Menu

S/O: Public school supplies - public school fees & other costs?

As I was reading the other thread on excessive supplies, I noticed some people mentioned their school supplied the scissors, etc. So, I was curious what are the costs to attending public school in your area.

In my school district:

• Supplies are approx $50 for elementary school lists, $75 for middle school & there aren't lists for high school.
  • Registration fees are Grades PK - 5: $120, 6-8 $145, 9-12 $175.
  • Dr. Exam needed in PK, K, 6, & 9 and first time enrollment. Dentist Exam needed in K, 2, & 6 and first time enrollment. Eye exam needed for first time enrollment (K or whenever you enter the school district).
  • Only one school (PK-8) has a uniform: khakis and blue polo shirts. 
  • Breakfast is $1.70-$2.00 depending on grade. Lunch is $2.60-$3.00 depending on grade.

All of these would add up quickly for anyone with more than one child. I, with 3 kids, would spend about $175-$200 on supplies (high schooler so a little bit of an unknown), $440 for fees, $ for dr, dentist & eye exams, uniforms for 2 kids, and that's before we cover food and any unknown, random fees. I assume you can get a waiver/discount for free/reduced lunch income levels, but that's not outlined anywhere on the website. I find this appalling for a "free" eduation. 

• Like 3

Doctor, dentist, and eye exams are something that responsible parents are doing anyway so while I support having county health clinics for the uninsured, I don't have sympathy for irresponsible parents whining about having to take their kids in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

What the heck are registration fees?  I have never heard of this!  

$0 registration fees

$100 or so per kid for supplies

$100 per kid donation (not mandatory, just requested by PTO)

$20 each for Chromebook rental fees

$25 last year only for older son's science lab fees

Food is irrelevant.  They can take their own for no added costs.  If I CHOOSE to pay for it, it can run about $900 per child per year.

Doctor's visits are irrelevant because they would need those anyway, but my kids' insurance pays all for a yearly exam and shots, so $0

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 5

Our old school district had very specific items on the list, down to brand, color, and material.  The parents looking for red, yellow, and blue vinyl 3 prong folders were tearing their hair out all summer because as soon as they were unboxed at a store they were gone.

Breakfast was mandatory and full of sugar.  Lunch was reasonable, but I don't know how much.

My son's high school gave out supply lists two days before class started, which was a PITA.  Thankfully they were not as specific and we had most of it all at home anyway.

We just moved to a more affluent district.  The lists are incredibly small: crayons, baby wipes, Kleenex, Ziplocs...for K-1st.  2nd has the addition of binder, pencils, and headphones to use with the class Ipads, and twice as many baby wipes needed. :huh: But they only want twistable crayons, which means every week I'd be throwing out empty plastic sleeves and buying new $3 sets of crayons, because my kid is THAT kid.

Supply lists for elementary and middle can run anywhere from $30 to $60.  High school, each class might have different requirements.  When my oldest was in high school, some of her classes required a laptop, if the kids didn't have one they could rent one from the school for like $200 a semester.  And yes, I am aware that a kid could probably buy an acceptable laptop for that price.  Some classes might require a graphing calculator (I don't know if they still do though with so many requiring the laptops or tablets.  Oh, she also took an art class where she had to buy her own oils and brushes.  All the school supplied was the canvas. 

No "registration fees"  but we pay "book rental."  This varies by class/grade.  When DD8 and DD6 were in the local school, DD8 was $165 for first, DD6 was $110 for pre k.  When DD21 was in high school, these book rental fees were not that much different than college text book fees, with some classes being as high as $150 a semester.  One year we spent some $600 or so on her book fees.  Shots needed prior to Kindy, prior to 6th and I think prior to high school too, but not sure.  No uniforms.  Breakfasts are $1.30 and lunches are $2.20.  I don't remember what they were at the old district., probably about the same.

I have no idea how some parents would have multiple kids in high school.  Between like $300+ for book fees, another $300+ for a laptop, plus whatever supplies a kid might need for a particular class, and then so many kids buy lunch EVERY DAY, maybe breakfast too, so that's like $600+ for lunches.....free public school is not free.

