Menu

let's play..What's in your purse??

ProudGrandma

I want to use a smaller purse....not super small...just not a gym bag. (well, I suppose I am not THAT bad)....but....

I am such a "what if I might need...." person that I have a hard time not putting certain things in my purse.

I bought 3 different bags on Amazon and they arrived today...and each one didn't hold my purse contents well...or at least the ones I think I must have.

So what are those things?  a wallet, my check book, a small zippered pouch with things like lip balm, mints, motrin, nail clippers, lotion, contact case, and then little things like tiny screw driver set, a couple zip ties, safety pins (and believe it or not, I have actually used those things in an emergency before).  I also have 2 little tiny pouches with little tiny bottles of essential oils. Then there are things like small pad of paper, a couple pens, small tape measure, sunglasses, my phone,...just that sort of stuff.

There is just enough bulky things that a slimmer bag is too slim...but a wider bag....or one with lots of pouches feels so big.

I am a petite gal....and I don't have little kids...so I don't need stuff like that in my bag. 

Am I still "over packing"? or have I just not found the right bag?  

I am using this  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CE117Y/ref=twister_B001CE63EK?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1.....and it seems to hold my stuff...but I want a crossbody purse...not a backpack.

Can anybody help me out with some ideas??

thanks.

• Like 2

Anything that won't go bad (medicine, etc.) I leave in the car. That includes: a comb, fingernail scissors, tape measure, hand sanitizer, pen, paper, sewing kit, first aid kit (but not antibiotic cream, etc.). I leave mints in the car, also. You could also probably leave a spare contact case in the car, but maybe not solution. I use clip on sunglasses; I have a pair in my car, my sister's car, a pair in the house for when I go walking. 

I like a small, light bag myself. Mine contains a compact wallet (no check book - do you really write checks?) which also holds a mini calendar/planner, and one small pen. One moisturizing lipstick. A little tin that used to hold mini Altoids but now holds my migraine medication. A small zippered coin bag which has panty liners, band-aids, and a nail file and clipper. A folded up nylon shopping bag in its own little bag to keep it contained. Sunglasses. Cell phone. And a mini bottle of sunscreen cream now that it's summer. That's it.

I keep a few other things in the glove compartment of my car, but I like to travel light!

Forgot to answer what's in my bag (Triple Zip Baggallini):

handkerchief

phone

cough drops (it's always allergy season in TX!!)

mini bottle of purell

altoids small

key ring - 1 key, whistle, usb drive

pen/pencil set (Zebra 301)

3 x 5 planner/calendar

small bag with a comb, small amount cash, cards (library, insurance, etc.)

I have another wallet with my car and house keys on an attached ring. This wallet has my drivers licence, credit/ATM cards, AAA card, car insurance, more cash. This wallet is all I need to leave the house. I usually carry this wallet in my pocket, but it will fit in my bag.

• Like 1

When kids were little I carried more stuff.  Right now it has two epi-pens, an inhaler, my wallet, a few pads for just in case, pen, and some old crumpled receipts.  When I leave the house I will stick in my phone and sometimes my Kindle depending on where I am going.

I'm petite and don't have kids any more (they're both technically adults).

I have two options for flexibility.

First one is a good sized basic shoulder tote bag (similar to this). I use it when I'm going to be out and may need stuff. In addition to all the normal purse stuff it can easily accommodate a water bottle, my Kindle or iPad (or both), a water bottle, a "just in case the AC is too cold" sweater, etc.

The other option I use frequently is a Vera Bradley all-in-one wristlet and cross body. It's my standard wallet that lives in my tote bag and holds cash, credit cards, license and insurance cards It can also hold my phone. So if I'm doing a grocery run or a few quick errands I just grab my keys and put my phone in the wallet and go. The tote bag with all its other goodies stays home.

Having two options works best for me.

• Like 2

My all time favorite bag is the Baggallini Hobo Tote.  My husband says it's a tardis bag--bigger on the inside.  Day to day I carry a wallet, checkbook, a small pouch that holds the type of things your describe, keys, wallet, altoids tin, sunglasses, and bandaid box.

It'll also fit my 5x8 bullet journal, a book, my husband's Surface 3, and a water bottle.  And there's still room.  

When the kids were younger, I was practically carrying about the kitchen sink.

