Menu

Strategies for remembering to take medication?

Daria

DS18 leaves on Saturday morning for a six week sleep away program on a college campus.  Because of a combination of severe environmental allergies and mental health medication, he takes 2 medications at bedtime, and 4 in the morning.  He's taken medication for his entire life, and for the past year or so, I've been trying to transfer the responsibility for the medication to him, without a lot of success. I could write a long post on what we have tried, but I'm wondering if people have ideas we haven't tried.  Setting alarms on his phone isn't a workable strategy, since he's no better at remembering to charge his phone than he is at remembering to take his medication.  Our current strategy involves putting the pill box on top of the faucet in the bathroom, which works relatively well, except he'll have a shared hallway bathroom in the dorm.  

Pill box. Keep it with his toothbrush, assuming he brushes his teeth regularly. He needs to associate taking the pills with something he does EVERY morning and night. Since I *always* brush my teeth before bed and upon waking, keeping my meds near by toothbrush works for me. Eventually, it becomes ingrained. Perhaps get a large ziplock bag and have him store his pill box and tooth brush stuff together in that bag?

• Like 5

I take morning and evening meds and I am the WORST about remembering things. So my boxes stay on the corner of my dresser next to my daily jewelry. I take the morning ones after I shower and the evening ones just before bed.

Definitely tie it to something he already does.

Pill box. Keep it with his toothbrush, assuming he brushes his teeth regularly.

To be perfectly honest, I am not sure this is a safe assumption. Especially without a toothbrush staring at him next to the sink to remind him.

I know people will say "How can toothbrushing not be a routine?" But he's been taking morning and night medication longer than he's had teeth and it clearly hasn't stuck.

At home, we put the pillbox on top of the faucet, because handwashing does seem to have stuck, but I can't tell him to leave controlled substances in a shared bathroom.

• Like 1

We keep DD's pill box at her mealtime seat. The one guaranteed thing she's not going to skip is breakfast or dinner. She sets herself an alarm on her phone as a reminder as well. In the past we've used incentives (allowance bonus for remembering all meds doses for a week). However, the "pill box where she won't miss it" and alarms seem to be the best solutions for her.

• Like 1

The "leave it where you can't miss it" strategy is what has worke here, but I just can't figure out how that works in a dorm room. I like the shoe idea, but I have images of it getting left on the floor and kicked under a bed or something.

The "leave it where you can't miss it" strategy is what has worke here, but I just can't figure out how that works in a dorm room. I like the shoe idea, but I have images of it getting left on the floor and kicked under a bed or something.

If it's EF issue, shoe would only work once. He'd have to remember to put it back in the next day.

I would also have the nurse remind him. I understand that it's very important for him to transition to taking care of his own medications, but it doesn't sound like he's there yet - and it seems likely to me that whatever progress he's made at home, it might not transition to a new setting very well. This sounds too important to let him sink or swim.

• Like 1

Is he motivated to remember to take his medication?  I think that's a key prerequisite for remembering.  What happens if he doesn't take it?  Does he experience symptoms that he perceives as unpleasant relatively quickly?  Would it actually hurt him (other than being unpleasant) to skip a dose or two?  

If it wouldn't actually cause harm, I'd just let him weather the symptoms of skipping doses.  He'll either decide that he prefers to avoid that scenario or, well, not.  But he's an adult now, and he is going to need to figure out how to take responsibility for his own health.  (And believe me, I completely understand about young adults and their lack of ability to manage things like this!)

That said, I take medication twice a day, and I've found that using a weekly pillbox works wonders. It allows me to see if I've skipped a dose.  I tie taking the meds to certain behaviors that are mostly routine each day.  If I do end up forgetting to take a pill, it is always in the evening.  

But the thing is, I'm motivated not to miss a dose--that's why the whole thing works.  A person who isn't motivated, for whatever reason, isn't going to remember.  

Are there nurses or RA's available? 

It would put a little more of a burden on you, but could you text him morning and night to remind him?

If he could remember, he could put two rubber bands around his wrist in the morning and remove one each time he takes his meds. If he's looking at his wrist and wondering why there's a rubber band around it before bed, it might trigger his memory?