Rental fees?  You don't get those back?

My son lost an Algebra book in his charter school.  The school wanted to charge $70 for it.  It was out of print.  I found it on Amazon for $8 and the school accepted it instead.

i bet you could have purchased the books for those prices!

• Like 1

A registration fee for a public school? Or is this private?

I would question the legality of a registration fee for a public school.

These are the local public schools - I do not know of any school districts in the area that do not charge a registration fee.

ETA link: I am not in Chicagoland, but somewhat close. It's really common here.  http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20130821/news/708219933/

Edited by beckyjo

Yeah when my kids were in school, they always brought their lunch.  And ate breakfast here at home before school. 

Last year was the first year both boys went to our local PS.  The school lunch is $3 but then they offer all this other stuff.  Often my older son would get the equivalent of 2 lunches with his added foods, making his lunch $5-$6!

I told him this year we are not doing that.  I will pay the $3 per day if he wants, but he will either need to take his lunch every other day to accommodate the $6 lunches, or he will need to take the "extras."

The other idea I even considered is to say, "Hey, you have $3 per day for lunch.  If you take your own, you can keep the $3."  It might be an incentive to take his own and eat a little healthier.

• Like 3

In my district, school-wide title I schools do not charge them at all for anyone, but non-title 1 schools do unless a kid qualifies for free lunch. If DD were going to 8th grade at our zoned middle school, we'd need to pay $250, plus possibly other fees for specific classes. Most of this seems to be due to the Chromebook loan program (where, as far as I can tell, you basically buy the device, but don't get to keep it).

Pretty much no cost around here.  You can get free physicals through the school as well if needed/wanted.  Everyone is provided free breakfast and lunch (if needed or simply wanted).  Sports are free.  Supplies are technically not free, but most schools receive them from charities.  The high school now has a medical office on site as well.

I'm sure there are some costs here or there, but a lot of families just don't have money so I am sure that is considered and there is money from somewhere to help.

• Like 1

Doctor, dentist, and eye exams are something that responsible parents are doing anyway so while I support having county health clinics for the uninsured, I don't have sympathy for irresponsible parents whining about having to take their kids in.

I included it because my insurance charges $45 for a well child visit. x3 - that is not a small amount of money if you were to include it in August.  

Edit: Typo, $25 not $45. 

Edited by beckyjo
  • Like 2

Registration fee?  For entry into public school?  I agree with CW that I can't imagine that would withstand a lawsuit.

The state (not individual districts) require medical exams and immunization records for entry and every second year thereafter.  Schools will refer to a free clinic for those who need it.  No dental or vision required; free screening is offered (after school hours, so parents have to organize transportation) once a year.

Lunch is ~$2-5 (the lower end the pre-portioned meals; the higher if kids choose a bunch of items a la carte).  All students use identical cards, so it's invisible which kids are using prepaid funds paid online by their families and which are eligible for free lunch.  Breakfast is only available at the high school; younger kids have a snack break but must bring it in.  Kids can of course bring in lunch as well.

Younger student supplies run around ~50.  Pencils & erasers, facial tissues and Chlorox wipes go communal; all others are kept in a supply box in the kids' desk and return home at the end of the year (so scissors etc can be re-used).  Parent volunteers sharpen communal pencils so teaching time isn't interrupted by kids doing it in the middle of a lesson; they just swap out for a sharpened one.

No uniforms in any of the district schools around me.  There is one K-8 charter in the town south of me that requires khakis and blue or white polo shirts, which are not really any more expensive than any other kind of clothes kids might wear.

In my district, school-wide title I schools do not charge them at all for anyone, but non-title 1 schools do unless a kid qualifies for free lunch. If DD were going to 8th grade at our zoned middle school, we'd need to pay $250, plus possibly other fees for specific classes. Most of this seems to be due to the Chromebook loan program (where, as far as I can tell, you basically buy the device, but don't get to keep it).

