Menu

S/O: Public school supplies - public school fees & other costs?

Can someone who lives in a district that requires medical exams tell me what they are looking for there? Is it like a sports physical that has to be done right before the school year starts? Is it just proof that the child has had an exam within the last year? I'm just wondering because most kids get an annual checkup around their birthday and insurance only pays for one well visit per year by the time they are school aged. 

The only medical requirement for school attendance here is proof of vaccinations in order to start K. Extracurriculars may require physicals - sports in particular. Most doctors here do those for $20. 

Our school system requires medical exams and we just go once a year around their birthday.  That is what our insurance will cover.  We just provide the school system a copy of the current medical record and send updated reports with each annual visit.  The only scenario I can think of that would require multiple children to have to get a physical right before school begins is if you have multiple children starting school that have never had a physical before.  My daughter has done school sports since 6th grade (that is when they begin here ) and the annual physical has always also been the sports physical.  

• Like 2

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone who lives in a district that requires medical exams tell me what they are looking for there? Is it like a sports physical that has to be done right before the school year starts? Is it just proof that the child has had an exam within the last year? I'm just wondering because most kids get an annual checkup around their birthday and insurance only pays for one well visit per year by the time they are school aged. 

The only medical requirement for school attendance here is proof of vaccinations in order to start K. Extracurriculars may require physicals - sports in particular. Most doctors here do those for $20. 

There must be a form because I am asked if I have a school form when I bring my summer birthday kid in for her physical. I expect the doctor can fill out the form in Aug if you brought them in in March, for example. There may be an extra document fee for that, I don't really know. I could be very wrong in my assumptions.

• Like 2

As I was reading the other thread on excessive supplies, I noticed some people mentioned their school supplied the scissors, etc. So, I was curious what are the costs to attending public school in your area.

In my school district:

• Supplies are approx $50 for elementary school lists, $75 for middle school & there aren't lists for high school.
  • Registration fees are Grades PK - 5: $120, 6-8 $145, 9-12 $175.
  • Dr. Exam needed in PK, K, 6, & 9 and first time enrollment. Dentist Exam needed in K, 2, & 6 and first time enrollment. Eye exam needed for first time enrollment (K or whenever you enter the school district).
  • Only one school (PK-8) has a uniform: khakis and blue polo shirts. 
  • Breakfast is $1.70-$2.00 depending on grade. Lunch is $2.60-$3.00 depending on grade.

All of these would add up quickly for anyone with more than one child. I, with 3 kids, would spend about $175-$200 on supplies (high schooler so a little bit of an unknown), $440 for fees, $ for dr, dentist & eye exams, uniforms for 2 kids, and that's before we cover food and any unknown, random fees. I assume you can get a waiver/discount for free/reduced lunch income levels, but that's not outlined anywhere on the website. I find this appalling for a "free" eduation. 

We just got done buying supplies for five kiddos - PreK, PreK, K, 2nd, and 4th.  They added up to average $25 per kid, not counting gym shoes.

Registration fees are $30 per child K-4.

Dr. exam, vision exam, and dental exam are all needed but the annual check ups (covered by insurance) are sufficient.

No uniforms - but really, that's the cheap way.  I had uniforms in high school.  You owned FAR less clothing, nice clothes stayed nice, and name brands don't matter.

Breakfast is $1.50 (optional) and lunch is $2.50.

Appalling?  I don't know.  Once upon a time teachers covered an insane amount of expenses.  If they wanted simple things like a box of Kleenex, it went on their dime.  Now they add it in.  Yes, yes, it definitely adds up for any family, no doubt.

On the other hand, I tried to look at the positive side since I am not thrilled to be sending my kids to school.

On Friday I spent $125 on school supplies (on sale obviously) for five kids.

On Monday I will drop $50 on Spanish books (2 kids) and $70 on Chemistry (1 kid) for homeschooling.  Homeschooling is FAR more expensive, especially when you consider Mom foregoing that second salary, but immeasurably worth it.  As I look forward to high school, I can see that your registration ($175) is super high.  But, on the other hand, I spent $641 on College Algebra (Algebra III) last year because I couldn't teach it for DS.  

