Menu

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?

Jasperstone

Which do you say?

I find it odd that here in Australia it's still very much *Merry Christmas* when we are a secular nation. Whereas it seems you guys over there are saying *Happy Holidays* more often these days. Is it PC to say it? Are people offended with the greeting of Merry Christmas? Just curious.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I try not to blurt out "Merry Christmas"  to everyone but that's what comes naturally to me.  I embarrassed myself once by saying it to a lab tech who was wearing hijab and felt so stupid. She didn't appear angry or offended or anything but I just felt so dumb.

My dentist who happens to be Jewish doesn't celebrate Christmas but he always wishes us a merry one.  I don't say Merry Christmas back to him.   He also wishes me a Happy Easter to which I reply Blessed Passover.  I think it makes sense to attempt to give the greeting for the holiday someone is celebrating.   But obviously we can't know that for everyone we come in contact with. 

But in the US many people who don't believe in Christ celebrate Christmas.  They are celebrating the cultural holiday of Santa and love and gifts.  I've never come across anyone who got upset with me for saying it.

How anyone can be offended by "Happy Holidays" is beyond me.  After Christmas comes New Year's, Epiphany, a slew of holidays.  Before Christmas, some celebrated the solstice or Hanukkah. 

Wishing people good cheer is not insulting. 

Merry Christmas.  Happy Holidays.  It is all good.

'Happy Holidays' is pretty unusual here too - the UK is a strange hybrid: a country with a national religion but relatively few churchgoers.  The majority of the population is culturally Christian however, and will have gone to schools where carols were sung and the Christmas story was taught.

I'm happy with any greeting of good will.

Laura (atheist)

Either.  Both.

I agree that I don't understand how people can logically be offended by Happy Holidays (not that I've ever met anyone who actually seemed to be offended by it).  There really are quite a number of holidays within the span of a few weeks.  I think they must have to either work really hard to be offended by it, or they just haven't thought about it much.  Likewise, I think people who are offended by Merry Christmas need to get over themselves.  IMO it's the intent of the good wish that matters.

Happy Holidays came from Happy Holy Days. So it can still be considered a religious greeting in my book. I hear Holy Days every time I hear holiday. I'm not religious but I say Merry Christmas. I don't attach any religious meaning to Christmas. It's secular and consumerism as far as I'm concerned. I see no evidence otherwise in my area. I don't even see signs in front of churches with a Christmas message. I guess cars in the parking lots on Christmas Eve will be the closest I see.

Happy Holidays is a lot more common in my little corner of the US (except for the endless Facebook posts from people trying to revive the "war on Christmas" :rolleyes: ).  We have a large Jewish, Hindu, Muslim population so there's not as much of an assumption that everyone is celebrating Christmas. 

Merry Christmas. I also have friends of other backgrounds and I am just as capable of saying Happy Diwali and Hannukah and anything else to them as they are to say Merry Christmas to me. I am not going to pretend Christmas does not exist. Someone said Happy Kwanza to us the other day. I did not get in to a huff and demand that they said Happy Holidays only.

Which do you say?

I find it odd that here in Australia it's still very much *Merry Christmas* when we are a secular nation. Whereas it seems you guys over there are saying *Happy Holidays* more often these days. Is it PC to say it? Are people offended with the greeting of Merry Christmas? Just curious.

Merry Christmas.

"Happy holidays" isn't necessarily a bad thing, but which other "holidays" that occur in December include trees, nativities, sending cards to everyone, Santa, stockings hung by the fire, parties that include exchanging gifts, massive family dinners...um...

Merry Christmas.

"Happy holidays" isn't necessarily a bad thing, but which other "holidays" that occur in December include trees, nativities, sending cards to everyone, Santa, stockings hung by the fire, parties that include exchanging gifts, massive family dinners...um...

Saint Nicholas Day (December 6)?  Saint Lucia's Day (December 13)?  There are numerous holiday traditions celebrated here and around the world in December.

Saint Nicholas Day (December 6)?  Saint Lucia's Day (December 13)?  There are numerous holiday traditions celebrated here and around the world in December.

Also, don't forget Three Kings Day, which is the actual end of the 12 Days of Christmas.

And of course, many Russians do the whole "Christmas" celebration, with trees and presents and all, for New Year instead of Christmas. If you live in an area with a large Russian population you're sure to have come across that.

