Menu

The downside of not hosting T-day is

school17777

I hosted and I have barely a bite of turkey left and a handful of stuffing. The nephews are growing and as nephew 2&3 were leaving for their 1 1/2 hour drive home they each had a slice of pumpkin pie in one hand and some rolls in the other. And this was after a couple hours earlier they each had heaping plates of dinner. They're 15 & 17. And not the only teenage boys in the family.

Not having leftovers! Particularlly turkey.

me hosting never stopped my sil from asking to take stuff home with her.

Forget the turkey I wanted leftover pie for breakfast. :(

tradition!

I hosted and I have barely a bite of turkey left and a handful of stuffing. The nephews are growing and as nephew 2&3 were leaving for their 1 1/2 hour drive home they each had a slice of pumpkin pie in one hand and some rolls in the other. And this was after a couple hours earlier they each had heaping plates of dinner. They're 15 & 17. And not the only teenage boys in the family.

I've had years we had no turkey left.

eta: there was one year - the mashed potatoes only made it half-way around the table before they were gone.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

We missed the stuffing and potato casserole we usually have. Small price to pay however for not having to deal with cooking and cleaning on a gimpy leg. I can always make it for Christmas!

One reason we stopped having others for Thansgiving was that they came, they ate, and they left. The 24-lb. turkey would be gone and those who brought sides would take them with them, meaning the cooking task would continue even after the huge effort to prepare the meal and house. On top of that, our guests expected us to adjust our meal schedule to accommodate what they had planned, including moving the meal to a different day. At some point, we just decided to say "No!"

This year, we only invited the grandmothers and MomsintheGarden prepared a fabulous meal. The cooking was a bit more work since she made a couple extra sides, but getting the house ready was MUCH simpler. We have amazing leftovers now along with turkey soup!

• Like 4

One reason we stopped having others for Thansgiving was that they came, they ate, and they left. The 24-lb. turkey would be gone and those who brought sides would take them with them, meaning the cooking task would continue even after the huge effort to prepare the meal and house. On top of that, our guests expected us to adjust our meal schedule to accommodate what they had planned, including moving the meal to a different day. At some point, we just decided to say "No!"

This year, we only invited the grandmothers and MomsintheGarden prepared a fabulous meal. The cooking was a bit more work since she made a couple extra sides, but getting the house ready was MUCH simpler. We have amazing leftovers now along with turkey soup!

You are too nice. I don't do Thanksgiving, but I do host a brunch on Christmas, and I'm mean. If you want to see us, you will come during the time I have brunch food out. I will not move the time to accommodate, so if you can't, sorry, I hope we see you soon!

• Like 2

My brother brought his family of four and just two pumpkin pies to contribute while I cooked the full meal (ham, turkey, stuffing, potatoes, corn casserole, homemade bread and rolls, etc).

When they were leaving he grabbed the half a pumpkin pie left of what he brought to take back with him and asked his wife if she had packed up their leftovers. She awkwardly said "I guess there aren't any for us to take". I didn't offer leftovers. I am feeling very mean but I put alot into that meal and I have a family to feed today too.

I alternate between guilt I didn't give him the leftovers and annoyance he didn't leave the leftover pie!

• Like 2

You are too nice. I don't do Thanksgiving, but I do host a brunch on Christmas, and I'm mean. If you want to see us, you will come during the time I have brunch food out. I will not move the time to accommodate, so if you can't, sorry, I hope we see you soon!

That's kinda what we did this year. Two of our sons weren't here for dinner yesterday as a result. Everyone else simply weren't invited.

My mom cooks the whole meal.  On one hand, that is lovely and sweet (and for her part, she gets to serve exactly what she likes, in exactly the amounts she likes), but no leftovers for us.  This year, she did let me bring pies, but she insisted that I take them home with me (not much; there were 6 slices left, and because we eat at noon, my kids were more than happy to devour them before bed).

I make an entire turkey dinner on Saturday.  Every.single.year.  Tomorrow, we'll have turkey, dressing, 4 casseroles, 2 desserts...the whole nine yards...for the 6 of us.  I love eating on it for a few days.  The leftovers are the best part!

