Menu

There's still women who don't know based on signs in bathrooms...

unsinkable

Because I don't necessarily believe something just because people provide online links.  I too grew up flushing tampons, lived under (lol) several city waste management systems, and I've never heard anything directly from any city to NOT do so. If it were such an issue, wouldn't a notice be included in the monthly bill?

Okay, so why don't you ask your plumber or, next time you're on a municipal system, your waste management company directly? In fact, why don't we all do that? It would no doubt be interesting to hear what they say.

• Like 1

I grew up being taught by the women in my life and by advertising that it was okay to flush the tampons.

Getting a nasty attitude toward people who don't know that apparently it's not good for the system isn't so helpful. The only reason I know - seriously - is that this is like the third WTM thread in this vein that I've read. And in most of them, people have been a bit ticked off and incredulous that anyone would be such an ignoramus not to know this. But many of us were told for years and years that it *was* okay. Advertising continues to tell us. For most people, there's never been a reason to re-evaluate that position. I've never had a house plumbing issue arising from tampons and I flushed them for years and years. So educate, don't act like you can't believe we don't know. How often do you re-evaluate long held habits that were taught to you as the right way to do something? And in how many places do people have open conversations about this topic in particular? It's not that weird that people don't know this.

Again, if this is directed toward me...I don't care that people don't know that nothing besides bodily fluids and TP should be flushed (well, I do, because preventing problems is easy, but that's not the point  ATM). My point is that I can't believe that someone can be told "Hey, XYZ that you do is a problem. Maybe not for you, but for these other people/systems. But avoiding that is easy. Here's how...(in the topic of this thread, wrap tampon in TP and throw away)." And after hearing this from multiple people/sources, say "who cares...it's never been a problem for me so I will continue to do what I've done in the past."

As such as attitude is hard for me to believe/understand, I asked for explanations. Also, fwiw, I am relatively new to this forum. I don't believe I've ever read a thread on this topic, here or on other forums. 

• Like 3

Again, if this is directed toward me...I don't care that people don't know that nothing besides bodily fluids and TP should be flushed (well, I do, because preventing problems is easy, but that's not the point  ATM). My point is that I can't believe that someone can be told "Hey, XYZ that you do is a problem. Maybe not for you, but for these other people/systems. But avoiding that is easy. Here's how...(in the topic of this thread, wrap tampon in TP and throw away)." And after hearing this from multiple people/sources, say "who cares...it's never been a problem for me so I will continue to do what I've done in the past."

As such as attitude is hard for me to believe/understand, I asked for explanations. Also, fwiw, I am relatively new to this forum. I don't believe I've ever read a thread on this topic, here or on other forums. 

The very premise of the thread is that it's confusing that anyone wouldn't know this by now. There were a LOT of posts with that attitude.

• Like 4

The very premise of the thread is that it's confusing that anyone wouldn't know this by now. There were a LOT of posts with that attitude.

But once a woman reads the sign, then she knows, right?

So if I've been seeing these signs in my town for decades, what does that mean?

There is nothing "nasty" about this conversation.

• Like 1

I don't get the attitude either. 

If this is supposed to be common knowledge and if tampons are so awful for municipal treatment, why are we not getting notices in our water bill telling us. Why isn't there a warning on the tampon box, like warnings on cigarette packs. 

When I my first apartment, I got a lecture from a plumber and what I could put in a kitchen sink disposal, which was weird because I used the apartment disposal the same way I had used my parents disposal growing up. I have never had a plumber say only tp in the toilet. 

So, this issue isn't common knowledge and the main sources of information about this issue are not broadcasting that it is a problem. 

• Like 11

I grew up being taught by the women in my life and by advertising that it was okay to flush the tampons.

Getting a nasty attitude toward people who don't know that apparently it's not good for the system isn't so helpful. The only reason I know - seriously - is that this is like the third WTM thread in this vein that I've read. And in most of them, people have been a bit ticked off and incredulous that anyone would be such an ignoramus not to know this. But many of us were told for years and years that it *was* okay. Advertising continues to tell us. For most people, there's never been a reason to re-evaluate that position. I've never had a house plumbing issue arising from tampons and I flushed them for years and years. So educate, don't act like you can't believe we don't know. How often do you re-evaluate long held habits that were taught to you as the right way to do something? And in how many places do people have open conversations about this topic in particular? It's not that weird that people don't know this.

