Menu

What outdoor recreational opportunities do you have near you (say within 15 minutes)

Ottakee

I was just thinking today how blessed we are with where we live.

This afternoon after lunch we loaded up the kids, a friend and a boyfriend and went to a state recreation area just 5 miles (maybe 10 minutes at most) away.  Dh and ds took their waverunners and the tube.  We also took 2 kayaks and the fishing poles.  Great area for waverunners and tubing, kayaking (including a smaller inland lake/pond that has no motors so very calm) and fishing.  There are also miles of mountain bike trails and horseback riding trails here as well.  You can even boat from this place downriver to Lake Michigan if you have the time and desire.  Downside is NO running water or potties of any sort.

In another direction from our house about 4 miles away we have a county park with mountain bike, hiking and horseback riding trails.  In the winter they have a very nice lodge with fire, groomed ski and skate ski trails (including several that have lights for night skiing), and 2 sledding hills and snowshoe trails.  They rent skis and snowshoes and have a small concession stand as well. All but rentals are FREE to use and rentals are only $8 for 2 hours so very reasonable.

We also have a township park kiddy corner across the road with 1 mile of hiking trails (plus extra criss cross trails), mountain bike trails, horse trails, soccer fields, tennis courts, basketball courts, baseball diamonds, sand volleyball court, picnic area, and playground (but only porta potties)

We are also only 15 minutes from a small beach on Lake Michigan and 20 from one of the nicest state parks on Lake Michigan that has sugar sand beaches, a pier to walk, boardwalk into town, etc.

Our county alone as 38 county parks to explore, all but the 4 on Lake Michigan are free to visit and a $20 car tab pass gets you access to the other 4 and all boat launches for the entire family for the entire year.

• Like 5

Sounds like a lovely area. What a fun day! Did you catch any fish?

In our area...

Tons of parks and playgrounds, too many to count

An outdoor pool

Hiking trails both in and outside city limits, including horse trails and trails for mountain biking

Within 15 minutes, two large rivers, several creeks, and one lake--swimming, fishing, boating, kayaking and canoeing, rafting. More lakes, rivers, waterfalls, (and the hikes that so often go along with them) within 20-30 minutes.

Bike paths that stretch along the largest river and through the city

A few skate parks for skateboarders

A campground

An outdoor amphitheater

Four (?that I can think of off the top of my head) community gardens

A couple outdoor sports rec centers with soccer and baseball fields, basketball and tennis courts

• Like 1

Well, absolutely nothing like that, lol. There really aren't that many places you can get to within 15 minutes to begin with (curse you, traffic!). 

A simple neighborhood park with a gym and sports fields. It has a tot lot, a walking path, and lots of recreational sport teams for ages 4-17. This one is on our street, I am sure there are more in a short driving distance. 

A nature preserve where you can hike and observe local fauna and flora. You used to be able to canoe, but the aquatic vegetation has been out of control for years and there is no funding to manage it. This is a fantastic place, but it's basically all hiking, all the time. And our geography is completely flat, so the hiking can be a tad less interesting than other places. You can pick a longer or shorter trail, but not really an easy or difficult one. 

30-45 minutes, you get some places where you can picnic, walk, hike, boat, fish, and hunt. Our city park is lovely, and famous for its mature oak trees, some of which are hundreds of years old. The campus that my dd DEs at is situated on a gorgeous lakefront.

Anything else is going to be further, usually by a good bit. We don't have beaches or hills. Like we seriously don't have hills, except for two artificial ones, one at the zoo and one at the city park. Small children can climb either of them in about 30 seconds, lol. 

Edited by katilac
  • Like 1

I am surrounded by national park in all directions.  :)  So just about all the features you'd expect in a foresty national park.

I am also maybe 20 minutes' drive from one of the Great Lakes.

There's a ski place maybe 25 minutes away - but I've never skied.

My kids' horse riding place is a 12 minute drive.  Besides riding, they also do canoeing, archery, etc there.

We have at least half a dozen parks within a few miles, and they all have woods as well as ball fields etc.

Probably other stuff I'm not remembering.

3 rivers one of which is basically lined with parks, with little swim areas they all have life vests to borrow some have kayak, paddle board, & pedal boat rentals

Multiple nature preserves with trails 

2 mountains with hiking, biking and horse trails

We have tons of parks there are 2 with in 2 blocks of my house.

