Menu

Child drug into water by alligator at Disney World

Catalytic

I was looking at a map that popped up last night of the area, and wonder if it's possible that it is fed by other water. It looked on the map like it was connected to bigger waterways. Even if the entire thing is man made, with plenty of rain, and heck even without it, gators could come from other nearby waterways.

Also, I'm not an over the top animal rights activist or anything (not belittling those who are, but just for POV), but what good is really going to come of killing all the gators they are pulling from the water? I'm asking that in the sense of this particular case. Obviously if there is an overabundance they may need to kill or relocate them, but what good is going to come of potentially finding this child inside one of them? Even typing that sentence makes me cringe.

I'm totally horrified for this family and what they are enduring.

Edited by StaceyinLA
  • Like 3

Lived in Florida most of my adult life.  Gators are a way of life here....but really, they rarely attack people, let alone small children.  Small dogs are the usual suspects, but to be honest, that is rare too.   I, too, wouldn't really be expecting it at Disney....because I assume they have people who watch out for gators and other critters.

I saw this last night.... and my heart just sunk when I read that the Dad tried to fight off the gator. 

My kids and I used to walk to this retention pond in the neighborhood all the time and feed the ducks.  I remember being surprised when I found out that animal control had to relocate a gator who took up residence in that pond. 

This, coupled with the shooting, and the death of the Voice singer.... what a week.  :( 

• Like 4

I was looking at a map that popped up last night of the area, and wonder if it's possible that it is fed by other water. It looked on the map like it was connected to bigger waterways. Even if the entire thing is man made, with plenty of rain, and heck even without it, gators could come from other nearby waterways.

Also, I'm not an over the top animal rights activist or anything (not belittling those who are, but just for POV), but what good is really going to come of killing all the gators they are pulling from the water? I'm asking that in the sense of this particular case. Obviously if there is an overabundance they may need to kill or relocate them, but what good is going to come of potentially finding this child inside one of them? Even typing that sentence makes me cringe.

First, my heart goes out to this family.

Second, I am not an animal rights activist either. I wondered if that was the only way to know if they gator had consumed any body parts. That's the only thing that made sense to me.

I would assume it's so they can return the child to his family for a burial. I, personally, would want my child back too.

• Like 10

I would assume it's so they can return the child to his family for a burial. I, personally, would want my child back too.

Also, it would legally corroborate the family's account of what happened. I'm not doubting them, and for all I know there is other evidence but I assume to close the case they would want to find the gator. 

• Like 7

I'm just so saddened by this.  Everything that has happened recently (gorilla/boy in zoo, Christina Grimme (who was homeschooled her junior year and called herself a Christian), Orlando club and now this precious little girl.

Tears for her and her family.  I told my dd b/c I didn't want her to learn from anyone else. 

My mind can not even fathom what they are going through. 

The only way authorities can determine which alligator it was that grabbed the toddler, is to check the stomach. :(

That is why it is very important NOT to feed alligators, but visitors might not realize it is against the law. I'm not saying that happened in this case, but it has been a factor in other cases.

• Like 1

And people are already parent blaming.  The child was a foot in the water on vacation.  Half of adults now choose not to have kids and they sit around and blame those who do have them for every little thing.  I'm personally sick of it.

They were blaming the parents moments after the news broke.  And my apologies, the child was a little boy.  What I read last night said girl.

Once an animal has "tasted" human, it WILL be back for more.  (ie, bears that find trash, they go back over and over, even if relocated...this gator found easy food, it will go back again and again and become a threat to others)  (I spent the first 24 years of my life in Florida, and I vividly remember the time my baby brother and I were swimming in a lake and saw eyes coming toward us.  Daddy shot that gator, he was delicious.)

• Like 6

At our trip to Disney I explored the different hotels.  I walked over to Shades of Green (beautiful resort!) but was a little freaked out by the sign warning of snakes and alligators on the small strip between the water there and the footpath back to the Poly/TT Center.

You know where my mind went?  That SoG wasn't as mindful about the wildlife as the other resorts were.  Not that there was also a danger at the beaches of the Poly or the Beach Club, but that Shades of Green didn't spend the time policing.

