Menu

Reasonable cost for braces

MaeFlowers

I took ds for a consultation at the orthodontist today. The cost was higher than expected. They quoted us $5300 for the entire treatment process including his retainers and treatment after the braces come off. He doesn't need appliances, just rubber bands. Does this seem reasonable or should I keep shopping?

Yep, unfortunately that is about right.  We were able to get a small discount by paying cash upfront, but not enough to make a big dent in the cost.  

What we are seeing a lot with children of friends, is that they go through 2 rounds of braces.....a set on for about a year, about a year or so off, and another set put on for a couple more years.  They call that 2-phase orthodontics (or something like that).  I think that is even more expensive in the long run.  

Yep, unfortunately that is about right. We were able to get a small discount by paying cash upfront, but not enough to make a big dent in the cost.

What we are seeing a lot with children of friends, is that they go through 2 rounds of braces.....a set on for about a year, about a year or so off, and another set put on for a couple more years. They call that 2-phase orthodontics (or something like that). I think that is even more expensive in the long run.

No, thank you to the extended. They are saying two years for the braces and then a year of visits with the retainers. They said it might be shorter if he is good about using the bands. His teeth are straight but he has gaps and and his bite has issues.

• Like 1

Well, it is good to know that price is normal. Everyone we have asked has recommended this orthodontist group so I feel good about that but I wanted to make sure the price was reasonable.

Money. Ugh.

You might want to consider another couple of consults.  There were two ways my ds16 could've gone for treatment, and there was a significant price difference.  One quoted the most expensive option, one the least expensive option, and one place gave us both options.

Edited by JudoMom

Yes, that is the price range around here, as well. My younger kids had the first of what is expected to be a two-phase process a few years ago, and their fees were slightly lower, but we had a multi-kid discount.

My oldest just started her first round of braces. We got consultations at two places, and the price difference was significant -- about $1000 more at the place we decided not to use. So I agree with getting more than one quote and consultation, unless there is a reason you need or want to use a certain orthodontist.

We were able to lower our costs by choosing a different dental plan at the end of last year, which gave us some coverage, and by paying in full upfront.

I agree that around $5k for a 2-year treatment plan (2 years in braces, so not including retainer time) sounds right. My kids had very different mouths, but both were estimated to take 2 years and the costs were around that mark (probably slightly higher, like yours). Youngest had already had an early phase which was shorter and cost less, but of course her total was more with the two phases. Both were seen for an additional year for quick retainer checks, but it was only something like 3 visits total at 3 mo, 6 mo, and the 1 year mark.

Edited by Ali in OR

I took ds for a consultation at the orthodontist today. The cost was higher than expected. They quoted us $5300 for the entire treatment process including his retainers and treatment after the braces come off. He doesn't need appliances, just rubber bands. Does this seem reasonable or should I keep shopping?

My son just had his put on last week. Price was about the same. Area- Anchorage, Alaska.

About 6k for us, top and bottom braces, 20-ish months.  Similar price for two kids (one a little less and shorter time, the other a little more and longer, though it turned out that the shorter-time one needed more work, so they'll get them off about the same time).

A few years ago, the palate expander process was 2k.

get another opinion.  I went to a place just down the road from me for my first quote.  It seemed high, so I drove 8 minutes away to a town considered less wealthy.  They quoted me much lower for the same treatment.  Plus they offer a family 10% discount for another family member or more.  

Also, if there is a new office in town see if they are offering a deal.  My ds had phase 1 with an orthodontist who had a brand new office.  He did that phase for 3k.  Insurance paid half.  

Our current place is $5982.  (If we had done the place closer to our home it was $6500)   Sadly we changed insurance and my dd's account will only get 1k from insurance.  So I'm thankful for the 10% LOL

My oldest 2 are in braces right now. We got 3 consults. The prices were: 6100, 6300, and 6500. Per child.