These days? My wallet and a couple of reusable grocery bags (there's a bag tax so I don't like to be caught without any) and a pen (just in case). Anything else is specific to the moment - headphones, water bottle, snack, charger cord, pens, a notebook, etc. My phone generally lives in my pocket.

I recently switched to having a larger wallet that holds more and have been using a wider array of bags to be my standards. I have shoved reusable bags in most of them and grab whichever seems to fit the moment.

I have a Fossil Emma satchel. It isn't very big but it holds a lot more than what it looks like. I have my wallet, planner (a hobonichi techo in a leather cover), sunglasses, 1-2 pairs of sunglasses for my 3 year old, my checkbook, phone, headphones in a little zipper case. And there's plenty of room for other things. I've crammed in a large zipper pouch full of pencils, markers, brush pens, erasers, and paintbrushes, a 7x9 inch sketchbook, a tin of watercolors when I was on my way to hang out and make art somewhere. :) I bought this purse with Christmas money and five months later, it is in perfect shape (and I'm not careful with it) and I love it still. I'm incredibly picky about handbags but also cheap and won't spend much on them- not a good combination. Don't laugh but at $120 on sale, this was the most expensive one I've ever bought. Most bags I start disliking a few weeks after getting them and they look worn and need replacing after this many months. I plan to carry this one till Christmas and get another Fossil with my Christmas money again. :)

I have the Sherlani Milli: https://www.shoes.com/sherpani-milli-origins-rfid-messenger-bag/811894/1760787?cm_mmc=googleproductads_pla_with_promotion-_-none-_-none-_-none

Wallet, cell phone, keys, sanitary supplies, check book, one pen. Sometimes a tiny notebook.

When I go to work, my calendar.

I do not carry essential oils, tape measures or zip ties in my purse.

If I go hiking, I carry a backpack.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

I don't regularly carry either a purse or a diaper bag.  Wallet, cell phone, keys and chap stick are in my pockets.  Diapering supplies, extra toddler clothes, medicine, sanitary supplies, nail file, bandaids, etc are all in the car.

Wendy

• Like 2

I carry a giant tote--

Wallet

Keys

Phone

Pens

Pencils

Composition book

Kindle (or paperback if I am reading one)

Sunscreen (I have had skin cancer so I never leave the house without it, and I also have some in my car)

Hat (see above)

Inhaler with spacer for dd

Hand lotion

Feminine hygiene stuff

Lipstick (although i never wear it)

Sunglasses

Glasses case for my regular glasses

Ibuprofen

Migraine meds

Socks in case I want to buy shoes (just kidding on that one. All shoe stores have socks!)

I carry way too much stuff. Ugh! I need to clean out my purse.

I carry way too much:

Wallet...larger size one to hold all the insurance cards for everyone (kids all have 2 each of their own due to special needs), credit/debit cards, etc.

several ink pens

roll or 2 of mints.....or more commonly 4 rolls of mints with only 1-2 mints left in each one

keys (again, way too many keys)

2 check books

legal guardianship papers for our 3 special needs young adults

emergency medical information on everyone in the family

sheet with MIL's pacemaker information and her med list

Coupons

pads/tampons

extra seizure meds for the girls, advil/tylenol, benadryl, etc.

bandaids

phone and often my kindle

That might be it.

I seriously need to do like a friend of mine does and have a small nice wallet to bring in to the store and then a nice looking over the shoulder tote back for everything else that can stay in the car until/unless needed.

• Like 1

I don't use a purse. I use a wallet that has a carabiner so I can attach it to my baby carrier.  It carries my dumbphone, credit card, license, cash, and my Once Upon A Time discount card.

eta: oh, and my keys are on the carabiner too.

Edited by ananemone
  • Like 2

Ooh, I think I need that! I've never had a Baggallini. Are you pleased with the quality and construction?

I love Baggallini! 

The inside fabric is a light color, so it's easy to see what's inside.

There are lots of compartments, so you have to remember what you put where, but at least everything is not all in one pile!

I like that the straps are adjustable, and for most bags, removable.

There are slots for credit cards, and 1 or 2 pen loops.

The main thing I would change is to add something to secure my key ring. I hate my keys falling to the bottom.

I have several Baggallinis, they have all held up well - I think the quality and construction are very good.

Best wishes.