I'm not the only one who is lulled into a sense of security there.  Disney does everything possible to make vacations easy and painless.  I would not have thought for a moment that my kid couldn't hang out on the beach there...where they show movies, have hammocks, and encourage play.

My heart goes out to this family.  I cannot even imagine the loss they're feeling right now.

I'm local now so have had a pretty stressful week with everything.   I've also spent most my life in Georgia and Florida.  

I am probably the dissenter when I say I don't think Disney should have signs warning about alligators.  Lakes are EVERYWHERE here in Orlando.  Water is everywhere.  Gators are everywhere.  There will be no parent blaming from me.  There was a sign that said no swimming.  From my reading, the child was not swimming, he was just steps from the beach, wading in the water.  Something I would let my child do, knowing that bodies of water here have alligators and water moccasins.  I'm sure the parents were not thinking for a second, especially being from Nebraska, and being on vacation, about alligators.  Knowing everything I know, I still would not worry about alligators.   Disney would have to have signs every 5 feet around miles and miles and miles of bodies of water. 

I can not imagine what these parents are going through, but you just can't prevent everything from happening.  The child was just as likely to step on a water moccasin laying on the bank of the lake.  To a point, we have to exist with nature.  I lay no fault with Disney. I lay no fault with the parents.  

We swim in oceans with sharks.  We have swam in lakes that MAY have alligators.  We KNOW they have snakes.  We have to take risks to some degrees.  

• Like 10

To anyone wanting to see a video of just how quickly a gator can attack, this is a video my youngest took at his college a little over a year ago (he was filming the ducklings).

The parents are not to blame.  Disney should have signs.  People need to quit feeding the gators!  But anyone reading should also be (or get) informed so it doesn't happen again.

As a general rule, be super, super careful going into the water at night in FL (or similar areas).  Besides gators (usually fresh water - lakes, springs, canals, etc), sharks also feed at night in the ocean, gulf, and some canals.

But this video was during the day... hungry critters ignore the general rules.  Be especially careful with young children and dogs.  It may be Disney World, but it's not a Disney movie.

My heart goes out to the parents and relatives of that young lad.  What a sad, sad story.

ps  The gator at Eckerd was relocated, but never forget that there can be others.

• Like 4

Living forever in CA, then on East Coast, now in Atlanta -- people from the Midwest just wouldn't think about alligators. Yes, Floridians do. Even Georgians do, but outside of the South, it's just not something anyone would think about. Maybe a passing thought, but that's about it.

I always worry about alligators, sharks, bears etc. because I'm a total paranoid. :)

In fact, the only reason I would have know about tornadoes is because of Dorothy. Otherwise I doubt that would have lodged in my mind. Same with tsunamis. Remember the awful one that happened on Xmas '04? I hadn't known much about those before that terrible event.

My .02: Disney only posted "Do Not Swim" signs because they didn't want to post a scary sign that said "Alligators! Beware!"

We were on that exact lake years ago with four-year-olds and -- as paranoid as I am -- I didn't once assume a gator would be in Disney waters. I just assumed that Disney is super uptight about keeping everything pristine and non-monsterish.

I'm horrified for the parents. Absolutely horrified.

Alley

• Like 3

I feel like Disney dropped the ball here. They made that beach how it was to be appealing to families. They know there are alligators in the water. They didn't want to scare off business, so they didn't mention the alligators. Now a little boy is dead from a horrible painful death. Disney knows they have many people there from places with no alligators.

• Like 6

There are awful comments about the parents. Having a kid out at 9:30 isn't crazy, and the beach doesn't seem real there. No one goes in the water, but you stand there for fireworks. I would never have thought twice about alligators. How would someone be able to fight off an alligator? (Critical commenters).

Ugh the comments are awful! Why do people have to do that. I agree that 9:30 isn't crazy!

9:30 in my world isn't late! It is just starting to get dark here. My 2 year old is routinely up late in the summer. I wouldn't even think twice about having him out at 9:30 on vacation. He was out till past 9:30 last night just running the big kids around.

