Menu

Are you growing any food this year? Full size garden or just a planter on the porch?

Tap

I found termites in my raised garden when I went to plant my seedlings. I need to treat the wood so I couldn't plant there this year.I had to save the plants, so I put all of the garden soil in to extra pots I have, and put the seedlings those instead.

I am growing

Zucchini

Yellow crook neck squash

Broccoli

Cauliflower

Snap peas (not doing great in the pots but we have got a few so far)

Lots of lettuce (it is doing so well in the pots, I think they may the new home for it. (more shade)

Cabbage

3 varieties of tomatoes

A pepper that isn't doing good, so I may compost it. It hasn't really grown in a full month and it looks a bit weak.

2 cucumbers that didn't like the pot either, shriveled and died. (soil may have been too rich for it)

We finally harvested lettuce last week, a few sugar snap peas, and I think there is a small grape tomato that may be ready. LOL    Not bountiful yet, but a good start on summer snacks.

• Like 4

We have a full size garden and fruit trees and brambles.  We're growing:

cherries

strawberries

black &  red raspberries

apples

lettuce--already done, just feeding the stalks to the ducks and chickens now

potatoes

sweet potatoes

peppers

tomatoes

squash

we may grow pumpkins for the chickens since they love them so much.

• Like 1

Full size garden, but just us empty nesters home most of the time now, so we've cut back some on what we plant.

We had:

Broccoli

Spinach 

both are done for the season now.

We have:

Green peas

Potatoes

Lima beans

Yellow Squash

Zucchini

Butternut Squash

Green Peppers

Cherry Tomatoes

Roma Tomatoes

regular Tomatoes

Cucumbers

Cauliflower (also almost done)

Kale

Okra

Beets

and a special variety of tall corn that my FIL wanted us to try.  Generally corn doesn't do well with us as we garden organically.

Outside of our garden we have:

Mulberries

Blackberries

Black Raspberries

Grapes, both seeded and seedless

Pears

Apples

and we just planted a Cherry tree.

It's enough variety for us, although I plan to put in another Cherry tree or two probably.

We also have chickens, a stocked fish(ing) pond with Bass and Silver (and Bluegills) in it, and plenty of deer all around, though technically, those aren't ours.  We still eat them.  

Edited by creekland
  • Like 1

Our community garden plot has zucchini, yellow squash, cukes, snow peas, marigolds, basil, tomatoes, spinach, and lettuce. In containers we have (or will have when I transplant seedlings): kale, chard, snap peas, dill, rosemary, more tomatoes, peppers, pak choi, and more spinach.

I'll start seedlings for the fall on August 1st or maybe late July (peas, chard, kale, spinach, lettuce, chives).

Full-sized garden, plus odds and ends in the flower bed.

Tomatoes

Peppers, sweet and hot

Onions and leeks

Greens (chard, kale, spinach, trying collards but the snails LOVED them)

Snap peas are almost done and about to be replaced by....something

Carrots

Potatoes

Squash and pumpkins

Tomatillos

Zucchini

Cucumbers

Beans for drying

We also have herbs (chives, oregano, thyme, mint), fruit trees (sour cherry, apple, pear, fig), raspberries, and blueberries. :) Off to pick the sour cherries now, as a matter of fact.

• Like 1

My garden is half the size it was when all my girls were home.  I keep thinking I'll just have a few tomatoes and cukes, and before I know it, it has tripled.  We enjoy gardening, eating the fresh produce, and it is cheap therapy for my dh.  His heaven is working outside.

tomato plants (18 I think)

hot and sweet peppers (20+)

4 cucumbers

2 watermelon

2 cantaloupe

potatoes

beets

carrots

radishes

lettuces

spinach

green beans

peas

No squash this year.

Thankfully I know people who love to get fresh produce.  It's enjoyable for us, healthy, and relatively cheap.

• Like 3

I have no idea what varieties any of these are:

cucumbers

onions 

tomatoes

bell peppers 

banana peppers

jalapeno peppers

The garden is around 400 sq. ft.  

Also chickens; a new addition this year.  

hoop coop about 64 sq. ft. for 8 chickens

I usually have middling success with my plants; I'm just hoping all the chooks stay alive for a year or so.

• Like 1

Raised bed and container gardening:

Cabbage

Broccoli

Pac Choi

Beets (3 varieties)

Carrots

Bush green beans

Swiss chard

Bell peppers

Slicing (including lemon) and picking cukes

Lettuce

Tomatoes (cherry and reg.)

Corn (bicolor and yellow)

Eggplant

Stevia

Strawberries

Zucchini

Crookneck

Various tomatoes

Tons of peppers

Broccoli

Cauliflower

Watermelon

Potatoes

Yellow squash

Onions (heirloom family ones almost 75 yrs!)

Strawberries

I'm sure there's more...can't keep up with the stuff dh and kids have planted.

