Katherine Hepburn

Father was a Fullback (love Maureen O’Hara and Natalie Wood too!). I just realized Fred MacMurray was in this. I think he was in Follow me Boys  - I remember a twelve-year-old (or so) Kurt Russell in that one.

The Birds

The Bad Seed (so melodramatic in parts but so good!)

Arsenic and Old Lace gets yet another vote!

• Like 1

We LOVE old movies.

Cary Grant, Audrey Hepburn, Jimmy Stewart movies are favorites.

We loved The Thin Man film series with William Powell and Myrna Loy.  They are very old (first one was 1934) but very witty.

• Like 1