Oh, and don't forget that many Jews in the US exchange gifts for Hanukkah and have parties and eat special holiday foods and even, occasionally, have a tree. Hanukkah is technically a minor holiday, but because it's intertwined in Christian-majority areas with the Christmas season it does seem to accrete big-holiday trappings.

On to the original question, I think it is massively silly to get offended at what people say. They don't mean anything by it. There is no War on Christmas if retailers, hoping to increase their revenue, say the alliterative Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas.

Oh, come on. You *know* that most people are not actually celebrating those in the same way that Christmas is celebrated, especially not in the U.S. Do you put up a tree for St. Nicholas Day? St. Lucia's Day? No. Do you go St. Nicholas caroling? St. Lucia caroling? Do you fly across country to visit family for St. Nicholas Day?

Those are worthy events to celebrate, but you *know* that they aren't what makes the big celebration.

Oh, come on. You *know* that most people are not actually celebrating those in the same way that Christmas is celebrated, especially not in the U.S. Do you put up a tree for St. Nicholas Day? St. Lucia's Day? No. Do you go St. Nicholas caroling? St. Lucia caroling? Do you fly across country to visit family for St. Nicholas Day?

Those are worthy events to celebrate, but you *know* that they aren't what makes the big celebration.

I know that when I wish somebody holiday greetings, I don't interrogate them on how they celebrate that holiday first. There are plenty of people who don't do any of those trappings for Christmas but still observe it.

Merry Christmas.

Holiday in December (this year/many years) - sending cards, parties that include exchanging gifts, massive family dinners - Hanukkah. :001_smile: 

Merry Christmas.

Um, I put up a Solstice Tree and decorate it and send Solstice Cards and give my kids Stockings on St. Nicholas Day (but only because it's tradition)  We also exchange gifts and have a massive family dinner on Solstice.  Those celebrating Christmas don't have the market cornered on trees and celebration.  

The view of "Oh Come on, what is really more important than Christmas" is what plays a big roll in this who kerfuffle over the 'war on Christmas'

Forgot to say, in my book, the only proper response to anyone saying Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Solstice, Happy Holidays, Happy Kwanzaa, etc is "Thank you and to you too."  Period!

Look, if you want to get your knickers in a knot if someone wishes you "Happy Holidays", fine.  I am just pointing out that this is a celebratory time of year among many cultures with numerous holidays.  I am never offended if someone wishes me good cheer.

By the way, you might be interested to learn that traditionally Christmas was a religious holiday in many European cultures, with the gift giving and festive caroling occurring prior to 12/24 or 12/25 on various saints' feast days.  Christmas has not been celebrated through time as Americans do today--which I am sure you know.  If I had family in the Netherlands and wanted to celebrate with young children, I would certainly prefer to be there for Saint Nicholas day.

I don't know that. We do actually decorate our tree on St. Nicholas Day. And my girls look forward to St. Lucia morning just as much as they do Christmas morning. We deliberately try to celebrate all the holy days that fall during Advent, and I would imagine that other people (not the majority, for sure, but there are some), do as well.

Well, those are also Christian holidays, so no, they aren't the big celebration.  I think it's harder being a minority culture/religion that doesn't officially celebrate Christmas.  Seems like the secular part of Christmas tends to bleed over...

My dds both received a present from a Buddhist friend - from an Asian family who has always been Buddhist not an American convert.  Christmas present? Holiday?  Is there even a Buddhist holiday around now?  I think it's more 'spirit of the season???'

Then we are friends with a family who is Hindu on the father's side and Jewish on the mother's, although neither parent is particularly religious at all.  The mom tried to do "solstice" for a few years, but apparently the whole thing has slid right back to opening presents on Christmas.  I asked their dd what was up with that, and she said, but we just like giving each other things and celebrating... well, Solstice would have technically stood in, but apparently the Hindu(ish) dad for some reason really wanted to do Christmas day... go figure...

I tend to repeat whatever greeting is given me, Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, it's all fine to me.

Merry Christmas.

I'm completely confused.  You can't wish for someone to have a joyous holiday unless it includes YOUR traditions?   Jews celebrate Hanukkah, Pagans celebrate Yule, some African-Americans celebrate Kwanzaa... but if they don't have trees and stockings, they aren't worthy of a holiday greeting?

By the way, you might be interested to learn that traditionally Christmas was a religious holiday in many European cultures, with the gift giving and festive caroling occurring prior to 12/24 or 12/25 on various saints' feast days.  Christmas has not been celebrated through time as Americans do today--which I am sure you know.  If I had family in the Netherlands and wanted to celebrate with young children, I would certainly prefer to be there for Saint Nicholas day.

