Menu

What size is your community?

athomeontheprairie

203 members have voted

1. 1. What size is your community

• More than 25,000
    • less than 24,999

Re: Census

The Census defines "rural area" as an area under 2,500 people, as seen in one of the first links posted.

People living in urban clusters - areas with between 2,500 and 50,000 people, where at least 1,500 are not living in institutionalized group quarters - comprise 9.5% of the population. The census does not deign to define "institutionalized group quarters" for us, but I'm thinking that most people living in those are either college students, members of the armed forces, or prisoners.

People living in urbanized areas - places with >50,000 people - comprise 71.2% of the population.

So you can see that even if we discard urban clusters from consideration, the US is still a heavily urbanized nation.

• Like 2

My city has a population, as of 2011, of 390095.

However, many people here really consider themselves to be a member of a smaller area, as the city is a very large amalgamated municiple area.  It consists of what used to be three smaller cities, as well as several rural areas.

So, I live in what was once of the smaller cities, which has a population of 67, 573.  (Actually, the area I live in was in the past a village which was absorbed by the growth of the smaller city, it used to be all farms, and my great-grandmother grew up on one.  It became sububanized in the 1950's)

Our close in suburban city is 30Kish or so but we aren't "near" other cities. The cities/towns run edge to edge. Every thing is incorporated and we are very much a part of a county of 2+ million people, less than 10 minutes from a city of 650K (driving through 2 other even closer in burbs.) We have to leave this particular city/incorporated area almost daily for classes, recreation, medical care and other services. We can get groceries here, hike, use the parks and library and run a few errands here but for most things we either need to or choose to leave this city. My community and the services we use extend all over this county and a good part of the next.

There are some people living in my immediate area whose "city" is under 25k but with some rare exceptions none of those people are living in a small town.

I voted based on the closest county(about 15-20 to get to the edge of this area), which is 40k, my actual address is of a town that is officially not where I live but we are between towns on a rural highway, my official address is a town of 350. However, I'm actually physically located in a "town" that has since grown so small that it lost the post office and designation as a town. The closest big city at 2hrs away to the edge is 300k for the city proper.

The township I live in has 2530 people according to the 2010 census.  The small town where our postal address comes from is 1523.  The township is larger due to having a larger area and some housing developments in it for commuters.  We still live in the rural part.

15 - 20 minutes away is the larger town where we do a bit of our shopping and some of our dining.  That has 15,365 and is as big as I like.  Even then, after a day or night in town, we like getting home.

For us, our location is pretty darn close to as perfect as it gets - nice and quiet at home, yet close enough to "stuff" to not have a long drive.

My actual city is 33,000. The area we live in does just continue into the next town, but there are parts that go into farmland. It could be considered a far outlying suburb of Chicago, because the commuter rail line does come out this far, but there's much more history to the area than just being part of urban sprawl. The inner ring suburb I grew up in technically only had 22,000 people, but I feel claustrophobic when I go back there because the population density is much higher.

About 43,000. In the 45 years since my family came here the population has changed very little. It was around 35,000 when we moved here. It goes up and down depending on what's currently happening with the space program, but to my knowledge has never gone over 50k.

While there isn't much in my city, we're 30 minutes from the eastern most parts of Orlando, less than an hour to the theme parks, and about 45 minutes from Daytona Beach. 

I voted the smaller.

But that's not necessarily accurate. When I was a kid, we mainly stayed in my smallish town all the time. Library, school, grocery shopping, etc. was all right there, convenient whether you lived inside the official city limits (my family did) or just outside of them (my boyfriend's parents), same zip code, same post office, everything. We might have occasionally gone to a larger town for shopping for something big like an appliance, but largely, our town had everything we needed, and most of our friends had the same zip code. So I'd say that our community was the size of our town, and I think it was bigger than 25,000.

Now, we live just outside a tiny little town, the borough where our post office is located. Population of that borough is under 1000. My township (slightly bigger in population than the borough) isn't part of the borough, but we all use the same school and PO, and other townships use the school also. Neither the borough nor our township have a library or full grocery store. We routinely travel to one of the other nearby townships or boroughs, so that makes our community significantly larger than 25,000. Just depends on how you calculate community.

The general area where I live is about 100,000. My community is a development kind of in the country. I grew up in a town with a population of approximately 1800 people. My county had about 5,000. The big towns of about 10,000 were about half an hour away. The nearest city, about 100,000 was an hour and a half away.

I have no idea what to consider my town. I live outside DC. I'm not in a city.

The closest city is listed at 143,000. My county is 1.13 million. The greater DC area (which I would initially consider my community, I travel in and out of DC regularly, DH works in DC its a 20 minute commute) is 6 million.

Under 25,000 just seems unimaginably tiny.