Exactly.
  • Like 2

As someone who until relatively recently didn't know, the "what's wrong with people" attitude definitely feels a little rude. You're right that "nasty" is probably too far, but really I don't think there's any reason that anyone should know. There's never, to my knowledge, been a campaign to let people know. Many women grew up being told it was fine to flush. And the advertising often tells or implies that it's okay to flush tampons (I've also never heard of anyone who thinks it's okay to flush a pad... I mean, some of those things have plastic on them for goodness sake so I think that's off the table, but many people still flush tampons.)

Sure, I've seen those signs, just like people with septic systems ask people not to flush tampons. I thought it was just a preference. The signs aren't universal sounding. In fact, many of the homemade ones make it sound like the issue is specific to the plumbing at the site. I've seen several that say something like, "Our system can't handle feminine waste products," which makes it sound like the building specifically has had issues, not like it's always wrong.

• Like 10

There is exactly one public restroom that I use that has a sign (not a store or restaurant, not very many people use this bathroom). It's the only place I've ever seen a sign like that.
  • Like 1

As someone who until relatively recently didn't know, the "what's wrong with people" attitude definitely feels a little rude. You're right that "nasty" is probably too far, but really I don't think there's any reason that anyone should know. There's never, to my knowledge, been a campaign to let people know. Many women grew up being told it was fine to flush. And the advertising often tells or implies that it's okay to flush tampons (I've also never heard of anyone who thinks it's okay to flush a pad... I mean, some of those things have plastic on them for goodness sake so I think that's off the table, but many people still flush tampons.)

Sure, I've seen those signs, just like people with septic systems ask people not to flush tampons. I thought it was just a preference. The signs aren't universal sounding. In fact, many of the homemade ones make it sound like the issue is specific to the plumbing at the site. I've seen several that say something like, "Our system can't handle feminine waste products," which makes it sound like the building specifically has had issues, not like it's always wrong.

I don't know have a "what's wrong with people?" attitude.

And I'm not being rude.

• Like 1

The thread title definitely reads "how can people not know this." I don't know how else to read it.

ETA: I don't think it's intentionally rude necessarily. Sometimes I approach something thinking, gee, how can these people know know _____. But then it turns out there are good reasons why people don't share my understanding. And going into it with the attitude that everyone should just know something is not super helpful in general. The signs just aren't as universal, clear, or informative as all that for people who were taught that certain plumbing systems need special treatment but that in general it's okay to flush tampons. And a LOT of people were told that when they started using tampons.

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 2

I've always read the signs as 'the pipes connected to this toilet can't handle feminine products' . And many do say that explicitly. I don't think I've ever seen one posted to say 'for the good of municipal sewer management, never flush any feminine waste products'!

In other words, I've read those signs in bathrooms as a situational request, not general words to live by.

Not trying to argue , really. Trying to answer the OP.

Edited by poppy
  • Like 11

The thread title definitely reads "how can people not know this." I don't know how else to read it.

You're reading something that isn't there.

It's a fact that women don't know it, based on the fact that there are signs in bathrooms.

It's not nasty or rude or any other negative adjective.

• Like 2

I've always read the signs as 'the pipes connected to this toilet can't handle feminine products' . And many do say that explicitly. I don't think I've ever seen one posted to say 'for the good of municipal sewer management, never flush any feminine waste products'!

In other words, I've read those signs in bathrooms as a situational request, not general words to live by.

That makes sense.

• Like 1

Although my girls and I don't use tampons, our town water(small town-lived there 16 years)never once asked us not to flush them.  I do know to never flush when on a septic.  I have known that all my life.  I do see signs occasionally, but not regularly.  I live in the Midwest(not sure that matters).

I just googled the question and found out something interesting. Most tampon companies do not address this question at all on their FAQs.

The only one that does answer the question is Kotex, and they give three answers: Don't flush, don't flush unless it's specially labelled a biodegradeable tampon, don't flush unless the plumbing is newer. Given that the supposed flushability of tampons is definitely a selling point, I find the fact that they can't give a positive "Yes, go ahead and flush 'em!" to be very telling. Once you add in your grain of salt, the picture becomes more clearly "No, you can't."