I took medication for childhood epilepsy from the time that I was 9 until I was weaned from it when I was 20. I started with 2 pills/day, but by the time that I was in high school my dose was 4 pills/day. I took one every time I ate - breakfast, lunch, after-school snack, with the final one at bedtime, which left dinnertime in case I had missed one earlier in the day. I was mostly responsible for doing it myself from the time I was 12 or so (although I'm sure that my mom checked the contents of my pill box behind my back!). Mostly it was a habit, but maybe if he put it on his shoes at night so he'd see it in the am and then move it to his pillow when he puts on his shoes so that he sees it before he goes to bed. It would help with the remembering part, but he'll have to be disciplined about putting the box in the right place after he takes the pills. If he has a lanyard for keys, he could get one of the circular pill boxes and attach it to that so that he sees it every time he scans his ID for meals or uses his room key.

You can tell whatever counselor is in charge and they might be able to remind him, but it's tricky if it's the kind of camp I'm imagining. When my kids have gone to church or scout camp, they are with their leaders most of the time and there is a medical person who oversees medication. I spent 2 summers working at camps on a college campus, and these have a lot more freedom. We banged on doors in the morning, were available for questions, supervised evening fun, helped them find things, and made sure that people were in their rooms for lights-out, but the kids were mostly responsible for themselves. A counselor might be able to remind him at door-knock time and again at hall meeting/lights out to take his medicine, but if he's the type to get distracted before he gets back to his room then their reminder won't help. I would encourage him to tell his roommate or whoever he becomes friends with and ask them to help him to remember. He may find somebody else with medical needs who will remind him when they take their own medicine.

What is his solution?

His solution is "But mom, I'm not going to forget my meds, why would you think that?"

Two days ago, we brought the medication box out of the bathroom so we could make sure it fit in the lock box we ordered (the college's policy for all controlled substances).

I watched him take the meds, and then watched him walk towards the bathroom with the pill box, but he must have gotten distracted, because the box was on the hall table outside the bathroom.

So, in the morning, I woke him up, and put the box in his hand, but found it on his pillow with the meds still in it after he left.

• Like 1

It sound like you have given him all the tools to be successful. If he can't manage though,maybe he is not ready to go away for such a long time at this type of program. He may need a more supported environment for people with special needs.

If it was just allergy medicine, I would say let him deal with the consequences. If he feels miserable enough, he may remember to take his medicine, but with psyc meds that is a whole different story. I assume he has to take those every day.

• Like 1

We keep a saucer-size plate on the kitchen counter over by the wall, and put the day's pills on it. If the pill taker wonders,"Have I taken my pills?" he/she checks the plate. If absolutely nothing is on it, he/she is pretty certain that they totally forgot the morning doses and the subsequent set up of all of the pills on the plate. If the pills for the rest of the day are on the plate, he/she feels pretty confident that the morning doses have been taken.

Also, they are taken at the same time pretty much every day. If the person is going to be away from home during "dose time", he/she will put the pills from the plate into a sandwich baggie, and carry them in their pocket along with taken a bottle of water. 

ETA having the pills out in the open on the plate right in a prominent place helps to keep them from being forgotten.

Edited by Fifiruth

I have it on google calendar so it notifies me on my cell phone and on my computers. I also have my pill case in the kitchen so I see it. I also feel not having a few of my medicines so that helps too. It isn't foolproof at all. I usually do take the morning but since I tend not to be on my phone in the evening and particularly in the late evening, I am more likely to forget my evening or night medicines. I also have family members that sometimes remember to remind me too.

What about a dual alarm clock that plugs in and isn't his phone? Or an old phone/ipod used just for the alarm feature that can be left plugged in?

Unfortunately that assumes he's in his room at the same times every day, and in my experience college doesn't work that way, but it's been a long time since I went to college.

I don't think they have structures like counselors and nurses (other than at the clinic for students) because it's not "camp".

I agree that its possible that he's not ready and will come home early. He desperately wants to go away to college, and is ready in so many ways, so this is something of a test.

