Menu

Let's compile a "must watch" list of rom-com movies ...

Ann.without.an.e

Dd and some girls in her chem class were discussing "must watch movies". What are your top favorites?

While you were sleeping

Leap year

You've got mail

How to lose a guy in ten days

Failure to launch

Ever after

50 first dates

I know there's more.

I would love to know your favorites :)

• Like 1

The Proposal - One of the rare rom-coms where the woman (take charge, no nonsense, hard working executive) doesn't really change, the man just learns to love her as she is.

Edited by ErinE
  • Like 5

By the way, speaking of classic rom coms, perhaps this board will appreciate the hilariously strange conversation I had with ds (who, it must be emphasized is ELEVEN years old).

Me: Stop leaning on that chair like that. You can't perch anymore. You're too big. You're growing up and you don't realize how much bigger you are.

Ds (wailing, only slightly jokingly): I'm getting so old. Why do I have to get older! Why!

Me: Dude, it's just happening. Suck it up.

Ds: But I'm going to be OLD! It's horrible, Farrar.

Me: Oh, come on.

Ds: I'm going to be really old! Like, I'm going to 40!

Me: In, like, three decades.

Ds: But it's going to happen! One day! (literally falls down out of the chair I'd just told him to stop perching from and wails some more)

I was like, kid, is this a riff on When Harry Met Sally? He had no idea what I was talking about. Also amusing is that I will be 40 and it really is just out there, in just two months.

• Like 6

Did no one say The Notebook yet?

Spanglish is more of a "I love my mother because she didn't pursue the love of her life" type movie, but I'd add it.

Last Holiday (Queen Latifah)

The Holiday (Kate Winslet)

Legally Blonde

Say Anything

As Good as it Gets

Kate and Leopold

Blast from the Past (okay, maybe these two aren't the best romantic movies, but I love the romanticism of time-travel in both of them)

Man Up

Bridget Jones's Diary

Sabrina (either version)

Groundhog Day

I have a special fondness for the Rock Hudson & Doris Day movies, but I'm not sure any of them are must-see.  More fun.

As a kid I loved Return to the Blue Lagoon and Bare Essentials, both early 90's desert island movies.

Edited by Katy
  • Like 1

Has anyone mentioned French Kiss?

Overboard

Pride and Prejudice (the Kiera Knightly version is my favorite.)

Notting Hill

A quirky one....Lars and the Real Girl

Oldies but goodies....

Casablanca

It Happened One Night

An Affair to remember

I'm loving everyone's lists...

• Like 1

Truly, Madly, Deeply (there is nothing better than Alan Rickman, unless it's more of Alan Rickman) 

Pride & Prejudice (this is my 11 year old's top pick - she loves the 2005 movie) 

While You Were Sleeping 

• Like 1

I like old movies.  I also love witty repartee.

the philadelphia story (cary grant, katharine hepburn, jimmy stewart)   .

bringing up baby (baby is a jaguar)  cary grant, Katharine Hepburn

the great race (tony Curtis, natalie wood, jack lemon, peter falk and a fabulous cast of extras.  and the world largest pie fight ever)

Casablanca - best. quotes. ever.

the princess bride - also very quotable.

to catch a thief (cary grant, grace Kelly)

how to steal a million (peter o'toole, Audrey Hepburn)

sabrina

support your local sheriff

the quiet man (john wayne, Maureen o'hara)

gentlemen prefer blondes (marilyn Monroe, jane Russell.)

how to marry a millionaire (marilyn Monroe, betty grable, lauren bacall)

• interesting I've never watched bogie (Humphrey boggart) and bacall work together.  lots of chemistry.  lots. he ended up marrying her in real life.)

mr and mrs smith.

dd was in high school when she did a fred Astaire binge. (the movies are all romances - but just vehicles to watch him and ginger Rodgers dance.  incidentally, his dancing intimidated Rudolf Nureyev.)  which got her onto gene Kelly . . .

• Like 4

I like old movies. I also love witty repartee.

the philadelphia story (cary grant, katharine hepburn, jimmy stewart) .

bringing up baby (baby is a jaguar) cary grant, Katharine Hepburn

the great race (tony Curtis, natalie wood, jack lemon, peter falk and a fabulous cast of extras. and the world largest pie fight ever)

Casablanca - best. quotes. ever.

the princess bride - also very quotable.

to catch a thief (cary grant, grace Kelly)

how to steal a million (peter o'toole, Audrey Hepburn)

sabrina

support your local sheriff

the quiet man (john wayne, Maureen o'hara)

gentlemen prefer blondes (marilyn Monroe, jane Russell.)

how to marry a millionaire (marilyn Monroe, betty grable, lauren bacall)

• interesting I've never watched bogie (Humphrey boggart) and bacall work together. lots of chemistry. lots. he ended up marrying her in real life.)
mr and mrs smith.

dd was in high school when she did a fred Astaire binge. (the movies are all romances - but just vehicles to watch him and ginger Rodgers dance. incidentally, his dancing intimidated Rudolf Nureyev.) which got her onto gene Kelly . . .

