Menu

S/o where does your name rank?

gingersmom

Ya'll are killing me by not also including your name. Lol!

But I also get internet anonymity. So... my name was #33 the year I was born and it's way into the mid-200s now. There was only one other girl in my large high school with the same name. I feel like it's not all that popular, so I was surprised to see it that high the year I was born.

Ya'll are killing me by not also including your name. Lol!

But I also get internet anonymity. So... my name was #33 the year I was born and it's way into the mid-200s now. There was only one other girl in my large high school with the same name. I feel like it's not all that popular, so I was surprised to see it that high the year I was born.

Blossom?  or Desert?   ;)

Mine is a gender-neutral name, but for a female, it got as high as 168 two years after I was born.  It hasn't been in the top 1000 since 1988.  It's much more popular as a male name.

ETA: Neither of my kids' names made the top 1000 before 1990, but they're pretty popular names now.

Mine is a gender-neutral name, but for a female, it got as high as 168 two years after I was born.  It hasn't been in the top 1000 since 1988.  It's much more popular as a male name.

ETA: Neither of my kids' names made the top 1000 before 1990, but they're pretty popular names now.

I am very curious about your name!  In my observation, most names that are unisex either stay that way or "go to the girls."  I'm wondering what the name is that was able to get as high as 168 for girls and then end up having staying power on the male side but not the female.  If you're not willing to share your name, I'll understand, but I also might die of curiosity. ;)

• Like 1

My exact name? Peaked in 1951 and is somewhere in the 400s today. But my name has many standard variants and spellings (thank you interchangeable C and K) which are all counted on the SSA lists separately. I would be curious where it would rank if they were all counted together. It looks like the most common variation is about 40 on the list today. And five or six different variants are on the top 100 names for the last hundred hundred years.

http://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/decades/century.html

I don't mind having a common name. It's a non issue. And there were a lot of Katies in my area when I was a teenager. My softball teams usually had several or more, as did the opposing teams. I used to joke we should just have our own all Katie team. I was used to being Katie Last Name.

My exact name? Peaked in 1951 and is somewhere in the 400s today. But my name has many standard variants and spellings (thank you interchangeable C and K) which are all counted on the SSA lists separately. I would be curious where it would rank if they were all counted together. It looks like the most common variation is about 40 on the list today. And five or six different variants are on the top 100 names for the last hundred hundred years.

Yep. Similar thing here. I looked for my specific name, Kathleen, but there are numerous Katherine spellings, a few other Kathleen spellings, and the now old-lady nickname Kathy, with its multiple spellings. Katie is also a nickname for both Katherine and Kathleen. And all with the interchangeable C and K. :D

• Like 1

It was 11th in 1980 and has now dropped to 105.  There was usually another one in my class, but I'm thankful I was able to miss being Melissa (no offense to anyone with that name).  It was my mom's first pick for me while she was pregnant. There were always at least 5 Missy's in my class!

Yep. Similar thing here. I looked for my specific name, Kathleen, but there are numerous Katherine spellings, a few other Kathleen spellings, and the now old-lady nickname Kathy, with its multiple spellings. Katie is also a nickname for both Katherine and Kathleen. And all with the interchangeable C and K. :D

And alternate endings- ryn, rine; lyn, lin; ie, ey, y

I know Katies who are short for Caitlyn/Caitlin as well. I've only met one Kathy in my generation though. Lots 10-25 years older than me.

• Like 1

So, I added up the number of times the top variants of Kathleen/Katherine appeared on that SSA list of top 100 names for 100 years and combined, we would be number two after Mary, lol. 2.6 million+ K/C names meaning pure vs. 1.5 million+ Patricias (number 2 name for last 100 years combined).

Still, nothing beats Mary. :P. Though in recent decades, Mary is definitely less common than K/C names meaning pure. I don't think it is confirmation bias that I know a crap ton of Katies, Kathys etc.

