Menu

I got a very, very bad haircut and I am so upset

DawnM

I have gone to this guy before and he wasn't so bad.

This time I asked him to do something different.  I shouldn't' have.

I can't even fix it without going super, super short and even then, I will just hate it.

Just commiserate with me.  I am heading to see people I haven't seen in 10 years and I am sick over this.

My hair was half way down my back.  I asked for a little past shoulder length and layers.  The top layer is super short all the way around, looks like a bowl, then the next layer is much longer and it only goes to my neckline.....it is BAD.

just cry with me.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

Go find a highly respected hair dresser in your area for a consultation.  See if what they say speaks to you.  There may be ways to fix this that a professional stylist that is really good at their job can achieve.  It won't be perfect since you don't seem to want short hair, but it might be livable until your hair grows out.

• Like 25

Go find a highly respected hair dresser in your area for a consultation.  See if what they say speaks to you.  There may be ways to fix this that a professional stylist that is really good at their job can achieve.  It won't be perfect since you don't seem to want short hair, but it might be livable until your hair grows out.

I am so afraid to do that.  I have gone to those folks before and they have ruined it more.

And they cost a LOT of $$$.  I have already spent $35 on this bad haircut.  $60 more with no guarantees?  Oy.

It is bad, bad, bad and the only way to fix it is to go super, super short.  On my round fat face and head it will look absolutely horrible.  

I think I am going to go get some barrette and pin up the one side where it is so bad and just wear it that way until it can grow a bit.  

I am so afraid to do that.  I have gone to those folks before and they have ruined it more.

And they cost a LOT of $$$.  I have already spent $35 on this bad haircut.  $60 more with no guarantees?  Oy.

It is bad, bad, bad and the only way to fix it is to go super, super short.  On my round fat face and head it will look absolutely horrible.  

I think I am going to go get some barrette and pin up the one side where it is so bad and just wear it that way until it can grow a bit.  

:grouphug:

• Like 1

Ugh, that stinks!!

Can you wear your hair back, in a bun or twist of some kind? Maybe try a cute hair band to hold the awful layers in place?

I think seeing another stylist is a good idea. There must be YouTube videos out there on how to deal with hair disasters too.

I spent a childhood and beyond suffering terrible hair cuts. I'm definitely crying for you. :(

• Like 1

Ugh, that stinks!!

Can you wear your hair back, in a bun or twist of some kind? Maybe try a cute hair band to hold the awful layers in place?

I think seeing another stylist is a good idea. There must be YouTube videos out there on how to deal with hair disasters too.

I spent a childhood and beyond suffering terrible hair cuts. I'm definitely crying for you. :(

WAY too short for any type of bun or pony tail or any such thing.  Seriously, about 4" layer all around my head, then the next layer is like 3 to 4 inches UNDER that.  It sticks up in spots and is shorter at the bangs than on the sides.  It is HORRIBLE.

If I spiked the top layer I would look like a Crested Crane.

• Like 1

WAY too short for any type of bun or pony tail or any such thing. Seriously, about 4" layer all around my head, then the next layer is like 3 to 4 inches UNDER that. It sticks up in spots and is shorter at the bangs than on the sides. It is HORRIBLE.

If I spiked the top layer I would look like a Crested Crane.

:(

• Like 1

A wide headband? A light summery Buff to hide the entire thing? A cute hat that you just never take off?

Seriously, that just stinks.

I just hate wearing all that in this heat and humidity.

We are leaving for our West Coast trip soon and I can't imagine wearing something on my head all the time.  I hate stuff on my head, esp. in the heat.  It makes me sweat.

What is a Buff?

And I have gray hair that shows so easily.  I hate pulling my hair back because the gray is always on the underside no matter how recently I have colored.  

I know I am just being whiney but I look SO bad.

You should get the $35 back! That might help ease the sting of a better fix.

:grouphug: I am always nervous getting haircuts after two really horrible ones myself!

I know.  This guy owns his own salon, a very small one, out in a town about 45 min. from me.  My friend grew up there and has used him for 40 years, they are personal friends.  I have gone to him before and haven't had this happen.

I would feel very bad about making a stink out of it with my friend being friends with him, and I would need to go out 45 min. to get it.

Anyway, I am just going to let it go and never go back there.

• Like 1

I know. This guy owns his own salon, a very small one, out in a town about 45 min. from me. My friend grew up there and has used him for 40 years, they are personal friends. I have gone to him before and haven't had this happen.

I would feel very bad about making a stink out of it with my friend being friends with him, and I would need to go out 45 min. to get it.

Gotcha. It was a friend's beloved hairdresser who butchered mine once. I cried for a couple of days. Right after a baby and it was just soooo bad.

• Like 2

I'm sorry- I've had that happen with layering before.  You really should ask for your money back. The guy can mail you a check- no need to go back there.  Your friend should understand. EVERYONE makes mistakes.   He just had a bad day and you shouldn't have to pay for that. 

I agree with giving another stylist a chance to improve it. No, it won't be perfect but maybe it can be improved by cutting in a layer between the two that are so far apart. 

• Like 6

Get a wide headband meant for runners. They'll be lightweight/technical fabric so they'll be breathable/cool. The Carrie Underwood line at Dick's is usually pretty cute and reads more fashion-y than sporty. Maybe Gaiam makes some too? Kohls carries Gaiam activewear.

Sorry to hear about the haircut!

• Like 5

Is there an Aveda salon near you? They are all trained the same at their Aveda University. If you called and got in with an experienced stylist, s/he may be able to soften the layers so they look less harsh and bowl like. Yes it may involve going a bit shorter, but that may be better than a horrible cut that looks bad. Even if they can soften the layers, you may be able to further bend them with a curling iron and soften them.

