Menu

If you love coffee

DawnM

How much do you drink?

Just a question.

I didn't post a poll because people drink different kinds of coffee (espressos, drip, pour over, turkish, etc...) and consider a "cup" to be different sizes.  

What do you drink?

I had managed to cut back to one largish mug with 2Tbs sweetened creamer, but my comfort zone is closer to 4 great big mugs a day with generous creamer pours!

I make extra strong New York blend with Natural Bliss or Simply Pure french vanilla.

I sometimes settle for the gas station's dark roast with regular International Delight french vanilla.

• Like 1

I usually have three, sometimes four, 6 oz cups of Costco Costa Rican coffee per day. Our local Costco stopped carrying it, so we order it online. If I'm getting Starbucks or someplace similar, I tend to get an Americano. Once in a while I'll get a flavored latte, but not nearly as often as I did when I was younger.

• Like 1

You knew I'd appear in this thread, didn't you? :)

3 cappuccinos in the am. One before meds, one with meds, one after. My machine makes a cappuccino with one shot of espresso and I've tweaked the milk so it's mostly foam. So it's not like a Starbucks cappuccino.

One in the afternoon, sometimes 2.

We do after dinner espresso many nights.

Occasionally we'll sit on the porch with a cappuccino and a splash of kahlua or mint chocolate liqueur in the early evening, but not so often when the weather is warm.

ETA: aside from the morning, all of the others may vary. I don't do all of those on any given day. But I really don't keep track, either. My doc knows about my coffee consumption.

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 2

I usually just have 2 cups in the morning - standard American style coffee mugs, so they hold about 6 oz. Once in a while I'll have an extra cup later in the morning if I'm feeling sluggish.

Sometimes in summer I have an iced coffee in the afternoon, but not every day. In the rare cold days of a Florida winter I'll drink more than my 2 cups of hot coffee. The latest I can have coffee (other than decaf which I don't really care for) is about 3pm. The latest I can drink tea is 4:30. In my younger days caffeine didn't affect my ability to sleep at night, but now it does. Sometimes I'll drink a cup of decaf with dessert after a nice restaurant meal, but mostly I just cut myself off from caffeine drinks after the times stated above.

• Like 1

I grew up with espresso being served at the end of a big holiday meal, but it wasn't served in large cups like it is today. All our family members had a set of demitasse cups in which it was served (it was made on the stove in this style1960s pot). As kids we were allowed a few sips. The adults usually added a bit of anisette to theirs. 

I still have a few of the demitasse cups and saucers that were my mother's but only one of the spoons. 

• Like 2

Probably 2 8 ounce cups every morning, plus another 8 ounces or so in the afternoon, hot or iced, depending on the season. Occasionally after dinner, mostly if we go out. If we make after dinner coffee at home, it's usually half caf.

I only drink decaf. Our everyday beans are the decaf Costco ones that are roasted by Starbucks.

I drink 4 10iz mugs in the morning with 1T (ish) of half and half in each. No sweeteners.

I'll make myself an Americano or a latte in the evening once or twice a week.

When I don't watch it, I easily creep up to 4-5 12 oz cups a day.  My heart can't really deal with that though, and my stomach isn't fond of it either.  So I generally try to keep it down to two.  Often is is a 12oz mug in the morning, and an iced coffee around lunch.  I am, however, sitting here sipping an iced coffee right now..lol.

We love coffee and are fortunate to have local roasters to buy from.

I've cut down to 1 large cup each morning and only green tea or water after that. We also buy several growlers of cold brew each week. Other family members have an iced coffee in the afternoon as well, but I only do that if I know I need to stay up late.

A large insulated mug (16 oz?) of Trader Joe's Kenyan something or another (Technivorm MocaMaster drip coffee maker) or two in the morning. In the afternoon, iced coffee. Either cold brew or iced espresso from a Nespresso machine.

I take it about half coffee and half milk (plus sugar), and I've had a quart of that mixture today. That's my upper limit. Most days it's half that.

DH doesn't like coffee, but he makes it for me. :001_wub:

Edited by whitehawk

Usually about 3 cups regular (no cream, no sugar) Then, depending on the day, I might drink decaf and/or tea--black, green, white, herbal, whatever I'm in the mood for. No real set amount on those drinks. I've had a few days where I drink only tea, though; no coffee.  :svengo: 

:laugh:

Since I got the Nespresso it is more. I have a one shot drink in the morning, either a small Americano or a latte or cappuccino. All of those are smaller than what you would see at say Starbucks. Sometimes on the weekends a second after that. Then after lunch another one or two shot drink, usually an iced Americano. I generally do one shot caffeinated and one shot decaf if I do two shots. Then in the evening often another, usually a shot of espresso with a bit of cream and sugar, or a café con panna which has whipped cream. That one is decaf. sometimes another one somewhere in there usually around 4 o'clock which will have caffeine. Best part is that espresso doesn't bother my reflux like regular coffee does.

