Menu

Did anyone get anything surprising (for an xmas gift)?

SparklyUnicorn

Dh and I weren't supposed to get each other anything this year since we purchased a new home just two months ago. But he gave me a Google Home. And I'm really loving it! I felt a bit bummed at first since I stuck to getting him nothing but he was so happy with giving it to me and being able to surprise me that I let it go.

• Like 3

My dh surprised me! Dh knows that the little trips we take to the OBX has this amazing calming ability for me. It's almost like a drug.

So, he selected a picture he had (a close-up of the water and sky with just a little sand showing as the wave breaks), and he had it blown up and printed (24x36). He then had it matted (in blue) and framed in a thin white frame. Then he built a custom frame to go around the whole thing using distressed wood and sections of wood that he painted then sanded. The whole thing is based off of a frame that we once saw and loved at a store (but was stupid expensive). It even has a couple old nails in it. It looks so authentic! I love it!

• Like 26

Dp got me an Apple Watch. I was speechless. As I told him, it was such a great gift experience for me. It was a total surprise, something I wanted, but never would have gotten myself, and his wrapping was great - he put it in a huge box, with weights, so I had no idea.

• Like 6

DH didn't go off-script this year (aka, the Amazon wish list), but my mom bought me a tshirt that says, "World's Okayest Homeschool Mom". It's hilarious.

And somewhat generous if you look at what we actually got done school-wise the week leading up to Christmas.

ETA and FTR: It's truly not a passive aggressive jab at my homeschooling, don't worry. My mom thinks I'm doing a great job teaching the kids and also understands my self-deprecating style of humor. I know the same gift from some people's mothers would be... not as funny.

Edited by BarbecueMom
  • Like 12

DH didn't go off-script this year (aka, the Amazon wish list), but my mom bought me a tshirt that says, "World's Okayest Homeschool Mom". It's hilarious.

And somewhat generous if you look at what we actually got done school-wise the week leading up to Christmas.

That is awesome. Love it

My dh surprised me! Dh knows that the little trips we take to the OBX has this amazing calming ability for me. It's almost like a drug.

So, he selected a picture he had (a close-up of the water and sky with just a little sand showing as the wave breaks), and he had it blown up and printed (24x36). He then had it matted (in blue) and framed in a thin white frame. Then he built a custom frame to go around the whole thing using distressed wood and sections of wood that he painted then sanded. The whole thing is based off of a frame that we once saw and loved at a store (but was stupid expensive). It even has a couple old nails in it. It looks so authentic! I love it!

Walking on the beach at OBX has been the most therapeutic thing Ive ever experienced. 

I love that your DH is so thoughtful. What a wonderful gift!

• Like 1

DH, who hates presents and spending money, bought me a brand new sectional AND Garth Brooks tickets.

Garth Brooks tickets, best gift ever!!

I am not a fan of country music, but I do like his "Friends in Low Places" song, lol. When he came close to us, I wanted to go w/ DH so badly! DH does like country music, but the family joke is that his wife Trisha Yearwood is my new best friend, lol. I like her show on the Food Network. I tell my family we have so much in common (we're about the same size and we both love food), and that if she knew me, we'd be friends. 

So I would go to see Garth b/c his wife sings w/ him too. Maybe the next time they're near us, we can go. Isn't he known for affordable ticket prices? 

• Like 2

After everything else was opened and I had received amazing gifts from my dh and my adult son, my daughter (20 yo) gave me her gift to open. I opened a travel guide. She knows how much I love travel, maps, etc. She was in London in October, so I assumed she got it for me there even though it was a guide for Brussels.

As I started flipping through it, something fell out. It was a print out from United Airlines with my name, her name, a date and the codes for Dulles airport and Brussels airport! My dd gave me a trip to Europe for Christmas! She and I will be flying to Brussels over her spring break for a week of exploring together!

I've never been to Europe. I cried so hard, nobody could understand a word I was saying. :lol: I still can't believe it! It feels like a dream.

My dd has been working her tail off in college to save for grad school. She has been working 2 and 3 jobs, competing in debate (for her scholarship), and getting amazing grades. She took her hard, hard earned money and bought us both plane tickets so that we could have an amazing adventure together.

I honestly don't think I have ever been that surprised in my entire life! :001_wub:

That is lovely! you raised her well!

Not nearly as special, but DH also got me a vacation to a beach somewhere. He wrapped up a beach towel and a photo of the beach we are staying with our stick figures drawn on it. Best of all, in-laws are coming *here* to watch my kids (I'm not keen on shipping them there for a week). I don't think they know how much back and forth there is for my DS's classes and both kids' afterschool stuff but I'm extremely grateful.

I gave DH...ski racks for his car. Which I didn't even wrap because I don't believe in that...I stopped competing with gifts long ago :)

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 6

I specifically told dh I wanted a black tote/purse, and then I spent weeks worried that he might get me one I wouldn't like.  While shopping with one of my dds, I came across one I loved, with a fantastic sale!  I was so tempted to buy it for myself, but I didn't want to mess things up if he actually did get me one.

Turns out, dd saw me loving it and sent him a picture when I wasn't looking.  Now it's mine! :-)

• Like 15

I got a special Christmas ornament -- two snowmen with the words "Greatest Grandpa and Grandma".  Yep. We are to be grandparents for the first time.

