Menu

Please don't name your h.s. "Lastname Academy"

Okay, I know I'm just asking for trouble with such a controversial statement, but I can't help myself.

My DH teaches a math at the post-secondary level and is applying to a bunch of places for a new position. Despite all his education since high school, almost every place still wants him to list where he went to high school. Since he was homeschooled and it was Lastname Academy, we cringe every time we have to do it.

I know there's less prejudice now against homeschoolers than in the past, but particularly in the field of education, we worry that someone might hold it against him. I don't really have anything to back this up with, because no one has ever actually said anything outright...I'm kind of hoping they don't pay attention over the high school education fields since it's not relevant anyway.

There was one time where the guy in charge of a department repeated the name of his homeschool very succinctly, paused, and said, "Huh." Later in the interview, he suggested DH enroll in the Peace Corps so he could "see more of the world" before pursuing the job he was applying for. :confused1: I guess he thought he needed more socialization.

I just feel like if the name sounded like a private school, there would be less of a chance that someone would pass him over for someone else, all other things being equal. Maybe I'm being paranoid.

• Like 7

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That seems strange that anyone would care about high school if he has a Bachelor, Masters and possibly a Doctorate degree to list. I haven't included my high school on a resume in decades, and never been asked. There are so many more important things to include.

• Like 20

My son's Saturday class is hosted at a Christian school who's name ends with Academy. There are a few other private schools named that way.

I'm assuming you mean it is the Lastname part of the school name that is telling that your husband is homeschooled.

Good luck to your husband.

To me, Lastname Academy sounds like a private school. In fact, this is what I (unofficially) use now..

I think it depends on your last name. Lastname Academy might make it seem like you are the school founder's descendants.

ETA:

I just wrote CityName ... Academy when I filed the private school affidavit. Sounds common and similar enough to local B&M private schools. It can be changed anyway.

To me, Lastname Academy sounds like a private school.  In fact, this is what I (unofficially) use now.

OP, what would you prefer?  Not criticizing, just curious.

It might sound more like a private school if the name wasn't the same as the applicant's. Perhaps a better option would be using the last name of someone the family admires. Jefferson Academy, Alcott Academy, Curie Academy, etc... 

(Presuming the family wants to use the "Lastname Academy" format... There are, of course, other options.)

• Like 3

It might sound more like a private school if the name wasn't the same as the applicant's. Perhaps a better option would be using the last name of someone the family admires. Jefferson Academy, Alcott Academy, Curie Academy, etc... 

(Presuming the family wants to use the "Lastname Academy" format... There are, of course, other options.)

:iagree:  This is why we went with Prairie Academy, not Lastname Academy. For high school, I ended up switching to Prairie High School as that is even more generic.

When applying to colleges, there is no way to hide the fact of being homeschoolers, nor would we want to. However, out in the working world I think a name that implies something more generic is a good thing.

• Like 2

We don't use lastname academy, but I don't understand the interviewer's problem. As a pp mentioned, also on the resume were undergrad and higher degrees, right? If an adult has spent at least eight years in the big wide world, with internships, jobs, and probably travel alongside his university experience, would that not compensate for a sheltered childhood if he was indeed sheltered?

• Like 11

Okay, I know I'm just asking for trouble with such a controversial statement, but I can't help myself.

My DH teaches a math at the post-secondary level and is applying to a bunch of places for a new position. Despite all his education since high school, almost every place still wants him to list where he went to high school. Since he was homeschooled and it was Lastname Academy, we cringe every time we have to do it.

I know there's less prejudice now against homeschoolers than in the past, but particularly in the field of education, we worry that someone might hold it against him. I don't really have anything to back this up with, because no one has ever actually said anything outright...I'm kind of hoping they don't pay attention over the high school education fields since it's not relevant anyway.

There was one time where the guy in charge of a department repeated the name of his homeschool very succinctly, paused, and said, "Huh." Later in the interview, he suggested DH enroll in the Peace Corps so he could "see more of the world" before pursuing the job he was applying for. :confused1: I guess he thought he needed more socialization.

I just feel like if the name sounded like a private school, there would be less of a chance that someone would pass him over for someone else, all other things being equal. Maybe I'm being paranoid.

I have always recommended that people NOT do Lastname Academy.

• Like 4

What do you recommend instead?

Anything else. Even the name of your street (unless it's a funky name, lol). Something that sounds more professional. A friend named hers after a woman she admired (Cameron Academy); my umbrella school was Plantation Christian School, after Psalm 1:1-3 (I imagined each family to be a little plantation, growing their children to be strong...).

• Like 2

My ds has always just told people he was homeschooled when asked about where he went to high school. I think it is easier to just be direct than give a school name. I used my super-awesome maiden name plus Classical Homeschool on his transcript and diploma. After working his way through college in Tokyo and interning at the U.S.Embassy, being homeschooled is just an interesting footnote.

• Like 10

What do you recommend instead?

Anything but Lastname Academy.  As someone else suggested, using the last name of an admired person is one way to go.  We did a geographical feature.  You can do a street name or city name.  That sort of thing.

I do, however, state that our school is a homeschool when it makes a difference--for example, when applying to colleges.  