But have any of these mean people even stopped to think about the time difference. They are from Nebraska. It would feel earlier to their 2 year old. My kids don't adjust that quickly to the time difference. I am on the East Coast - a little farther north, but it's light here until late. My family from the Midwest is always commenting on it when they visit. I am wondering if it stays lighter later in Florida than Nebraska. I would imagine It wouldn't feel late to them at all even if their kids went to bed earlier. So even though it was after 9. It probably felt like 8. Toddlers don't just go to sleep because the clock says it's bedtime. So why not have some fun.

Edited by Davysmom
  • Like 1

I'm local now so have had a pretty stressful week with everything.   I've also spent most my life in Georgia and Florida.  

I am probably the dissenter when I say I don't think Disney should have signs warning about alligators.  Lakes are EVERYWHERE here in Orlando.  Water is everywhere.  Gators are everywhere.  There will be no parent blaming from me.  There was a sign that said no swimming.  From my reading, the child was not swimming, he was just steps from the beach, wading in the water.  Something I would let my child do, knowing that bodies of water here have alligators and water moccasins.  I'm sure the parents were not thinking for a second, especially being from Nebraska, and being on vacation, about alligators.  Knowing everything I know, I still would not worry about alligators.   Disney would have to have signs every 5 feet around miles and miles and miles of bodies of water. 

I can not imagine what these parents are going through, but you just can't prevent everything from happening.  The child was just as likely to step on a water moccasin laying on the bank of the lake.  To a point, we have to exist with nature.  I lay no fault with Disney. I lay no fault with the parents.  

We swim in oceans with sharks.  We have swam in lakes that MAY have alligators.  We KNOW they have snakes.  We have to take risks to some degrees.  

Orlando hotels with giant man made lakes have posted signs saying "alligators, do not feed" etc. etc. One hotel had one prominent sign. Another hotel had many smaller signs. And it wasn't "every five feet," but the signs helped to educate their guests. Which was awesome of the hotel.

Disney can afford to put signs up -- especially given that they have visitors from around the world who don't know Florida the way you do.

(I don't think sharks is an apple to apple example. People around the world have access to oceans and understand the risk of sharks. A lot of people don't live with alligators the way Floridians do.)

I agree with you about risk. Risk is part of life and we can't get rid of all risk without living in a bubble. But posting "Do Not Swim" signs is not what the risk is 100 % about at Disney's lake. Disney just doesn't think the word "alligator" fits into their magical kingdom.

Alley

• Like 5

Not going back to quote but the waterways in Disney are (or were because Disney blocks access I think) interconnected with a huge chain of waterways. I know homeowners south of Disney used to complain about Disney controlling the water and flooding them. I thought of recent rain being the cause also. Disney is usually very good about relocating gators and caring for other wildlife on property. I can't believe they have FIVE so far. I have seen them relocate ones that were tiny...under two feet.

• Like 2

My .02: Disney only posted "Do Not Swim" signs because they didn't want to post a scary sign that said "Alligators! Beware!"

Not only should there be warning signs, but signs that warn against feeding them. Anytime you have a lot of people near water there should be a sign about that, to prevent alligators becoming more bold around humans. We were at the park last week and there were several signs posted there, and that wasn't even a beach you could walk down on, it was a boardwalk!

Disney could always make the signs cute with cartoons, if they wanted. 

• Like 7

I'll be honest, it would not occur to me that gators could be in the water and I'd have no concerns wading with my children. I'm from the Midwest. I worry about tornados and ice storms. Gators are just in swamps and zoos in my mind.

• Like 4

The press conference said that they need to kill the alligators to be able to find out if it was the one that attacked. I guess that they cannot leave an alligator that had a taste of human flesh around a lake frequented by people. It is likely to attack humans again. They will keep killing the alligators they catch until they can find the one that took the boy. I am all for animal rights, but, think that the authorities are right in doing what they are doing in this case.

I am so sad by the news coming out of Orlando in these past few days :(

Edited by mathnerd
  • Like 3

but what good is going to come of potentially finding this child inside one of them?

