Menu

Is this common when getting vaccinations? JAWM

bodiesmom

We have followed a delayed vax schedule. I phoned my pediatrician today to make an appointment to update my youngest on his vaccinations, specifically the MMR. I was told that in order for him to get his shots, he needs to be current on his well visits. The last visit he had was two years ago.

So I say, okay, fair enough- when is your next available time? The nurse (receptionist must have been away from the phones when I called) said they could get me in mid April.

????? Two months?

Smh.

We are being inundated by both local and national news to get those vaccinations current. I made an attempt to do so. And I'm given a two month wait time?

I guess this is their way to "stick it to me"?

I'm not angry. I'm just....flabbergasted.

We have since requested our records and made an appointment with my regular GP. But still.....really?

ETA- I have now been graciously educated by the WTM boards as to why a current well check is required for vaccinations ( in most places at least). 😉 thank you to everyone for being kind in doing so and not resorting to snarkiness.

WRT my comment of the "stick it to me" comment, I made that comment due to my past experience with this particular office. I have been with them for 13 years. I changed to a delayed schedule with my youngest (my oldest was 5), which means I had FIVE years of incredible care with my kiddos (those first five years I was vaccinating according to their schedule). The minute I changed to a delayed schedule, the care immediately diminished and the bullying began. I put my big girl panties on, continued to treat them with respect, and carried on. The well visits became a joke. I was in and out within 20 minutes, kid you not. I signed waivers every single time (no biggie except for the attitude that came with it on the part of the nurses), weight/height was checked, and bam, out the door. It was VERY obvious that I wasn't going to be given the time of day, let alone to have some one on one time with doc to address any concerns I may have had. The "last straw" came last October when I took my daughter in for an unexplained high fever and bone pain. Doc came in, ordered X-rays, and left. I literally had to chase her out the door to ask some questions...in the hall!

Not sure about with the vaxes... Certainly the one vax we ended up with a small delay on was because the kids had nasty colds. The doctor said, just wait until next time. Let's not add to their misery. So that doesn't seem nuts to me.

But as for the wait on the well visits... that's how far out in advance I need to make ours at our ped if I want them to be right on time. They get us in that day for illnesses, but well visits have a long wait except for the slots for infants.

The wait on a well visit is reasonable for our area. It's also common that a pediatrician won't do immunizations for a patient that they don't have current information on. It's their responsibility to make sure the patient is healthy when the vaccines are given. You could pick up a copy of his immunization record from their office and take it to the health department and get shots there in the meantime, though. 

Farrar,

That has been my experience as well in terms of scheduling a well visit far out in advanced to get them done on time. However, I guess I just don't understand why, with current outbreak conditions, they are giving me a two month wait time.

I'm definitely NOT saying they need to drop everything and get me scheduled ASAP because I chose to delay vax, I'm just smh at them not getting me in for a quick shot sooner than two months when they (meaning healthcare officials) are inundating us with warnings to get VAXED for the Measles ASAP. It's just...odd....

Good point on getting the shot records- I've done that and am now just going to my GP.

I guess my question should be.....is it common to require a well visit in order to get a shot? I didn't initally ask for a well visit. Was just told I needed one in order to get shots...hence the wait.

I can't usually get in to see my doc if a family member is sick and they're usually three months out if I want to schedule an appointment with her. I called in October to schedule our physicals in January.

You can also get vaccinations @ the county health department. If your dc are in your state's database you won't even need records. Otherwise, just bring your shot records with you. They can usually bill your insurance directly. We get our flu shots at the county health dept b/c it's easier than getting in to see our doc.

Pawz4me- you're right, I bet they are indeed being bombarded with parents trying to get their kiddos in to get caught up on vaccinations. I was just taken aback by the well visit requirement.

Thanks hive for giving me a more balanced view of this.

😃

Were you trying to schedule a vaccination or a well child visit? 

If you were trying to schedule just a vaccination did the receptionist understand that?

My pediatrician gives vaccines at well-child visits, but the office also schedules separate vaccine appointments with a nurse (no visit with the doctor, just a shot). Sometimes you miss a well child visit or can't get a vaccine at a well child visit. They still want you to get in and get the shots. 

