Menu

Cell phones only at home: what about emergency situations ?

Laurie4b

There was a death recently reported in the news of a father in his 30s whose home was 1 mile from the nearest ambulance service. He had some heart -related event and his wife called 911, but because it was a cell, it went to the wrong county and it took the operator a long time to understand the address and get it reconnected to the correct 911 dispatch center. EMTs arrived after 10 minutes and it was too late. So that is one aspect to the issue. 

The other thing that concerns me is that I am someone who has always had very poor "hand to brain" communication. I can have something in my hand and literally within a minute have  no idea where I have put it down. So while I make conscious effort to always know where my cell is, I just don't always know. Or, sometimes, I allow my cell to die--not on purpose; it just happens. If no one else was home with their cell and I had a medical emergency, it would be the same as if I had no phone. 

Dh says getting a landline again would cost $60 per month, which is significant on our budget.  I was thinking of finding out what it would cost to add one cheapo cell phone to our plan and just keep that in the kitchen, not to be used except for emergencies (so that it wouldn't travel anywhere!) That wouldn't solve the issue of the call going to the wrong center but would solve the "I can't find my phone" issue.

Anyone else have similar concerns?  What solutions have you come up with? 

• Like 1

I would be concerned that, if you already let your regular phone run out of battery, you might not remember to keep the emergency phone charged at all times, especially since it is never in use. It does not strike me as a particularly practical solution.

ETA: I am on a landline, but this would not really be a big concern of mine. I hike often in areas without any cell reception at all.

Edited by regentrude

We suck it up and pay for a landline. But we once had a house fire where we couldn't find the cell phone immediately, so that colors my view greatly.

I have 2 middle schoolers. The younger one stays home alone several times a week when I'm running other kids to activities, and the older one babysits the younger ones on occasion. I feel safer having a landline. Their cell phones occasionally get misplaced, and even the most responsible child can panic and have a hard time communicating their location to the 911 operator. I also want the little ones to be able to call 911 in an emergency, and it's much easier for them to climb up and use the landline than to search for and use a cellphone.

• Like 2

We dropped our landline and I had to force myself to have a routine with my cell phone.  I have a wall-mounted basket where my cell phone lives if I am at home.  The charger is there, and I make myself charge it every night.  

I leave my purse unzipped hanging in the hall way.  That's my reminder to get my cell phone in there before I go anywhere.  As soon as I come home again, cell phone goes in basket and purse gets (and stays) unzipped.

Hugs.  Put some routines in place.  You can do it.  

• Like 4

We've only had cell phones for more than 5 years. I have had to dial 911 in that time - we had no issue getting them here. Emergency services are literally 3 blocks away and they were here in less than 2 minutes. Cell phones stay in certain places in our house. I did have to give my address, which could be an issue if you're in distress while calling or panicked. 

Could you set up a charging station in your house and leave phones there? 

This is why we still have a landline.  I always know where my cell is, and the battery is never dead.  But still... we will go cell only when 911 dispatch can find us as quickly on a cell as they can on a landline, and without anyone having to give an address.  

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1

My county covers a wide area. So eventhough my cellphone's area code tallies with my county, it would still be hard to pinpoint location. I think if there is a function for phones to relay GPS co-ordinates when the call is placed to 911, that would help a lot.

I used to have my cellphone on a lanyard when I was working, looks better than carrying a walkie talkie. If you get a spare cellphone for the kitchen, maybe just charge that phone every night.

Possibly get a magicJack (VOIP) and a phone.  We have a magicJack and a phone number in the USA (I used it to make a call to Texas, about 45 minutes ago), but I am not sure whether or not you can use 911 service with a magicJack. I think you can register a magicJack to your home address, for 911 service, but I implore you to study the information on the magicJack web site about 911 service.  

http://www.magicjack.com/index.html

One of my childhood friends (in UT) had his old landline number "ported" to his magicJack, several years ago. He believes the Call Quality and Reliability is about the same, between his old Landline (POTS) service and his magicJack (VOIP) service. I think he wrote me that he saves approximately $30 or $40 per month, by using the magicJack in his home? I think he pays magicJack about $10 per year, because they ported his old phone number to his magicJack.  If you do not have a number to be Ported, you will select a new phone number, from the list of numbers magicJack has available.

On Topic: Many years ago, when I lived in Texas,  there was an accident one night, about 200 feet from my house. I  went out to see what happened and the car had caught fire. I called 911 on my cell phone and yes, there was confusion with 911, because I was on a Cell Phone, and I had to get transferred to the Emergency Service for the city I lived in. I think the call first went to the County, but don't remember.