The Orange County sheriff mentioned that it was a recovery effort to bring some form of closure to the family. There are many news reports on it being a recovery effort.

• Like 2

You know what is heartbreaking to me, wondering if the family flew or drove. Most people from the midwest fly to Florida in my experience. Getting on the plane using one less ticket, knowing there are probably people on that plane talking about the incident. 

• Like 5

You know what is heartbreaking to me, wondering if the family flew or drove. Most people from the midwest fly to Florida in my experience. Getting on the plane using one less ticket, knowing there are probably people on that plane talking about the incident. 

Or getting into your car at the airport with the empty car seat in the backseat.  Or packing up and not knowing what to do with those little tiny pajamas that still smell like wonderful toddler. 

*sob*

And coming home to the empty bedroom.   

• Like 8

I'm from the midwest, and if I saw a "NO SWIMMING" sign on a water feature my mind would go to a water quality issue and I wouldn't let my kids touch it. 

I've seen gators in small bodies of water near people in FL and I'm very much an infrequent tourist there. 

I think the sign thing is hard.  There are other natural hazards in outdoor bodies of water and how can one list them all?  Maybe the signs should say "Danger - do not enter water"?  I read No swimming as stay away but evidently not everyone does.  Disney could stand to lose a big lawsuit, but I would feel bad if a small business owner got sued for this reason.   I'd be shocked if Disney just doesn't give them a very large settlement. 

Anyway, I'm heart broken for this family and it's a terrible tragedy.  Unfortunately, nature can be unpredictable. 

Edited by WoolySocks
  • Like 3

I'm a midwestern mom too and never would I think about alligators.  That's something in swamps or Australia.  Never!  It's so heartbreaking.  This situation and the gorilla one have broken my heart.  I have a high energy/athletic/climber two year old and I could see both of those situations happening to my family. 

Excuse me ... I have a toddler to go snuggle.

• Like 2

I hate to say it, but I think Disney is going to have a huge lawsuit on their hands. And rightfully so, if you ask me. I do think they are somewhat culpable.

I would think most likely that a team from Disney has already gathered to discuss the amount and when to present a figure.  I would imagine this is going to be settled before the parents even think about suing.  I wouldn't be surprised to hear that an undisclosed settlement had been reached between the park and the parents.

• Like 7

I don't think there should be a big lawsuit against Disney, but better warning signs would be a good idea. Maybe a pamphlet or some way to convey to guests the dangers when you are checking into the hotel, too? I realize that doesn't play into the dream vacation for a lot of people, being warned about gators at this magical place, but I'm sure the dad wouldn't have taken his son anywhere near that water if he had know the risks. For those of us not from Florida, a "No Swimming" sign does not mean there could be a gator in the water.

That poor family. I know the extreme guilt I would be feeling if I were the dad, I really hope he is able to forgive himself. Nobody should have to pay this much for a stupid mistake.

• Like 4

I'll be honest, it would not occur to me that gators could be in the water and I'd have no concerns wading with my children. I'm from the Midwest. I worry about tornados and ice storms. Gators are just in swamps and zoos in my mind.

I think when you live in an area with alligators, you are always aware of them. We have them in north Alabama, and I am always watching when we are out in the boat on the local river. A 6-foot alligator was pulled out of a pond one mile from my house a few years ago. However, this family is from the midwest, so it is likely that they had no idea that alligators are very common in Florida.

We were at the beach in south Alabama last week, and I would not let ds12 near the water in the early morning, at dusk, or at night, because those were the times I could not see in the water to see what possible preditors were nearby. He thought I was nutty, but I have seen alligators in the ocean before.

If the Grand Floridian did not have signs posted around this lake, then I am flabbergasted. They probably need to change landscaping so that guests cannot get near the water. They certainly cannot kill all the alligators in that lake, as new ones will just move in. I have seen large alligators basking on the banks of ponds by the highway; they are numerous in the Orlando area.

I cannot imagine what that child and parents went through last night. I have been privately heartbroken for them all day.