• Like 6

Is there an Aveda salon near you? They are all trained the same at their Aveda University. If you called and got in with an experienced stylist, s/he may be able to soften the layers so they look less harsh and bowl like. Yes it may involve going a bit shorter, but that may be better than a horrible cut that looks bad. Even if they can soften the layers, you may be able to further bend them with a curling iron and soften them.

This is a great idea.

I'm so sorry about your bad haircut and the terrible timing!   :grouphug:

• Like 1

I'm so sorry. I was going to suggest getting it professionally styled before you saw old friends, but if it's after a long car drive that won't help.

What about temporary extensions? I know they are sold at Ulta but I've never used them.

My fall back when I don't like my hair is to wear a hat.

• Like 1

You know, there are people who specialize in fixing bad haircuts/colors.  There is a great salon chain in our state where you can get in to see an emergency stylist who can make something nice out of a terrible cut.  

(Ask me how I know!   :D)   A few days before our ds's wedding, a stylist totally ruined my hair with both a cut and some highlights -- which turned my hair a weird SILVER!  It was pretty horrible.  My mother and sister took me to the "hair emergency" stylist and she was fantastic.  And yes, it was pricy...

• Like 1

I agree with going somewhere else and having it looked at.

It really sounds like the layers need to be blended. You shouldn't be able to tell one layer from the next, they should blend together.

• Like 2

Oh no!

Okay, what I would do is immediately find the BEST stylist in the area. Doesn't matter the cost. Go to them and have them turn it into something nice. Honestly, good stylists are worth their weight in gold. You will never have to feel this pain again.

• Like 2

Oh I am so very sorry. That happened to me once. My hair was so long and pretty and I just wanted some nice layers. What I ended up with was a very weird pixie cut with the layers all in the wrong places. It was so bad. I am so sorry and hope it grows out soon.

• Like 1

I'm sorry. I've had a lot of cuts that were bad until they grew out a little (cutting curly hair when it's wet is always a crap shoot), but one cut in particular made me want to cry every time I saw myself in a mirror. Since it was much too short already, there was nothing I could do except wait for it to grow. In your case I would try to find someone else to fix it by blending the layers or cutting more layers so they aren't so harsh.

• Like 2

I know.  This guy owns his own salon, a very small one, out in a town about 45 min. from me.  My friend grew up there and has used him for 40 years, they are personal friends.  I have gone to him before and haven't had this happen.

Send him a photo. Maybe he will refund on his own.

• Like 2

I just hate wearing all that in this heat and humidity.

We are leaving for our West Coast trip soon and I can't imagine wearing something on my head all the time. I hate stuff on my head, esp. in the heat. It makes me sweat.

What is a Buff?

And I have gray hair that shows so easily. I hate pulling my hair back because the gray is always on the underside no matter how recently I have colored.

I know I am just being whiney but I look SO bad.

You don't sound whiny. Bad haircuts are awful.

Here are a couple sites that show how to wear a Buff to cover your head. They come in some really cute patterns, even if it's not your favorite style. And bonus it will cover the grey! ðŸ‘

http://www.loveto.camp/gear/how-to-wear-a-buff-in-13-useful-ways/

https://www.divergenttravelers.com/how-do-you-wear-your-buff-headwear/

Hope that helps give some ideas. Covering up in summer especially is never really ideal. :(

• Like 3

Here is one of the issues.  He cut the entire top layer at 3-4" around, but my hair doesn't stay that way, so it is LONGER in the bangs (and still really short, like half way up my forehead) and SHORTER on the side of my head.  If they even out my bangs portion, it will be up to my scalp.  Seriously.

I am going to shower and put in gel and see what I can do with it before going anywhere else.

• Like 1

I have gone to this guy before and he wasn't so bad.

This time I asked him to do something different. I shouldn't' have.

I can't even fix it without going super, super short and even then, I will just hate it.

Just commiserate with me. I am heading to see people I haven't seen in 10 years and I am sick over this.

My hair was half way down my back. I asked for a little past shoulder length and layers. The top layer is super short all the way around, looks like a bowl, then the next layer is much longer and it only goes to my neckline.....it is BAD.

just cry with me.

The exact same thing happened to me last summer! I did cry. Even my complimentary kids and husband said it was bad. I paid for another haircut at a different place and the lady was so nice. I did have to get it cut much shorter than I wanted and the lady was able to do some blending. With some hair product to scrunch it with, it looked passable. I had to wait for it to grow before the top layer could be blended better.

If you're gutsy enough, maybe go back and ask for a refund. I wish I had.

• Like 1

Haven't read all replies but I would call around and specifically ask if someone was good with layering and corrective cutting. I had something like this happen not too long ago but it was fixable. Top layer all one length and bowl-like looking. I went to a Supercuts of all places and found a young woman who fixed it fabulously. I am now having hair cut there and color done at the other place because they are good with that.

If there is a disproportional space between top layer and bottom, someone should be able to feather in some longer layers and blend it.

• Like 2

I know. This guy owns his own salon, a very small one, out in a town about 45 min. from me. My friend grew up there and has used him for 40 years, they are personal friends. I have gone to him before and haven't had this happen.

That happened to me. I received the worst hair cut from a friend of a friend. Complaining to my friend about the haircut was not good for the relationship.

I hate my hair less than I did initially. This haircut made me cry. It's an uneven mullet. I definitely didn't ask for anything resembling a mullet. I went back to see if she could fix it but she couldn't.

• Like 2