Menu

Lilly (Pulitzer) line at Target...anyone try to go?

unsinkable

It isn't my thing but I went with DS who wanted to try to get something for a "special friend's" birthday.

YIKES! What a scene!

The entire women's section was gone in moments. I managed to grab a dress and bracelet, then we walked to cosmetics and got a little make-up bag. We saw a woman with a half a cart filled with girls' swimsuits.

I didn't know what you were talking about, so loaded the target website. The prints look like Florida to me, and I only really like one or two of them. I guess that will be the new fad this summer?

I am the furthest from a fashion expert but Lilly Pulitzer was designing since the 60s. She died a few years ago but her brand was bought but someone.

It's not new but it has never been in Target. They have stand alone stores.

• Like 1

I didn't know what you were talking about, so loaded the target website. The prints look like Florida to me, and I only really like one or two of them. I guess that will be the new fad this summer?

Lol no, not new. Jackie Kennedy used to be a big fan. It's usually a very expensive line of clothes so fans are excited to get it at cheaper Target prices.

I might pop in to see what's there today. A friend got up in the middle of the night and snagged several things online before the site crashed!

It isn't my thing but I went with DS who wanted to try to get something for a "special friend's" birthday.

YIKES! What a scene!

The entire women's section was gone in moments. I managed to grab a dress and bracelet, then we walked to cosmetics and got a little make-up bag. We saw a woman with a half a cart filled with girls' swimsuits.

I had wondered what was going to happen at Target when the line was released. We just got back from a visit to the US and left before the line was released. A few years ago I promised Dd a Lily sundress when her size became fairly consistent- the thought of that much money for one season wasn't something I could justify. I started researching which stores to go to because this was to be the year and ran into the Target line. No longer wanted to buy this year after that discovery. Maybe next trip at Target....hopefully much cheaper!

Just checked eBay. Everything we got is listed for 2 or 3 times the price we paid.

:svengo:

The bracelet I grabbed is a starfish that wraps around your wrist. It is kind of weird. DS and I kept saying "the claw chooses who will stay and who will go." (Toy Story line) :lol:

• Like 6

Lilly is pretty big in our area during the Summer, so I wasn't surprised to hear the younger girls talking about the Target release at the rink. I was saddened though when I overheard some of the girls (for reference, they are all between 9-13), "Now we'll be able to tell who the wanna-be's are this Summer. Who would dare wear a Lilly Target print in public? Not us we know what the real prints are."

Ugg, sometimes this parenting tween thing is for the birds!

Whaaaat? I got an email about this too, but I had no idea it was any kind of big deal. I'm going to have to hop over there today to see what's what. I don't think LP is a very big deal in our area, so it may not be as much of a mob scene. 

People are selling this stuff on eBay?!!!!

I'm seriously  :confused: . 

AnIslandGirl, that is truly depressing. 

• Like 1

Lilly is pretty big in our area during the Summer, so I wasn't surprised to hear the younger girls talking about the Target release at the rink. I was saddened though when I overheard some of the girls (for reference, they are all between 9-13), "Now we'll be able to tell who the wanna-be's are this Summer. Who would dare wear a Lilly Target print in public? Not us we know what the real prints are."

Oh, that is sad.  Growing up can be all kinds of awful.

I didn't know what you were talking about, so loaded the target website.  The prints look like Florida to me, and I only really like one or two of them.  I guess that will be the new fad this summer?

It's been very "in" among the preppy girls for several years.  My guess is now that it's sold at Target it will probably go out of favor among that set.

• Like 2

DD and I arrived about 5 minutes before opening.  There was a line of about 12 women, a few dragging men along with them.  The ones in the very front went running through the store like maniacs, grabbing everything in reach.  Everyone else was civilized.  We each chose a scarf and we also got 2 packs of the cloth napkins.  We were the first people to check out at 8:08am!

Just checked ebay for fun and my $20 scarf is selling for $60, DDs $20 scarf is selling for $45, and the napkins, which were only $10 for 4 are going for $40-$60!!!

Wish we had grabbed a few more things (JK).

I mentioned the high ebay prices to DH and now I may need to hide my new napkins!