Wow.  Our kids get Chromebooks and now that you mention it, there were two other fees I forgot about.  $25 lab fee for my high schoolers.  And then I think $20 each for Chromebook fees.

Definitely cheaper than yours!

And all the 7th grade went on a $300 two day trip.  It wasn't mandatory, but they wanted everyone to go.  They had it broken into three $100 payments, so that helped.

I have no idea about supplies.  There have never been registration fees.  Our district does require "uniforms", but they're the basic khakis and colored shirts type that you can buy anywhere.  Regular health check ups are a normal thing and currently covered by laws.  (That said, I know it's difficult to get appointments with state assistance.) My oldest usually packed lunch when he was in ps. I don't remember the costs to buy, and I'm sure they've changed by now, anyway.

I included it because my insurance charges $45 for a well child visit. x3 - that is not a small amount of money if you were to include it in August.  

But as a responsible parent, you'd be paying this regardless of whether your child is in school or not. This is a PARENTING cost, not a school cost.

• Like 12

We have no registration or book fees here.

I agree that my kids would go to the doctor once a year and the dentist twice a year regardless of school.  Insurance covers the majority

Many students brings laptops but the school has computers that all students can use (they just can't take them home.  I always encourage my kids to print things needed out at school.  Use their ink not mine.  By middle school not much is printed out but rather everything is uploaded to Goggle classroom.

This past year I paid for Middle Schooler:

$50ish worth of supplies at the beginning of the year

Lunch - about 2.40 per meal - My daughter always brought home lunch.  I can't see what he is buying on line and put restrictions a necessary

$25 field trip fee - not mandatory

$40 yearbook - not mandatory

$50 month tenor sax rental.  

$10 jazz band t-shirt - not mandatory

The school pays all fees for students that qualify.  Middle school sports are all free including uniforms.

For my High Schooler

$50 ish worth of supplies at the beginning of the year

$150 sport fee. She does 3 seasons of sports at $75 per sport with a $150 individual cap

$25 field trip fee - not mandatory

$50 yearbook - not mandatory

Again, The school pays for students that qualify.  This coming year I will be paying for AP exams as well.

But as a responsible parent, you'd be paying this regardless of whether your child is in school or not. This is a PARENTING cost, not a school cost.

Yep and I actually do them more often than is required.  More like once a year because my kids are almost never sick and it's hard to have a regular doctor in the event you need one if you never see him/her. 

I do think it is good that the schools here provide them if needed.  Some people truly need it and if it is absolutely required then they should provide a means for someone to get them who cannot afford them. 

• Like 4

Field Trips!  Ah yes, every field trip usually has a fee of like $5 to $10 per kid per trip.  And the high school my oldest went to had a sports/activities fee that was mandatory even if you didn't play a sport. 

a sports fee even if you didn't play?  that would irritate me.

Although that may be where some of the $100 "requested donation" goes.  I didn't pay it last year but did the year before that.  I am not sure about this year.

I work at a different school.  One that is much poorer.  I would rather my $100 per kid go to that school and those kids who truly need it, you know?

These are the local public schools - I do not know of any school districts in the area that do not charge a registration fee.

ETA link: I am not in Chicagoland, but somewhat close. It's really common here. http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20130821/news/708219933/

I am in the Chicagoland area. I don't have any experience with the lower grades in our district, but dd attends the local public high school part-time. I just looked up her fees for next year.

$88 general fee (which includes a $7 towel fee and she doesn't take PE there. I never checked to see if it was removed for her.)

$50 technology fee (they do have chrome books)

$231.50 totaled individual course fees for 5 full year courses ... art and science being the most expensive. I notice that Spanish includes a subscription to some textbook online component that I was never aware of her using, but she rarely needs to bring work home in that class.).

That comes to $369.50. They do have a waiver for people who qualify.

I didn't include lunch in there because dd usually brings her own. I think she buys lunch (less than $3) only a few times a year. Parents have the option of putting whatever $amount they choose on their child's account for lunches.