I'm not trying to be ornery but I think the problem here is the same problem as telling people that carob is a good alternative to chocolate.  Ugh.  Carob is fine all it's own. The problem comes when you tell someone it's like chocolate.

Same problem here.  Parents should expect to invest in their child's education.  They should have that vested interest and be telling their child their contribution is for their best, for their education.  The problem comes when someone says "free education" and then everyone is mad about it not being free.  

Edited by BlsdMama
  • Like 4

We get a health form for the parent to fill out (listing health issues/medications) and turn in along with a copy of the most recent physical from the child's doctor. Our pediatrician provides a free one page summary printout at every annual physical, with immunization history, to be used for school/sports/camps, etc. I always make a bunch of copies.  If we give the pediatrician's office extra forms to fill out after that visit there is a fee. 

This is from our school handbook:

ANNUAL PHYSICALS

If it is your child’s first year, please send in the most recent physical and immunization record.  Parents/guardians of returning scholars are encouraged to send in a copy of your child's physical every year following his/her annual physical to keep your child's school health record updated. If your child will be participating on a school sports team, then a current physical within thirteen months of the first day of practice for that sport is required to be on file in the school nurse's office.

Thanks for the reminder that I need to schedule this year's visit!

• Like 1

Hunh, turns out we are eligible for free lunches - we're well under the income limit for our household size. Kind of surprises me, in that we have no problems feeding our kids decent food. But otoh, three school lunches a day at $3/kid -> $9/day * 180 days = $1620, and no, I don't have an extra $1620 in the budget. So, yeah, I feel like we couldn't afford to buy the school lunch. Which is why I'd have solved the problem by sending lunch from home. But for kids for whom bringing lunch from home isn't really an option, not being able to afford school lunch would mean no lunch. So I can see why it would make sense to qualify from that angle.

So while I'm still having giant negative reactions to the whole concept of mandatory *public* school fees (when I say "school fees", I feel like I'm talking about going to Hogwarts or something, not about registering for the local public school), I suppose it's nice to know families like ours *are* indeed eligible for waivers.

Edited by forty-two

re physicals:

In CT, the physical just has to be within the last 12 months.  The full form is required for entry, and then again at 6th and 10th grade; and updated immunization records are required every 2 years.  It's a state law, not by district; and private schools must comply with it too, and the state does send nurses to schools to spot-check the files, so both public and private schools really will literally not let kids start unless the forms are in order.  Most summer day camps require it as well, so people get it once from the doctor and make multiple copies to give out as needed.

Public schools will refer anyone who asks to public clinics who will do the required physical and the immunizations for free (I don't know about wait time).

• Like 2

It may well be, but for some families, spacing out the copay for several children, for example, one $25 copay every month, skipping December, for 5 children is preferable to paying $125 all at once in August, but it must be done then before school starts. $125 is our entire week's groceries, and not every family is able to move around that much money all at once.

Our school physicals and dental exams just have to be within the past 12 months. If you wanted to do them in February when you got your tax refund, it would be fine.

• Like 2

Hunh, turns out we are eligible for free lunches - we're well under the income limit for our household size. Kind of surprises me, in that we have no problems feeding our kids decent food. But otoh, three school lunches a day at $3/kid -> $9/day * 180 days = $1620, and no, I don't have an extra $1620 in the budget. So, yeah, I feel like we couldn't afford to buy the school lunch. Which is why I'd have solved the problem by sending lunch from home. But for kids for whom bringing lunch from home isn't really an option, not being able to afford school lunch would mean no lunch. So I can see why it would make sense to qualify from that angle.

So while I'm still having giant negative reactions to the whole concept of mandatory *public* school fees (when I say "school fees", I feel like I'm talking about going to Hogwarts or something, not about registering for the local public school), I suppose it's nice to know families like ours *are* indeed eligible for waivers.