Mine was #1 during the 1970's.....so I share my name with at least 600,000 women around my age. That's why I'm Bethany here---it's what I always wanted to change it to. 😊

Bethany was one of my top picks for ds if he'd been a girl. I love it. Not so great for a boy though! :)

I am a Jennifer Lynn born in the 70s. Enough said.

When my daughter was born we would have liked to name her Emma after my husband's grandmother, but it was the #1 name of her year and after growing up as Jennifer/Jenny I just couldn't do it.

What she said.

I am very curious about your name!  In my observation, most names that are unisex either stay that way or "go to the girls."  I'm wondering what the name is that was able to get as high as 168 for girls and then end up having staying power on the male side but not the female.  If you're not willing to share your name, I'll understand, but I also might die of curiosity. ;)

LOL... My name is Shawn. 

• Like 2

Mine was #62 when I was born, and raised in popularity to about Number 3 for a number of years, and has dropped sharply over the last few years to number 867 

My husband was ranked 16th when born, and has been very popular.  It is around 190 now.

My name never seemed popular to me - there was never another person in my class with it.  Personalized stuff in the store back then never had my name.  I did do summer camp one year with another person with my name.   That said, it never seemed way-out there either...

"Claire" was #453 the year I was born, and I didn't know anyone else with that name until I was in high school.  Oh, how I longed to be a Jennifer or Melissa!  I was named after my great-grandma and my aunt, so I felt like a little old lady in elementary school.  I like my name now, though.

Last year it was #44, and I hear my name being called all the time in grocery stores, which is very startling for me.  Lots of little Claires running around now--definitely not an old-lady name anymore! 

The year I was born, my name was #5.  Thanks mom!  Now my name is not even in the top 100.  I have no idea where it's at now.  I'll have to go use my google-fu a little more thoroughly.  ETA - ok, the long version of my name (my parents gave me the shortened version) was #101 in the last few years.  That's lower than I thought!

I actually always love classic names regardless of ranking too.  My name is most definitely NOT a classic name however.

In our family we all have alternate spellings, so those never show up. My name hasn't cracked the top 1,000 since 1900 but the common spelling got as high as #17. That was 20 years after I was born so now all the middle schoolers have my name. DH, however, is a Justyn, and there are gobs of them from the 80's. 

My middle name is Lin, though. Still a different spelling but it made me feel like I fit in.  :laugh:

My name is Kelly (no middle name) although I go by Kel.  My given name was #16 back in 1974 when I was born, and is now #431.  The name I go by is #7796 currently, but that's on the boys list, the year I was born it didn't even make the list.  

My oldest son's name, Everett, was #579 the year he was born and is now #167 which seems to be the highest it's been since 1942

My daughter, Annika, was #364 the year she was born but is very popular in the area my husband grew up.  We didn't know that when we picked it, glad we don't live near there.  Her name is now #576

My youngest son, Lucas, was #58 the year he was born and is gaining in popularity. It's currently #19 (he also hates being called Luke)

My husband is a Matthew, who goes by Matt which ranked #10 back in 1972, and is now ranked 16

I was in the low 200s the year it was born (late 60s).  I'm now in the 600s.  Most popular year was 2002.

The other spelling of my name is more common.  It was in the 90s the year I was born.  Low 300s this year.  Most popular year was 1965.  

My name was ranked 471 the year I was born and was 3rd last year.

It is a bit odd. I never met another Sophia growing up, but now I meet all these people whose little girls have my name. When I was younger I never would have guessed that.

Mine was #286 the year I was born and has been decreasing ever since.  It's not even in the top 1000 now.

It's probably a good thing.  I've never really cared for my name.  I grew up in the era of Jennifers and I always thought that was a really nice name.  I might have one myself except we never had girls and my boys probably wouldn't care for it even more than I don't like my own name.  :coolgleamA:

Mines was #32 the year I was born, and now it's not even in the top 1000.

I always liked the name Jennifer too! (when I was a kid)  Whenever I wrote a short story, the main character was always Jennifer.  :)