• Like 1

I would assume that signs in specific buildings are in fact there to protect the plumbing systems of those buildings, not the municipal sewer treatment plants. I simply don't expect building proprietors to be so concerned for the municipality; any benefit there is a derivative of self-interest.

This board (prior to this thread) is the only place I have ever heard that tampons should not be flushed; I am not at all surprised that others have not heard so.

• Like 7

I just googled the question and found out something interesting. Most tampon companies do not address this question at all on their FAQs.

The only one that does answer the question is Kotex, and they give three answers: Don't flush, don't flush unless it's specially labelled a biodegradeable tampon, don't flush unless the plumbing is newer. Given that the supposed flushability of tampons is definitely a selling point, I find the fact that they can't give a positive "Yes, go ahead and flush 'em!" to be very telling. Once you add in your grain of salt, the picture becomes more clearly "No, you can't."

Hahahaha! I was just looking on the o.b. site and couldn't find any info on flushing or disposal.

I have lived in over 15 houses and on two continents.  Never had a problem.

When I am out, and restaurant or place has a sign, I have always thought it was meant for that one place.  Not all pipes or sewers. 

And I have never heard of it being an issue, or talked about it being an issue except for here, on these boards, from a small group of people.  

I've never had it in info from the towns, or water departments when setting up accounts.  It was never mentioned on water treatment tours.  

Only here.

• Like 8

Hahahaha! I was just looking on the o.b. site and couldn't find any info on flushing or disposal.

Unsurprising. And you'll notice the comments on the Kotex site are all "No, seriously, don't".

I get that a lot of people don't know about this. We are socialized not to talk much about our periods, and tampon companies definitely have promoted that their products can be flushed. But if you're hearing about it now, I really urge you to do some more research rather than saying "Hasn't been a problem yet, so I'll keep on doing it".

• Like 1

And I have never heard of it being an issue, or talked about it being an issue except for here, on these boards, from a small group of people.

People say that about many subjects. I always wonder how much weight to give that statement.

I've had this experience with other things throughout my life, where I find that something I hear referred to constantly and consider "common knowledge" is unknown by some people or, alternatively, that lots of people consider something to be common knowledge that I've literally never heard before. Or, embarrassingly, I simply think I've never heard it before, but once I actually notice it I find that it's been all around and I'm suffering from a recency illusion. I've been burned so many times by this that now I try not to assume that something unknown to me is, therefore, a small or unimportant topic.

At any rate, whether or not you are familiar with this subject has no bearing on whether or not the statement "don't flush tampons" has any validity.

I poked around on our municipal water treatment website, and there's no mention of it there. LOTS of stuff about not putting grease down the drain (and there are billboards around the city about that too), but nothing about tampons.

I went ahead and emailed the NYC DEP. Given that it's the weekend after Thanksgiving, I doubt I'll get a reply until next week, but if/when I do I'll be sure to keep everybody posted.

Edited by Tanaqui

I too took the thread title to mean something it didn't, apparently.

Obviously the OP didn't use the word idiot or obtuse to describe women in the title, but that's the general sentiment that I got from it.

Interestingly, in the OP, the implication was for a specific bathroom which has a sign, not a universal mandate not to flush tampons.

I'm someone who watched a dirty jobs or similar show a long time ago, and I did know that water treatment folks had to deal with some...awful...stuff.  But it was also kind of like "that's part of the job" sort of thing, not "don't flush this specific thing".

• Like 3

Not flushing tampons or any feminine hygiene product was standard advice in just about every article about periods in Seventeen, YM, and whatever the other girl's magazines were called. At least in the 90s. Also, the ubiquitous "This embarrassing thing happened to me" column usually had a toilet back up story due to the girl flushing said products.

I'm 33 and thought this was standard knowledge. I can't recall a commercial or ad that encouraged flushing. It's so interesting how different peoples experiences are.....but please, if you come to my house-Do not flush your tampon!