I have dialed 911 with my crappy prepaid cell no problem. 

It's even difficult to get a land line anymore here.  We have VoiP through Verizon.  There is an emergency backup phone in the basement though.  It's on a battery and came with the phone plan we have.  I know for sure we pay quite a bit less than $60 for it.

If you are one to forget to charge phones, maybe get a charging station and put it in a very prominent place in your home.  By the door or something and make it a point to put your phone on the charger when you come in or out of the house.  Another thing they sell too are chargers that don't need to be plugged in.  You need to charge the charger, but it can sit a very long time.  That wouldn't help in a dire emergency, but it would help if you lost power and needed a way to charge your phone. 

I wonder if there is some sort of landline set up where you only have emergency dialing access.  I could swear I've heard of such things.  Off to google this...

We have a landline, but it is hooked into our wireless internet so it's way cheaper.  I want to say like 10-15 a month.  We are lazy enough with charging and not huge cell users (we don't have data plans on any of our phones - they're all wireless phones with unlimited text/talk).  So that's one alternative if you want an extra line.

The other thing is in the instance of someone collapsing with sudden heart failure, the odds of revival and someone surviving are actually extremely small already.  Unless you had paddles on hand, your odds of ending up alive aren't great.  My dad died this way last year and several ICU nurses told us.  He lived across the street from a hospital and an ambulance was at his house within minutes.  He stayed alive on live support with no signs of actual LIFE for 4 days.  Honestly, I think he would have preferred not to have had those last 4 days.  10 minutes to a 911 call is actually not a horrible response time at all.  But the brain can not survive long without oxygen sadly.

Would a land line really cost $60/month for the cheapest possible plan? That seems like a lot.

Yeah this seems surprising to me.  They may have a super cheap landline plan where you have to pay a low monthly fee, but then you have to pay per call also.  If you only keep it for emergencies that would be fine.

Although now I have to wonder if some land line services just aren't taking advantage of the fact people will hang onto it for the emergency calls. 

We don't have a real landline, which I hate, but apparently they don't do landlines anymore where I am. 

I will never have just a cell phone.  For one thing, I don't want to receive all of my calls on my cell.  It would drive me crazy to be out doing something and getting phone calls about stuff that could easily have gone to my answering machine so that I could deal with them when I felt like it.

If you want a landline, look around for what services are available.  Probably your best offer will come from your internet provider, in some kind of bundle (we actually have it through comcast, bundled with TV/internet/phone - we don't even use the cable, it's in a box under the bed, but it's cheaper to have it than not have it, go figure).

• Like 4

I will never have just a cell phone.  For one thing, I don't want to receive all of my calls on my cell.  It would drive me crazy to be out doing something and getting phone calls about stuff that could easily have gone to my answering machine so that I could deal with them when I felt like it.

If you want a landline, look around for what services are available.  Probably your best offer will come from your internet provider, in some kind of bundle (we actually have it through comcast, bundled with TV/internet/phone - we don't even use the cable, it's in a box under the bed, but it's cheaper to have it than not have it, go figure).

Good point.  I do not give out my cell phone number to anyone except people who may want to call me regarding my kids at activities (like the drama teacher).  Otherwise, oh gawd.  i don't want people calling me while I'm out with the phone.

• Like 1

Yeah this seems surprising to me. They may have a super cheap landline plan where you have to pay a low monthly fee, but then you have to pay per call also. If you only keep it for emergencies that would be fine.

Although now I have to wonder if some land line services just aren't taking advantage of the fact people will hang onto it for the emergency calls.

We don't have a real landline, which I hate, but apparently they don't do landlines anymore where I am.

I just went to Verizon and entered a neighbors address as if I were getting a new phone. I chose the most basic plan they offered -- just under $60. I'm gobsmacked.

I also find it profoundly disturbing that I have to enter a specific address to get the rates. Ă°Å¸ËœÂ¡

No wonder even very limited income people have cellphones. I can't believe the Verizon prices. They don't seem to have phone plans with limited calling and no features. I have an old plan like that, but I don't think I could get one now. The cost changes my perspective about home phones.

http://www.verizoninternet.com/standard-phone-service.html

Lifeline program

https://www.verizon.com/support/consumer/consumer-education/lifeline?CMP=DMC-CVZ_ZZ_ZZ_Z_DO_N_X00363

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 1

This is the reason we have a land line!  Not emergency situations but I don't want everyone to have my cell number.  I give that out to only to friends/family and as an emergency contact number for my kids activities.  It would drive me batty if I started getting calls/texts on my cell all the live long day.  I don't answer my landline probably 90% of the time and hooray for caller ID.

