Menu

I can't find a "normal" slip anywhere

HollyDay

I went looking for a "normal" slip.  The kind our mothers used to wear.  No "whale bone".  No underwire.  Not built in panties.  I couldn't find a single one.  Went to 3 stores and couldn't find one.  I ended up buying a "sliplike" thing that looked great under the dress I needed a slip for.  But, it was quite miserable.  I had to get up during church and go unhook it! 

Where can I buy a "normal" slip???

• Like 1

Do people never wear them anymore?

Nope. I think skirts are more opaque now, and when people do need something they often wear slip shorts I think? None of my skirts need a slip but I remember wearing them a lot when I was younger. 

Pretty sure you can find slips on Amazon. But, I've only looked at half slips, not full.  

I wish I knew where people are finding skirts that are opaque.  So frustrating to buy a summer skirt and have to wear a slip with it.    

• Like 2

I couldn't find slips for my dd's when they were little so I made them. Bought the silky fabric, a tiny lace like edging, very narrow, and sewed it to the cami. I haven't worn one in a while but I do live where it's uncomfortable to wear layers. I think I'd be able to make myself one, bought ones are too long, too short, too tight, etc.

This reminds me of the thread where pantyhose were being discussed. Yes, folks in Maryland are still wearing them and tights in the cooler weather. 

Is a slip the same thing as a petticoat? Here they are available everywhere.

A half slip is the same thing as a petticoat. I rather wear PE shorts under my convent school pinafore as a kid though some classmates did wear petticoats.

A full slip starts from the shoulders. Something like this on Myer Australia webpage https://m.myer.com.au/shop/mobile/mystore/smooth-slip-usow12000-972985070

Edited by Arcadia

I had to look up slip shorts.  I don't see how those take the place of a slip under a too-sheer skirt.  The purpose of a slip is so people don't see the outline of the thighs under the skirt, right?   The slip shorts I see are too form-fitting to fulfill that purpose.   I think these would prevent chafing for people (like me) whose thighs rub together.

When I was in high school we wore petti-pants which are more slip-like (loose, not form-fitting).  I see they are still sold at Walmart.  

I had to look up slip shorts.  I don't see how those take the place of a slip under a too-sheer skirt.  The purpose of a slip is so people don't see the outline of the thighs under the skirt, right?   The slip shorts I see are too form-fitting to fulfill that purpose.   I think these would prevent chafing for people (like me) whose thighs rub together.

When I was in high school we wore petti-pants which are more slip-like (loose, not form-fitting).  I see they are still sold at Walmart.  

Petti pants were what I meant. oops.

Nope. I think skirts are more opaque now, and when people do need something they often wear slip shorts I think? None of my skirts need a slip but I remember wearing them a lot when I was younger. 

I wear slips not only because of less-than-opaque dresses (and I wear *whole* slips, not half slips, so it isn't only skirts that I'm thinking about) but because it keeps any scratchy tags or seams or anything from annoying me, and because it helps the fabric of the dress keep from sticking to random parts of my body, lol. I *always* wear a slip; once in awhile I wear what we used to call "pettipants" back in the olden days, in which case I usually wear a camisole as well.

• Like 1

I'm very happy with these pettipants / culotte slips from Amazon. They're very comfortable and not tight at all. 

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 1

Is a slip the same thing as a petticoat? Here they are available everywhere.

Where I've lived in the US, a petticoat would be a full, lightweight skirt, less stiff than a crinoline, worn under a larger skirt to make it fill out.

• Like 3

A half slip is the same thing as a petticoat. I rather wear PE shorts under my convent school pinafore as a kid though some classmates did wear petticoats.

A full slip starts from the shoulders. Something like this on Myer Australia webpage https://m.myer.com.au/shop/mobile/mystore/smooth-slip-usow12000-972985070

See, I don't even think of this as a good old fashioned slip, what you linked is more of a smoothing shaper. Nice, but modern. A traditional slip is nylon (or some polyester) or silk, and may be fitted, but not conforming or made to stretch around the body. It's more to add opaqueness than shape. My world, anyway, lol!

• Like 4

I recently bought a full slip on Amazon. I think it was around $10.

I've lost 40 pounds with only 10 to go, so my pregancy slip didn't work anymore  :hurray:. 

I like a certain style of dress that requires a full slip.

• Like 2

I recently bought a full slip on Amazon. I think it was around $10.

I've lost 40 pounds with only 10 to go, so my pregancy slip didn't work anymore :hurray:.

I like a certain style of dress that requires a full slip.

What style?

I've bought them recently at JCPenney and Walmart, and considered them at Amazon.  They were simple nylon things, not high quality, but they worked to add a bit of modesty and keep my skirt from sticking to my rear end when I stood up.

I have worn a slip once in my entire life. My wedding day. And it was more for hold the dress in a bell shape than to add thickness. I got married in January in a train length formal wedding gown. No fear of anyone seeing my knickers.

Every dress we have owned has either not needed a slip, or we just bike shorts or tights under it.

I don't think I have purchased panty hose in 20 years either.

Good riddance to it all imnsho.

• Like 1

I own one full slip and it's miserable. It is too clingy. My half slips are old and do not fit well. Last time I looked for a slip it was very difficult. Glad to see some people have seen them in stores.

To me a petticoat is the big fluffy thing that sometimes deliberately sticks out of dresses. I think of a slip as thin and lying flat and not meant to be seen.

• Like 1

To me a petticoat is the big fluffy thing that sometimes deliberately sticks out of dresses. I think of a slip as thin and lying flat and not meant to be seen.

I haven't worn a petticoat in over 50 years, while I wear slips weekly (with almost all dresses). I even own a full culotte slip for a dress I made that is, well, culottes. :D

• Like 1

This is the style of petticoats my mom and aunts grew up with http://www.marksandspencer.com/pure-cotton-lace-trim-waist-slip/p/p60092245?image=SD_02_T33_0012A_Z0_X_EC_90&color=WHITE&prevPage=plp&pdpredirect

The full slips including the nearly ankle length ones http://www.marksandspencer.com/l/lingerie/slips?&mcptredirect&edcredirect

ETA:

My parents were born during WWII.

Edited by Arcadia