Menu

How much for braces?

MEmama

I got two quotes. They were off from each other by $3K. The cheaper one came across as more competent and we are very happy with her. She sees my daughter less frequently than the other would (no rubber bands to match the season), but she is very clear and good at what she does.

Shop around.

Emily

My son did a phase I with a new office and that round was 3k.  I knew it was a deal being a new office.  However, the guy had been in another city with good reviews.  AND we had lots of slots we liked for visit times.  Insurance paid $1500 toward this, so we only paid $1500.  

Here we had a first quote of 7k.  I went down the road less than 10 miles into a 'lower income town' and it is $5982 per kid but we get 10% off 2nd kid.  After insurance pays their $1500 we pay about $4500 first kid, $3900.  

I have found most dental insurance won't pay if another company has been paying.  however, they aren't all consistent with this.  DS changed insurance this round and the new insurance is paying the full $1500 and the old one had paid almost $400 already.  I also did some math and found the dental plan that pays $1500 max is better than the $2k max b/c the premium for the higher amount was greater than the benefit.  So consider all your options.  And like I said, don't just get a 2nd opinion...consider checking out places that aren't too far that are considered a lower income area.  In my case, it's less than 5 miles from my house but it was $1500 cheaper than the place we could walk to.  And you only go every 6-8 weeks...so farther away to save $$$ might be worth it.  

12 years ago: $6,500.

DS hasn't been evaluated yet, but we've been advised it will be about the same as VT, which was $8K before the cash discount which got it down to the $6,500 range. We don't have cash for braces, so I'm hoping they meant the $6,500 range again and not $8K.

Does anyone have ins that covers any of it? Or is that a pipe dream?

5500 includes all visits, all X-rays, one mouth guard, retainer (and one more if first one is accidentally broken/lost) tooth paste, tooth brush, floss, chap stick, all follow up visits for a year or two after the braces are off

Quoted around $6,000 at two local Ortho's. Ended up paying less than $3,000 at the Dental College which is down the street. Braces were just removed last month after 18 months and we are very happy with the results. They wanted dd to have jaw surgery at first but we refused due to other health issues and fear of complications. We ended up achieving very good results just using rubber bands to move her lower teeth forward. Results were so good that the student is using her case for her board reviews.

We have had 3 in braces.  The older two were between $4000 and $5000 between 6-10 years ago.  Dd got hers on a year ago and hers are around $5500 with the family discount.  It will depend on the complexity of the case among other things.  I think there are orthodontists who would have done dd's case for less, but they use older techniques that may not have had as good results (slight kant, plus overbite and lower teeth tipping.) 

DS 1-$4000

DS 2-$4000 ETA- $1500 for Phase 1 expander

DS- 3 - I'm waiting on the official number, but I think it will be the same.

Our orthodontist does $1000 and then monthly payments with no interest to him, or a 5% discount for cash. (I'm assuming he does a similar plan for everyone.) He is a great orthodontist!

Edited by Jan in SC

Child #1  Two phases + surgery to remove stubborn baby teeth, 4 years total to correct severe problems, ages 11-15 = $5800 (insurance paid $0)

Child #2  Invisalign for 2 years (14-16) = $6000 (insurance paid $0)

Child #3  Damon Braces (not clear) almost 2 years now = $5500 (insurance paid $1000)

This all seems to be the standard around here.  Our Ortho is the office with all the bells & whistles but more important than that he is excellent with my sensory child.  The always have the appointment times we need.  When Child #1 was bouncing on the trampoline and fell and scraped the brackets off her bottom teeth with her top teeth they saw her right away with no charge because "accidents happen."  He was our second consult with child #1.  Our first consult spent the entire time telling us that our daughter's teeth were the worst he had ever seen and we were looking at multiple expensive surgeries to correct her jaw, etc, etc.  The one we went with told us it was no big deal and it would be fine; and it was :)  

Child #4 is on deck for braces soon.

Amber in SJ

In Santa Fe, New Mexico (generally On the expensive side for most things), I was just quoted $4800 for my DS and $4200 for myself. That is before insurance and after the family discount. Also, he gives a 5% discount for paying all upfront, or he does payment plans at no extra cost.