• Like 2

Anything else. Even the name of your street (unless it's a funky name, lol). Something that sounds more professional. A friend named hers after a woman she admired (Cameron Academy); my umbrella school was Plantation Christian School, after Psalm 1:1-3 (I imagined each family to be a little plantation, growing their children to be strong...).

In other words, you're suggesting I be creative. ;)

Time to brainstorm...

Street name -- I don't like; Town name -- I don't like;  Maiden name -- I don't like...   Trees -- ds is allergic to all of them  (of course, then he could say that he truly is allergic to school :)  )

• Like 6

If my parents had called our homeschool LastName Academy, it wouldn't have necessarily revealed I was homeschooled because my maiden name is the same as a city near where I grew up.  But they didn't name our homeschool.  And so I have always just written "homeschooled."  It has never been an issue.

• Like 2

Thank you for sharing your perspective, OP.

I allowed DD to name our homeschool, and if we decide to go the whole way through (and not transfer to a local charter at the last minute for the "paper," I may need to consider a name change.  I suspect that "Rivendell Academy" may have the same issues as does "Lastname Academy." ;)

• Like 2

Just want to give you a heads up that just giving a name won't likely solve all your issues.  ;)  Our ds applied to an OOS college.  In our current state we are under an umbrella school so his transcript had the umbrella's name on it.  We were contacted b/c they wanted to know why we had applied under a different name other than "homeschool."  

It is easier to not get hung up on the issue.  Just be forthright that it is a homeschool transcript and just go with the flow.  Every state has different laws and universities are used to mainly dealing with their own state's applicants.   We have had to tell universities that we can't provide "x" b/c our state doesn't function that way, etc.  

• Like 12

Why not just list homeschool instead of the name on the transcript or diploma?

Well, at least in my state we are considered a private school.  If I am filling anything out I put the name of our private school.  Just putting homeschool won't net as much, at least not where I live.  For instance, local businesses that give discounts to educators expect a name for the school.

I had not thought about further down the road, when jobs and such come up.  Our title was created by the kids and is a bit long but it does include our last name.  So do a couple of schools in the area that were named after relatives prominent in the local education community.  I honestly don't see it as that big an issue.

• Like 2

I remember reading something by HSLDA and the recommend not naming it "Lastname Academy" also. I think they said the reason was that "Lastname Academy" sticks out more as obviously a homeschool and you may be more likely to be picked on by the authorities. Or something like that. We started out as "Lastname Christian School" but after I read that I changed it to "Liberty Christian School".

• Like 1

I decided to stick with "homeschool" in the high school box, because several applications/groups etc., had pull down menus. You could enter a name for your school but if it matched one in their database, it kept auto filling the form.

We have not encountered any problems by just stating homeschooled. Of course, any state where homeschools are private schools will be different.

Just want to give you a heads up that just giving a name won't likely solve all your issues.   ;)  Our ds applied to an OOS college.  In our current state we are under an umbrella school so his transcript had the umbrella's name on it.  We were contacted b/c they wanted to know why we had applied under a different name other than "homeschool."  

It is easier to not get hung up on the issue.  Just be forthright that it is a homeschool transcript and just go with the flow.  Every state has different laws and universities are used to mainly dealing with their own state's applicants.   We have had to tell universities that we can't provide "x" b/c our state doesn't function that way, etc.  

But folks who live in states where homeschools are considered private schools, such as Texas, California, and Illinois, should absolutely say that they graduated from a private school. And if they were enrolled in an umbrella of some kind because it is required by the laws of their states should also use the name of the umbrella. It is not less forthright to use the name of the umbrella school than to use "homeschool."

• Like 3

Huh? Most catholic schools (you know, schools well known for their education) are named after saints - sometimes they include "Saint" in the name, but other times they do not, so it often just reads as "(name of saint) school" or "(name of saint or pope) catholic school. Other private schools in the area are named after people - and they have no problem getting their kids into university.

But folks who live in states where homeschools are considered private schools, such as Texas, California, and Illinois, should absolutely say that they graduated from a private school. And if they were enrolled in an umbrella of some kind because it is required by the laws of their states should also use the name of the umbrella. It is not less forthright to use the name of the umbrella school than to use "homeschool."

???  I never said it was.  My point was when the university contacted me, I simply explained that the name was the umbrella school's name, but yes, he was homeschooled.  Even if I lived in a state where homeschooling is considered a private school, if contacted I would simply explain that under state law, he was a homeschooled student considered a private school student.  I would not try to "hide" the homeschooling piece.  I know for CCs and universities there are data clearinghouses where every school ever attended is immediately identifiable.  I wouldn't be surprised if that does not end up being the case for K12 as well.   

FWIW, the homeschool code is going to be used for standardized testing, so it isn't as if it is not already known.

• Like 8

Huh? Most catholic schools (you know, schools well known for their education) are named after saints - sometimes they include "Saint" in the name, but other times they do not, so it often just reads as "(name of saint) school" or "(name of saint or pope) catholic school. Other private schools in the area are named after people - and they have no problem getting their kids into university.