I've got tomatoes and cucumbers and bell peppers. We have a few fruit trees in the backyard. One is a fruit salad tree (a branch of peach, a branch of plum and a branch or nectarine) and one is a peach tree. We've been enjoying the plums right now. And we have 3 varieties of grapes. Two have been in production for a couple of years and one we just planted, so it'll be a couple of years till we get fruit. I also have some herbs. And we had a small crop of boysenberries this year. All that in a smallish suburban backyard. :)

My actual garden is pretty small (96 sq ft) but I have 24 tomato plants in there.  We have pretty crummy soil so my plants never get huge otherwise they'd be too crowded in that little space.  I have another 7 tomatoes planted in what used to be a flower bed on the side of the house and 3 more growing in pots on the deck (for a total of 34 plants). 

I have one pot of 3 peppers that I wintered over in the house and then another 9 I planted in pots that sit in various places outsides.

I have two storage totes growing a total of 6 cucumber plants.  I really wanted to grow Munchers (the little cucumbers you find in the store) but we sold all the plants before I realized it so I planted half regular cucumbers and half english style cucumbers.

I have various pots with cilantro, basil, parsley, dill and kale.

I also have a cherry tree (but still too young for cherries), red and black raspberries, honeyberries and will be planting blueberries today.

I also have sage and mint that come back every year but I've never actually used either of them in anything.

Edited by cjzimmer1

I forgot that youngest started a bunch of herbs for me too.  These are all in buckets outside our house.  I used to call the buckets "pots," but youngest laughs at me when I do that now telling me a "pot garden" has a whole different meaning to him as a college student (and most people if I continued that terminology).

Assuming they grow, I will have to learn how to cook with fresh herbs rather than dried.  Is there an easy way to go between the two by any chance?  (eg 1 teaspoon of dried Thyme = ___ fresh?)

Our garden itself (mentioned in Post 4) is 40' x 40', but I wanted the herbs (assuming they grow) closer to the house and able to be picked when I want them without getting my boots on.  We grow spinach the same way - lettuce too back when we grew lettuce.

I finally took a small part of my garden and turned it into an area for vegetables. I have tomatoes, broccoli romanesco, zucchini, thai basil, sweet basil, bush basil and cilantro. Some cilantro I am growing from seeds I got from the Indian food store. The coriander seeds they sell for spice grinding, the stuff tastes great, germinates at a monstrous rate and is super cheap, $3 for a giant bag of seeds. I cook tons of Mexican and Asian, so I need lots of cilantro. It's hard to know whether I will really have enough sun in this area, if it doesn't work it will become another flower bed. I've also used half this bed to house dahlias. I split some of my tuber clumps this year. Mostly I grow flowers, really wish I had more full sun

Okay, totally feel like a slacker now because all I have is 8 tomato plants and some onions, but I had to chime in because I am so happy to have picked my first ripe tomato. (Insert happy dance here!)

My dh and son are still at scout camp so I didn't have to share. Hehe

• Like 4

I'm growing a full size garden complete with 75 corn, 24 tomato plants, row of potatoes, tons of beans, rows of kale, Swiss chard, spinach, cucumber, onions, zucchini, sweet potato, watermelon, cantalope,carrots, lettuce, peas, bell peppers, eggplant, 4 large artichokes and raised bed of asparagus and herbs. I also have 13 mature blueberry bushes, several grapes on trellises, 50+ strawberry plants and several rows of marionberry and raspberry. I love to garden...I also have a huge area of flowers.

• Like 2

My actual garden is pretty small (96 sq ft) but I have 24 tomato plants in there. We have pretty crummy soil so my plants never get huge otherwise they'd be too crowded in that little space. I have another 7 tomatoes planted in what used to be a flower bed on the side of the house and 3 more growing in pots on the deck (for a total of 34 plants).

I have one pot of 3 peppers that I wintered over in the house and then another 9 I planted in pots that sit in various places outsides.

I have two storage totes growing a total of 6 cucumber plants. I really wanted to grow Munchers (the little cucumbers you find in the store) but we sold all the plants before I realized it so I planted half regular cucumbers and half english style cucumbers.

I have various pots with cilantro, basil, parsley, dill and kale.

I also have a cherry tree (but still too young for cherries), red and black raspberries, honeyberries and will be planting blueberries today.

I also have sage and mint that come back every year but I've never actually used either of them in anything.

Do you like the honeyberries?

Okay, totally feel like a slacker now because all I have is 8 tomato plants and some onions, but I had to chime in because I am so happy to have picked my first ripe tomato. (Insert happy dance here!)

My dh and son are still at scout camp so I didn't have to share. Hehe

We've been picking cherry tomatoes sporadically for the last couple of weeks but today I harvested the first 2 cucumbers.  It was so tempting to slice them up for lunch and let the kids think they were the store ones that were in the fridge.  But I didn't and when I put them out on the plate them inhaled them and I only got 3 slices.  I think the next cucumber will be all mine.

Chickens here as well. I got 6 female chicks 6 weeks ago, so we should end up starting to get eggs somewhere between September and Christmas lol. 

And I'm trying potatoes in tires. Picked up a bunch of tires to use as planters in the bulk pickup last time. I scrubbed them with dish soap to remove any grease, then planted my seed potatoes in them. Every time I need to cover the plants again I just add another tire. 