• Like 2

I'm from the midwest, and if I saw a "NO SWIMMING" sign on a water feature my mind would go to a water quality issue and I wouldn't let my kids touch it. 

I've seen gators in small bodies of water near people in FL and I'm very much an infrequent tourist there. 

I think the sign thing is hard.  There are other natural hazards in outdoor bodies of water and how can one list them all?  Maybe the signs should say "Danger - do not enter water"?  I read No swimming as stay away but evidently not everyone does.  Disney could stand to lose a big lawsuit, but I would feel bad if a small business owner got sued for this reason.   I'd be shocked if Disney just doesn't give them a very large settlement. 

Anyway, I'm heart broken for this family and it's a terrible tragedy.  Unfortunately, nature can be unpredictable. 

I am from Florida, but having swam with gators pretty much the first half of my life, no swimming would not necessarily mean there were gators, but it would mean keep out of the water.

I'm not sure Disney is completely culpable, BUT, I think Disney WILL offer the parents something, because that's what Disney does.  I'm very sure Disney execs feel horrible about this.

• Like 4

About a year ago or so, there was a small gator near a bus stop at the Pop ( I think it was the Pop). Disney had workers there trying to keep people away from it while the animal team came. People were trying still take pictures with the gator and go around the workers. I believe one person even told off a worker saying Disney should have trained the gator so they could have a picture.

• Like 1

I would think most likely that a team from Disney has already gathered to discuss the amount and when to present a figure.  I would imagine this is going to be settled before the parents even think about suing.  I wouldn't be surprised to hear that an undisclosed settlement had been reached between the park and the parents.

I hope so.  I think it's the right thing to do. 

• Like 1

I am from Florida, but having swam with gators pretty much the first half of my life, no swimming would not necessarily mean there were gators, but it would mean keep out of the water.

I'm not sure Disney is completely culpable, BUT, I think Disney WILL offer the parents something, because that's what Disney does. I'm very sure Disney execs feel horrible about this.

Disney definitely bears the majority of the burden. When a business is aware of a possible danger on its premises (and they do know gators lurk in those waters), they are responsible for clearly informing all guests of those dangers and taking safety precautions.

• Like 11

Ă°Å¸ËœÂ¢ I cannot imagine going on vacation and returning home with one less family member. There are no words for how awful and horrific this is. What those parents and sister must be experiencing.

• Like 1

Disney definitely bears the majority of the burden. When a business is aware of a possible danger on its premises (and they do know gators lurk in those waters), they are responsible for clearly informing all guests of those dangers and taking safety precautions.

(Not arguing, just pondering)  On that statement...many people who visit Disney don't speak English...I wonder what the culpability is (had there been a sign saying beware of alligators in English) if the child had been of non-English speaking parents.

Had to stay off FB today, every time I get on there, my feed is just filled with the story (half my friend list lives in the area, high school classmates) and people are just slamming the parents.  I just want to scream "have some compassion!"

• Like 1

I agree with you, ChocolateR!

Jumping back in to say that this story has really saddened me.  I can't seem to focus and am just putzing (is that a word; spelled right?) around not getting much done.

Any life lost due to any sort of attack is sad, but this little boy....I can just see the family in my mind and my mind wanders... Dear Lord, help!

• Like 3

Jumping back in to say that this story has really saddened me.  I can't seem to focus and am just putzing (is that a word; spelled right?) around not getting much done.

Any life lost due to any sort of attack is sad, but this little boy....I can just see the family in my mind and my mind wanders... Dear Lord, help!

Me too.  :(

I do think that Disney will work quickly to come to some sort of financial settlement, but I'm not sure they're culpable here at all.  Think of it this way.   You go to an ocean front resort.   Part of the beach is  "private" beach, but only separated from the public spaces by cones or some other device.  You take a dip in the water and, lo and behold, a shark bites off your leg.  

Is the resort responsible, because you were in the "private" section?  It's the ocean.  They can't keep out the sharks.  That's pretty simple.  To me, it's the same sort of scenario here.