Another special one was a knock on the door and opening it to see my son! He said he was not coming home for Christmas this year. (He lives out of state)

• Like 33

My aspie boy (ok, he's 21 but he's my boy) got a card and had each of his siblings write something nice about me in it. I cried. He may not have interacted much the rest of the day but I know what's inside. â¤ï¸

Sounds like that was exactly what you needed right now. That's something to treasure.

This one was a surprise to dh. When we got home last night around 10 from being gone all day he found an envelope addressed to him. It was an anonymous letter expressing how much this family appreciates everything he does for the students at his work and acknowledging that it takes a lot of time away from his own family and they are grateful for his dedication to helping other peoples' children grow into amazing adults. It said a lot more too.

He was quite thankful for the note because he has been feeling a bit taken advantage of at work recently. For me, it was bittersweet. I'm glad someone recognized that he really goes above and beyond at work but it is also just a reminder that a lot of times I am bitter about how much he works.

• Like 6

We got a carbon monoxide detector from MIL because someone she knew died of carbon monoxide poisoning recently. Soo... that was a tad grim. She's an extremely practical person.

Grim, perhaps. But this means she really does CARE. The stories I've been reading about in-laws lately have made me shake my head in astoundment (is that a word?). Anyway, I'm glad yours care about you!

• Like 3

A chicken coop and run!!! Well, the coop I knew about, I bought it months ago and it has been sitting in the garage. But dh and the kids took this whole week to level and clean out the garden area and put in solid fencing. He built a little deck off the back basement door with a sitting area so we can hang out with the chickens. It was a ton of work, and absolutely spoke to my 'love language' which is acts of service. This meant a lot to me, since he is a gifts guy, and normally wouldn't understand how not having a gift to open would be ok lol. It turned out incredible and I can't wait to get chicks!!

• Like 11

A chicken coop and run!!! Well, the coop I knew about, I bought it months ago and it has been sitting in the garage. But dh and the kids took this whole week to level and clean out the garden area and put in solid fencing. He built a little deck off the back basement door with a sitting area so we can hang out with the chickens. It was a ton of work, and absolutely spoke to my 'love language' which is acts of service. This meant a lot to me, since he is a gifts guy, and normally wouldn't understand how not having a gift to open would be ok lol. It turned out incredible and I can't wait to get chicks!!

We surprised my mom with chickens...sort of.  :lol:  I had my dad sign the paperwork that dh and I filled out (we have to be permitted for chickens). Dh designed a coop and run after researching a hundred different designs!  So what she actually got so far is the permit and the coop design, but it was still a big surprise. Dh will start building soon. Mom is already planning which chickens she wants. We can have up to 6. I keep saying we because we live next door and will be helping her with the chickens. It will be a new adventure for all of us.

• Like 5

The big surprise in our house wasn't so much what dh got me (although I really like the great pajamas that aren't too hot or cold and don't have any places that bind up and they don't get twisted when I toss and turn in my sleep.)  We listen to this fun radio program every week and the taping isn't too far from us.  The tickets are wicked hard to get ... no scalping, they go on sale online each week at a certain time and are sold out within 5 minutes if not less.  I tried for 5 weeks straight and was finally able to snag those tickets.  Last week, when we were listening, he mentioned that he wondered how to get tickets.  Dd and I looked at each other, rolled our eyes and tried to hide our smirks.  Dh was totally surprised and thrilled. 

• Like 6

The big surprise in our house wasn't so much what dh got me (although I really like the great pajamas that aren't too hot or cold and don't have any places that bind up and they don't get twisted when I toss and turn in my sleep.)  We listen to this fun radio program every week and the taping isn't too far from us.  The tickets are wicked hard to get ... no scalping, they go on sale online each week at a certain time and are sold out within 5 minutes if not less.  I tried for 5 weeks straight and was finally able to snag those tickets.  Last week, when we were listening, he mentioned that he wondered how to get tickets.  Dd and I looked at each other, rolled our eyes and tried to hide our smirks.  Dh was totally surprised and thrilled. 

You are both so thoughtful. :)

We need a link to the pajamas, please. I said "please" but I do believe it is the law here.

• Like 1

After everything else was opened and I had received amazing gifts from my dh and my adult son, my daughter (20 yo) gave me her gift to open. I opened a travel guide. She knows how much I love travel, maps, etc. She was in London in October, so I assumed she got it for me there even though it was a guide for Brussels.

As I started flipping through it, something fell out. It was a print out from United Airlines with my name, her name, a date and the codes for Dulles airport and Brussels airport! My dd gave me a trip to Europe for Christmas! She and I will be flying to Brussels over her spring break for a week of exploring together!

I've never been to Europe. I cried so hard, nobody could understand a word I was saying. :lol: I still can't believe it! It feels like a dream.

My dd has been working her tail off in college to save for grad school. She has been working 2 and 3 jobs, competing in debate (for her scholarship), and getting amazing grades. She took her hard, hard earned money and bought us both plane tickets so that we could have an amazing adventure together.

I honestly don't think I have ever been that surprised in my entire life!  :001_wub:

I hope you have a wonderful trip!  I can well understand your surprise -- my daughter has been living and working in South Korea for several years since graduating from college.  For Father's Day, she gave my husband a ticket and an invitation to stay with her for ten days in June.  I don't think I've ever seen him so surprised.  He had a great time as did she.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

My very favorite: DH made me a laminated cheat sheet of the birds that come to our feeder. Yes, we have bird books but I can never remember which is which. So he made me a laminated card with all 22 species we see often. I am so excited!

That took a lot of work, as well as paying attention to what you were interested it! I am impressed. That is very sweet and nice, love it!

• Like 5