Menu

Since I can't seem to drop the topic..a poll about Botox etc

Halcyon

Would you/have you??  

137 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever done Botox or fillers?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If you answered no to #1, the main reason you HAVEN'T done such things is:

• I don't have the money
    • I have the money but that's not what I choose to spend it on.
    • I am afraid of looking like the Joker
    • I am afraid of the pain.
    • I don't trust any doctor enough.
    • I had a sister/friend/mother do it and she had a bad experience.
    • I don't believe in such things..vanity of vanities, all is vanity!
    • Other: please post below

I will say I don't believe in such things, BUT it doesn't bother me if others wish to do it.

I did know someone who had a terrible (though temporary) reaction to a chemical peel. And this woman was all kinds of beautiful, so I could no imagine why she felt that was necessary.

• Like 2

No, because...BOTULISM!

It just seems unnatural. That and the odd transformation of all the female Fox News anchor women into smooth-browed, cocktail dress wearing TV personalities whose eyebrows don't move. (Sorry to sound critical, it's just impossible not to notice.)

• Like 5

I have thought about it. My face is too expressive and I am always squishing up my forehead.

I have plenty of melanin I just squish up my forehead a LOT.

It might also help me look nicer, not prettier but less of a jerk because I won't be able to make as many "wth" faces.

I wouldn't normally do that sort of thing, I am not vain. I don't wear make-up. I just really squish the heck out of my forehead.

• Like 1

No. I feel like looking old is an entitlement.

(Me. The rest of you can do as you please.)

((I might change my mind if I ever decide to go dating.))

(((I will never change my mind about having botox though. If a guy thinks botulism is sexy, he's not my kind of guy.)))

• Like 7

No.

It just doesn't seem like a good idea to me!  I'm all for finding the perfect make up to put on top of one's skin, but shoving stuff *underneath just doesn't sound right.

(And if I did have plenty of vanity money, it'd be used for a boob lift, so I admit I'm a complete hypocrite!)

Other: I don't have any need. Also, I wouldn't bother or want to if I did. I don't wear make-up and never do anything fancy with my hair or wear anything uncomfortable for the sake of beauty, etc. However, saying I don't believe in such things is a bit strong, as I understand that others have different concerns than I do.

I know several women (OK, maybe more than several) women who have had all sorts of cosmetic procedures done, and only a very few of them look better now than before they started messing with their faces and bodies -- and these are women who go to high-profile big-deal doctors, so it's not like they're getting cheap discount motel surgery or anything. I figure if the supposedly best of the best doctors are still making people look fake and plastic, that's kind of scary!

Also, a few of my doctor friends have told me that they will inject other people with Botox, but there is no way they would use it themselves, so that pretty much sealed the deal for me.

I think if someone wants to have work done, the smart thing is to do it a tiny bit at a time, rather than trying for big results all at once -- and that includes things like injectables. But please don't think the injections are no big deal. I have seen a few people have bad reactions to them, and they really looked awful for quite a while afterward.

• Like 1

I could not answer the poll:

I answered "no" because I simply see no reason to consider having myself injected with a toxin that paralyzes my facial muscles. The notion seems bizarre to me.

I was all set to post about why I chose "other" in the second part of your poll, but regentrude beat me to it.

I suppose I "could" afford this kind of procedure if it were of any interest to me, but I can't imagine why I would want it. I don't hold it against others if they care enough to spend time and money on it, but it's honestly never crossed my mind.

I said no because I wouldn't inject a toxin into my face.

I'm quoting myself because I thought I was being pithy but now I'm thinking I was rude. Apologies.

I have some wrinkles and gray hair. I truly feel like I've earned them. Maybe others have gotten theirs more gradually than I did, but after a near-death experience and serious illness, I aged quite a bit over about 1.5 years. At this point I'm just happy to be here and the wrinkles and grays remind me of that, like putting a note on the mirror to remind myself to have gratitude.

That said, I did whiten my teeth a bit. Not a lot, the dentist said I did much less than most people.  I didn't want fake looking teeth, but they were becoming quite yellow from tea and coffee and I was becoming self conscious. I used the nightly trays for a few nights, rather than the in-office whitening, so I had control over the color. I also had some weird staining from braces when I was younger and I got that fixed. I do feel like these fixes made me look a bit younger. I couldn't convince myself I had earned my yellowed teeth! I do think whitening them made me look a bit younger.

• Like 1

I've not done it, but I have not ruled it out, as I just watched the Diane Sawyer/Julie Andrews interview posted here. ;)

She is 79.

70 freaking 9. 

I'm thinking Christopher Plummer skipped the botox. (I think he looks fab, but he does look his age. Not saying that's bad, mind you.)