Edited by ktgrok

I grew up with espresso being served at the end of a big holiday meal, but it wasn't served in large cups like it is today. All our family members had a set of demitasse cups in which it was served (it was made on the stove in this style1960s pot). As kids we were allowed a few sips. The adults usually added a bit of anisette to theirs.

I still have a few of the demitasse cups and saucers that were my mother's but only one of the spoons.

Yes, we use demitasse cups for espresso here, too. It's more fun that way. The kids get lemonade in theirs. Even for adults, we're talking about a rather tiny shot of espresso. We have every day espresso cups that look like fiesta ware, and can go in the dishwasher. And then we have my great grandmother's demitasse cups. And her Turkish coffee set (2 of them, actually), and I get a kick out of realizing she was also a bit addicted. :D

It sounds like a lot, but seriously - our machine is set to serve a rather small shot of espresso. My drinks are tiny, compared to most American coffee mugs.

• Like 1

You knew I'd appear in this thread, didn't you? :)

3 cappuccinos in the am. One before meds, one with meds, one after. My machine makes a cappuccino with one shot of espresso and I've tweaked the milk so it's mostly foam. So it's not like a Starbucks cappuccino.

One in the afternoon, sometimes 2.

Occasionally we'll sit on the porch with a cappuccino and a splash of kahlua or mint chocolate liqueur in the early evening, but not so often when the weather is warm.

ETA: aside from the morning, all of the others may vary. I don't do all of those on any given day. But I really don't keep track, either. My doc knows about my coffee consumption.

My new toy arrived 5 days ago.   :hurray:   I am having 3 lattes with double shots each.  2 in the am and 1 in the early afternoon.

• Like 1

Not alcohol shots. A serving of espresso is called a shot.

My friend told me she did shots at a BBQ last night and I thought she meant espresso shots!  hahahaha!  It is all in context I guess.  I just think coffee.

• Like 1

I grew up with an alcoholic so my mind just went there naturally.

Now that I know that an espresso is a shot I feel so PNW, or something.

I usually have 2 8oz cups in the morning, but I may leave an oz our two in the second cup.  I usually have another cup around 3pm, but sometimes that one is decaf.  We have Jura espresso machine.  We love coffee and have had one for almost 20 years.  We just had to replace it last year.  I am starting to wonder exactly what I can do to avoid coffee stains on my bottom teeth.  The crest white strips are not cutting it anymore. 

Coffee with shots?? Whoa.

Not alcohol shots. A serving of espresso is called a shot.

Well, I did say upthread that espresso at my family meals when I was growing up often included a shot of anisette for the adults. This is not at all uncommon in Italian-American homes. Also, I've had coffee with liqueurs in it - usually Irish cream or amaretto or kahlua. All are delicious. 

• Like 1

I grew up with an alcoholic so my mind just went there naturally.

Now that I know that an espresso is a shot I feel so PNW, or something.

You know, though, I did say we occasionally have a splash of kahlua in a cappuccino - so you weren't just making it up! We are in the midst of stripping and cleaning a deck and I'm chemical addled. Aaaagh! I remembered that right after posting about espresso being called a shot. :)

I don't have much experience with alcoholism, directly, so my brain didn't go there until you pointed it out. I never even connected "shot" with alcohol - I always think coffee! Funny how life experience colors out thinking.

Well, I did say upthread that espresso at my family meals when I was growing up often included a shot of anisette for the adults. This is not at all uncommon in Italian-American homes. Also, I've had coffee with liqueurs in it - usually Irish cream or amaretto or kahlua. All are delicious.

We make our own kahlua. To put in our espresso. It is yum. :)

I have never tried annisette, but Aldi has a mint chocolate that is delicious. If you need to go back to your roots.

• Like 1

We make our own kahlua. To put in our espresso. It is yum. :)

I have never tried annisette, but Aldi has a mint chocolate that is delicious. If you need to go back to your roots.

How do you make kahlua 

I love coffee and am very picky, but I probably only drink two cups/day.  One in the morning (a strong cup of brewed), and then usually one other later in the day...  It might be brewed, or stove-top espresso, or a number of things.