We live in a moderately high property tax area ... it would be higher, but we have a fairly large business tax base in our district. Other areas with comparable real estate prices and school ratings have much higher property taxes due to a smaller business tax base. (Why we bought here.)

Also, our state is so far behind in making budgeted allocations to the schools that our district raised property taxes to cover the shortfall and increased fees. Like 4 years behind ... amounting to millions of dollars owed to our district alone.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I don't know of any fees at our local PS; a good quarter of families wouldn't be able to pay registration fees. There's a supply list. School clothes need to meet a reasonable dress code. Pediatricians do your kindergarten exam at the age 5 well check-up, so there's no additional visit required, and will mail your vax record on request. I wouldn't be surprised at a small charge for field trips, but I don't think they do a lot of field trips after about second grade.

I think families have to pay for any AP and IB tests as well as college admissions tests, but I think that's the norm most places. High school students who want to park on campus have to pay a reasonable fee (I think ~20 a year).

Many elementary parents pay for before and after school care. Some of our elementary schools don't start until after 9.

Edited by 73349

Isn't this a little loaded?  To turn it around, a responsible society would ensure that all children had access to affordable health care regardless if they could pay or not. 

Well child visits were not required every year when I was a kid.  That didn't make our parents negligent.  It meant they took us in when something was wrong, not had us sit around in a germ filled office full of sick people when we were healthy.  We did well visits after infancy at the beginning of K, 6th, and high school annuals.

• Like 8

IIRC, our registration is around $35 for textbook fee (they don't have textbooks but I assume covers paper copies) and I believe a small technology fee. Those costs go up a bit in middle/high school. There may be a few more fees, but really it's reasonable, IMO.

Lunch is nearly $3, so with 3 students we spend a lot, but I don't mind as they get a hot, semi-healthy meal. 

Yearbooks, activity tickets and Chromebook insurance are optional. Extracurriculars can get pricey. 

Wow! Didn't realize that. 

In our district I believe only the Kindergarten and 7th grade check up is required, outside of sports anyway. Regardless, it should be done every year. 

I can't complain too hard because we have good insurance overall, but yeah well visits cost me at least $20.  Last one one of mine had cost $60 because I had to bring him three times for a vaccine and I have a copay even for a vaccine (where one doesn't see a doctor at all!).

• Like 1

Everything is free at our urban school where about half of all students are "economically disadvantaged" - and that is a low number compared to many other schools in the district. The kids do not lack for supplies. The teachers do ask for donations of wipes etc. There may be a fee of a few dollars for a field trip. I am sure that for the more expensive middle school field trips they work with people to make sure it's possible for everyone. Breakfast and lunch are free for everyone, I suppose because the number of eligible kids is so high that it's easier to just give it to everyone than process all those applications.  I think schools in better-off places require parents to spend a lot of money because they can get away with it, not because there's no other way.

• Like 1

There were book and other fees for PS even when I was a kid.

We had book & lab fees for certain classes and many extracurriculars had fees, but those were all optional. A registration fee doesn't sound optional, and that is why I would question the legality.

• Like 3

I have a copay even for a vaccine (where one doesn't see a doctor at all!).

Doesn't your county offer free vaccination clinics? I got postcard with a list of them when the state passed a law saying that all 7th grade students needed to get a TDaP booster a few years back.

Doesn't your county offer free vaccination clinics? I got postcard with a list of them when the state passed a law saying that all 7th grade students needed to get a TDaP booster a few years back.

not that I know of

I even had to pay for the flu vaccine for my kids.  They offer it free for adults (under our insurance) if you go to a pharmacy to have it done, but the pharmacies won't do children.

From parents,

$0 registration fees

$20 or so per kid for supplies (buying during sales. Only Kindergarten supplies are communal)

$5 twice a year per kid donation for teacher's gift each semester (not mandatory, just requested by room parents)

No book fees for K-8, not sure about high school

No technology fees

rental of music instruments for music and band are borne by parents and there are a few donated music instruments for those who can't afford to buy/borrow/rent

Only kindergarten field trips cost money, waived for those on free/reduced lunch program. 1st grade and up field trips were to free places.