Fortunately their keys are on cards which means they can go in the holder on the back of his phone. For the past few months we have finally gotten to the point where he carries a phone with his state ID and doesn't lose it.

Unfortunately that assumes he's in his room at the same times every day, and in my experience college doesn't work that way, but it's been a long time since I went to college.

I don't think they have structures like counselors and nurses (other than at the clinic for students) because it's not "camp".

I agree that its possible that he's not ready and will come home early. He desperately wants to go away to college, and is ready in so many ways, so this is something of a test.

Fortunately their keys are on cards which means they can go in the holder on the back of his phone. For the past few months we have finally gotten to the point where he carries a phone with his state ID and doesn't lose it.

I think you're going to have to let him try to figure it out himself. One thing my DH (see other thread about his EF issues) has mastered is his own medication. At least taking it.  Getting refills is another matter...

But it took him awhile to figure out his system, but he did.

Checklist. Maybe building an entire list of necessary things will help build the habit?

You might need to scaffold him for a while and call/text/email him as a reminder.

I have an alarm on my phone for meds, but if he doesn't remember to charge his phone, he might also need a reminder on his computer or somewhere else.

EF issues are hard. I suffer from some of them myself. Routine helps a lot. I'm forever losing my keys and sunglasses, so I'm really trying to get in the habit of putting them in one pocket of my bag when I'm done with them. Otherwise, I stuff them in my shorts pocket or coat pocket or stash them on the counter, etc. I'm trying to build the mental and muscle memory.

Two days ago, we brought the medication box out of the bathroom so we could make sure it fit in the lock box we ordered (the college's policy for all controlled substances).

Controlled as in Schedule II or controlled as in any prescription medication?

The reason I ask is that if he's taking stimulant medication, he may actually feel better without it (my son did even though, from my perspective, he functioned better with it), which would erode any motivation he may have to take it.

• Like 1

Controlled as in Schedule II or controlled as in any prescription medication?

The reason I ask is that if he's taking stimulant medication, he may actually feel better without it (my son did even though, from my perspective, he functioned better with it), which would erode any motivation he may have to take it.

Schedule IV for anxiety, plus a bunch of unscheduled prescription and nonprescription medication.  

He definitely feels better on it, but one of the symptoms of depression/anxiety for him is that he loses insight into his own feelings.  If he misses for a while, and then restarts he'll comment on how he feels better, but when he's feeling anxious or depressed, he's convinced it's due to something environmental and won't connect it to not taking the meds, partially because he doesn't remember not taking the meds.  

Two of my kids are on daily meds. They use timer caps to help them remember whether or not they have taken the pill yet. There is no alarm. It just tells you how long it has been since the last time you opened the bottle.

This would not work at all for somebody who completely forgets to check at all though. And it sounds like that's the case for your ds.

It may work for him if he puts them on his nightstand. He will at least be able to tell if he remembered to take his meds yet.

ETA: We did try weekly pill cases before this, but my kids could NOT remember to load them up. They only got loaded if I loaded them. With the timer caps, they just pour their meds into the timer cap bottle and that's it. They still have to remember to look at the lid to see if they have taken the pill or not, but it doesn't require them to do something special or oganizational once a week. Just get your new prescription bottle and dump it in. Putting the cap on is automatic.

Edited by AngieW in Texas

So, he always has his phone and key card...if he had a strategy for getting his meds somehow attached to his person or his phone daily (so that he doesn't have to go back to his room), could you set an alarm and text/call when he needs to take them? I know it's not even remotely ideal, but it would require responsibility on his part while also reinforcing the phone/keycard thing as a good thing-- "Good! You have your phone and key card...now I'll wait on the line while you swallow your pills." 

I also realize this means that he has another system for remembering to put the meds with the phone/keycard...perhaps he needs to keep the phone in the lock box at night? 

I know, more steps...just trying to stimulate more brainstorming if nothing else. I have a child that can't remember why he's in the bathroom even when he's sitting on the john already. This will be me in a few years. 