I love the old Sabrina. Audrey Hepburn is delightful.

• Like 4

So how many of you have actually read Love in the Time of Cholera? Every time I'm late-night channel-flipping and come across Serendipity, I think about that book, but forget the next day.

Is Serendipity a version of Love in the Time of Cholera?

I read the book. I intensely disliked it. Lol.

• Like 2

About a boy

The Englishman that went up a hill

Sweet home Alabama

Notting Hill

Bridget Jones Diary

You've got Mail

Joe vs the volcano

Pretty in Pink

10 thing I hate about you

Two Weeks Notice

Clueless

Splash

Moonstruck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like old movies.  I also love witty repartee.

To Catch a Thief (Cary Grant, Grace Kelly)

Sabrina (Audrey Hepburn & Humphrey Bogart)

Those two!!! The first one is everything: mystery, comedy and romance.

I haven't seen this one mentioned.  I love this one and it is usually on Netflix:

Sliding Doors (Gwyneth Paltrow) - one afternoon she misses her train home and it shows two different plot lines - what happens because she missed the train and what would have happened if she had made the train.  Total chick flick.

Edited by Pink and Green Mom
  • Like 1

I'm guessing some people don't quite fully grasp what "rom-com" means, because I'm scratching my head over some of these recommendations.

I don't know which one's you're specifically thinking of . . but I know some aren't the first thing that would come to mind over a "rom-com" - but if you pay attention, they do contain those elements.

I don't know which one's you're specifically thinking of . . but I know some aren't the first thing that would come to mind over a "rom-com" - but if you pay attention, they do contain those elements.

The King's Speech?

• Like 1

To me Pride and Prejudice and The King's Speech are historical period movies.  Is a rom com anything that is romantic with maybe one or two scenes that might make one laugh?

I suggested The Out of Towners but I don't think that is a rom com because the couple is already married with kids.  

I am not a big rom com fan (in the Hanks/Ryan sense of the term).  But I do like Truly, Madly, Deeply (but that made me cry for days - I think there is much more to it than a silly romance).  Princess Bride is also more than a rom com to me.  And Moonstruck was not just about cher getting together with Nicholas but about family and love in all its stages from new love to old married love and even love that forgives infidelity.  And even religion (I want you to go to confession!).  

To me rom coms are light and fluffy with two supposedly unlikely people getting together in a comedic way.  Once it gets deeper, it becomes something else.  But I am sure any definition of rom com is going to have fuzzy edges where people can agree or disagree about whether a movie truly fits the category.

Please forgive the above disclosure.  I hope I have not offended any ardent rom com fans!  I salute and support your rom com habit!  LOL!

• Like 1

I have to say this is probably my least favorite genre.  There are movies I like in it, but there are so many I think are really awful - they are either stupid and a bit offensive, or just mushy.

But ones I like:

Love Actually

Bridget Jones Diary (only the frst one, really)

Roxanne

Moonstruck

Chocolat

I watched About Time recently, and quite enjoyed it, I don't know whether it will be end up on my keeper list.

To me Pride and Prejudice and The King's Speech are historical period movies.  Is a rom com anything that is romantic with maybe one or two scenes that might make one laugh?

I suggested The Out of Towners but I don't think that is a rom com because the couple is already married with kids.  

I am not a big rom com fan (in the Hanks/Ryan sense of the term).  But I do like Truly, Madly, Deeply (but that made me cry for days - I think there is much more to it than a silly romance).  Princess Bride is also more than a rom com to me.  And Moonstruck was not just about cher getting together with Nicholas but about family and love in all its stages from new love to old married love and even love that forgives infidelity.  And even religion (I want you to go to confession!).  

To me rom coms are light and fluffy with two supposedly unlikely people getting together in a comedic way.  Once it gets deeper, it becomes something else.  But I am sure any definition of rom com is going to have fuzzy edges where people can agree or disagree about whether a movie truly fits the category.

Please forgive the above disclosure.  I hope I have not offended any ardent rom com fans!  I salute and support your rom com habit!  LOL!

I think though the really good romantic comedies are the ones that, like Moonstruck or Love Actually, go beyond fluffy and look at love a little more deeply.  As a genre they do seem to include a lot of bad, shallow movies, but then action films are rather like that as well - there are some really good ones, but so many that are just badly written, one dimensional strings of explosions and special effects.