Seems I spoke too soon. Fee waivers are just for families who are eligible for *free* lunches (not reduced lunches), and we qualify for *reduced* lunches (up to 185% of federal poverty level) but not *free* lunches (up to 130% of federal poverty level). So, no, we and families like us owe the full fees. $600 for our family if I registered all the kids at the local school. Every year.

I cannot imagine a public school with registration fees. Seriously, my eyes are wide and my jaw is in a fully dropped position.

I'm right with you. I had *no* idea it was a thing anywhere till this thread. And when I saw posters saying it was a thing in Chicagoland, I'm all, "Hey, wait - *I'm* in Chicagoland! Are public school fees a thing at *our* schools?!?"

And, yep, turns out they are. $200/kid at *our* K-8, and $315 for incoming freshman at *our* high school :svengo:. I was totally flabbergasted. I ranted in incredulous disbelief to dh, as I looked up all the local districts and saw that, yep, every one of them had $100+ registration fees. And when he got tired of listening to me ;), I called my sister to continue ranting. Because I seriously cannot wrap my brain around it. $600 this year and every year just to *enroll* my three kids at the local K-8. I've never heard of such a thing. (You can tell I didn't grow up here.)

• Like 1

I'm right with you. I had *no* idea it was a thing anywhere till this thread. And when I saw posters saying it was a thing in Chicagoland, I'm all, "Hey, wait - *I'm* in Chicagoland! Are public school fees a thing at *our* schools?!?"

And, yep, turns out they are. $200/kid at *our* K-8, and $315 for incoming freshman at *our* high school :svengo:. I was totally flabbergasted. I ranted in incredulous disbelief to dh, as I looked up all the local districts and saw that, yep, every one of them had $100+ registration fees. And when he got tired of listening to me ;), I called my sister to continue ranting. Because I seriously cannot wrap my brain around it. $600 this year and every year just to *enroll* my three kids at the local K-8. I've never heard of such a thing. (You can tell I didn't grow up here.)

That's exactly what I did when one of my friends posted on Facebook a few years ago about dropping a ton of money on registration day. My DH got tired of hearing about it too, and we don't even use the schools. It just doesn't sit right with me - if we have "free" education available to all, then it should be free (at the point of service), imo. 

Edited by beckyjo
  • Like 2

I've (at times) been jealous of the extracurriculars offered by various schools.

Then I found that the band program at my friend's daughter's school costs $900/year (they are low income and were covered by a scholarship). 

Not quite as jealous anymore!

Emily

I cannot imagine a public school with registration fees. Seriously, my eyes are wide and my jaw is in a fully dropped position.

I know right? I've never heard of that before either. I must be living under a rock. When I was in school we were expected to pay for choir uniforms, PE uniforms, the AP exams, and the occasional field trip. Each sport organized their own fees or fundraising as needed. The rest in terms of supplies and food were decided upon by each family.

For us, everything academic is free if the student quaifies for free lunch,.everythng but lunch is free if student qualifies for reduced lunch. For ecs: Booster clubs provide for ec supplies except for pit orchestra instruments and sports personal equipment. Transportation to/from rehearsals, all county music, and nonleague sports games/meets are on the parents.

If not free or red lunch: Field trips are 30 to 70 ( optional, your child can stay at school for the day; parent chaperones also pay). Band is a class but supplies are on the parent...lesson book plus mouthpiece for school owned instrument, or rent/buy your own instrument or drum sticks/pad. PE is swim suit, shorts/tshirt/sneakers. AP is the exam fee, DE is about 150 per class if offered at the high school, if you have to go the CC its about 200/credit hour and you supply your own transportation. All books for AP and DE are paid for by student. Graduation costs about 50 if using a hand-me-down cap and gown. School and sports physicals can be done by school nurse...but annual physicals are free under health care plans so really all you do is call if you didn't do your paperwork at the time of the annual.

In addition, mental health care is available for free. The school psychs and social worker have specific groups.that meet weekly for children of divorced parents, etc.