Whereas, Julie?   Yeah.

I've never going to say never. ;)

• Like 1

I wanted to say I don't believe in such vanity.  But I've done facials and even laser hair removal.  And I plan to do those again.  So who am I to talk?

I don't feel the need or desire to puff up my features, but I think Botox also has therapeutic uses.

Mostly I am reluctant to predict what I may or may not do over the next 50+ years.  :P

• Like 1

http://www1.plasticsurgery.org/before_and_after_photo_gallery/?procedure=Eyelid_Surgery eye surgery before and after photos

I would do a major chemical peel, laser treatment, and cosmetic eye surgery for bags and hooded eyes (not the kind that changes the eye shape/gives slanted eyes) in a heart beat. Not that I could afford it in the U.S., anyways. I have read rave reviews of a couple places in Mexico that are incredibly less expensive though. :)

Botox and fillers. ..not so much.

• Like 1

I live in Los Angeles, the land of the Human Freak-Shows, and I gotta tel you that very few plastic surgeries or procedure make people anything but hard to look at.

Take a very unflattering "Before" shot (with bad lighting and a dye-job growing out at the roots) and compare it with a well-lit "After" photo ( that has been Photoshopped) and you might convince yourself thers's been an "improvement," but Good Jolly Miss Molly!

Frozen foreheads look bizarre.

And the long term risks of having a neuro-toxin injected into ones face remain unknown.

Don't do it.

Bill

• Like 8

Julia Roberts and Cate Bkanchett are old now? Only by Hollywood standards. Maybe Carmen delOriface? It just seems the horrors are much more common. Why risk it?

Well, they're as old as me LOL. They're not "old". However, they've had injections.

• Like 1

I am not a crunchy granola lady.  I wear make-up almost daily.  I like wearing nice clothes.  I enjoy doing my hair.  However, I've always preferred doing the best with what I've got.  I really dislike fake nails and hair extensions.  I've never permanently dyed my hair (although I'm not really sure what I'm going to do now that I've got quite a bit of gray...).  I don't think I'd want to do anything to my face that would be fake.  I think (and I'm only 37 so...) I'd just like to take good care of my skin and wear nice make-up and leave it at that.  My mom is in her sixties and she still looks beautiful; hopefully I'll look like her at that age.  

I also think it might be a slippery slope...  And it might be something that goes on and on.  I'm not sure how you go from having regular Botox to deciding it's time to stop and then dealing with the sudden drastic change.  Because the alternative would be to keep having Botox into your 80's and 90's and that's weird.

• Like 1

Cate Blanchett: http://www.beforeandafterceleb.com/cate-blanchett-plastic-surgery/

I think she looks fabulous.

And Julia Roberts has had some very well-done work done, IMO.

See I don't think she looks fabulous. I think she looks expressionless and absent of joy. I think that when I see her on the TV screen and in pictures. As for Julia Robert she claims she has not had work done. I can believe that since it looks like she cakes on more makeup now.

Other. My self image is not a person who spends that kind of money or takes those kind of risks for a manufactured ideal of beauty. I don't reject it for myself because of believing vanity is wrong (we all have somethhing we are vain about) but I'm just not the sort of person who sees wrinkles and lines on my face and wants to get rid of them. maybe that will change as I age but I do doubt it.

• Like 1

It's not something that interests me. Doesn't bother me if others chose to do it. I dislike the frozen face puffy cheek look that seems really popular right now. It doesn't look great and seems to make the face age really weirdly. I guess like anything, you can do it in moderation and just look a bit fresher but people tend to seem to go too far and get expressionless and distorted. Kind of like the tattoo make-up that some people have. My sister had it done and it was way too dark and really unflattering and then she was stuck with it. 

• Like 2

I'm planning on  botoxing the " between my brows. My forehead I'm less concerned about.  Probably will first do laser for the rosacea though (unless the current topical regimen actually works - not holding my breath...)

I'm in camp vain I guess.

Actually I'm in camp "I really am not as crabby and angry as I look"

• Like 2

http://www1.plasticsurgery.org/before_and_after_photo_gallery/?procedure=Eyelid_Surgery eye surgery before and after photos

I would do a major chemical peel, laser treatment, and cosmetic eye surgery for bags and hooded eyes (not the kind that changes the eye shape/gives slanted eyes) in a heart beat. Not that I could afford it in the U.S., anyways. I have read rave reviews of a couple places in Mexico that are incredibly less expensive though. :)

Botox and fillers. ..not so much.

Honestly, some of the after pictures look worse than the before, to me.  The eyes look defenceless and mouse-like.