• Like 1

And see, I am thinking of still inviting all the same people, but just doing all the cooking myself. The meal coordination is the biggest chore! Plus, leftovers, yum.

• Like 1

My brother brought his family of four and just two pumpkin pies to contribute while I cooked the full meal (ham, turkey, stuffing, potatoes, corn casserole, homemade bread and rolls, etc).

When they were leaving he grabbed the half a pumpkin pie left of what he brought to take back with him and asked his wife if she had packed up their leftovers. She awkwardly said "I guess there aren't any for us to take". I didn't offer leftovers. I am feeling very mean but I put alot into that meal and I have a family to feed today too.

I alternate between guilt I didn't give him the leftovers and annoyance he didn't leave the leftover pie!

If you host again next year or for another holiday, ask them to bring more of the food. "This year, in addition to pies, could you bring the potatoes and a vegetable?"

• Like 1

I called my mom today and asked her if I could have some of the leftover Pink Salad and cranberry sauce I was craving. Luckily she is 5 minutes away and likes to feed people.  :)

Now I feel guilty for not leaving my tiny contribution to the meal there for her and my dad.  :o I'll save some for her.

Yes!  One of my sons poured himself two bowls of cereal after our holiday dinner!  He eats so much - it actually makes me nervous sometimes.  And then he had plenty of dessert later.  And this kid is always trying to gain weight.

I wish we didn't have leftovers because I have no willpower.  I am sending a bunch of food home with my sons when they go back home/to school.

• Like 1

Normally my mom sends us leftovers but since my oldest 3 were spending the night to help her with some projects, we decided she should keep them all so she'd have stuff to feed them.  So I went to Costco this morning since I know they take $10 off any turkeys the day after Thanksgiving and the day after Christmas.  I scored 4 turkeys that worked out to a cost of 39 cents a pound.  One is now in the oven and we will have turkey for supper.  I do have yesterday's carcass so that with today's carcass will makes some really good soup on Monday.

• Like 1

Forget the turkey I wanted leftover pie for breakfast. :(

:iagree:  :iagree:

Ha! I volunteered to make the pies for this exact reason. 

I did get the turkey carcass, because none of my IL's will take the time to make homemade stock. I miss the dressing and the gravy. 

And see, I am thinking of still inviting all the same people, but just doing all the cooking myself. The meal coordination is the biggest chore! Plus, leftovers, yum.

Yes, when I host, I only ask others to bring sides I don't care about having leftover. Veggie or potatoes or salad, ho hum. Keep off my dressing and pie! If other people bring the appetizers, wine and a few sides, I am ok to do the rest.

Edited by ScoutTN

Stop feeling guilty!  :toetap05:

Yes!  One of my sons poured himself two bowls of cereal after our holiday dinner!  He eats so much - it actually makes me nervous sometimes.  And then he had plenty of dessert later.  And this kid is always trying to gain weight.

I wish we didn't have leftovers because I have no willpower.  I am sending a bunch of food home with my sons when they go back home/to school.

is he 15?  he will eventually start gaining weight and need to stop eating like that.

is he 15?  he will eventually start gaining weight and need to stop eating like that.

No, he's 22 and was born with a huge appetite and a fast metabolism.  My DH is built the same way and people always told him he'd start gaining, but he never did (although he never ate as much as this particular son).  It is unbelievable how much this kid eats.  

Edited by Erica H

My dh will cook a small turkey if we aren't eating at home, just to have it.

I've done that a few times since dss started hosting several years ago. He's always sent us home with leftovers, but I still made a mini Thanksgiving meal for us one day over the long weekend. That wayI had a carcass for broth and soup.

I completely understand. 

Every Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter goes the same way. My mom and I make everything. My brother and sil bring and do nothing. This year they have a 1.5 yr old baby but when I had one I made the same stuff I do today. Plus, the 6 yrs they didnt have a child they still did nothing.