School lunch and breakfast are not required.

Middle.and high school.walk up to 2 miles on roads with no shoulders to meet the bus.

There are only 3 free classes for 12th graders who aren't remedial...they take four study halls if they can't pay for DE or AP.

Edited by Heigh Ho

Nope, don't get those back, and if the books are too damaged, you then have to pay the full cost of the book as if it were brand new. I remember being in middle school decades ago and when we got our books, the teacher would take out a damage checklist and everyone would have to go through the books and note any damage that was already in them, like if someone had highlighted a bunch of stuff on a particular page. That way at the end of the year, you could go back and show that those pages were already highlighted before you got the book.

It never occurred to me to see about buying the book rather than pay the rental fee, and I am sure it hasn't really occurred to others either.

I buy a lot of my kids' textbooks to keep a copy at home. That way they don't have to haul a huge bag home or if their textbooks are electronic, they have the option to use a hard copy version. I always use the hard copy version when I help them study.

• Like 1

I saved a bundle when DD switched from homeschooling to public high school. I'm not even a big spender with the homeschooling stuff, but DIY high school is pricey. Our district still uses real books. We did pay some lab and consumable materials fees, but they were all less and $50.

I remember having book fees when I was in school in IL. I think it was around $50 when I was in high school. Just checked the same district's website and it's $100-150 depending on grade level. 

Here in TX I don't hear about registration/book fees. We had one child in ps a couple of years ago. There were no physicals required, just the vaccination record. (free clinic available) They do a vision screening at school. Supplies were $50ish - many people ordered the package from the PTA for the convenience, but I think that was a little higher.

We were at a uniform school. It is "inexpensive", but it was a lot more than I usually spend on clothes per year. (We are blessed with clothing from 3 grandma's and I other wise shop thrift stores etc.) My kid took a lunch every day, so I don't remember what the hot lunch prices were.

I liked this school a lot, but one of my biggest pet peeves was that I felt nickeled and dimed throughout the year. There was the main PTA fundraiser (not product sales, just getting donations) but then other things came up during the year. None of it was required but it was hard not to feel the pressure. I think I sent in money about half the time, though I didn't keep track of the amounts. 

I do know that that year cost me more than I'd spent per year previously for homeschooling that child. (I'm not especially frugal when curriculum shopping either.) That is for elementary. Logic stage is costing me more and I know it will probably go up. 

Edited by kesmom

If it's optional, sure. I absolutely agree. I hate bake sales and all that nonsense. Just tell me upfront what your budget shortfall is and what you hope to buy with my donation, and I'll write a check. (Or possibly I'll divide the total and write out 20 checks, postdated, one for each pay period.)

But the key word is "optional".

• Like 1

I saved a bundle when DD switched from homeschooling to public high school. I'm not even a big spender with the homeschooling stuff, but DIY high school is pricey. Our district still uses real books. We did pay some lab and consumable materials fees, but they were all less and $50.

Us too. DS's school offers courses that would be serious money for a homeschooler to do. He's getting all kinds of computer, engineering, and tech classes, plus the normal academics, and then the after school stuff he can do is cheaper. Sending him to this school was partly a financial decision. 

Still- they have class dues, beg for donations all the time, and there's fees for PE uniforms. I was told PE uniforms are optional and he can wear his own clothes. There was a fee for guitar but we were able to avoid it by providing our own instrument. Guitar classes are expensive outside of school so it'd have been a deal even if we paid. We had to buy notebooks, etc., but that's expected. I don't think we paid anything else. 

In elementary, there are no fees- we send supplies that our kid gets to keep, but we can donate more for the classroom. I sent some in several times when the teacher sent out requests. Field trips were about $30. 

I'm paying for my kids to eat breakfast and lunch whether it's here or there, so I don't count that as school money. They sometimes pack a lunch and sometimes don't. 

There's a requirement for a health certificate but that's only upon initial registration and not annually. 