• Like 2

I was a teen in the 1980s and was taught to flush used cotton tampons, but not applicators or pads.  My dad is a master pipefitter, and has never mentioned these being a problem.  Any toilet clogs we've had over the years were not related to feminine hygiene products.  DH had to remove a toilet to unclog it once in the past 8 years, and I've only used my diva for a good 10 years.  I took water resources classes in college, and in our wastewater treatment courses we were never told about a problem with tampons - not even when we visited a large municipal treatment plant.  I am personally friendly with the guy responsible for our local small municipal treatment plant - he likes that I'm willing to talk about his job with him - and he has never mentioned a problem.  Any signs in particular buildings I've taken to mean they have old plumbing that can't handle it - specific to the building, not the entire system.  I've even had inner city kids staying here put their TP in the trashcan because their plumbing at home can't even handle that - they had to be taught to flush TP here; to think that because their plumbing can't handle TP means we should never flush TP would be a leap of logic.

The tone of a couple of the posts in this thread was scolding, rude, and offensive.

Edited by Amy in NH
  • Like 5

Okay, so why don't you ask your plumber or, next time you're on a municipal system, your waste management company directly? In fact, why don't we all do that? It would no doubt be interesting to hear what they say.

Actually, I have had this discussion with a couple of plumbers. Both have said you really shouldn't put anything but human waste down them, and even that can be too much at times... They do not even put tp down theirs; it goes in the garbage also. Yep. think on that.  Garbage disposal? No cereal, noodles, meats...Pretty much just small quantities of veggies. That. is. all. I don't necessarily follow their rules, especially the tp one.

Garbage disposal? No cereal, noodles, meats...Pretty much just small quantities of veggies. That. is. all.

Oh, I have no idea what to do with garbage disposals. Like most New Yorkers, we don't have one. They were actually illegal here until fairly recently, and most people think they still ARE illegal! And lots and lots of buildings have it in their lease that you aren't supposed to put one in.

Edited by Tanaqui

You're reading something that isn't there.

It's a fact that women don't know it, based on the fact that there are signs in bathrooms.

It's not nasty or rude or any other negative adjective.

FWIW, I thought there were signs in pretty much every public rest room that said not to flush any feminine products down the toilet.

I was surprised to read the posts from people who don't see those signs all the time.

I didn't think this thread was intended to be rude at all, but maybe that's because I'm one of the people who sees the signs all the time. I honestly thought it was common knowledge.

I had no idea that this would be a thread that would get unpleasant. It's kind of amazing that anyone is taking offense about whether or not they should flush tampons.

(Edited for typos!)

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 2

FWIW, I thought there were signs in pretty much every public rest room that said not to flush any feminine products down the toilet.

I was surprised to read the posts from people who don't see those signs all the time.

I didn't think this thread was intended to be rude at all, but maybe that's because I'm one of the people who sees the signs all the time. I honestly thought it was common knowledge.

I had no idea that this would be a thread that would get unpleasant. It's kind of amazing that anyone is taking offense about whether or not they should flush tampons.

The offense isn't about whether or not one should do it - the offense is in the tone of some of the posts.

• Like 4

The offense isn't about whether or not one should do it - the offense is in the tone of some of the posts.

I'm not reading anything particularly offensive in the tone of the posts. Some people seem to have strong opinions, but I don't think anyone is being intentionally insulting.

Personally, my feeling is that it's just tampons and people should lighten up about it and not take offense at someone chiding them about it, whether it is someone saying not to flush them or whether it's someone saying it's fine to flush them.

It just doesn't seem like a big enough deal to get upset about.

• Like 1

Actually, I have had this discussion with a couple of plumbers. Both have said you really shouldn't put anything but human waste down them, and even that can be too much at times... They do not even put tp down theirs; it goes in the garbage also. Yep. think on that.

That's the norm in China

• Like 2

There was an article about meds found in urban water supplies...from people flushing meds! I used to do that. I got into trouble once (rightly so) for throwing out prescription meds in the trash--the bag broke open in our alley, and the meds were out there for kids to find. So, how ARE they supposed to be disposed of?

Many police departments of community organizations have take-back programs for drugs. Some have a permanent box, others have periodic events. Ask around.

In other civilized countries, patients can return unused meds to any pharmacy for proper disposal. One more area where this country is behind.

• Like 1

There only thing that bothers me about this thread is that the title should read "There are still women who don't know. . ." :leaving:

FWIW, I knew and have taught it to my dd.

Yeah, I caught that a while after I posted.

Oops.

Edited bc autocorrect was wrong

Edited by unsinkable

Garbage disposal? No cereal, noodles, meats...Pretty much just small quantities of veggies. That. is. all.

