Menu

What size is your community?

athomeontheprairie

203 members have voted

1. 1. What size is your community

• More than 25,000
    • less than 24,999

Attended a workshop where a statistic was presented... Curious to see what how this plays out with the Hive.

ETA to clarify:
For the purpose of this poll, your immediate town. (Use the city in your address if you don't live in a town) For those of you that live next door to a major city-that doesn't count, use the city you reside in.

Significantly less than 25,000 here.

I doubt this goes along with your poll but where I live the population is about 8000. However we are 15 minutes from a city of 35,000 and another of 300,000. We have a lot of that small town feel but it feels completely different than where my parents live, population about 21,000 but no other towns of any size within 30 minutes.

Around 800. The closest major town is 26K. I roll my eyes at all the ridiculous small town references in Gilmore Girls because its supposedly tiny town has a population of 10K, which is five times the size of the town where I grew up and is considerably bigger than almost all the towns in my hometown's surrounding counties.

• Like 1

The tiny little incorporated place I technically and barely live in has less than 15,000.  But I live in a major urban area with a population of nearly 10,000,000 in the metro area. My county has over a million people. I walk outside of my incorporated area daily and drive and take public transportation all over the metro area every week. So how are we defining community? :)

My township is around 5,000 people.  The county I live in is around 500,000 and the town I work in, which is the largest in the county and only 10 minutes from my house, has a population of around 55,000.    My county is less than 500 square miles.  It's also evidently in the top 10 wealthiest counties in the US.  The things you learn from Wikipedia.  :D

What I always find strange is people talking about having to drive a long way to the next town.  Around here the towns are pretty much on top of each other and you really can't tell where one starts and the next ends except unless they put up a sign.   

We live in the largest major city in our area, so it has a nice, small town feel to it.

I had to look it up, then delete my original vote because my guesstimate was wrong; it's actually about 27,000.

I just had to find this info. out for filling out 4-H forms. 

ETA: Perfect size for me. Not too big, not too small. We have Costco and few other larger city stores that are nice to have, lots of parks and activities for kids, etc, but there's still a town feel here too. 

The results of this clearly very scientific poll are rather interesting to me. He reported that 80% of the American population lives in communities smaller than 25,000 people. While that may be (I want to go hunt around for his statistics), I was curious to see how this board would fare.

There's over 25,000 people in my unincorporated area.

About 450,000 in the valley (not "the valley", a different valley) where all the smaller towns are part of one city. We all share a parks and rec department, libraries, etc.

Less than 30 miles from the 2nd largest city in the country.

10.2 million people in our county.

The results of this clearly very scientific poll are rather interesting to me. He reported that 80% of the American population lives in communities smaller than 25,000 people. While that may be (I want to go hunt around for his statistics), I was curious to see how this board would fare.

That makes me wonder how they were defining "community."  For people in larger areas and suburbs, their "community" might be their neighborhood (there are some very large neighborhoods around the suburbs of Atlanta, for example).  Other people might consider their county to be their community.  I went with my town.  I think the word "community" can be rather vague.

• Like 1

I have no idea how many people my actual town has.  I don't think it is significant, though, because for any real-life purposes, we are part of the whole metropolis of about 2 million people.   Nobody I know draws lines and doesn't go over them for almost every purpose, every day--shopping, work, church, sports, play, parks...... all are more likely to be in any other city of the 20 or so within half an hour than in my own bedroom community.

The closest village is 3 km away. it has less than 100. The street I live in has les than 15 people,  6 residences.

The closest town is 20 minutes drive, it has 1000 people.

the closest small city is 100 km away, it has 11,000 people. It is where I go for shopping and taking twins to psychologist every 3 weeks or so

• Like 2

Around 800. The closest major town is 26K. I roll my eyes at all the ridiculous small town references in Gilmore Girls because its supposedly tiny town has a population of 10K, which is five times the size of the town where I grew up and is considerably bigger than almost all the towns in my hometown's surrounding counties.

Oh, I don't think that's a fair comparison!  If my town is only 200, then I should be annoyed if people in towns of 1,000 consider themselves small? Lol.

I grew up in a town of 15,000 and still consider it a small town, with much more of a stereotypical "small town feel" than we have here.

Oh, I don't think that's a fair comparison! If my town is only 200, then I should be annoyed if people in towns of 1,000 consider themselves small? Lol.

I grew up in a town of 15,000 and still consider it a small town, with much more of a stereotypical "small town feel" than we have here.

It's the "aw, shucks, we're so small and quaint" exaggerations and stereotypes that annoy me.

My suburb has around 6,000.  

Although there is some discrepancy as to where I actually live.   The neighbors on all 4 sides of me live in the suburb, but the previous owners refused to sign the paperwork 12 years ago, so officially I am still in the unincorporated county area.  That area has 12,000.  

What does it mean to not be "official?"  Nothing, other than I don't have to pay city taxes to the city I technically don't belong to.  Oh and there is some hoity toity park that I can't get a parking pass to because the guy who runs it says ONLY those who are registered with this elite city get to have access.  I honestly don't care and find it funny.

Well, the census doesn't bear that out

https://ask.census.gov/faq.php?id=5000&faqId=5971

How many people reside in urban or rural areas for the 2010 Census? What percentage of the U.S. population is urban or rural?

The urban areas of the United States for the 2010 Census contain 249,253,271 people, representing 80.7% of the population, and rural areas contain 59,492,276 people, or 19.3% of the population.

In Puerto Rico, 3,493,256 people, or 93.8% of the population, reside in urban areas, and 232,533 people, or 6.2% of the population, reside in rural areas.

In the Island Areas, 92.6% of the population, 347,487 people, live in urban areas, and 7.4% or the population, 27,678 people, live in rural areas.

For additional information about urban and rural areas please see our website.

So, I would want to know how your speaker defines "community" and compare it to how the census defines 'urban' and 'rural'

But that is a pretty big disparity between the two. 

• Like 2

How many people reside in urban or rural areas for the 2010 Census? What percentage of the U.S. population is urban or rural?

The urban areas of the United States for the 2010 Census contain 249,253,271 people, representing 80.7% of the population, and rural areas contain 59,492,276 people, or 19.3% of the population.

So, I would want to know how your speaker defines "community" and compare it to how the census defines 'urban' and 'rural'

But that is a pretty big disparity between the two. 

Well assuming the urban and rural are defined at the 25,000 mark, I would wonder if the guy got his numbers flipped because they are pretty much exactly the same otherwise.

• Like 1