Last year was the first year both boys went to our local PS.  The school lunch is $3 but then they offer all this other stuff.  Often my older son would get the equivalent of 2 lunches with his added foods, making his lunch $5-$6!

I told him this year we are not doing that.  I will pay the $3 per day if he wants, but he will either need to take his lunch every other day to accommodate the $6 lunches, or he will need to take the "extras."

The other idea I even considered is to say, "Hey, you have $3 per day for lunch.  If you take your own, you can keep the $3."  It might be an incentive to take his own and eat a little healthier.

When we were having a problem with my son buying extras, we were able to put a hold on his account. He could buy the lunch, but no extras at all.  (Now that we are no longer reduced lunch, we budget 1 lunch a week and put that amount into an account for them.  He can check the menus and choose to use it whenever he wants.)

Edited by vonfirmath

When we were having a problem with my son buying extras, we were able to put a hold on his account. He could buy the lunch, but no extras at all.  (Now that we are no longer reduced lunch, we budget 1 lunch a week and put that amount into an account for them.  He can check the menus and choose to use it whenever he wants.)

Yeah, he says it isn't enough food.  He often gets the $3 meal and a chef salad, which is another $3.

I am happy to put together a large salad for him every day that he can take in a lunch box.

Yeah, he says it isn't enough food.  He often gets the $3 meal and a chef salad, which is another $3.

I am happy to put together a large salad for him every day that he can take in a lunch box.

I'd be packing a hearty snack to go with lunch. We cannot afford $6 in meals everyday!  THis came up locally because at the HS, in particular, a lot of athletes do not feel the lunch is filling enough and end up eating two meals if they buy on campus; as I understand it more are now bringing food from home and not buying at all due to not getting full being a big problem.

Fees cannot be demanded here in public schools. They are voluntary contributions. As such, I don't make them. Our public schools are meant to be 100% taxpayer funded; ever increasing 'voluntary' contributions are papering over the cracks in funding. I don't choose to help the system do so. 

Things I have paid for: excursions, camps, required textbooks or materials. Mostly because without them, dd would be unable to participate. (This isn't legal, but common.)

We do give TIME to the public schools and VOTE in their best interests.

In NZ a state (public) school cannot legally charge fees only ask for donations.  Of course that doesn't stop them applying pressure by handing out late payment notices in class (or in one case at least setting debt collectors on parents which resulted in big trouble for the school and stress for the parents), not letting kids take part in dances or releasing results (also didn't end well for the school).  

The first school my kids went to had a donation of $50 per kid or $70 per family, $50 - $60 stationery per child including photocopy fee plus field trips, performances and swimming lessons about another $100 per child per year.  It was one of the two primary schools left without a uniform.  Each sport cost between $5 and $80 per 10 week term.  Camp was annually for years 5 and 6 and $130ish I think but we opted out when ds10 was in year 5 then moved.  High schools have higher donations more expensive camps, sports and uniforms plus exam fees and most require a laptop of similar to be supplied by the student as well as stationery.  Some primary schools require a digital device of some kids (chromebook, ipad or windows laptop most  common) but it is not as common due to small children, minimal or no security and expensive stuff is hard work.

eta none of the schools I know of supply food but at many you can order sushi one day a week from an outside provider or Subway another day.  It is normal here for kids to take their own food and eat it outside with one teacher supervising.

eta2 Unless your school is being provided lunches by a charity which are just cold packed lunches.

so you eat them outside as well.

Edited by kiwik
  • Like 1

I'd be packing a hearty snack to go with lunch. We cannot afford $6 in meals everyday!  THis came up locally because at the HS, in particular, a lot of athletes do not feel the lunch is filling enough and end up eating two meals if they buy on campus; as I understand it more are now bringing food from home and not buying at all due to not getting full being a big problem.

Last year I really had a hard time adjusting to working full time and just didn't have the energy.  Yes, I know I could have made him do it, but I didn't.  And at the time, I just figured it would be an added expense with me working full time and since we had planned to send him to private school for $11K, I figured $1K and a savings of $10K was worth just paying it.

