Menu

Curious: when was the last time YOU had a vaccine / booster shot ...

SKL

when we started ttc, we were advised both to get Hep B, so we did that. We were both given the DPT (that is diptheria/pertussis (whooping cough)/tetanus) for free when I fell pregnant (it was free at the time for parents and grandparents of newborns, not sure if that has changed). I then got the chicken pox booster after blood tests showed I might not be immune (even though I'd had it before) I think I had to pay for that, can't remember. I get the flu shot free every year as I'm an asthmatic. Before that, my last shots had been before travelling to do aid work, so early 20s. This is Australia - none of the shots too expensive.

a few years ago when my tetanus required a booster. As a hiker and rock climber, I would be dumb to let that expire.

And 12 years ago a whole huge batch because immigration. Visitors can spread all manner of disease, but if you want to have a work permit, you need to have all kinds of vaccinations and health checks.Makes no sense, but you jump through whatever hoop they make you.

Yes. I had to get all sorts of vaccines as part of the immigration process too. The only one we were allowed to skip was the tetanus shot because there was a nationwide shortage at the time.

I was due for a tetanus booster this year, so I got the dtap and the flu vaccines earlier this month.

a few years ago when my tetanus required a booster. As a hiker and rock climber, I would be dumb to let that expire.

And 12 years ago a whole huge batch because immigration. Visitors can spread all manner of disease, but if you want to have a work permit, you need to have all kinds of vaccinations and health checks.Makes no sense, but you jump through whatever hoop they make you.

Yeah like colleges.  If you are part time, no vaccines required.  If full time, vaccines.  They'll kick you out if you don't get them!  I guess part timers don't spread disease. 

• Like 2

Tdap when pregnant with my 2yo. Before that was when I started at university. I did an associates degree at a community college first and didn't need any, but when I went on to the university for the bachelors, I had to get a couple that weren't part of my childhood series.

I didn't have to get any 12 years ago for immigration because mine were still up to date at that point. But they did want chest x-rays for TB, because they didn't think the Mantoux test I'd had a year earlier proved anything. And, at the time (and quite probably still), NL had lower TB incidence rates than the US. But, I was an immigrant, so chest x-ray for TB it was. And then when I wanted to enroll in college a few months later, they didn't think the x-ray proved anything, and the previous Mantoux was too old or something, so I had to do the Mantoux again - it was crazy. The good news is that each of the 5(!) TB tests I've had from 17-23yo was negative.

What is weird is I only fairly recently read about getting boosters.  No doctor as an adult has mentioned it and I have gone for some physicals and stuff.  I don't quite know why they don't mention it.

I knew about getting a tetanus shot every 10 years but none of my OB's/midwives (I had different ones for each kid) ever told me to get a pertussis booster. I only got it in 2015 because it was required for school.

I'm surprised at all these posters saying they got a pertussis booster with each pregnancy.

• Like 1

Tetnuss (or however it is spelled) 8 years ago (my oldest was a few months old). 

Before that I had to get an MMR when I started college in 1998. 

I ALMOST got a chicken pox/shingles vaccine about 4 years ago before I got pregnant with my youngest. However I had a routine oncologist appointment and in passing (totally didn't think she would have an issue with this) I told her I was going to get this vaccine. She told me not to and that they were doing clinical trials to figure out why people with a history of Lymphoma were dying from the vaccine! Needless to say, I now ask her before I do ANYTHING health wise that I haven't asked her before on. 

I had a Tdap when my daughter got pregnant. I totally regret that now that I've read all the FDA studies about how you can transmit pertussis without having symptoms. I did it to protect my young grandbabies and I've actually put them more at risk because I could give them pertussis without even having a symptom (at least if I have symptoms of illness, I can stay away from them). It makes me so angry at myself because I research EVERYTHING, but didn't research this fully before I did it. Thank goodness we had researched enough that neither of my dds had it during pregnancy or after birth.

I'll never have another vaccine.

I knew about getting a tetanus shot every 10 years but none of my OB's/midwives (I had different ones for each kid) ever told me to get a pertussis booster. I only got it in 2015 because it was required for school.

I'm surprised at all these posters saying they got a pertussis booster with each pregnancy.

I was surprised, too, considering that I have had 3 other kids in the last 7 years and had never heard of it before. But, it was asked this time and I said yes.

Some time in high school, so I think 1998 or 1999? And it was either MMR or DT. Triggered the start of my auto-immune issues IMO. I was past due for MMR and they caught me up too fast - I think I had the series of 3 shots in about 3 weeks so I could go back to public school from homeschool. 

I stopped all vaccines for myself in college after realizing I had severe auto-immune issues.