Menu

Have you ever had someone whose voice just grates on your nerves?

DawnM

I think honestly it is because this man drives me nuts anyway, but he is very nasally in his tone and I find that every time I hear him, his voice is like nails on a chalkboard.

I feel bad for thinking this way, and it really may not bother me so much if he weren't so irritating anyway (always arguing, always needed to be heard above everyone, etc...)

But then I really wonder if his voice wouldn't be irritating anyway, even if I liked him as a person.

Hmmmmm.......just stupid musings of the day.

I used to work with the sweetest lady - but she talked 1000 miles an hour, flapped her hands while talking, and though her voice was airy, it was the loudest voice EVER. She also just couldn't stop talking. It was non-stop. If you're a highly sensitive person like I am and noise affects you ten-fold, it's hard to handle a person like that. She had a generous, kind heart though. 

My mom saw her a few weeks ago and purposely went down some wrong aisles to avoid her. :/ She said, "I heard her voice across the store and just got out as fast as I could. I knew I didn't have time to talk to her."

I think honestly it is because this man drives me nuts anyway, but he is very nasally in his tone and I find that every time I hear him, his voice is like nails on a chalkboard.

I feel bad for thinking this way, and it really may not bother me so much if he weren't so irritating anyway (always arguing, always needed to be heard above everyone, etc...)

But then I really wonder if his voice wouldn't be irritating anyway, even if I liked him as a person.

Hmmmmm.......just stupid musings of the day.

No. Even if you like them, they can drive you crazy. :) 

The first Latin program we used had videos and the narrator's voice drove us all batty.  We made it through three lessons before declaring the videos a fail and just using the workbooks and Google.

DD21 actually threw a temper tantrum and tossed set of DVDs for US Government in the trash because the lecturer's voice drove her mad.

I made her dig them out so I could resell them.

I used to babysit a 3rd grader after school every day when I was in high school. Fortunately his two best friends (brothers 11 mo. apart in age) lived in my neighborhood so he got lots of playtime with his buds who he otherwise saw only at school. Unfortunately they had matching, high-pitched, intense voices that grated on me. It sounded like constant whining (though the real whiny voices were worse). I felt sorry for their mom :) I can only hope this improved with puberty.

I used to work with the sweetest lady - but she talked 1000 miles an hour, flapped her hands while talking, and though her voice was airy, it was the loudest voice EVER. She also just couldn't stop talking. It was non-stop.

With people like this, I always end up wondering why their parents didn't work hard on social skills with them. Maybe the parents were just as bad? Or maybe it never ocurred to them that social skills are skills that can be developed with practice. In any case, I get the impression that these things need to be worked on when your kids are young enough to not be constantly offended.

With people like this, I always end up wondering why their parents didn't work hard on social skills with them. Maybe the parents were just as bad? Or maybe it never ocurred to them that social skills are skills that can be developed with practice. In any case, I get the impression that these things need to be worked on when your kids are young enough to not be constantly offended.

Sometimes parents do work on these things and it doesn't make a bit of difference. I have spent countless hours and a lot of money on social skills teaching. It just hasn't helped. All of this to say, don't assume the parents didn't work on social skills.

Some people's parents work on it, but it's too strongly ingrained. IMO you can't assume their parents didn't try or that it's even perfectly fixable. My dad can be like this--his mom was super-aware and strict. My son is like this, and we work on it constantly, but after seeing my dad I am not expecting teaching social skills to 100% erase signs of ADHD.

This may not be a social skills issue, but a neurological one. I have little/no natural control over my speech. If I don't keep pretty close conscious control, I get very high, very fast, and very loud without even realizing it. It took years of therapy to get it to become something that I could hear and pick up on and change, and honestly, college theater classes which were focused on developing speech patterns for a character were more helpful in some ways than therapy because, really, I'm playing a role every time I carry on a normal conversation.