Camping is 20-30minutes away

To get to a forest, lake, or skiing is about 1.5hrs

15 minutes away, not much. There is a county park that has a cross country course, we call it fake hiking when we go there.

Within 30 minutes we have several areas for hiking, horseback trails, plus creeks that can be be run via canoe or kayak. At just over an hour we have a lot more options, including a National Forest and several state parks.

Within 15 minutes:

- hiking

- paddling/rowing/sailing/fishing

- mountain biking

- cross-country skiing

- snow shoeing

- skating

- horseback riding

- rock climbing

- tobogganing hills

- beach

- swimming in the river

- camping (summer and winter)

- shooting range

- low and high ropes courses

- orienteering

- bird sanctuary

- tennis

- sports fields

- beach volleyball

- dog parks

- biking paths

- playgrounds

- outdoor swimming pools

- skateboard park

- frisbee golf

- fitness park (with stations set up for push-ups, pull-ups, etc.

- community garden

within a 5 mile radius, which could take 15 minutes

-miles of bike trails

-15 seasonal swimming pools

-lots of tennis courts

-athletic fields, basketball courts, sand volleyball courts

-small nature center with paths

-4 lakes with the possibility of boating, fishing, SUP (2 of those lakes have rental concessions for water craft), walking/jogging trails around lakes

-regional water park

-regional park rail trail (former railroad paved for bike trail)

further, but still within 15 minutes

-national park with hiking, rock climbing over a river

-regional park that connects to national park by trails with hiking, boating ( with concessions for water craft), fishing. 

Isn't it amazing how many of us have so many outdoor recreation opportunities so close to home?

It is great. I think where I live a lot of people just see suburban sprall and don't discover what's available. Which is too bad, because it's nice to have an escape right outside your door. 

• Like 2

I'm out in the desert, so no water sports. Everything is pretty far away. I drive 20 minutes for groceries.

There's a sky diving school in my neighbourhood. There are horses. Lots of horses. And golf. So many golf courses, I can't count. They are everywhere.

We have state parks, but they are 20 minutes or more. Hiking, camping, picnicking.

A lake with water that has warnings associated with it. Lots of folks swim in it, fish and boat in it though. City parks and playgrounds. A wildlife refuge with easy hiking trails, horses and bicycles allowed. Dogs too.

Within an hour: national grasslands with a lake, fishing, hiking trails, free camping; state park with a lake, campgrounds, row boat and canoe rentals, snack bar in season; hiking trails; rappelling. Horses and bicycles allowed. Dogs too.

The downside: the cost for the refuge and state park. The trash at the city parks. The water is lake water and scary looking. 

Coastal Maine, so pretty much everything people visit the state for... :)

Yep. DH and I talked about that this weekend as we sat along the boardwalk and watched the boats and the tourists.....people pay big money to vacation here.

• Like 1

I live in a city so likely less than many others. Within 15 minutes walking from me: two large parks, a small lake mostly suited for fishing, bird watching, and RC boats, the River Derwent and its' walking paths, the small forest and open spaces by the river, & the bird sanctuary. The larger park has a lot of sports facilities - courts for tennis and basketball, football pitches, BMX and such riding tracks with ramps and such, outdoor exercise equipment area, and such. Only the larger park has toilets but the small one backs up onto a lot of houses so most can just use our own houses or friends' houses. 

If we're talking 15 minutes driving, there are dozens of other parks, woods, along with the Elvaston Castle nature reserve & their other groups with the large forests and park. I could go walking for hours in the woods and the kids love the large paths around especially when horses go past. There are also tons of bike and walking paths everywhere. For mountains though, I'd need to go... 30-40 minutes north by car/bus for the Peak District National Park. I've no idea where one would go for lakes to go boating, though I know the local rowing groups all use parts of the river. 

I love it here. When my older two were small, we live on the other side of the city where it meets the suburbs and it was awful for me. In a 15 minute walk there was one tiny park between some blocks of flats and one big open area with a park that had very little upkeep. The rest was mainly housing as far as the eye could see though it was far leafier looking with more trees dotted everywhere. It felt both cramped and isolating because there were so many houses but no communal space and we had to leave to do anything. 