We haven't had a landline in over 12 years and have never had a problem.  We have called 911 several times and it went through fine.  I think part of it would depend on the area you live in.

When we had a landline I often forgot to put our cordless phone on the charger and it would die or I couldn't find it, so not much different than a cell phone in that regard.  Also, in a power outage our landline phone didn't work because it was cordless and the base needed power for a call to go through,  Now, I guess we could have non-cordless phone plugged straight into the wall, but I just don't think it is worth it for us.

I just went to Verizon and entered a neighbors address as if I were getting a new phone. I chose the most basic plan they offered -- just under $60. I'm gobsmacked.

I also find it profoundly disturbing that I have to enter a specific address to get the rates. Ă°Å¸ËœÂ¡

No wonder even very limited income people have cellphones. I can't believe the Verizon prices. They don't seem to have phone plans with limited calling and no features. I have an old plan like that, but I don't think I could get one now. The cost changes my perspective about home phones.

Lifeline program

https://www.verizon.com/support/consumer/consumer-education/lifeline?CMP=DMC-CVZ_ZZ_ZZ_Z_DO_N_X00363

You know, I just used that to look up what they have here.  They don't offer land lines here!  There is no other phone company here either.  There are other companies that offer phone, but not land lines. 

Well geesh that stinks.  I do have the emergency battery operated back up in the cellar.  Although at this point the battery needs to be replaced and it's very expensive.  We pay a per month fee to rent this phone crap and they are telling us we have to buy the new battery.  I don't get that.  This isn't a regular battery either. 

• Like 1

I will never have just a cell phone. For one thing, I don't want to receive all of my calls on my cell. It would drive me crazy to be out doing something and getting phone calls about stuff that could easily have gone to my answering machine so that I could deal with them when I felt like it.

If you want a landline, look around for what services are available. Probably your best offer will come from your internet provider, in some kind of bundle (we actually have it through comcast, bundled with TV/internet/phone - we don't even use the cable, it's in a box under the bed, but it's cheaper to have it than not have it, go figure).

That's interesting. I just looked at my internet provider (we don't have cable). Phones cane be "professionally installed" to connect with your phone jack. Have enhanced 911, whatever that is. And for about $35 you can buy a battery backup for modem, so phone works even if power is out.

That's interesting. I just looked at my internet provider (we don't have cable). Phones cane be "professionally installed" to connect with your phone jack. Have enhanced 911, whatever that is. And for about $35 you can buy a battery backup for modem, so phone works even if power is out.

I'm not sure you even need to have it set up with your phone jacks.  We have our phone plugged directly into the modem (and the back up battery, you must have that).  Of course, if you want it hooked up to your jacks, go for it, but it's not necessary.

• Like 1

We have an internet line but the problem with relying on that is if the internet service is out, so is the phone.  We lose phone service in storms, both winter and summer.  We've used our cell to call 911 and haven't had a problem. 

I thought cell phones were increasingly reliable for getting through to the right 911 location- they tell you that you can use an unactivated cell phone to call 911 and there are drop off places here to donate an old phone so they can give them to shelters for domestic violence victims. They say they give the phones out so the person can call 911 if needed.   

We have cells only.  We have three of them, so chances are high that we could find one of them if need be.  I occasionally lose mine, but it's generally in one of a couple of places (in my bag or on the counter where we charge them), and I can always grab the spare phone (a TracFone that I got for kids to have when they're not with us, like if I drop them off at a class or something) to call mine or to call 911.  We do have a phone number associated with our DSL; it used to be our landline number but is no longer needed, although it's still listed as being ours, so we could give that to 911 if needed to track us somehow.

But honestly?  I have never once called 911, ever, from home.  I am not saying it would never happen, but it's not super cheap to have one, so it's a lot of money for a remote possibility that the cells wouldn't work at all.  I would use my cell, which has a number closest to our local calling area, if possible, instead of DH's.  His has a different area code because it was issued by his work, which is across a state line, and I know that if I call poison control from it, I will get a different district than if I call with mine.  Not that it mostly matters, but I know they will call ahead to an ER if there is a concern, and of course, they'd want to get the right one (but also, I'd have to tell them which ER, because I am equally distant to at least three, in three counties).

