Menu

Would you go to a trunk or treat at a church you didn't go to?

Jennifer132

It would be fine with the church, I'm sure.

Personally I'm not a trunk-or-treat fan.  To me it seems like they are sending a message that traditional trick-or-treat is bad.  Of course if you live in a place where regular trick-or-treat doesn't happen (too rural or whatever), then yeah.  Better than nothing.  :)

• Like 1

Yes, our church does Trunk or Treat and it's intended to be community outreach. We have inflatables, hot dog lunch, crafts, games, and the trunk or treat free for anyone who shows up. People who don't attend church are welcome and expected to attend trunk or treat! There's no pressure to ever attend the church. It's intended as a way to show love and have fun with people in the community.

At our church, it's not any kind of statement about regular trick or treat, but a time to do a community event. Ours is held at a time when none of the local communities are having trick or treat and the majority of the people who come probably do regular trick or treat too.

• Like 1

Yes, I have gone. I have been invited, when I have gone, but honestly sometimes it is more fun when there is a bigger turnout and they like to have kids come out and have fun!

The church where I have gone does a lot but doesn't have a huge number of kids. So they like to have kids come.

That is my strong impression.

Just be prepared to answer questions from your kids as to why you're not going to such a "fun" church. That happened last night at the town Trunk-or-Treat, which had a heavy presence from one of those "hipster" churches (you know, the ones that have a nightclub-sounding name, the pastor wears skinny jeans and a goatee, etc., etc.) I really didn't want to get into a theological discussion about why we're the denomination we are and why our denomination values Tradition over popular appeal.

This is good to know! We haven't ever gone to one as our Church doesn't do one (we do a fall festival that is for the community a few weeks before, but this year it got canceled for the hurricane. And today there is a costume party for the kids in Sunday School but my daughter has aged out - older kids do their classes on a weeknight) and I've wondered. 

Edited by ktgrok

Just wondering what a trunk or treat is.  Do people stand by their trunks with candy?

Yes.  They are usually held in church or community center parking lots.  Some people decorate their car  in a theme.  

Edited by lynn
  • Like 1

It would be fine with the church, I'm sure.

Personally I'm not a trunk-or-treat fan.  To me it seems like they are sending a message that traditional trick-or-treat is bad.  Of course if you live in a place where regular trick-or-treat doesn't happen (too rural or whatever), then yeah.  Better than nothing.  :)

This isn't my thought at all. I have been to secular truck or treats and the thought was that a small area, where the kids can go trunk to trunk instead of walking the entire neighborhood, particularly for small kids, is better.

And while the kids are TOTing you can visit with moms in the center and still see your kids.

I liked them when my kids were little.

I don't partipate now that my kids are older.

• Like 1

Here trunk-or-treat is an extra and doesn't compete with Halloween.

There are separate "family fun nights" that are more of a replacement possibility (held the same night).

I have been to a family fun night, and it was just a fun night. There were not a lot of people standing around talking about how horrible Halloween is.

I think this can depend on age of kids.

I would say they are aimed towards younger kids here who may not pick up on a lot of subtleties as long as they got to do something fun.

But trunk-or-treats are Halloween themed, with traditional Halloween decorations included. (That I have been to.)

I have been to a secular trunk or treat at my husband's work, too. It was a lot of fun.

Much less clean-up compared to "trick or treat through the building" that has also been done.

Compared to "trick or treat through the building" it is also much easier to keep an eye on multiple kids, and much easier to go around a slow toddler or move to a less crowded area.

I was skeptical at first but I thought it worked out a lot better than the previous "trick or treat through the building."

Edited by Lecka

This isn't my thought at all. I have been to secular truck or treats and the thought was that a small area, where the kids can go trunk to trunk instead of walking the entire neighborhood, particularly for small kids, is better.

And while the kids are TOTing you can visit with moms in the center and still see your kids.

I liked them when my kids were little.

I don't partipate now that my kids are older.

Just wanted to clarify, I didn't mean those churches are against Halloween for religious reasons.  But Trick or Trunk was originally started as an alternative to "dangerous" trick-or-treating in the neighborhood.  This bugs me because I don't think trick-or-treat is dangerous, I think it's a great time for young kids to have a positive interaction with their neighbors.

So I opt out of Trick-or-Trunk because I don't believe in supporting ideas that are IMO pro-fear and anti-community.

I can see how they could be a nice social opportunity in its own right, but I still boycott them because I feel they send the wrong message.  Besides, the last thing my kids need is more candy.  :P

Most of the churches here do them a different night than halloween, with lots of decorations, etc. I think the only reason we haven't tried one is 1. I wasn't sure if outsiders were welcome, now I know they are, and 2. we get SO much candy on Halloween the idea of extra is scary!

Absolutely.  That is the purpose for such events.

My DH, DD and I are part of an event each Halloween called "Big Top Bash".  It's held at our church as a safe alternative to Trick or Treating. Specifically, we're part of the puppet ministry. Towards the end of the evening, we perform a black-light puppet show which illustrates the Gospel to about 400-800 kids (this is always the highlight of the evening). This is not counting the adults who accompany them.  We know the numbers because each of the kids registers to enter our doors so their names can be placed in several prize drawings.

At the very end of the evening, we release about 500 balloons for the kids to pop to see if they get a notification inside the balloon to win one of the big prizes of the night.  You should hear the roar of those popping balloons.

One thing's for sure, we never have to advertise this event!

• Like 1

Our church has one and it is not because we don't like trick or treating.  It is a fun activity for kids in our church and this year we got about 100 kids from the community too.  We have regular Wednesday night activities in our church.  We have our Trunk or Treat at the time we usually have these activities and this year we included dinner too,   Our church is very community oriented and not at all anti Halloween.  We just try to make church an inviting place for everyone.  (And Crimson Wife we are not the 'cool' church with the hipster pastor with shaky theological beliefs)  

So I would say, yes, go.  You are welcome at their events.

Yes, and I intend to this year.  I haven't done it before, but we usually go to a relatives house for family gathering and then trick or treating.  This year that can't take place, so we are taking our little guy to the church around the corner and we are not members and never intend to be members.  

We don't get that much candy on Halloween night that I avoid other things.

We are not doing much this year though.

In past years when I have expected my little kids to last 30 min. tops on Halloween night I have gone to 3-4 other events and not felt overwhelmed.

This year my little kids are a bit older and we have done 2 things and I think we will be out over an hour tomorrow.

It is a fun time of year for us.

I like seeing people at things.

We go to a harvest party yearly at a church we don't attend. This kids have a great time! The church put a lot of time (and money) into the party. Our neighbors who aren't religious go too. It's inside though. It's cold here late October, and we've had snow before. I've never heard of a trunk or treat before this thread, but on the radio today, heard one advertised on the Christian radio station. 

Just be prepared to answer questions from your kids as to why you're not going to such a "fun" church. That happened last night at the town Trunk-or-Treat, which had a heavy presence from one of those "hipster" churches (you know, the ones that have a nightclub-sounding name, the pastor wears skinny jeans and a goatee, etc., etc.) I really didn't want to get into a theological discussion about why we're the denomination we are and why our denomination values Tradition over popular appeal.

Crimson Wife, this is for you: Church Planting Teams Running Out of Edgy Names

(I personally do like Trunk or Treats.)

• Like 1