I was going to ask about garbage disposals... how did the idea come about that people should chop and flush their garbage, to go into the sewer system where it has to be removed in the water treatment plant? Is it really that much work to put food waste into a compost bin?

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 5

Never had this problem and I don't know anyone who has. Maybe it's the area I live in. I don't know anyone who's ever had a sewer back up. My sister and i flushed tampons growing up. My parents have been in that house 40 years without a sewer back up. 

You'd think this would have been an issue in college dorms, but we were never told not to do this. 

I've never seen any PSA from my water company telling us not to do this. You'd think if it were a big problem at the water treatment plant they'd want to educate the public not to do this. 

My dh works at a municipal wastewater plant. He's a civil engineer.

The system IS designed to handle this stuff. They have screens and grinders that filter out this stuff. It's still gross,  but it is strained out and then burned or discarded.

The problem is having it MAKE it to the pump station/treatment plant. See those things don't break apart. They can snag on stuff and cause problems.

So if it actually makes it out of your household plumbing, it can hang up on a tree root in the service line between the house and the sewer line.  Causing a huge backup that IS NOT THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE WATER DEPARTMENT TO MANAGE! After it gets to the main line in the road, it may not be a big issue if it's a larger line, but if it's a narrower one, it can.

The biggest problem the water department has right now in our area are those so called "flushable" wipes. Even the ones that say they are flushable DO NOT BREAK APART. They wrap around the pumps and other equipment and make massive mounds in the tanks that have to be strained out. Those things are awful.

Edited by fairfarmhand
  • Like 5

I haven't used tampons in a long time, but I was taught (at birds-and-bees time) that tampons are designed to be flushed, and that it's fine unless otherwise-signed (ie septic systems).

:iagree: Same here.

Anyway, at our former homeschool co-op, the signs in the ladies bathroom read "Please flush only toilet paper." I always wondered if they expected us to pee or poo on the floor or in the trashcans.

yeah, my literal, black&white thinking brain always cringed at that one.

• Like 4

If this were common knowledge, there wouldn't be signs up. People TRY to educate the public, but the public is slow to learn. If people understood, they wouldn't need machines to deal with it at the other end. Some people still argue because they either truly don't believe it's a problem or because they just want to do what's easier for them. Some will never change. Some will change when they have a plumbing issue that requires their yard to be dug up at their expense. Since it's absolutely unenforceable, there will always be people who flush anyway whether they know better or not.

I had no idea how big a problem this was until I did a waste water treatment plant tour with the cub scouts. That field trip scarred me for life. It was nasty. There were plastic applicators all over the ground because people flush those too. Birds see them, think they are fish, retrieve them from the tanks, and drop them on the ground when they realize they are not fish. Scarred for LIFE.

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 3

I've been using OB tampons for years. My current box insert says in the instruction for removing the tampon, "Then, just flush it or toss it away. But make sure not to flush tampons or wrappers in septic tanks. And that's that!"

I do wonder if OB as more biodegradable than other brands, and that's all I got to say about that. :coolgleamA:  

• Like 4

Don't feel too bad for the wastewater treatment plant guys, on the tour I was on they mentioned pulling money and even a diamond ring out of the strainers. Apparently his SO was ok with that.

I agree that I was feeling totally shamed by not knowing this before now. I'll be sure to pass this knowledge on to the next generation.

Edited by SusanC

The National Association of Clean Water Agencies has a campaign called "Toilets are Not Trashcans."

http://www.nacwa.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1581&Itemid=335

"NACWA's Toilets Are Not Trashcans campaign is focused on protecting the pipes, pumps, plants, and personnel of wastewater utilities across the nation by reducing the materials that are inappropriately flushed or drained into the sewer system. Products such as wipes, paper towels, feminine hygiene products should not be flushed but often are, causing expensive problems for utilities. Other consumer products contain ingredients, such as plastic microbeads and triclosan, may harm water quality and the environment. FOG (fats, oils, and greases) and unused pharmaceuticals should also be kept out of the sewer system."

I like FOG...fats, oils, greases.

Edited by unsinkable

I was taught growing up to flush them, but I  have known not to for some time - i don't use them any more though anyway.

The guys at our plant hate the wipes.

We didn't used to have a plant - the sewage went right into the harbour.  The beach was littered with applicators.  Totally gross.

I also find garbage disposals odd.  People here don't use them.  I don't see the point at all.