PTA fundraisers cover

K-8 Music, Art and PE teacher cost partially because my district is affluent but cheapskate on fine arts and PE.

Field trip school bus costs

8th grade trip to D.C. is fundraised by the 8th graders each year.

Edited by Arcadia

The other idea I even considered is to say, "Hey, you have $3 per day for lunch.  If you take your own, you can keep the $3."  It might be an incentive to take his own and eat a little healthier.

That's a great idea! I may steal it. When he's going to school, DS says he's too lazy to make his own lunch and breakfast at home and then he spends more $$ than he should buying a la carte things from the cafeteria b/c he doesn't like the meal. We were clashing often about him going over budget, eating crap, and still being hungry and skinny. Next year, I'll just give him the cash and he can spend it at school how he wants or I'll take him grocery shopping and he can make his own choices. Either way- when the monthly cash is gone, he's SOL and it's PB&J.  

Edited by Paige
  • Like 1

I think our fees were around $60-$80 per kid last year, but it depends on the classes taken and the age (HS costs more than elementary, and art and science classes have additional lab or supplies fees). There was a new fee added for the new Chromebook program.

Edited by Word Nerd

My PS high school kid's fees for last year:

$20 foreign language workbook

$20 science lab fee

$1000 for band trips out-of-state/out-of-country, band class, marching band (my kid played in multiple bands/ensembles)

No book rental fees and my kid doesn't buy school lunch.

Every year someone starts a thread like this.

Lunch: you do not have to pay for lunch. You can bring lunch. Or if you have financial issues apply for reduced price/free lunch. If you qualify for that you get breakfast too.

School supplies: most elementary schools in my area have that PTA fundraiser that provides the supplies. I never bought that. I went and got ours on sale and waited to see what that teacher actually wanted, which was often different from the generic "all fourth graders need..."

Clothes: thus is up to the family. In schools that have uniforms, there reduced costs for liw income. I've of some schools PTAs collecting old uniforms and redistributing.

In high school a gym uniform is needed. It is possible to get old gym uniforms from older siblings or neighbors. I bought uniforms for my oldest, but not my other dc.

Field trips: limited to one or two that use transportation a year. Fees $10 or less. My dc have gone one more because the nature center is walking distance to school. For one high school field trip the class walked to public transportation and and took it to the museum.

Sports: $100/sport. You don't have to pay if you don't join the team.

Doctor: vaccinations and physicals can be done at public health clinic.

You can make public school expensive by buying everything and having the latest clothes, but totally not necessary.

ETA never heard of registration fees. DE isnot free in my state. A 3 credit cc class could cost $400. But the high school has 6 credits of English and 6 credits of history offered at the school and 3 credits of a GIS . If you take all 15 credits it costs about $50 total.

Edited by Diana P.
  • Like 1

There are no registration or rental fees in our schools. Our local schools are still very close to free. There is a school supply list, but we shopped during the back to school sales and really, it wasn't that expensive. If kids don't come in with supplies, they are provided. If they can't afford a field trip, the PTA will probably pay their way. Money rarely excludes anyone, but that is because not that many can't afford it, so the many can afford to help the few. 

There are fees, but they are for optional things like field trips, sports, and DE classes and went up as kids got older and activities got more expensive. There were usually some waivers available for those who qualified, and as I said, PTA and other organizations helped families that needed help with some of these things too. 

I had no idea schools charged registration fees, book rentals, computer rentals, etc. This is a whole new world to me. 

• Like 1

It may well be, but for some families, spacing out the copay for several children, for example, one $25 copay every month, skipping December, for 5 children is preferable to paying $125 all at once in August, but it must be done then before school starts. $125 is our entire week's groceries, and not every family is able to move around that much money all at once.

I don't know of any schools that have registration fees or book rentals! Registration is free and all textbooks are provided by the districts. Students have to buy school supplies and there are fees for things like art or science classes that use extra supplies, but those fees are usually around $30. Everyone on free/reduced lunch gets fees waived or reduced. In my district, extracurriculars are technically free, but you may have to pay for things like band uniform rentals, sports shoes or equipment. Some surrounding districts have high fees for extracurricular activities.