Peaches and mulberries are already done for the year here. We have okra and sweet potatoes in the garden, which are about all that will stand the heat. Oh, and a new variety of tomato, just to see if it will make it. It is a relatively new hybrid named Heatmaster because supposedly it will continue to produce in the summer.  :glare:  We'll see.

Oh, and figs are just getting started. Hopefully we'll have a decent crop in the fall, unless the deer get them first.

Last year:

Weeds won over veggies in our first year garden.

Planted two pears and seven apple trees.

This year we planted:

Strawberry bed

Asparagus

Red raspberry canes

Four blueberry bushes

Another pear tree

Veggies:

Green and yellow beans

Peas (They look pathetic this year.)

Broccoli

Kohlrabi

Swiss Chard

Lettuces

Basil

Fill

Cucumbers

Squash - butternut, acorn, spaghetti

Zucchini

Potatoes

Peppers - several varieties

Tomatoes - 40+ plants, mostly Tina, but a few eating tomatoes along with pear and cherry tomatoes

It's been a great year for our veggies but the peas just look awful. :( We'll wait for the worst of this heat to get past and replant for a fall crop.

Dh built me an enclosed raised bed garden last year to protect the veggies from visiting deer and groundhogs.

This year I have

Spinach

Lettuces

Onions

Garlic (almost ready to pull; I plant in the fall)

Carrots

3 types of tomatoes

Jalapenos

Sweet peppers, that cute small size (large ones are hard to get to red/orange/yellow here before cold)

Cucumbers for pickling

2 types of summer squash

Green beans

I started asparagus this spring :)

I also have

Rhubarb

9 blueberry bushes

Blackberries

Raspberries (late frost this year so nothing for early summer)

We have an enclosed garden to keep out the squirrels, rabbits, and birds. It's open enough to allow pollinators to get in and out. We have two square-foot raised beds, each with 16 spaces. Our season is basically over. Summer is too hot, wet, and buggy to grow much besides some hot peppers and a few herbs. We have 3 growing seasons though, so we don't mind the break in summer.

In winter and spring we had:

2 blueberry bushes  - in large pots - the bottom halves of barrels are the "pots"

cherry tomatoes

regular tomatoes

cucumbers

eggplant

zucchini 

yellow squash

corn - didn't do well at all

watermelon - only a few melons actually made it to maturity

sweet bell peppers

Cuban peppers

Dh planted Seminole pumpkin so it will be ready for November.

Herbs we grow year round -

basil

Italian (flat) parsley

cilantro

rosemary

chives

green onions (not really herbs, but we keep cutting off the green tops and using them)

We have one pineapple far this year. out of about half a dozen pineapple plants around the yard. It should be ready by September.

We have one pineapple far this year. out of about half a dozen pineapple plants around the yard. It should be ready by September.

Our pineapple plants are just looking pretty this year.   :glare:   I suppose since we live in PA they are allowed to do that, but after actually getting a (really small) pineapple last year I had hopes.

We have a couple of raised beds, so pretty small. This year, DS has his own bed. 

DS's garden: peas, beets, carrots, broccoli, melon, bell pepper. He had fun at Agway.... :-)

My bed: lettuce, swiss chard, tomatoes, potatoes. Half the bed is potatoes because I love them so much fresh from the garden. Next year, I am going to have a dedicated potato bed I think. 

Our pineapple plants are just looking pretty this year. :glare: I suppose since we live in PA they are allowed to do that, but after actually getting a (really small) pineapple last year I had hopes.

It can take up to a year and a half for a plant to bear fruit. Once it does, the mother plant will send out runners which you can split off and replant as soon as they have good roots. We have several plants that were in our yard when we bought the house in 2000. We've been dividing them for years but only get a pineapple or two about every other year. Once the pineapple gets big and nears ripeness we have to keep a close watch on it. There have been years when we waited just one day too long and either the squirrels or ants got to it. :(
  • Like 1

I used to market garden a 1.5 ac garden, but I got very burned out on that.  The past couple of years it was supposed to be a household sized garden.  We're 3 people, so I thought that meant something you could measure in double digit square feet, but my dh has had other ideas.  So we're up to a half-acre now.    He's taking care of most of it.  We have in:

potatoes (Norland, Yukon, fingerling)

​beets (red, yellow)

​spring onions

yellow onions

sweet corn

french carrots

peas (green, snow, snap)

green beans

several kinds of heirloom beans

chard (green, rainbow)

spinach (a few kinds)

lettuces (many kinds)

radishes (several kinds)

celery

peppers (bells, jalepeno, serrano, poblano, banana)

cucumbers (several kinds)

strawberries

cantaloupe

honeydew

zucchini (just a couple of plants)

squashes (butternut, acorn, summer, pumpkin)

tomatoes (beefsteak, roma, cherrybell)

​broccoli

​cauliflower

garlic

rhubarb

There are several fruit bushes and trees:

Raspberry

Blackberry

Gooseberry

Saskatoons

​Black cherry

Apple