I hate to see parents blamed for not working on "social skills"-it's really, really hard to remediate neurological disabilities out of existence to the point that the person can "pass for normal", and it's not done by just saying "Slow down, honey. People can't understand you when you go too fast" or "Be quieter-your voice is too loud". All that does is make the kid, who, if they're like me, really doesn't "hear" a difference, feel like it's not safe to talk at all-which is what I pretty much did through most of my public school years.

I understand that some of these people's parents worked on their issues, without enough obvious success. However, not everyone is like those of us on these forums. Many parents don't do much to make sure their kids read and do math well, so it's not hard to imagine that many don't make much attempt to work on social skills.

I believe someone on this forum mentioned that her husband (?) worked at a ritzy private school for a while. What stood out in his mind was all the work both parents and teachers put into teaching the "soft skills" as she called them.

She was very backwoods Arkansas. :) I'm pretty sure the social skills she learned were when she grew up and moved out. 

This may not be a social skills issue, but a neurological one. I have little/no natural control over my speech. If I don't keep pretty close conscious control, I get very high, very fast, and very loud without even realizing it. It took years of therapy to get it to become something that I could hear and pick up on and change, and honestly, college theater classes which were focused on developing speech patterns for a character were more helpful in some ways than therapy because, really, I'm playing a role every time I carry on a normal conversation.

I hate to see parents blamed for not working on "social skills"-it's really, really hard to remediate neurological disabilities out of existence to the point that the person can "pass for normal", and it's not done by just saying "Slow down, honey. People can't understand you when you go too fast" or "Be quieter-your voice is too loud". All that does is make the kid, who, if they're like me, really doesn't "hear" a difference, feel like it's not safe to talk at all-which is what I pretty much did through most of my public school years.

Thank you for sharing this. I honestly never would have even considered this aspect. 

honestly, college theater classes which were focused on developing speech patterns for a character were more helpful in some ways than therapy because, really, I'm playing a role every time I carry on a normal conversation.

Do you think that over time, "playing the role" of an average person will start to feel more natural? Does it take less work than it used to? I'm glad you found something helpful. Several other people on the board have mentioned various unexpected benefits their kids gained from acting classes. They impressed me enough that today my oldest is starting a homeschool acting class. We are hoping to steer his dramatic tendencies in a positive way, just as we started him in gymnastics because of his wiggliness.

Do you think that over time, "playing the role" of an average person will start to feel more natural? Does it take less work than it used to? I'm glad you found something helpful. Several other people on the board have mentioned various unexpected benefits their kids gained from acting classes. They impressed me enough that today my oldest is starting a homeschool acting class. We are hoping to steer his dramatic tendencies in a positive way, just as we started him in gymnastics because of his wiggliness.

It absolutely gets easier over time and more natural, and just being able to control my own schedule so that I usually don't get into that overloaded, completely exhausted state helps. I will say that I prefer working with kids to adults because kids have no trouble saying and showing that they can't understand me. Adults are often too polite, and often tend to do a better job of hiding irritation or misunderstanding in their body language, so I don't always catch that I'm "drifting" quite so easily. I also prefer public speaking over casual conversations-if I'm giving a talk, or teaching a class, I can prepare and while it sometimes drifts, I'm in that "mode". When it's over and everyone else figures now you can relax, I really need to pull it together, because it's actually a harder situation.

There's a librarian at my local branch who I try to avoid because of her voice. She hardly moves her teeth when she talks, so her voice is very soft and sibilant, but trying to be loud enough to be heard.. it's like she's trying to talk through her smile. I don't know how else to describe it. It's grating.

Captain Janeway from Star Trek Voyager used to irritate me. I eventually got used to her voice.

Dh and I felt the same way back when Voyager premiered. We were so happy to have another "Trek" to watch, and when she started speaking we were like "noooo". It took us several episodes to get used to her voice and then we actually liked it. I think it was just so different, you know? 