Fwiw, for those who were saying it would be annoying, I get very few calls, period.  My cell rings well under once a day.  I almost never answer my cell during school hours unless it's either DH's ringtone or unless I'm expecting a call.  However, I have my iPad set up to give me instant notifications of emails to my primary gmail boxes and also instant notifications of texts to my iPad (only DH and a couple of friends use that because it's only good for iDevices).

• Like 2

It seems so silly to have both a landline and a cell phone plan.  I don't know any young people out on their own who have a land line. They all have cell phones only.  But I won't give my land line up until I can trust my cell phone as well as I trust my land line.  And you're right, I don't want business calls on my cell phone. My cell phone is for friends/family only.  But still... having two different types of phones and phone plans seems strange and an overlap of expenses.

I'm one of those people who called 911 on a cell phone to save someone's life.  (My dh.)  They couldn't help me, and got it all mixed up too.  (Part of the confusion was that I wasn't home.)  I frantically called a phone operator then in order to get the phone number of a local hospital who consented to send an ambulance.  The whole thing was so discombobulated.  But I guess 911 is a whole other subject.  From what I hear they are made up of many, many centers and are not connected to any main server.

My brother is a volunteer fireman and EMT (30+ years of experience) in the same county we live in.  He also has a sideline business where he does radio repair for many of the municipal fire and law enforcement agencies in our area.  In short -- he's about as expert on this stuff as you can get.  He assures me that our county has the equipment necessary to pinpoint where any call is coming from, whether it originates from a cell phone or a land line.  So I have zero concerns about not having a land line. From what he says it hasn't been an issue in our area for many years now.

As far as keeping up with things -- I can't really help with that.  We're very much a "place for everything and everything in its place" kind of family.  I always know where my cell phone is, and I never let the battery dip below 30 percent or so.

• Like 3

i am thinking of switching to just a cell.  The costs are a little different here in Canada, so as long as I've not wanted a cell, it's cheaper to have a land line.  But it is getting harder to function without one, so if I give in, I can't see the point of keeping the land line too, and I can't really afford both.  I hate talking on a cell so it ticks me off.

As far as losing it around the house - my advice would be to set up a docking station and treat it like a landline.  These days, they are easy to lose as well since they have no cord.  It might even be possible to get a second phone just for this purpose on the same number, so you could have a purse phone and a house phone.  I'd look at the plans for families.

The 911 - yeah.  It could be a crap-shoot.  I figure in a pinch I'd go to the neighbours.

One of the reasons my dh liked land is that it wasn't digital, but now that it is, that isn't an advantage.

Our cellhone numbers are from three states/moves ago. Like many military, we keep our numbers with our moves. We are in CA right now with NY numbers. We do have a house phone only because it is cheaper to take that deal than the non phone deal.

You don't have to call 911. There should be a 10 digit lical emergency number. We our town's lical emergency number, the town next to us' number as well as the base's number programed into our phone. Those are our main areas we are in. (outside of those I probably wouldn't really know where I was enough to place the call in the first place and would make a local do it.)

I had to use that number about two weeks ago and they answered it Town 911.

I don't think I know anyone who still has a land line. People in my town tend to get comfortable with technology early on. I've never heard of anyone having a 911 issue over this. I know it happens, but I haven't heard of it happening here. We're in a populated area so services are very quick.

• Like 1

We have an internet line but the problem with relying on that is if the internet service is out, so is the phone.  We lose phone service in storms, both winter and summer.  We've used our cell to call 911 and haven't had a problem. 

I thought cell phones were increasingly reliable for getting through to the right 911 location- they tell you that you can use an unactivated cell phone to call 911 and there are drop off places here to donate an old phone so they can give them to shelters for domestic violence victims. They say they give the phones out so the person can call 911 if needed.   

What kind of internet do you have?  We have cable and it's never out.

• Like 1

I don't know where all y'all live, but here you can get 911 service on a landline. As in, you can only dial 911 and the phone company from that line. And as of 3 years ago, it was free to hook it up like that.

So definitely make sure your company doesn't offer that before you pay $$$ for no reason!

• Like 1

magicJack can be set up for 911, by  people who live in the USA or Canada.  We live in South America, so that isn't applicable to us. The only downside to having a magicJack (VOIP), in an emergency situation, would be if one lost Internet access.  No Internet, no VOIP from magicJack or any other VOIP provider.  I used our magicJack phone to place a call and to receive a call this morning and it was crystal clear. 

