Menu

Damn, Carrie Fisher died.

Moxie

Damn! I can't say I'm surprised, especially if she was unconscious as long as some reports said.

Yes, she was stable, but that's not an actual condition. Stable meant her condition (which was critical) was unchanged. You can be dead and be stable.

Good point. 

Plus, medical stuff can change so quickly that stable one minute does not mean stable an hour from now.

• Like 3

after my mother - I fully expected this.  and I figured it would be today that we'd hear anything, both due to Christmas holiday/weekend and timing of medical procedures in these circumstances.  (my mother's were very similar.). 

my condolences to her family.

eta: all stable means is their medical condition is not changing.  they may have turned off her ventilator, or she could have died despite the ventilator.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 4

after my mother - I fully expected this.  and I figured it would be today that we'd hear anything, both due to Christmas holiday/weekend and timing of medical procedures in these circumstances.  (my mother's were very similar.). 

eta: all stable means is their medical condition is not changing.  they may have turned off her ventilator, or she could have died despite the ventilator.

My daughter used to work in organ donation and we've been talking about Carrie a lot this weekend.   I also expected we'd hear something early this week. 

Another younger daughter is very upset and her sister is acting like a know-it-all and isn't helping.   Ahh, the joys of having people in the medical field in your family. 

I feel so bad for Debbie Reynolds.  No mother should have to bury her child. 

May Carrie rest in peace.

• Like 6

My daughter used to work in organ donation and we've been talking about Carrie a lot this weekend.   I also expected we'd hear something early this week. 

Another younger daughter is very upset and her sister is acting like a know-it-all and isn't helping.   Ahh, the joys of having people in the medical field in your family. 

I feel so bad for Debbie Reynolds.  No mother should have to bury her child

May Carrie rest in peace.

my paternal grandmother was beyond devastated at my father's death.  magnified due to her being very religious - and he rejected her version.

back in the early 80s- carrie od'd.  her brother was yelling at her  in the hospital because she almost died  then.  she came a long way, with many obstacles. bipolar, drug addiction. and she once said "how could she have had a normal life with Elizabeth taylor as her step-mother" . . .

• Like 3

after my mother - I fully expected this. and I figured it would be today that we'd hear anything, both due to Christmas holiday/weekend and timing of medical procedures in these circumstances. (my mother's were very similar.).

eta: all stable means is their medical condition is not changing. they may have turned off her ventilator, or she could have died despite the ventilator.

DH and I did as well-this was very similar to his mother's situation.

• Like 1

Damn! I can't say I'm surprised, especially if she was unconscious as long as some reports said.

Yes, she was stable, but that's not an actual condition. Stable meant her condition (which was critical) was unchanged. You can be dead and be stable.

Thanks for explaining this.  When I read the news that she has passed, I was one of those who thought, "But I thought she was stable."

I'm still surprised. 

• Like 1

I was expecting this, but I was hoping I was wrong.

^^^ Ditto to both of these.

Still...  :crying:

• Like 2

2016 needs a time out for the next few days. I am quite saddened, yet I am glad she did the last Star Wars, it was good to hear her replies to those who thought her too old and too out of shape to reprise the role.

I could not agree more. I hope this is the case. My physical therapist just told me this afternoon that the week between Christmas and New Year's has the highest heart attack rate of the year. Not sure if it's true but would seem not too far off from the last few days. :(

My father collapsed suddenly last year with a heart issue, was put on artificial life support and died 5 days later after being declared brain dead and turning off the vent.    I fully expected it too after hearing what happened and how it went down.  The odds of coming back after enduring CPR for even a very short amount of time is near zero.  After going through it, I think they try so hard to get them on a vent to allow families time to come to terms and say goodbye.   Stable really means almost nothing if someone is in ICU on a vent not conscious.

She was a gem for so many reasons and I'm so sad.  :(

Edited by WoolySocks
  • Like 5

We were shocked and saddened to hear of her passing. We are big SW fans. It will be weird watching her in the SW VIII next year, but I'm glad that she'll be a part of it, too.

As a middle-aged woman myself, I was horrified and incredulous that people were criticizing her last year for looking too old and fat. How hurtful. 

Agreed!  I thought she looked beautiful in VII!  People have completely unrealistic expectations of aging!  

• Like 4