I have known several people IRL whose voices set my teeth on edge.

As someone mentioned upthread, Fran Drescher (The Nanny) has one of those voices, but I have seen her in interviews and it doesn't bother me. I guess she 'did it up' for the show?

My honest-to-goodness-must-plug-my-ears-because-I-can't-stand-the-voice is..... Rosie Perez. I just can't take it.

Smacking or clicking while talking, nasally voices, and just some dialects sound like nails on a chalk board. There is a Latin DVD we listen to and it is so hard for me not to want to throw the thing out the window. Very high pitched, or loud. I had a relater agent that screamed not talked the whole time we were talking to her. I asked hubby if she had a hearing impediment. Nope she was naturally that loud. I couldn't be in the car with her, or on the phone. I always thought it was the Aspie in me. 

9th grade - the algebra 1 teacher for Abeka Video School. Sniffles, snuffles, heavy breathing in the microphone. It was horrible! I would fast forward through the videos and just learn the material on my own.

There was also a lady I know who is so sweet and kind and generous, but her voice drives me nuts. She always sounds like she is talking to a 2-year-old, very high pitched, soft, syrupy sweet kind of voice. It feels like she is either condescending or completely insincere until you get to know her, but that is just the way she talks.

Smacking or clicking while talking, nasally voices, and just some dialects sound like nails on a chalk board. There is a Latin DVD we listen to and it is so hard for me not to want to throw the thing out the window. Very high pitched, or loud. I had a relater agent that screamed not talked the whole time we were talking to her. I asked hubby if she had a hearing impediment. Nope she was naturally that loud. I couldn't be in the car with her, or on the phone. I always thought it was the Aspie in me. 

Oh, I hate that too!

The office manager at my DD's speech therapy office.   The waiting room is open to where she works and her voice just makes me want to rip my ears off.  She's a very pleasant person, it's just her voice that gets to me.  Since I typically am sitting there for an hour per week, I've learned to tune her out as much as possible by bringing along a really interesting book.  And headphones.

When my oldest two were young they used to have a kind of high-pitched "play voice" that made me nuts. It felt like my head was going to explode.

Since going through therapy with ds10 for auditory processing disorder, I think it is likely that I had/have this as well. In some people there are specific frequencies which hit the auditory nerve particularly hard.

Captain Janeway from Star Trek Voyager used to irritate me. I eventually got used to her voice.

YES!  So glad I'm not the only one!  I've never been able to stand Kate Mulgrew's voice in any role.  I've avoided television and movies with her in them just because of that.  Her voice sets my teeth on edge like nails on a chalkboard.

I am too loud and not aware of social stuff. As far as I'm aware there are no social skills classes in rural NZ and there certainly weren't 40 years ago. My parents wouldn't have been aware it could be fixed so instead tried to keep me with younger kids in school because I was socially immature. Unfortunately I was very bright, very bored and still socually inept. Still am but I am happy enough. But I can't really help my kids can I?

I am mostly OK with voices but a lot of laughs make me want to jump out a window and run.

The woman on the show The Nanny. Didn't bother me when I was young but now I just cannot take hearing her talk. In real life, she's not as nasal-ly, but in that show and now that stupid commercial she's doing for the hair remover thing she turns up that accent and it sounds ridiculous!

Another is a preacher who comes on our small, local Christian radio station after lunch. I think he's actually syndicated maybe, but his voice makes me want to put a fork in my ear. Some of the other pastors are bad to listen to also, but this guy takes the cake.

I was just going to post that about The Nanny.

If Bernadette from the Big Bang Theory really talks like that, I feel bad for her because it most drive her friends and family nuts.

She actually doesn't normally talk like that.

However, I have to add in: Conan's voice is grating to me.

Not a voice but I have a friend who does that forced laugh after she says something especially if she thinks she's correcting you or she's right, your wrong on a subject.    I think that's the reason she did not have long term relationships.  It's extremely annoying.