This year we are changing things up.  I have told both kids they will need to take lunch a lot more this year.

• Like 1

We don't pay fees.

Before homeschool, I sent a child to K and 1st, then another to K at a charter school that was half refugee and Title 1. No fees at all for that school, uniforms were super cheap (any blue pants, any blue shirt...easy to find thrifting at little sizes), and supplies were around $25 a year. Heavy expectation of time volunteering, though.

The thing that has ticked me off the most locally is fees to graduate. So the kid goes to school for 13 years and earns the credits to graduate, and then has to pay a graduation fee to walk at commencement. If he/she doesn't pay, the diploma is mailed but the student cannot walk or even attend graduation. One of the school districts was $450.00 for the graduation package which was mandatory in order to attend commencement. This included cap and gown, eight graduation tickets (limited seating so students do not get to just invite all of their extended family to come), an 8x10 photo at commencement, presentation folder, and embossed diploma (if you don't pay for the package, you get plain paper, nasty looking diploma because the school is so darn determined to punish poor kids).

That's it. For $450.00. 

It makes me VERY angry.

DS's elementary, there are zero fees and supplies are provided. They did ask in K to send prepackaged snacks a couple of times, enough for 2 classrooms (basically, a box of something from Costco covered it), but it wasn't mandatory.

The charter DD attended in 6th grade had a $100 arts fee for middle school. It was an arts-focused charter school and the fee defrayed the cost of the arts programs. However, they didn't keep anyone out over the fee--they would work with students/parents to get it paid over the course of the year if they couldn't afford to pay the whole thing up front.

My only experience with this thing is listening to my SIL, who is a teacher.

I live in Ontario.

For grades 1 to 6: No school fees. No school ever provides lunch, no cafeteria or eating area, everyone eats in the classroom. They don't provide lists of needed stuff at the start of the school year They just provide things they want the kids to have if they don't bring them. The only expection is kids must have indoor shoes for gym class.

They do, when needed provide back packs, snow pants, and jackets. SIL says most of these things are needed just because kids forget stuff, or things get lost.

I only know from hearing from my (adult) step daughter. And just know for elementary... so details might not be right.

It does vary from school to school... and district to district. No registration fee. Students pay about $50 for a school planner (that the teacher may or may not have them use). There is a cost for the bus... something that varies widely is the cost to stay for lunch (bring your own food, eat in classroom.... cost is for supervision. I think you might be able to pay more and get milk?). That cost varies from free to something like $50/month or more.... big discussion on the local parent's board back in september)

There would be field trip fees etc too.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

I wonder how transportation relates to fees in some ways. At DD21's high school, they offered bus service to EVERYONE, including the kids that lived NEXT DOOR to the school. I was picking her up one day and didn't get there before the buses pulled out so I got stuck waiting. I watched a bus pull out of the parking lot, make a right and then stop to let a kid off. I was in shock. The kid lived so close that riding a bike would have been silly. The distance from the door of the school to his front door would have been equivalent to walking across a grocery store parking lot. Now, for kids who didn't live within walking distance, there was no public transportation, so buses made sense for that. But for the kids who lived NEXT DOOR? Really? That kind of transportation is really completely unnecessary for the school to provide, so I wonder how much of the "fees" in some areas actually goes to unnecessary transportation or other similarly unnecessary expenses.

Where I live,

1.5 miles is walking for grade 7 and up.

1 mile is walking up to grade 6.

However, if walking requires crossing a very busy road the district may offer a bus if they cannot provide a crossing guard. So I've seen some bus stops that are almost right across the street.

We don't pay school tax here in Australia at all.

When I had a foster child who was attending school earlier this year the school fee for a private catholic school was $700 per year. This included swimming lessons and music.

No other fees for books or anything else at all

Edited by Melissa in Australia

We don't pay school tax here in Australia at all.

When I had a foster child who was attending school earlier this year the school fee for a private catholic school was $700 per year. This included swimming lessons and music.