I do think it's not too uncommon for doctors to want to do a well-child visit in addition to the vaccines. That obviously might delay some people's vaccinations, but the doctor isn't the only option for getting them done.  Our insurance didn't cover well-child visits when our oldest children were little so we'd go to the county health department for their vaccinations.  I think nearly all of their vaccines were done that way.

Good point on getting the shot records- I've done that and am now just going to my GP.

I guess my question should be.....is it common to require a well visit in order to get a shot? I didn't initally ask for a well visit. Was just told I needed one in order to get shots...hence the wait.

It is common that the doctors office require current information on the patient in order for them to get immunizations. Since your kids hadn't had a well check in two years, it is reasonable that they require that before they give any immunizations. They will usually give immunizations at that visit, and you can talk to the doctor about a schedule to get any other boosters that will be needed. Those can probably just be nurse visits until your child is due for their next well visit. Each doctors office will set their own policy on that, though. 

If you decide to get a copy of their immunization record from the doctors office and go to the health department, take the health department record back to the doctor's office when you go for the well check so that they can help you work out the schedule for any boosters that will be needed.

Were you trying to schedule a vaccination or a well child visit?

If you were trying to schedule just a vaccination did the receptionist understand that?

My pediatrician gives vaccines at well-child visits, but the office also schedules separate vaccine appointments with a nurse (no visit with the doctor, just a shot). Sometimes you miss a well child visit or can't get a vaccine at a well child visit. They still want you to get in and get the shots.

I called to make a vaccination appointment. I spoke to the nurse and she said a well visit was required since he hadn't been seen in two years (He's almost 9). I even clarified asking if I could schedule the well visit, but in the meantime get in for the shots. Nope. S....m....h.

Same happened to me when I called to ask about dtap booster. They won't give it without a physical within last year. It had been 14 months since my last one. I don't need a physical right now. I want to save my 2015 visit until fall for another reason. I heard that some pharmacies might give them or our county health dept does some vaccines. I just haven't taken the time to figure it out yet. I really think that since I work with young kids, my doc should encourage pertussis vaccination.

If a patient hasn't been seen in the last year they are "deactivated", at our doctor's office.  This means, that things like labs, shots, prescription refills etc are on hold until the patient is seen by the doctor.  Also if my kids are active I can call the nurse and say my kid has pink eye or thrush for example and they will call in the prescription without an office visit or a lab culture for strep but if they are not active, I need to have a doctor's visit scheduled.  We've been patients there for 17 years and several of my kids are deactivated and others are active.  If just depends who has been sick the most (I don't really bother with well visits).

So I guess I'm not at all surprised they want him seen before ordering shots.  As far as the length of the wait, at our clinic it really depends on your doctor.  My doctor the wait for a physical is about 6-8 months, so I typically schedule next year's at this year's visit.  The doctor my kids see, I usually can get an appointment in a week or two.

The lack of timely appointments is why we finally left our Ped.   It was next to impossible to schedule appointments, they were so busy.  So we all go to the same family practitioner now and they can schedule our next well child visit a year out.  The first time they said they could do that I nearly fell over in the office.  Maybe it's time to find a new ped?

Our doc office seems to be much more relaxed about giving vaccinations to adult 'children'. Our two youngest needed vaccinations for college this year and they haven't been seen by our primary doc for a long time. Part of that is because when they get sick they are directed to go to urgent care, which is quick but means we never see our doc except for scheduled checkups. And honestly, young adults don't schedule those often.g 

Anyway, both needed shots and they were offered appointments within a few days of calling.  No mention of needed a checkup or anything. Last week ds called to get a physical scheduled because he's going away to school in June and they require it. His appointment is next week. 

Our doc is a family doctor so he's seen the kids since they were babies/toddlers and we see him as well. 

So while I can't say whether they would give vaccinations to a kid who hasn't been seen lately, they sure didn't have any problem doing so for my young adult kids. 