Two of my kids are on daily meds. They use timer caps to help them remember whether or not they have taken the pill yet. There is no alarm. It just tells you how long it has been since the last time you opened the bottle.

This would not work at all for somebody who completely forgets to check at all though. And it sounds like that's the case for your ds.

It may work for him if he puts them on his nightstand. He will at least be able to tell if he remembered to take his meds yet.

Totally off topic, but thank you for this. I have family members in the medical field that will want to know these and other similar things exist--they will tell patients as well as hospital social workers who often have to get patients set up with practical solutions. 

Watch with an alarm that he is to never remove?

Laminated checklist that includes medicine and hygiene?

:iagree:

I think these are great suggestions, particularly the watch with the alarm, because he won't need to remember to charge it. If it's comfortable and waterproof, he can wear it 24/7.

My DS has been taking meds since he was very little.  We used to do it as part of his bedtime routine, but then he went on medication that had to be taken at a specific time so as not to mess with his sleep/awake cycles.  He is only 11 and was younger when he went on the meds.  He has a watch that he set an alarm on to remind him to take his meds.  He wears it all the time.  He has gotten so used to wearing it that he notices if he has to take it off for some reason.  You can get watches that are made to go underwater and could be worn all the time.  The only downside would be if the alarm goes off at a time when he can't get to his meds to take and he later forgets.  This has happened a few times.  I also have an alarm set on my phone to remind me as well so I can remind him.

There's a lot of different ways to do this, but ultimately, it is going to come down to how much DS wants to make this work.  

I set alarms all the time on my phone, thinking it will help me establish a new habit.  But when the alarm shows up, even though I am the one who set it, and I really DID and maybe still DO want to achieve my goal, usually I am in the middle of something else, somewhat annoyed at the interruption and I just ignore the alarm.  So it's pointless.

BUT ... Jerry Seinfeld to the rescue for me.  In a story I read about him (and about this topic) he said that he had to do SOMETHING to make himself write every single day.  He said that he couldn't just write the day before a show and all of a sudden have all the Clever show up to get the material right.  So he put on his wall a calendar, with boxes big enough to put an X in the day.  And for the first week he just had to MAKE himself write.  But after a few days, those X's all marching along in a row sort of took on a life of their own.  And he was sort of inspired, I guess, and it just became NOT AN OPTION to let a day not have its red X in it.  It was out there for everyone to see, for him to see.  

But it still was up to him to do the job.  The particular METHOD worked for him because there was a visual trail, not just an alarm to be obeyed.  

I tried it with a habit I wanted to establish...just for 40 days, not even The Calendar To The End Of Time, just 40 days...and doggone if it didn't work the same for me.  

Your DS has a built-in motivation--he WANTS to be able to go to college, to grow up, to be self-sufficient.  Well, here is a good place to start.  I'm sure you have had the frank talks with him about what it means that he can do self-care...both now and in the future.  Maybe help with a Seinfeld Calendar will be a little bit of a help, but ultimately, he has to want it.  And do it.  And I know how frustrating it is.  Trust me.  

Hmmm.

He isn't going to be home a similar times each day to take them, so an fixed alarm won't work.

He can't put them someplace he does daily...like the sink due to logistics.

He won't remember to put them back if you try something like a shoe or a bottle in his pocket to take with him.

He forgets his phone, so the phone alarm wont work.

He won't just remember with a note on the door.

He won't remember with a meal.

How will he remember to go to class?  Remember to do homework?  Remember to get up (not all classes are on the same day/time)? Remember exam schedules? Remember to go to lab? Remember to plug in a laptop?  Remember to submit a paper after he types it?  