No other fees for books or anything else at all

Swimming lessons and music (in a group setting, not private) would cost more than that here. I wish both swimming and music were priorities.

• Like 1

I wonder how transportation relates to fees in some ways.  At DD21's high school, they offered bus service to EVERYONE, including the kids that lived NEXT DOOR to the school.  I was picking her up one day and didn't get there before the buses pulled out so I got stuck waiting.  I watched a bus pull out of the parking lot, make a right and then stop to let a kid off.  I was in shock.  The kid lived so close that riding a bike would have been silly.  The distance from the door of the school to his front door would have been equivalent to walking across a grocery store parking lot.  Now, for kids who didn't live within walking distance, there was no public transportation, so buses made sense for that.  But for the kids who lived NEXT DOOR?  Really?  That kind of transportation is really completely unnecessary for the school to provide, so I wonder how much of the "fees" in some areas actually goes to unnecessary transportation or other similarly unnecessary expenses. 

Yikes! Here, it's a half a mile for elementary, a mile for elementary. BUT if there is NO sidewalk then a bus is provided even if you closer than that mileage.

• Like 1

Australians place being able to do basic swimming very high. It is expected that most schools would provide some swimming lessons. Private schools tend to have more hours of swimming per year than public schools

Private swimming lessons are very expensive here as well. My twins have private lessons for $56 per week( together, no group) It is therapy for them, helping with brain rewiring.

Doctor, dentist, and eye exams are something that responsible parents are doing anyway so while I support having county health clinics for the uninsured, I don't have sympathy for irresponsible parents whining about having to take their kids in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's nice.  We don't have county health clinics.

We get a health form for the parent to fill out (listing health issues/medications) and turn in along with a copy of the most recent physical from the child's doctor. Our pediatrician provides a free one page summary printout at every annual physical, with immunization history, to be used for school/sports/camps, etc. I always make a bunch of copies. If we give the pediatrician's office extra forms to fill out after that visit there is a fee.

This is from our school handbook:

ANNUAL PHYSICALS

If it is your child’s first year, please send in the most recent physical and immunization record. Parents/guardians of returning scholars are encouraged to send in a copy of your child's physical every year following his/her annual physical to keep your child's school health record updated. If your child will be participating on a school sports team, then a current physical within thirteen months of the first day of practice for that sport is required to be on file in the school nurse's office.

Thanks for the reminder that I need to schedule this year's visit!

According to the wording above, they're only required for athletes and first-year students.

• Like 1

The thing that has ticked me off the most locally is fees to graduate. So the kid goes to school for 13 years and earns the credits to graduate, and then has to pay a graduation fee to walk at commencement. If he/she doesn't pay, the diploma is mailed but the student cannot walk or even attend graduation. One of the school districts was $450.00 for the graduation package which was mandatory in order to attend commencement. This included cap and gown, eight graduation tickets (limited seating so students do not get to just invite all of their extended family to come), an 8x10 photo at commencement, presentation folder, and embossed diploma (if you don't pay for the package, you get plain paper, nasty looking diploma because the school is so darn determined to punish poor kids).

That's it. For $450.00. 

It makes me VERY angry.

:scared:

At my son's school, everything except cap/gown was provided for free. His cap and gown cost $40.  They received their presentation folder at graduation, and then was mailed the diploma, a class picture, and a professional picture of the graduate receiving their diploma.

I wonder how transportation relates to fees in some ways.  At DD21's high school, they offered bus service to EVERYONE, including the kids that lived NEXT DOOR to the school.  I was picking her up one day and didn't get there before the buses pulled out so I got stuck waiting.  I watched a bus pull out of the parking lot, make a right and then stop to let a kid off.  I was in shock.  The kid lived so close that riding a bike would have been silly.  The distance from the door of the school to his front door would have been equivalent to walking across a grocery store parking lot.  Now, for kids who didn't live within walking distance, there was no public transportation, so buses made sense for that.  But for the kids who lived NEXT DOOR?  Really?  That kind of transportation is really completely unnecessary for the school to provide, so I wonder how much of the "fees" in some areas actually goes to unnecessary transportation or other similarly unnecessary expenses. 