• Like 1

I live in Chicagoland, and before this thread I had *no idea* that registration/book fees were a thing. As it turns out, at our local high school, registration fees for incoming freshman are $315, and that covers most things (not the PE uniform and heart rate monitor strap, but does include book fees for individual classes and the apparently ubiquitous chromebook). Wrt the legality of it all, per the linked article, IL law allows schools to charge fees to cover consumables.

Still, though, I am really shocked by it. I grew up in TX, and as far as I know, the only things we paid for were school supplies and instrument rental. Oh, and the PE uniform. But no registration fees or books fees or anything like that. I had *no* idea public schools charged like that here.

Eta: I found the fee info on the high school website - there was a copy of the letter sent to parents of incoming freshmen that had the info.

Eta2: looks like chrome books are costly ;). A different local high school (in a different district) charges $160 for its registration fee. It has separate activity and sports fees (capped at $100 each), though. And I couldn't tell if there were separate book fees for individual classes - didn't look like it.

Eta3: a third district's fees are $130 for 1-5, $165 for 6-8, and $210 for 9-12 (plus individual class fees). Also, while half-day K is $88 for the year, full day K is $100 per *month* on top of that $88. Public school definitely ain't free here.

Eta4: finally found the info for our local elementary school. $200 per kid. So this year, with three kids in the district, would be $600 in *mandatory* fees. That's my entire hs budget!

Edited by forty-two

Are you in the U.S.? Aren't wellness visits covered at no charge under the ACA?

The are still a significant number of people who are uninsured in the US. Having to have physicals right before school for all school age children would be a financial burden for most families. Our school provides $20 sports physicals for athletes, but the school and health department don't provide that for all students.

• Like 1

Can someone who lives in a district that requires medical exams tell me what they are looking for there? Is it like a sports physical that has to be done right before the school year starts? Is it just proof that the child has had an exam within the last year? I'm just wondering because most kids get an annual checkup around their birthday and insurance only pays for one well visit per year by the time they are school aged. 

The only medical requirement for school attendance here is proof of vaccinations in order to start K. Extracurriculars may require physicals - sports in particular. Most doctors here do those for $20. 

• Like 3

Our local public school is very low income. so:

free breakfast for all

lunch about $2, but most get it reduced or free

no fees required for trips/books, but suggested donations (some suggestions stronger than others!)

supplies needs vary, but needy can get a free backpack filled with supplies from local non-profit

uniform/dress code: varies from school to school, usually khakis/polo, can get from wherever. Parent groups run trade/donation programs 

We send our kid to an out of district public charter middle school

lunch is 3.70 per day, but pay by month, must be pre-ordered the previous month

breakfast available for a fee (?$) 

main fee: $300 per year to cover grade level activities, including at least one multi-day trip. sliding scale available on request

that fee seems to cover books, which stay at school almost always (exception: advanced math teacher lent his 9 students an extra textbook to keep at home since it is huge)

supplies are very specific, probably runs to $100 by year end, not including optional TI calculator, but most kids use online calculator/etc, using classroom chromebooks (school keeps a full set in each classroom, kids log in to google classroom from wherever)

no uniform

As soon as school starts I'm out right around $1000 for book fees for both dc. That's just the book rental fee (that is not refunded) so I still have to buy school supplies. Dc are both in high school so we have a general idea of what will be needed but they won't be told specifically until after the first day of school. Thankfully, they don't usually have field trips at this age so I don't have to pay for those. This year ds will be driving and we will have to pay each year for a parking pass (think it's $50 for the school year). I don't know how people with more than one or two dc do it. 

ETA: I put money (around $30/month each) into their lunch accounts. Neither actually eat a full meal but they do get snack type stuff (chips, cookie, fries, etc.) to go with whatever little thing they packed to eat that day. The school also has a coffee/drink bar (very similar to Starbucks) that they can get small snacks and drinks throughout the day. 

Edited by Joker