If he can't find a simple plan to take his pills...I wouldn't think it would be safe for him to be on his own.  I have a daughter with ADD and a chronic health issue to causes short term memory issues.I get it and I used to do it all for her too. Then I told her I was stopping the reminders and she needed to figure out what worked for her.  She supported the idea, even though she knew it was going to take an adjustment.  If she forgets her meds, she feels like crap.  I found that the less I reminded her at home, the more reliable she became at taking them herself, because she feels sick if she forgets.   Feeling sick if she misses them, was the motivation she needed to figure out what works for her. She keeps them and a bottle of water by her bed.  IF she forgets, she keeps an extra set in her school backpack of her AM meds.  Otherwise it is on her to remember now.  I don't do anything other than set up her tray and within the month, she will be doing that too.   She still misses on occasion, but those days are getting more random now and she will do things like take them a bit earlier in the evening if she thinks she may forget later (studying etc).  She is finding that procrastination, was her med nemesis. LOL  

• Like 2

Hmmm.

He isn't going to be home a similar times each day to take them, so an fixed alarm won't work.

He can't put them someplace he does daily...like the sink due to logistics.

He won't remember to put them back if you try something like a shoe or a bottle in his pocket to take with him.

He forgets his phone, so the phone alarm wont work.

He won't just remember with a note on the door.

He won't remember with a meal.

How will he remember to go to class?  Remember to do homework?  Remember to get up (not all classes are on the same day/time)? Remember exam schedules? Remember to go to lab? Remember to plug in a laptop?  Remember to submit a paper after he types it?  

If he can't find a simple plan to take his pills...I wouldn't think it would be safe for him to be on his own.  I have a daughter with ADD and a chronic health issue to causes short term memory issues.I get it and I used to do it all for her too. Then I told her I was stopping the reminders and she needed to figure out what worked for her.  She supported the idea, even though she knew it was going to take an adjustment.  If she forgets her meds, she feels like crap.  I found that the less I reminded her at home, the more reliable she became at taking them herself, because she feels sick if she forgets.   Feeling sick if she misses them, was the motivation she needed to figure out what works for her. She keeps them and a bottle of water by her bed.  IF she forgets, she keeps an extra set in her school backpack of her AM meds.  Otherwise it is on her to remember now.  I don't do anything other than set up her tray and within the month, she will be doing that too.   She still misses on occasion, but those days are getting more random now and she will do things like take them a bit earlier in the evening if she thinks she may forget later (studying etc).  She is finding that procrastination, was her med nemesis. LOL  

I agree and had to do something similar with ds. He doesn't forget to take his meds because he keeps the bottle at his bedside, but he has forgotten more than once to turn in the prescription and/or to call his doctor when the ones she gives him (with post dated fill dates) run out. ADHD meds are also Schedule II so every month he has to bring a physical prescription to the pharmacy. He's run out more than once. I get that forgetting is part of ADHD but many, many people with ADHD have found ways to remember to do things and he needs to as well. Fortunately it's not a life or death problem if he runs out but it does affect his ability to focus both at school and at work. Because of that I find that I have to force myself not to constantly remind him or turn in the script myself. He needs to learn to do this on his own.

As tap says, how will your ds remember to do anything at all if he can't remember to take needed medication? I do understand the feeling of wanting to take care of it for him or to find him a foolproof way to remember, but sometimes we have to let go and let them deal with the consequences of forgetting (as long as it actually isn't a life or death situation).

• Like 2

Well, to be honest we haven't totally figured all of that out.  That's part of why we're doing this "precollege" program and not something that has college credit.  My assumption is that he goes to this program and then we use his experience there, and any successes or failures, to help us figure out what he needs to work on over the next year. 

However, for whatever reason, other than getting up, those things have been easier.  For example, he's held a job for the past 3.5 months, and has never missed or been late.  That's not because of me reminding him, as his work starts several hours after mine.

Why is that?  I don't know exactly, but I have some theories.  Part of it is that I think it's easier to remember things when he's medicated, and of course he can't take his medication before he takes his medication as a strategy to remember.  Part of it is that his medication needs to be taken at times when he's fighting sleep, either because he's tired at the end of a long day, or because he's just waking up, and he's not as aware.  Part of it is that the other things are more obvious.  So, I imagine if he gets up in the morning, sooner or later his body will prompt him to remember to go to the school cafeteria, and once he's there he'll remember that he has to do something.  Because it's pretty obvious the plan isn't to stay in the cafeteria all day, so he'll either search his brain and come up with the idea of going to class, or he'll come up with the idea to check the schedule on his phone, even if that means finding an outlet in the cafeteria because he forgot to charge it.  