I'm not sure if that was directed toward me or not, but if you fill out the paperwork as counselor or sign as principal, etc, your name will match the parental name.  It is pretty obvious that you homeschool.  ;)  But, I never suggested that it was difficult getting kids into university, either.  My only point is that just name alone does not clear up all confusionn.  :)

• Like 4

I have to say, this is sounding like we need one of those "name generators". You know, where you use your street name and favorite color to get your super hero name....

Like this one, https://www.blogthings.com/leprechaunnamegenerator/

Then you can add "academy" or "school". Much more fun.

I'm renaming our Lastname Academy to: Paddy Luckleaf Academy. I like it!!

For all my smart aleck, I think the name of one's school won't stop haters. However, if you're more comfortable with a generic name, then power to you and I think it's kind to share your concerns with others who may feel similarly.

• Like 10

Our homeschool doesn't have a name. Not sure why we'd name it at all.

I only ever used it for the transcript and diploma so it would be more like a standard diploma and transcript. I didn't want them to be dismissed without a look by some of the bigger flagship schools he applied to.

• Like 2

Our homeschool doesn't have a name.  Not sure why we'd name it at all.

Our's doesn't either. GA doesn't require one... but I do like to tell my kids I am training them to be the prettiest little garden gnomes.. Mine have the official title of "gnomeschoolers" since DH won't let me buy my own gaudy gnomes for my yard :p I've threatened to get shirts made and make them wear a red gnome hat while on field trips to museums.. I really should follow through :p

• Like 13

Hm....       

Stinky Luckleaf School

nope - not happening....

I got Tiny Twinkletoes Academy...kinda has a nice sound to it.... I am afraid if I put it up for a vote with my kids, though, I would only have one supporter.

ETA: I am sure that name wouldn't raise any eyebrows when my kids apply for college. :tongue_smilie:

I think there are two different issues here: whether a name matters for college admissions and whether a name matters in the work force.  Imo, the name does not matter at all when a student is applying to colleges.  However, I could see the name of the school mattering in the work force if the person reviewing the resumes has a negative opinion of homeschoolers, and we all know that there are plenty of those idiots out there. :cursing:

I named our homeschool so that it would not be obvious that we homeschool if my kids need to list their high school on a resume.

• Like 8

However, I could see the name of the school mattering in the work force if the person reviewing the resumes has a negative opinion of homeschoolers, and we all know that there are plenty of those idiots out there. :cursing:

The same way as some HR personnel only look at certain "name brand" colleges they favor for first round elimination.

• Like 1

???  I never said it was.  My point was when the university contacted me, I simply explained that the name was the umbrella school's name, but yes, he was homeschooled.  Even if I lived in a state where homeschooling is considered a private school, if contacted I would simply explain that under state law, he was a homeschooled student considered a private school student.  I would not try to "hide" the homeschooling piece.  I know for CCs and universities there are data clearinghouses where every school ever attended is immediately identifiable.  I wouldn't be surprised if that does not end up being the case for K12 as well.   

FWIW, the homeschool code is going to be used for standardized testing, so it isn't as if it is not already known.

I didn't suggest that anyone was "hiding" anything. :-)

A student who graduated from a virtual academy that used K12 (and in most states, it would be a public school) would receive a diploma/transcript with the actual name of the virtual academy (e.g., California Virtual Academy) and not K12. K12 itself does not keep any records, as it is a publisher like Rod and Staff or ABeka or BJUP.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if we can change it or not, since it's no longer an active school, you know? DH is 36. I'll have to look into that.

Sparkly Unicorn, our state requires that a h.s. be named.

OhElizabeth, it was always my understanding that you couldn't file for discrimination unless there was something pretty concrete to point to. The guy in the interview in my OP didn't actually say anything negative about it, so it seems like it would be too subtle to cry foul. It may even be that he didn't make the Peace Corps reference with a homeschooling background in mind, for all we know. What I'm trying to say is, when a field of candidates are applying for a job, you can use your personal bias to not select homeschooled students quite easily without making it look like that was the issue.

I know lots of private schools are just Lastname Academy because they're named after saints, etc. but my DH has an unusual last name. For men and unmarried women who apply for jobs with Lastname Academy, I think most people would not assume that applicant just coincidentally happened to go to a private school with the same name.

• Like 2

You are not being paranoid. My husband did not go to HS at all. He went to the college at The University of Washington instead of 7th grade through a Robinson program. He has since gotten two bachelor's degrees (Math and Economics) and a Master's (Mathematics) and was still turned down for a job (at the county jail) recently because of the lack of a HS education. He tried to go to school to be a high school teacher (before he got that Masters) and was also turned down from that program and told because he did not go to high school himself he would not make a good math teacher for high schoolers.

You are not being paranoid. My husband did not go to HS at all. He went to the college at The University of Washington instead of 7th grade through a Robinson program. He has since gotten two bachelor's degrees (Math and Economics) and a Master's (Mathematics) and was still turned down for a job (at the county jail) recently because of the lack of a HS education. He tried to go to school to be a high school teacher (before he got that Masters) and was also turned down from that program and told because he did not go to high school himself he would not make a good math teacher for high schoolers.

Oh for crying out loud. :cursing:

• Like 8