Yesterday, my dh took a table and 4 chairs and cloth to my mom's for table to set up. I made sweet potato casserole, corn pudding, cranberry sauce, green beans, cheesecake, and pumpkin spice dump cake. My mom made turkey, ham, deviled eggs, stuffing, baked beans and heated up rolls, pumpkin pie and pecan pie. I had suggested that db and sil could at least get 2 jugs of tea from Chickfila on Wed to bring for Thursday. But guess what. My mom calls me Wed afternoon and asks if I can have dh pick up the tea on the way home because nephew has a rash and she doesn't want to make them worry about getting tea. So we got it and after the meal, I help clean up with mom while they sit in the living room.  :huh: Sigh. 

My brother (7 yrs younger than me) worked really hard his whole life to foster a demeanor of incompetence and boy did it stick. He even managed to extend it to his wife by-proxy. My mom won't ask them to do anything.The scary thing is that he is in law enforcement and carries a gun around all day. He is quite capable.   :rant:   Sorry about that... :blushing:

ETA: I think my mom is stuck in the whole older daughter/baby brother mindset. Plus, she tries to "make up" for the fact that dh and I do a ton of stuff for her. She paid for the tea he picked up and I use her car routinely etc. It just get to me sometimes...ya know?

Edited by jewellsmommy
  • Like 1

Which is exactly why we did a second Thanksgiving yesterday at our house. ;)

This is what we do when we don't host. We love our TG meal. This year it was just our immediate family. We made a dessert, and two sides the night before. Got up Thursday and cooked the bird and two more sides. We have just enough leftovers to make life easy for me through the weekend. So happy!

We send people home with plates piled high with as much as people want to take home with them. :)

ETA: My sister and I do the entire meal. My brothers are single and usually give us money to help cover it. They will bring stuff like ice, or wine, or something, if we ask and it isn't too complicated. ;) They thank us profusely and appreciate all our hard work.

Edited by Mimm
  • Like 1

Dss and ddil hosted, and we got sent home with just the right amount of leftovers. The only thing I miss is the turkey carcass for soup.

LOL. We didn't make a turkey this year, but I cornered a friend and had her promise to bring her carcass over! Gonna use it to make the stock to go in my gumbo, that and all my chicken and duck carcasses I have stashed from the past year.

• Like 1

If you host again next year or for another holiday, ask them to bring more of the food. "This year, in addition to pies, could you bring the potatoes and a vegetable?"

Ddil (they hosted) set up an online sign up system this year. She used signupgenius.com but there are others. She listed all the items our family might want, signed up for what they would provide, and sent an email to everyone who was coming with the link to sign up. When creating the list, she also left it so that you could add something that wasn't on the list but that you wanted to bring. 

I think online sign ups are a great way to get everyone to bring something. It takes some of the stress off the host family, prevents duplicates, and leaves no room for doubt that everyone is expected to contribute and not arrive empty handed.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 3

We had Thanksgiving in a cabin in a state park.  I took only the most important foods, and planned it for no leftovers.  Turkey legs roast quickly and while the bones would have been good for broth, I didn't save them.  I do wish I had bought a whole turkey to roast on some random day for the leftovers.  No turkey sandwich for me this year!   (Deli turkey doesn't even come close to being right.)  Even worse, no turkey rice soup!  

Ddil (they hosted) set up an online sign up system this year. She used signupgenius.com but there are others. She listed all the items our family might want, signed up for what they would provide, and sent an email to everyone who was coming with the link to sign up. When creating the list, she also left it so that you could add something that wasn't on the list but that you wanted to bring.

I think online sign ups are a great way to get everyone to bring something. It takes some of the stress off the host family, prevents duplicates, and leaves no room for doubt that everyone is expected to contribute and not arrive empty handed.

I would agree 100%, IF all of our participants were cyber literate. We have some holdouts! But it probably wouldn't be hard for me to just make a couple of phone calls and fill in grid space on their behalf.

• Like 1

I would agree 100%, IF all of our participants were cyber literate. We have some holdouts! But it probably wouldn't be hard for me to just make a couple of phone calls and fill in grid space on their behalf.

I love that type of organization. The issue in my family isn't lack of organization but lack of willingness to contribute. It is a special snowflake kind of problem!