Our district buses for distances more than a mile, unless there are exceptions.  And the exceptions are very busy roads (pretty common) and unsafe neighborhoods for kids (also common).  So I would say that less that half of the kids in that 1 mile radius actually are expected to walk to school.

I don't know the exact boundary for bus service in our district. DS lives too close to ride the bus (0.17 miles). However, in Kindergarten the policy was that parents were required to pick children up from school, he couldn't walk home (even though he walked TO school on his own in the mornings starting in late fall). I'm pretty sure they got away with this policy because kindergarten isn't compulsory.

Our local public school is very low income. so:

free breakfast for all

lunch about $2, but most get it reduced or free

no fees required for trips/books, but suggested donations (some suggestions stronger than others!)

supplies needs vary, but needy can get a free backpack filled with supplies from local non-profit

uniform/dress code: varies from school to school, usually khakis/polo, can get from wherever. Parent groups run trade/donation programs

We send our kid to an out of district public charter middle school

lunch is 3.70 per day, but pay by month, must be pre-ordered the previous month

breakfast available for a fee (?$)

main fee: $300 per year to cover grade level activities, including at least one multi-day trip. sliding scale available on request

that fee seems to cover books, which stay at school almost always (exception: advanced math teacher lent his 9 students an extra textbook to keep at home since it is huge)

supplies are very specific, probably runs to $100 by year end, not including optional TI calculator, but most kids use online calculator/etc, using classroom chromebooks (school keeps a full set in each classroom, kids log in to google classroom from wherever)

no uniform

What gets me about this is that charter schools were started in large part to offer educational opportunities to students in low performing (which are often low income) districts. Coming up with fees like this means the class divide deepens since only higher income families will be able to afford the fees for the charter school.

In four years I'll have eight school age children. If a family like mine has the choice between a virtually free public school or a public charter with a minimum of $400 per student in fees and mandatory supplies they would likely have to go with the lower performing school because $3200 is a lot to come up, especially on top of doctor/dental copays, school clothes, haircuts, and so on.

Has anyone seen bus fees that they have now? When we were looking at places we might be moving to one had a school district that charged $200 per child, per semester as a bus fee. What are people supposed to do if they can't pay and don't own a car?

Edited by airforcefamily

Has anyone seen bus fees that they have now? When we were looking at places we might be moving to one had a school district that charged $200 per child, per semester as a bus fee. What are people supposed to do if they can't pay and don't own a car?

Ours was $250 per child per year in 2009 when my oldest was in kindergarten. It is waived for families on free and reduced lunch program and can be waived on a case by case hardship basis.

ETA:

Current rates

"If your family has more than one student who receives transportation services, there will be a reduction in the cost for each child:

ï‚· 1st child = $360 per year

ï‚· 2nd child = $300 per year

ï‚· 3rd child = $200 per year

ï‚· 4th or more = no cost (free pass)"

Edited by Arcadia

No bus fees here.

Bus fees are an issue. Most states do not have a law on the books that requires the school to provide transportation. Of course when there was a one room school house every few miles or even blocks that worked out okay. Then they consolidated districts and kids can live 15 miles from their school with parents possibly working the opposite direction and many schools limiting how far in advance students can be dropped off.

So access to education is an issue if the school is not providing transport.

We had a teacher one year decide that her class needed a $150 graphing calculator. Can't afford it? Go take a different class.

Several parents chewed up the school board over that which ended her demands.

I don't know the exact boundary for bus service in our district. DS lives too close to ride the bus (0.17 miles). However, in Kindergarten the policy was that parents were required to pick children up from school, he couldn't walk home (even though he walked TO school on his own in the mornings starting in late fall). I'm pretty sure they got away with this policy because kindergarten isn't compulsory.

The pK-2nd grade school here does not allow any child to walk home from school on their own.  Some of the kids are walked over to the adjacent Elementary school and walk home with an older sibling.