• Like 1

Nothing is in my purse since I don't have one. I carry a wallet that has my license and a couple cards in my back right pocket, my cash and keys in my front left pocket, and my cell phone in my front right pocket.

• Like 1

I love Baggallini!

The inside fabric is a light color, so it's easy to see what's inside.

There are lots of compartments, so you have to remember what you put where, but at least everything is not all in one pile!

I like that the straps are adjustable, and for most bags, removable.

There are slots for credit cards, and 1 or 2 pen loops.

The main thing I would change is to add something to secure my key ring. I hate my keys falling to the bottom.

I have several Baggallinis, they have all held up well - I think the quality and construction are very good.

Best wishes.

Thank you so much - this is a huge help! I love bags with lots of pockets, because I like knowing exactly where my items are. It sounds great.

• Like 1

You're carrying too much around with you. I use a wristlet/crossbody that "forces" me to carry only my credit cards, license, a check or two, cash and my phone. I clip my keys to the strap with a carabiner. I hardly every wear the crossbody straps; I usually keep it as a wristlet.

For all those other "might need it" things, they stay in the car. For full disclosure, I use a tote or larger bag for certain settings and just put the wristlet in it, so there are times when I do have a bigger bag than just the wristlet. (For example, I was just at book club tonight, and had a larger bag so I could bring my water bottle, the book, my notebook with book notes, and a pen.)

• Like 2

I'm petite and don't have kids any more (they're both technically adults).

I have two options for flexibility.

First one is a good sized basic shoulder tote bag (similar to this). I use it when I'm going to be out and may need stuff. In addition to all the normal purse stuff it can easily accommodate a water bottle, my Kindle or iPad (or both), a water bottle, a "just in case the AC is too cold" sweater, etc.

The other option I use frequently is a Vera Bradley all-in-one wristlet and cross body. It's my standard wallet that lives in my tote bag and holds cash, credit cards, license and insurance cards It can also hold my phone. So if I'm doing a grocery run or a few quick errands I just grab my keys and put my phone in the wallet and go. The tote bag with all its other goodies stays home.

Having two options works best for me.

Yup! This is what I do, too!

• Like 1

All the crap the everyone, from the five-year-old to dh, gives me to carry. And some of my own crap, too.

Let me teach you my most useful phrase: "I am not your pack mule."

If my purse has to carry everybody's water bottles, wallet, sunglasses, snacks, small purchases, medicine, trash, etc. then everybody has to take turns carrying it. If I'm carrying a bag that is too heavy I get horrible neck spasms and get nauseated from the pain.

Only exception to the pack mule rule: if I make them bring jackets because I'm cold I will carry the tote bag. :D Unless it can be left in the car and retrieved fairly easily.

• Like 2

I flip-flop back and forth between a really small bag that is barely larger than a credit card to a big tote (that will sometimes have a smaller "purse" in there being used as a wallet).  I also have just about every size in between.

Right now I'm about mid-size.  I have a bag with two open compartments and a zippered compartment in the middle.  It will hold a 5 x 7 notebook easily in any of the pockets with lots of space left over.   I have: feminine products, benedryl, large wallet (multiple credit cards, license, AAA card, insurance cards), checkbook (we do occasionally still write checks), tons of change in the bottom, tissues, a small notebook that I use to record things I need to buy "next time I'm out", gift ideas and the kids sizes, a slightly larger journal (this is new), a couple pens, a baggie full of cough drops, and a crap load of old receipts/church bulletins/old shopping lists.  I really need to clean it out, and throw my inhaler back in there after our camping trip (it's in our first aid kit right now).  I can throw in a book, coloring book and markers, my Kindle, or almost anything else I may need.  Almost forgot - my glasses are in there whenever I leave the house, along with my phone.  Occasionally dh's glasses as well. 

I bought a case for my phone that holds my "emergency" use credit card, some cash, and a small flower dd colored for me.  I can just put that in my pocket and be good if I don't want to carry my purse.

When I go with a smaller purse, it's basically just a small wallet or loose credit cards (depending on how small), benedryl, pen, and small notebook.

Right now I'm carrying a wristlet -- it contains some cash, my ID, credit and debit card and keys. Inhaler has been moved to my Camelbak which I always have in my car in summer.