The program he's in is for kids interested in tech theater.  Because of that, there is more scene shop time, and unstructured time than there would be in a program for kids interested in math, for example.  Also, they pair up the roommates with other kids in the same program.  So, hopefully he'll have a roommate who has to get up and go to class at the same time which will cue him.

I'll also say that I can't imagine that he'll go away to college anytime soon, unless it's one of those schools that have specific programs for students with disabilities, and one on one executive function coaching, etc . . . But none of those programs have assistance with medication, so this is a big focus for me.

• Like 3

Well, it is his responsibility to remember to take the pills. He will suffer the consequences of not taking them. If he drinks coffee, he could keep morning pills with his coffee mug (etc.) Evening pills live in p.j. drawer? He will figure something out. Otherwise, as other's have noted, will there be RAs or RNs to nag him to take his pills?

I keep my two meds in a kitchen cupboard, and have trained myself to set them on the counter next to my daily coffee mug. By afternoon, I see them and remember to take them before dinner - at which time I put them back in the cupboard. If I see them on the counter later - oops, I forgot to take them.

Could he train himself to put the morning meds in his shoes when he takes them off - so he will see them to take in the am? Then that is the clue ot make sure the evening meds are on top of his jammies or stuck in his pillow where he can't help but notice them at bedtime. Which also reminds him to put the morning meds in his shoes. Etc.

Edited by JFSinIL
  • Like 2

Well, it is his responsibility to remember to take the pills. He will suffer the consequences of not taking them.

Unfortunately, with mental illnesses this isn't how it seems to work. Family members can absolutely suffer the consequences when someone isn't medicated, and not being able to recognize symptoms and connect them to the medication is, at least for my kid, a symptom of his illness.

The coffee idea is a great one, but there are no heating elements allowed in the rooms.

I feel like there is probably an obvious solution that I'd see if I was there. Like a place in the room where he won't be able to miss them. But I won't actually see the room, so hopefully he'll figure it out.

• Like 1

Have you tried a reminder watch?  Some just vibrate, so they don't draw attention.  They can be set to remember multiple times (like 8) per day, and look like a regular watch, and they don't require charging.

There are several available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=reminder+watch&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=181885264705&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7470365547016922021&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9030463&hvtargid=kwd-29239391&ref=pd_sl_1evfj8x50b_b_p19

I happen to be listening to the Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg right now.  I'm still in the introductory chapters, but it might be worth a read.  A good bit in the beginning is about people with brain damage or no short term memory still being able to develop habits because it is a different mechanism.  Finding a way to tap into that would be key.

The only suggestion I have so far is get a larger than normal pill box and put a Hershey's Kiss or gummy worm in each square...something that acts as a reward.  Since the pills don't make him feel better right away, he doesn't crave them. If there is a favorite treat in his box, he might start looking forward to and remembering it.

I only take one pill, but can't remember to freaking take it.  A pill box next to the coffee maker works for me. 

That's where mine are! By the coffee pot. And not in a bin next to the coffee pot (tried that). Bottle has to be visible. 

Honestly, as a person with some pretty hefty EF issues, this is harder than you think. Can you call him twice a day? Text him? 

That's where mine are! By the coffee pot. And not in a bin next to the coffee pot (tried that). Bottle has to be visible. 

Honestly, as a person with some pretty hefty EF issues, this is harder than you think. Can you call him twice a day? Text him? 

I can call him, and I'm sure I will, but then it's back to the issue of not remembering to keep the phone charged, or to turn the ringer back on after class.  

The coffee pot thing would be perfect, except that he can't have it in the dorm.  

The candy thing is an interesting idea, but I am only going to be able to pack up one week's worth.  I thought about buying 6 of the weekly packs, but then I'd need to buy multiple lockboxes to put them in, and I think he'd just get the boxes confused.  He's got the routine of packing the box Saturday night.  If he takes meds that night the fact that the box is empty usually reminds him, and he does a decent job of getting it filled.