• Like 1

What kind of internet do you have?  We have cable and it's never out.

We bundle through Comcast. They're using wires on phone poles and our town is full of trees and we get lots of storms every year- wind and rain in the summer and snow and wind in the winter. So between Comcast going out or our electricity going out (which also makes us lose internet) we do lose our 'landline' service sometimes. 

We probably lose phone service more due to power going out than cable going out. Then again, if the power goes out I don;t really know if the cable is also out. g

Lifeline program

Yeah, we're Verizon users. And you'd think with all the services we get through them that they could bundle in a landline for a reasonable fee, but apparently not. 

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 1

I don't think I know anyone who still has a land line. People in my town tend to get comfortable with technology early on. I've never heard of anyone having a 911 issue over this. I know it happens, but I haven't heard of it happening here. We're in a populated area so services are very quick.

We live in an area like that as well, believe it or not. The issue with the cell is which tower it bounces off of. The caller to 911 got bounced off one tower but most of her county would have come off the other tower. 

A basic land line here costs $26/month through ATT.  We keep one because in our area it's common for your cell phone to be set up with a different area code.  We are ruralish and our local 911 won't be able to find your cell phone. I've had a 5yo call 911 in an emergency.   Now that the kids are older and some may stay home when I leave, I spend an extra $5 a month to have long distance available for the kids to reach my cell phone in something other than a real emergency.   ;)  I pay based on minutes used.  I also like the convenience of not having to screen calls, very few people have my cell phone number, and all know to call the house first, so if it rings I know it's important.

Edited by melmichigan

Dss is a firemedic and has no land line. I look to him for whether or not it's safe, at least in my area.

In 2014 they had the unfortunate chance to test their cell phone-only service, and fortunately it had a happy ending. Ddil suffered sudden placental abruption while dss was on shift. She was home alone with their almost 2 yo. She called 911 and even though she wasn't completely coherent* (though she's an ER nurse so she may have been more able to talk to them than someone not in the medical field) they had no trouble finding her. Obviously the call went to the correct 911 service, but the gps also worked. Our youngest grandson almost didn't make it and he almost took his mother with him, but emergency services were able to find them and get there quickly. Dss credits the first responders ability to get there so quickly. Obviously choices they made once they got there were also a factor, but they got there in time to be able to make treatment and transport choices. BTW, he works in a different county, not the one where they live, so he has no connection to the ones who responded at his house.

I think all 911 services nationally need to upgrade so they are all able to locate where a call is coming from. Naturally since it's a government service, people need to be willing to pay higher local taxes (even property taxes) in order to get it done.

*She did have the sense to call her sister who lives 2 minutes away. She knew once she got on the phone with emergency services they would keep her on. She just told her sister "Get over here now", then hung up. Her sister also had the sense to not question it, and went there immediately. She was able to take our oldest grandson while the helicopter took his mom.

I've called 911 from my cell several times. No problems. I don't worry about it. Landlines are a hassle.

At this point, it would cost us a fortune to reinstall one because I ripped out all the phone wiring after we had been off landlines for awhile. Old house so it was all on the outside running along the floorboards and so forth. It took me all day and I bagged up three large garbage bags of the stuff.

I also like the convenience of not having to screen calls, very few people have my cell phone number,

This is me.  I just don't want anyone being able to get ahold of me all the time.  And I don't like the expectation that it creates that they should be able to get ahold of me whenever, because I have a cell phone.

• Like 1

My cell phone is often low on battery and usually left in the console of my car because I don't always remember to (or want to) bring it inside.  I prefer to use it on my terms; I hate people texting me! They seem to expect me to drop everything and respond or carry on a conversation.  (Or maybe that's just my perception - either way it's an interruption I've grown to really despise!) This is my primary desire to keep a landline.

And I do have some concern about an emergency call to 911. We have extended family come and stay intermittently for various lengths of times (sometimes months) and I feel more comfortable that 911 can find us from the landline than from a bunch of people speaking broken pidgen English trying to explain where the house is and what their emergency is!

I do pay about $60/month for the landline but I don't see it as optional for us. I count it same as water, gas and a/c. :D

This is me. I just don't want anyone being able to get ahold of me all the time. And I don't like the expectation that it creates that they should be able to get ahold of me whenever, because I have a cell phone.

That's why we have the landline Through the web for $5 a year. It's the "junk" phone line.

I'm liberal with my cell number for friends but the rest get

the landline number.