My 17 yo had to have a couple of vaccinations before she started DE classes, and I just took her to the Walgreen's clinic for this very reason.  She is too old for a pediatrician anyway, but I also knew the ped would give me a hard time about not having her in for well (or sick, for that matter) visits for the last umpteen years.  I pulled the state record for her previous vaccinations and took them in to the clinic; it was a piece of cake.  The clinic, however, apparently sent the new vax info to her pediatrician, who had someone to call me to ask why we had gone to the clinic and not to them.  Ummm, 'cause y'all would have made it a thousand times more difficult?  I just didn't return the call.

But yes, I agree wholeheartedly that this would have been a good time for the office to relax its usual policy and let you schedule a vax-only appointment.  I would think they would even encourage such a thing.

Two years is a long time.  Our doctor's office would put your file separate from current patients (don't know how they specifically label it) if there was a two year hiatus.  So yes, they would require a well child visit.  In our case though because we go to the doctor a couple of times a year for illness, they don't require a well child visit as such.  And I would simply schedule a nurse visit (much easier to get and much more timely) for the vaccination.  

I am sorry, but if he hasn't been seen in two years,then they are going to need to do a well visit in addition to the shots.  If he had been seen in the past year then you could have had a 'nurse appt' and those are much easier to get.

My kids must wait a minimum of 2 months for a well child visit with our GP, if I will take an appt with any GP in the practice (there are 2-3). If I want an appt with our 'main' doctor only, it will 4-6 months!  My kids are up to date with their check ups as of this august so a nurse appt for my older son to get his last HPV vaccine only required a 2 week wait. A nurse appt is in and out, super quick, and for the shot only.

I know you said JAWM, but I really can't. No one is trying to stick it to you. This is what it looks like when you need a well care visit.

I know you said JAWM, but I really can't. No one is trying to stick it to you. This is what it looks like when you need a well care visit.

I appreciate your honesty. I've had "issues" with this particular practice in the past and I believe, unfortunately, that that is what was influencing that particular comment. I do see now that this isn't the case. :-)

Two years does seem like a long time, true, but he just hasn't been sick! 😊

That's really common here. They want a chance to sit and see if any health things have arisen that'd contraindicate vaccines since a shot only appt here is just the nurse, not a doctor.

This makes sense of course, but the well visit they offered in April was with the nurse, not the doctor. Shouldn't well visits be with the actual doctor? Another thread I suppose.

Do double check that they know who your DC is. I called recently to get a camp form for my DD, who had a physical in November, and they tried to initially schedule me for a visit because of "chronic health conditions". DD doesn't have anything beyond occasionally needing zyrtec in Spring/Fall. It turned out they'd pulled up a file on a child with a similar name (who, I'm guessing, has medical issues that may make sleep-away camp problematic). If they think your DC is one who is on a delayed schedule due to health issues, I could see requiring a checkup before giving vaccinations, even if that's not the policy across the board.

It's a legal issue in most places. To give a prescription or vaccine you must be a current patient of record. In various places that means different things, but in most places it means they have seen you in the past year, or in the past 2 years. They don't have much of a choice about that, that's the standard of care. 

We had the same issue when I worked in veterinary medicine. If you'd been seen by the doctor in the past year then yes, I could set you up with just a technician for most vaccines. (not rabies...by law in my state that had to be given by or under the direct supervision of a vet). But if you hadn't been in in more than a year, you had to see the veterinarian. 

While I can understand your frustration of having to wait, well visits in our ped's practice usually are booked about two to three months out. We have also delayed vaccines and as long as the visit is within a twelve month period of the last well visit, we have had no issues with scheduling them. We have however had a problem with the "shots" desk being a bit too aggressive with " catching up " on vaccinations. Best wishes as you resolve this issue.

Eta: is your local health dept an option for the needed vaccines?

Thank you, Artichoke.

I looked into going to the health department, but the prices of the vaccines are high! I had no idea they cost so much. For the MMR shot alone it'll be $75. Yikes!

I have already made an appointment with my doctor to have him vaccinated next week. The copay will be much cheaper than going through the HD.

Has your child not been to this dr at all in 2 years? If so, it's basicly a new patient wait time?