It's one of the most horrible things I've heard in a long time, and I'm trying hard to not think about it too much, or put myself in the water with that child (as if I were the parent), because it's gut-wrenching.  But honestly....I'm not sure that there is blame to be placed here.  It's a wild animal in a body of water.  It happens, even if the body of water happens to be on Disney property.

• Like 8

When we went several years ago, there was a lot about the brain-killing-amoeba in the news, especially in the Florida area.  I remember the signs saying no swimming.  I didn't let DD even touch the water at that time.  

• Like 1

Disney will settle with them, as they should, and they will doubtless put up better signs.  I don't think they were horribly negligent though.  There are so many risks to assess, and obviously they underestimated this one.  They were not ignoring or disregarding it, but underestimated it.

• Like 4

(Not arguing, just pondering) On that statement...many people who visit Disney don't speak English...I wonder what the culpability is (had there been a sign saying beware of alligators in English) if the child had been of non-English speaking parents.

Had to stay off FB today, every time I get on there, my feed is just filled with the story (half my friend list lives in the area, high school classmates) and people are just slamming the parents. I just want to scream "have some compassion!"

I may or may not have referred to some folks on my FB feed as ignorant buffoons.

• Like 4

Remember that 30 million people a year visit Walt Disney World. Terrible things occasionally happen in any group that size.

There has NOT been a history of alligator attacks on Seven Seas Lagoon.

"Since 1948, there have been 23 alligator fatalities, not including those currently under investigation." (in ALL of Florida) see; http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/USA-Update/2016/0615/Is-Florida-s-alligator-management-system-failing

Yes, the event is tragic. Horrifyingly so. Yes, I am heartbroken for the family.

Yes, Disney will settle with the family. Yes, there will be new signs... but I don't really think it's a matter of negligence.

Honestly no one could foresee it. Sometimes freak things happen. Freak horrifying things.

• Like 12

I do think that Disney will work quickly to come to some sort of financial settlement, but I'm not sure they're culpable here at all. Think of it this way. You go to an ocean front resort. Part of the beach is "private" beach, but only separated from the public spaces by cones or some other device. You take a dip in the water and, lo and behold, a shark bites off your leg.

Is the resort responsible, because you were in the "private" section? It's the ocean. They can't keep out the sharks. That's pretty simple. To me, it's the same sort of scenario here.

It's one of the most horrible things I've heard in a long time, and I'm trying hard to not think about it too much, or put myself in the water with that child (as if I were the parent), because it's gut-wrenching. But honestly....I'm not sure that there is blame to be placed here. It's a wild animal in a body of water. It happens, even if the body of water happens to be on Disney property.

Sharks in the ocean is a known danger to all. Alligators in a pond are not to those not from Florida. In addition, Disney posted a general sign indicating there was a known danger, but the warning was incomplete.

Further, unlike a shark attack, the child was not in an area that those who don't know about the risk of gators would think is dangerous.

Edited by ChocolateReignRemix
  • Like 4

Disney will settle with them, as they should, and they will doubtless put up better signs. I don't think they were horribly negligent though. There are so many risks to assess, and obviously they underestimated this one. They were not ignoring or disregarding it, but underestimated it.

They were not horribly negligent and I agree they will likely settle.

• Like 1

Sharks in the ocean is a known danger to all. Alligators in a pond are not to those not from Florida. In addition, Disney posted a general sign indicating there was a known danger, but the warning was incomplete.

Further, unlike a shark attack, the child was not in an area that those who don't know about the risk of gators would think is dangerous.

I suppose, but I was not raised in an area with gators but I still knew about them.  I would have thought that was as much common knowledge until I read this thread, frankly.  It never occurred to me that it wasn't.  Then again, I could have selective memory from my years of actually living in FL.  Who knows?  

And like someone else said, it's more of a case of freak accident than common occurrence or regular, general threat, based on the history of gator attacks in florida, and gator behavior in general. 

I don't know.  I see your point, but it's not so clear cut to me.  Regardless, it's horrific, and I'd be shocked if they didn't do something different going forwarrd.