I wonder why they don't have more to sell.  Our store only had 3-4 of each item we looked at (didn't even glance at the clothing).  The scarcity in Target is definitely driving the high prices on ebay.  It seems like people buying Lilly on ebay would realize that at those high prices, they could afford the real thing.

• Like 2

I was excited when I got the email  And was planning to check it out, but completely forgot until I saw this email.  I may go see if there is anything left, later in the week.  But I guess you are telling me not to bother...  I'm not terribly upset though.

I'm in Florida and never heard of this line. Both dds looked at it online and weren't impressed. They've also never seen any of their peers wearing this stuff, but did note it looks like the clothing a lot of older people here wear.

I was glad to see this thread this morning though as I had planned a run to Target and was happy for the heads up to avoid it today.

I didn't know what you all were talking about so I found a slide show of the products and, well, I don't get the hoopla. They definitely have a 60's vibe to me.

They were also super-popular in the '80's when the whole Preppy thing was big.  When the preppy fad faded, the 'true' preppies still used them.  That style never changes (that was kind of the point of the Preppy Handbook that started the craze in the '80's).  I guess '80's stuff is coming back in style (I hear Bean boots are so hot they can't keep them in stock!), and so Lilly Pulitzer is back too...  Hot pink & lime green for all!  Not really my thing, though...

• Like 2

They were also super-popular in the '80's when the whole Preppy thing was big.  When the preppy fad faded, the 'true' preppies still used them.  That style never changes (that was kind of the point of the Preppy Handbook that started the craze in the '80's).  I guess '80's stuff is coming back in style (I hear Bean boots are so hot they can't keep them in stock!), and so Lilly Pulitzer is back too...  Hot pink & lime green for all!  Not really my thing, though...

Yeah, I remember when A&F had the whole preppy thing going on. Imagine my surprise years later when I walked into one and the store had a whole different thing going.

I wonder why they don't have more to sell. Our store only had 3-4 of each item we looked at (didn't even glance at the clothing). The scarcity in Target is definitely driving the high prices on ebay. It seems like people buying Lilly on ebay would realize that at those high prices, they could afford the real thing.

That is the crazy thing, it is still a $20 Target scarf, it isn't a $60 scarf. Only insane people would pay 3x the price for Target quality items. I do like Target and I have some clothes from there but I don't know why people would pay more than what it is. I prefer to get clothes from there if it is marked DOWN not marked UP. :lol:

• Like 3

I just looked at the website. Chalk another one up on my Stuff Whose Popularity I Just Don't Get list.

I'm in your group.  I just saw a story about it on the morning news and wondered WTH?  Then I see a thread on here and have to wonder the same thing.

I guess my DNA is deformed somewhat as I've never understood any fad and what draws people to them.

I'll admit to being glad it's deformed.  ;)

• Like 2

Hmmm . .  I'm not a fan of the LP stuff, but I really don't think it can accurately be called a fad.  Like someone said earlier, her stuff was popular with Jacqueline Kennedy.  Can something that's been around for that many decades be called a fad?  I don't think so.  My 20 yo fashionista niece has been wearing Lilly stuff for years.  She's the only reason I know about it.  ;)

• Like 1

Hmmm . .  I'm not a fan of the LP stuff, but I really don't think it can accurately be called a fad.  Like someone said earlier, her stuff was popular with Jacqueline Kennedy.  Can something that's been around for that many decades be called a fad?  I don't think so.  My 20 yo fashionista niece has been wearing Lilly stuff for years.  She's the only reason I know about it.  ;)

The fad part may not be the line itself, but certainly the line at Target has hit that niche with the rush and reselling at exorbitant profits, etc.

There are places where one can still buy pet rocks (I've seen them).  They were still a fad when "everyone" had to get one.  (WHY???)

• Like 2

Target has done a number of "limited edition" collections with famous designers/brands in recent years.  They did a Liberty of London for Target collection a few years back.  (Liberty, like Lilly, features iconic fabric designs and is a "classic" brand that never goes out of style.)  The Lilly line is also a limited edition - when it's gone, it's gone.  It's not something Target will carry on an ongoing basis.