The first 2 were on our insurance and we could've gotten them for ~6500 for both together.

The problem is - my middle child has a fairly rare skeletal issue and neither one of the first 2 noticed it and when I asked about it, they blew it off.

The 3rd one caught it and showed me on X-rays and explained it all, even though I already knew. She didn't know that though, because I wanted to know if she caught it.

We went with the 3rd and are paying 2x as much. I didn't trust the others.

My oldest was a "may need an appliance, may not" case and my middle one was a "definitely needs an appliance" case. He gets his appliance at the end of May. My oldest is doing well enough he will most likely avoid an appliance.

We were told 24-36 months, partly depending on compliance with rubber bands. It covers the everything to do with the braces, the retainer and a year (or 2, I can't remember) follow-ups.

• Like 1

That's about what we paid for phase 2. We had no appliances or surgeries either. Phase 1 was cheaper, but the total of all treatments will run about 7,000. Insurance covered a significant portion, but not half. Phase 1 was in a low COL area and phase 2 was in a high COL area, so our total may have been different if we'd been in one place the entire time.

We got a couple quotes and one place was significantly cheaper. It was maybe $500-700 cheaper, but every bit counts. 

5280 is what we are paying for my oldest's 2 year, no appliance, run of the mill braces. The other orthodontist we consulted with came in as 5350, so it seems reasonable.

Middle has had 1st run of braces (to save a tooth she injured and expand the mouth using headgear) which was $2500. She is ready for round 2 which will be $6000 some including a herbst appliance.

This is right in line with the prices I have had quoted to us in two different states, at five different offices in the last two years.  Our quotes were all in the $5200-5900 range. Both patients did not need expanders or other interventional hardware. Invisalign runs about $1k more.  

I am so happy.  Just finished DC3 consult.  $5080 for Invisalign in an affluent area.    Consult last year in prior state, which I consider a low COL, struggling area was $6500.   DC1 cost over $11,000 for 2 phases not including extractions and more (and 8 years!).  DC2 was around $5500 for regular braces in prior state.  

edited to add:  no dental insurance on any DC.

Edited by zimom

We don't have insurance, either. Invisalign seems like a great option. I would have loved them when I had braces but I don't know if ds would be responsible enough to keep them in long enough each day. I feel like I would have to be on him all the time about using them. *I* really just don't want the stress of it. LOL

• Like 1

Pretty normal pricing from what I've seen.

6,500 for braces, retainer etc, etc.

FWIW, I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in how long they say the braces will stay on.  We were told ds1's braces would be off in 2 years, they were on for 6.  He did have some specific issues, but those things stayed on forever, lol.  He got them at 9 and got them off at 15. Once he got  his retainer he only has occasional appts, maybe 2x a year.

But the payments were not extended or anything. We paid monthly with no interest, and once we were done paying the 6500 we were done, no matter how long the treatment took. I am pretty sure they lost money on ds1, lol.

We don't have insurance, either. Invisalign seems like a great option. I would have loved them when I had braces but I don't know if ds would be responsible enough to keep them in long enough each day. I feel like I would have to be on him all the time about using them. *I* really just don't want the stress of it. LOL

having heard enough invisalign stories, I would only let my teen get them if s/he was paying for braces themselves.  They have to take them out to eat anything and they get forgotten/lost and need to be replaced, they forget to put them in for a couple day, have a sleepover and forget them at a friends house...blah blah.  No way.

No way, no how would we have chosen Invisalign for DC1.  He did not even wear his retainer after 8+ years of braces.  

DC2 we would have given Invisalign if it was in the budget.  She has been an adult since she was a toddler.  Her teeth were also likely too severe to allow Invisalign.    

DC3 has a unique set of circumstances so we are thankful that we can now budget for Invisalign.  Some of these circumstances also make her a good candidate to wear her appliances regularly so I don't think we will be battling her.  Of course, more then once I have been wrong when it comes to this child LOL