I live in a suburb of a larger city. So within about 15 minutes we have:

7 parks (the kind with playgrounds, a few walking trails, ball fields, maybe a small lake)

A nature preserve

Our neighborhood has access to a 4 mile greenway for biking/walking

Two splash pads

A large pool at the Y (we are members)

A museum

Golf courses

Carowinds (amusement park)

We are about an hour and a half from the Appalacian mountains and 2 hours from the beach, which is great for daytrips or weekend trips. I really like it here but Im envious of everyone who has either of these things in their backyards!

Edited by tdbates78

In my neighborhood we have a pool, playground, tennis courts, basketball court, a volleyball court and two large open areas. We have a greenway entrance in our neighborhood that goes all over town and connects to several other parks. There is a skatepark in town and we are about 15 minutes away from a mid size lake with boat ramps and camping. The nearest state park is 20 minutes away. The city next to us has a large nature preserve. We are 3 hours from the beach in one direction and three hours from the mountains in the other direction.

Well, we're on the east coast of Florida so plenty of beaches. We don't live beachside, but I can be at the closest beach (which is also a national park) in 15 minutes. In addition to beaches we have many walking trails, sancutaries, and state, national, and local parks in the area. Though we don't take advantage of it, there's the river/lagoon where a lot of people go boating. You can go kayaking in several lakes nearby or the aforementioned river. For a passive outdoor activity there's a nearby canal where you can see manatees year-round (as opposed to mainly winter in other areas). In winter many of our wildlife refuges are a birdwatcher's paradise. Campgrounds are a little farther away though you can get to one in about half an hour. There are also some unofficial camping areas but we've never wanted to camp at one of those. I could list everything but there's just too much. Suffice it to say if you want outdoor activity you can find more than enough here. 

Anyone who thinks Florida is all about theme parks or crowded, built up beaches with condos blocking the view, should come to my area. 

Our main local park has a canoe launch (it's on a river), paved walking trails, a couple of playgrounds, fishing (if you purchase a license), tennis courts, frisbee golf, an outdoor amphitheater (they bring in local bands over the summer/popular place for weddings/etc), and a pool. Smaller town park has a skate park, a basketball court, a free splash pad, and an outdoor ice rink (winter only). Another area park has soccer fields and baseball diamonds.

There is a nature conservation center that does guided walks as well as just has trails.

There are 2 golf courses within about 15-20 minutes.

A water park is within 10 minutes.

The state park with a lake (boating, fishing, kayaking), a campground, and nature trails is about 25 minutes away.

Right at 20 minutes is an "adventure park", which means a zipline in the summer and tubing/snowboard hills in winter.

There is a small privately owned zoo about 2 miles down the road from me.

About a half hour north is a large biking trail (converted from a railroad).

With about a 40ish minutes radius, there are a Japanese garden, an arboretum, and a conservatory with large pond as well as a riverwalk.

Within 10 miles:

An alpaca farm

other "kid" farm places

multiple playgrounds

multiple county and state parks for hiking, biking, camping

multiple lakes for kayaking, swimming, canoeing, fishing

multiple nature centers/educational centers

horseback riding places

pick your own farms

Revolutionary Era National Historical Areas 

park with a zipline and sky-bridges

a couple museums

You'd all be jealous of the number of cafes serving decent coffee I have within 15 min of here, though (she says, feeling underwhelmed at what her suburb offers otherwise!) I'd estimate at least 50.

That's a whole lotta coffee! Lol

Within 15 minutes is mostly biking and hiking, but we do have a semi decent river for kayaking. 20 minutes and we have Lake Huron which means gorgeous beaches, swimming, boating, kayaking, fishing. There are some small town parks and with limited play structures, but nothing really for older kids and adults.

We have a large, wooded city park that screws up traffic. Does that count? Actually, I shouldn't dis Rock Creek. It's actually lovely and we use it all the time. Mostly, it's just walking in the woods though.

We can get to the river to rent kayaks as well, I suppose. You can kayak in the canals too. Oh, and there is horseback riding in Rock Creek.

But any kind of recreational sports field you like is probably walkable from our house, as well as several playgrounds and even a gorgeous historic park with a cascading fountain. Oh, and the zoo. We can walk to the zoo. That's kind of nature.

Like Sadie, though, the number of cafes I can walk to in fifteen minutes is much more impressive than the nature.