Lilly is a classic "Palm Beach" Florida look consisting of shift dresses, narrow pants, and little skirts, all in bright citrus-colored beachy prints.  The prints, each of which has a name, are exclusive to the Lilly brand, and usually say "Lilly" somewhere on them.  The story goes that Lilly originally made shift dresses for herself, in prints to hide the stains from the fruit stand she ran in exclusive Palm Beach.  They became popular, and she started the line.

Didn't have a clue. All I could think of was the Pulitzer Prize. A relation of Joseph Pulitzer? I finally got curious enough I googled it. I have dd who might like those prints. None of my girls had heard of her, so I feel better. One dd, the fashionista, is off to investigate.

I love that style! But I've never owned a Lily. And I'm no longer pencil thin to pull off a crisp look wearing it.

Oldest DD tells me all the rich girls at her school (there are a number of truly wealthy families that attend - we are the poor church mice of the group!) are always talking about their Lily this, Lily that. She seems to think none of them have a clue about the Target line. DD said that after listening to the way they all gaggle on, the last thing she'd be interested in is anything by LP, regardless of where it's from.

She did also happen to be in Target yesterday and said that the stuff was already mostly gone, just a few accessories left.

That was me as a teen.  We were pretty serious about our brands.  And pretty snotty, too.

Now I'll admit to not knowing what Lilly was until this thread.

Didn't have a clue. All I could think of was the Pulitzer Prize. A relation of Joseph Pulitzer? I finally got curious enough I googled it. I have dd who might like those prints. None of my girls had heard of her, so I feel better. One dd, the fashionista, is off to investigate.

Her husband was Joseph Pulitzer's grandson, I believe. 

It is definitely a Southern prep thing, along with monograms, Vineyard Vines, Vera Bradley, Tory Burch, Patagonia, Southern Tide, etc. I don't get the attraction, but my sister LOVES Lilly Pulitzer. 

• Like 1

It looks like the stuff my grandmother and her friends in a retirement community in Florida wear and decorate with. Not to my taste at all. Clearly, I know nothing about fashion! I never would have pegged that stuff as trendy.

It's not "trendy" so much as it is "classic" - a look that has endured for years in certain (thin, wealthy, winter-in-Palm-Beach) social groups.  The tropical prints look best in hot, humid climates, and the fabrics are of a high quality (with a price point to match).  (The Target line prints, though, are horrid IMHO and not particularly Lilly-esque at all.)  The styles - shift dresses, for example - give a "casual elegance" look that works in the heat.  With the rise of women buying cheap "fast fashion", though, rather than quality "investment pieces", as well as the ever-present need to please the shareholders, companies like Lilly can benefit from a line at a lower price point, thus a testing of the waters through the collaboration with Target.

• Like 2

It looks like the stuff my grandmother and her friends in a retirement community in Florida wear and decorate with. Not to my taste at all. Clearly, I know nothing about fashion! I never would have pegged that stuff as trendy.

To me, it's classic sorority girl style and a bit odd to think of as "trendy". Kind of the sorority chick equivalent to the frat guy's khakis and polo shirts. In fact, I'd probably have worn the Lilly shift to the same Greek event that my then-BF, now-DH would've worn khakis and a polo to.

ETA: Apparently, Lilly did a whole sorority collection a few years back with exclusive prints for each sorority. I *TOTALLY* would've bought one back in the day, LOL! https://www.pinterest.com/pin/238479742738647961/

• Like 1

It's not "trendy" so much as it is "classic" - a look that has endured for years in certain (thin, wealthy, winter-in-Palm-Beach) social groups. The tropical prints look best in hot, humid climates, and the fabrics are of a high quality (with a price point to match). (The Target line prints, though, are horrid IMHO and not particularly Lilly-esque at all.) The styles - shift dresses, for example - give a "casual elegance" look that works in the heat. With the rise of women buying cheap "fast fashion", though, rather than quality "investment pieces", as well as the ever-present need to please the shareholders, companies like Lilly can benefit from a line at a lower price point, thus a testing of the waters through the collaboration with Target.

That makes sense. My grandmother is a wealthy retiree to Florida. They live there full time now. I am not trying to knock it, it's just not my taste and I don't really understand fashion. Also, I'm a lower middle class/working poor(depends on the year) woman in Colorado. I wear jeans. :)

• Like 3