But my pediatrician can get us in for anything same day as long as we stay current patients. I can't rememebr the last well check appointment I did. I think 3 years ago when the last baby was born. Oh and I take my teens in at about age 15 for either first vax or booster pending the vax.

I'd find another pediatrician/family dr if I ever had more than a week wait.

Did you ask for a specific doctor (that one pediatrician) or anyone available? Because I have called and tried to schedule visits twice with the pediatrician my OBGYN recommended and she was never available. One time the wait was a couple of months for sure. I gave up and let them schedule us with different doctors at the same place.

Great question. There are several doctors in this particular practice and in the past, even as recent as last October when I took my daughter in, they gave you the soonest appoinment available unless you specifically asked for a particular doctor. I did not ask for a specific doctor.

My 17 yo had to have a couple of vaccinations before she started DE classes, and I just took her to the Walgreen's clinic for this very reason.  She is too old for a pediatrician anyway,

Our pediatrician sees kids through college age. All of the doctors that are on staff in student health at the university my son will be going to are pediatricians (there are about ten of them). 

Has your child not been to this dr at all in 2 years? If so, it's basicly a new patient wait time?

But my pediatrician can get us in for anything same day as long as we stay current patients. I can't rememebr the last well check appointment I did. I think 3 years ago when the last baby was born. Oh and I take my teens in at about age 15 for either first vax or booster pending the vax.

I'd find another pediatrician/family dr if I ever had more than a week wait.

No, this particular child hasn't been to the ped in that time (technically 20 months 😉). I do understand the reasoning now for needing to have a check up since that amount of time has passed.

Yeah, I agree with finding a new ped, though not because of their check up policy, but rather that it just seems to be growing so much that it doesn't take awhile to get in.

Two years does seem like a long time, true, but he just hasn't been sick! 😊

Actually two years isn't a long time. Our insurance pays for well baby for every two years after 6 years old.

We have our kids immunization cards so it is easy to get shots anywhere but well baby requires a two to three month advance booking.

ETA:

My kids pediatricians are at a medical center that has a seasonal vaccination clinic so for vaccinations we just need to bring the immunization record cards and register at the vaccination counter. Most go there for flu shots.

No, this particular child hasn't been to the ped in that time (technically 20 months 😉). I do understand the reasoning now for needing to have a check up since that amount of time has passed.

Yeah, I agree with finding a new ped, though not because of their check up policy, but rather that it just seems to be growing so much that it does take awhile to get in.

No idea how I managed to quote myself....sorry.

Yeah, I agree with finding a new ped, though not because of their check up policy, but rather that it just seems to be growing so much that it doesn't take awhile to get in.

Yes, that's why I'd change drs. Do you have other kids who have seen this office in that time? Luckily with 8 children under my pediatrician, some might go 2-6 years without seeing him, but usually someone sees him for something every year or so. He has never given me flack about it as long as our entire family has not dropped off the face of the earth to him. ;)

We have followed a delayed vax schedule. I phoned my pediatrician today to make an appointment to update my youngest on his vaccinations, specifically the MMR. I was told that in order for him to get his shots, he needs to be current on his well visits. The last visit he had was two years ago.

So I say, okay, fair enough- when is your next available time? The nurse (receptionist must have been away from the phones when I called) said they could get me in mid April.

????? Two months?

Smh.

We are being inundated by both local and national news to get those vaccinations current. I made an attempt to do so. And I'm given a two month wait time?

I guess this is their way to "stick it to me"?

I'm not angry. I'm just....flabbergasted.

We have since requested our records and made an appointment with my regular GP. But still.....really?

This sounds pretty standard to me for a well child check up.  Our doctor has a pretty busy practice and it can take that long to get in to see her for a well child visit.  I can understand them wanting to see him before vaccinating.  They want to make sure he is healthy before hand.

I don't think they are trying to "stick it to you."  Sounds like the office is just busy.  I usually ask to be put on the cancellation list to see if something opens up sooner.  

I looked into going to the health department, but the prices of the vaccines are high! I had no idea they cost so much. For the MMR shot alone it'll be $75. Yikes!

Wow! There wasn't a fee at our health department. They did have a donation box set on the counter. The fee schedule only included things like $5 for a lost immunization card.