That's the bare minimum -- keys, cash, credit card, ID, lifesaving medication. If I'm going with a small handbag (my preference) that's ALL I carry and DH whines because I don't have room for his glasses case)

When I carry a little bigger bag it has to have room for my phone - my full wallet (With all of my cards and a folded up check -- I use checks so rarely that carrying the book doesn't make sense) Lip Balm. Small quantity of other OTC meds. Tissues. a pair of earbuds. a handful of gift cards.

My entire purse would fit inside your purse (probably multiple times). LOL

It is a small Coach clutch and holds:

My phone and a single car key in an outside pocket.

My small Hobo wallet with about 12 cards in it.

A few receipts/coupons/notes (about the  total equivalent of a 9x12 paper)

A binder clip that holds about 12 more cards.

A ring with 3 keys in the very bottom.

A Burts Bees lip balm.

Edited by Tap

I have a cloth bag for a purse (similar to this but a bit bigger and not so much structure). In it I usually have my wallet (small with cards, id), phone, and random receipts, I clip my keys (via harbinger) to the strap.  It's pretty empty.  What I LOVE is that I can fit several books, pens, water bottle, and such in it without issue. 

*Why I love it and will carry it until it falls apart?  Not only is it lightweight and carries a ton but it also cost me $1 at a yard sale to benefit a local girl scout troop.  The purse originally came from a friend's adult daughter who got it while on a trip to the Galapagos Islands so I am unlikely to see another one. 

Edited by foxbridgeacademy
  • Like 1

Wallet

Make up bag (small)

mini-umbrella

mini ipad

phone

pen

sharpie

highlighter

inhaler

charger/short cord 

tiny lotion (I never use it)

sunglasses

reading glasses

reg. distance glasses

I carry a Kavu bag

https://www.amazon.com/KAVU-Rope-Sling-Backpack-Island/dp/B01H54V2EQ/ref=pd_bxgy_468_img_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01H5KIHI4&pd_rd_r=B5P7HK7MGTW4Y0H4NTJC&pd_rd_w=1cEZk&pd_rd_wg=1pKKV&refRID=B5P7HK7MGTW4Y0H4NTJC&th=1&psc=1

I have a very small purse.  In it I carry:

Driver's license

Some cash

Credit Cards

Insurance Cards

A few individually wrapped Lactaids

A couple hair elastics

A pen

And there are pockets that are the perfect size for my phone and my Kindle (I literally brought the phone and Kindle to the store with me to pick out my purse because those fitting were the most important thing).

I have never needed anything else.

In the summer I usually carry a small satchel (Got it from Eddie Bauer 20 years ago!) rather than a purse. I's like to get a Kavu across the shoulder bag, but no $ right now.

Wallet, phone, pen, lip balm, kleenex. Usually some sort of list! 

Possibly sunglasses or mints, depending on where we are going.

When we go to the pool, I just put that stuff in the pool bag. Large canvas LL Bean bag. 

I only take a real purse to church or a more formal event in the summer. 

I do have lots of the extras you listed, but it's in my emergency bag in my van. Along with lots of other stuff!  ;)  :D

I have a purse that has slots for credit cards and a pocket for cash so I don't need a wallet.  I have a checkbook (although I've never used it out in public...I guess it's out of there!), all the insurance cards and credit cards, gum, a pen, some cash, my phone, and readers.  The readers are a new addition because I have finally gotten to the age that I can no longer read labels without them (Wahhhhh!).  I have a small cross body purse.  

You all seem so orderly compared to me! Do none of you have a bag full of weird stuff like I usually do? It just so happens that I recently cleaned out my purse but this is what is in mine:

wallet

keys

2 library books that I missed when we returned them last time

vaccination record books for youngest 5 - I keep them in there because I feel like we're always giving someone a shot

half a credit card

a medicine dropper

3 hair elastics

mini hand sanitizer

golf ball

pen

ultrasound requisition

a balloon filled with playdoh

folding scissors

clips from a tensor bandage

Thats all. Usually it's twice as full of weird stuff. You should see it when we do road trips!

Edited by Rose M

That's the bare minimum -- keys, cash, credit card, ID, lifesaving medication. If I'm going with a small handbag (my preference) that's ALL I carry and DH whines because I don't have room for his glasses case)

This is the main thing that keeps me from carrying just a wristlet - I have to have my glasses along.  I only need them to read, so can't wear them all the time, but I NEED them to read just about anything.