I answered "no."  You didn't allow for multiple reasons in the second poll.  My reasons?   I'm not crazy about putting toxins in my body unnecessarily.  That said, my sister has found great relief from headaches with Botox.  If I had her problems, I might consider it.  Sometimes, I dream of a little lift or rejuvenation, but I really can't justify the expense, plus, I'm just a little too crunchy for that.  Plus, I do fear a bad result. 

• Like 1

I hate the frozen forehead look. It seems to make people's foreheads look just a little too smooth, if that makes any sense, and the lack of movement is disconcerting when you have a conversation with them. I think they believe they look good because when they look in the mirror and their faces are still, it looks like the wrinkles are gone --- but the weirdness comes in when they laugh or try to frown, because only part of their faces move and it is very noticeable and unnatural.

I have to be very careful when I talk to someone who has used Botox, because for some reason, I keep frowning and crinkling up my forehead in some sort of psychic effort to make her face move. (And yes, I know that's weird!) It would drive me nuts to not be able to move my face!

• Like 3

You know what really scares me about getting old?  I'm scared that I'll try to overcompensate and then look like I'm trying really hard not to look old.  I don't want to be the 70 year old lady with way too much eye liner and dyed blonde, overly hairsprayed hair. 

Or low rise jeans.  Please.  Someone who is close to me and is in her 70's still wears low rise jeans and it's not ok.  I'm sorry, but it isn't.

I "don't believe" in such things. :) Because, vanity.

It seems to be a slippery slope. People want to look better, but they keep going. They end up looking like freaks. Insecure freaks. See: Hollywood/music industry/and the flight attendant on our vacation last fall with the ridiculously unfortunate platypus lips.

But also remember my opinion is coming from one known around these parts as "frumpy". Make-up/hair/clothes only matter to me on special occasions. I wear naked face, yoga pants and a ponytail to grocery shop. ;)

• Like 1

You know what really scares me about getting old? I'm scared that I'll try to overcompensate and then look like I'm trying really hard not to look old. I don't want to be the 70 year old lady with way too much eye liner and dyed blonde, overly hairsprayed hair.

Or low rise jeans. Please. Someone who is close to me and is in her 70's still wears low rise jeans and it's not ok. I'm sorry, but it isn't.

low rise jeans & leggings will be the purple & red hats for our generation.

"When I am an old woman I shall wear purple

With a red hat that doesn't go and doesn't suit me."

• Like 4

Honestly, some of the after pictures look worse than the before, to me.  The eyes look defenceless and mouse-like.

I have hooded eyes that are starting to affect my vision, so I'm looking at the surgery that way.  I think you can have varying degrees of the eyelid life, too, to get a more natural look.  

I also have brown/age spot on each cheek near the ears. I'm only in my late 30's. I look the oldest out of my peer group (by a mile: major wrinkling and bags around the eye area, but they're other places, too).  I have no issues doing a little bit of surgery to make myself less self-conscious.

• Like 1

Or low rise jeans.  Please.  Someone who is close to me and is in her 70's still wears low rise jeans and it's not ok.  I'm sorry, but it isn't.

I wore low rise jeans well into my 40s because, quite frankly, I am shaped like a pear and Mom Jeans were worse than corsets. I couldn't breathe.

50s seem to be pretty much the end of pants except for pajamas or yoga pants. It's got nothing to do with wanting to look more feminine and dieting isn't going to help because I'm underweight, I just happen to look like a pear.

It seems to me that people who take extreme measures to change their physical appearance don't like themselves very much and usually find something else to want to change once the offending body part has been surgically or chemically altered.

If I was going to paint a picture of my aesthetic ideal of a beautiful fiftysomething woman, she wouldn't look a thing like me, but my body isn't an expression of my artistic talent, it's something I live in. It's kind of ugly, but it doesn't define who I am.

I could get botox if I wanted to, but I'd rather put posters over the mirrors in my house, since I'm a renter and my landlord doesn't want me to take them down.

I try to remember to take the occasional selfie for my 7 year old and stash it away on a flash drive to be given to him after my death or on his 18th birthday, whichever comes last, because I know he will want them no matter how much they make me cringe.

Of course I wear purple. I seriously got in an argument with my mother about it where she was left sputtering that I had to stop saying strange things in public and try harder to remember what my favourite colour was because EVERYBODY knew that it was navy blue!

• Like 3

I posted other; the reason is I don't need it yet. My fat fills out the wrinkles better than Botox ever could.

ETA: I'll never say never because who knows what the future is, but it's very unlikely I'll ever do Botox. I just am not hung up on my appearance to that degree.

• Like 1