And in many (most?) Spanish-speaking countries they celebrate with the gift-giving and big celebration on Jan. 6th for 3 Kings Day.  Christmas Day really isn't a big deal.  They have Christmas parades and 3 Kings in the dept. store to ask for gifts all leading up to Jan. 6th.

And in many (most?) Spanish-speaking countries they celebrate with the gift-giving and big celebration on Jan. 6th for 3 Kings Day.  Christmas Day really isn't a big deal.  They have Christmas parades and 3 Kings in the dept. store to ask for gifts all leading up to Jan. 6th.

I am always in the mood for a party which is why I have enjoyed learning about how others celebrate their family, religious and cultural holidays.  A group of Orthodox Serbs invited me to their celebrations when I lived elsewhere.  It was so interesting and fun! 

Around here, most people just use Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays interchangeably.  I reply with whichever one was said to me, and if I'm the one saying it first, I'll use either.  When you get right down to it, no matter which religion or lack thereof you celebrate, people are basically saying, "I hope you have no major disasters this month, and that your family doesn't make you want to run screaming down the street."  

I wish Merry Christmas to everybody who I know is celebrating Christmas, and to my friends (whether they celebrate or not - becasue *I* celebrate - nobody I know in person is going to have any issues with my wish), and to everybody on Christmas Day.

I wish Happy Hannukah to people I know are Jewish (for example my student who is a rabbi), but the Jewish community here is very very small.

I wish Happy Solstice on solstice day to everybody, even to people who do not observe the solstice.

I wish Happy Epiphany on January 6th, to everybody.

I wish Happy Holidays when addressing my students in writing in my function as a university professor because I have to be careful not to offend. But on the last day of class I wished a Merry Christmas to everybody who celebrates Christmas, and a Happy whatever holiday to everybody who celebrates a different holiday, and a fabulous winter break to all of them, regardless of what, or if, they celebrate.

It boggles my mind how a well meaning wish can be misconstrued as offensive.

I think this http://www.joeydevilla.com/2013/12/08/the-flowchart-for-dealing-with-greetings-this-holiday-season/

sums it up perfectly.

I definitely wished a Happy St Nicholas day to people I encountered on St. Nicholas Day.

Likewise with Solstice - on solstice day, I wish a happy solstice. Whether other people celebrate it or not.

Merry Christmas.

Massive family dinners... check

Exchanging gifts... check

Sending cards to everyone... check

Menorrahs in the windows... check

Dreidels, chocolate coins, jelly donuts, latkes... check

Christians do not have a monopoly on festive holidays. 

I try to go with Happy Holidays if I know the person is on Christian, but for the most part I just blurt out random seasonal wishes.

We participate in St Nicholas and St Lucia activities. SIL likes to make a huge deal of St Nicholas Day, which sort of fascinates me since she seems so anti-Catholic (we're all Protestant). And Dh is so involved in business with people in Mexico that Three Kings Day has become part of our seasonal landscape.

All theComing of the Light celebrations this time of year are interesting.

I find it ironic that often the very folks who insist on "Merry Christmas" from everyone and loudly declaim any change in publicly-sanctioned Christmas displays are in many ways the religious descendants of the Puritans (wanting a theocratic government, keeping Christianity pure, etc), the ones who banned any private or public celebration of Christmas as anti-Christian and way too "Catholic".

We say both, as well as Happy Solstice or Happy Hanukkah or Happy New Year, depending on the situation. We put up a decorated Solstice tree, open our Solstice presents by the fire, ride around looking at lights as part of our Solstice tradition, have (our) traditional Solstice foods at family dinner, etc. ;)

As part of our tradition, we also enjoy listening to http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5060356 where Diane Roberts imagines this same issue in the ancient Roman Empire :).

Merry Christmas.

Why do celebrations have to include trees, natives, cards, Santa, stockings, gifts, or massive dinners to "count" as a legitimate holiday in December?

:huh:

Around here happy holidays is more common because we live in a pretty diverse area and you can't really assume the person is Christian (unless they have a cross necklace or some identifying thing, but that's not too common around here).

Well, I try not to blurt out "Merry Christmas"  to everyone but that's what comes naturally to me.  I embarrassed myself once by saying it to a lab tech who was wearing hijab and felt so stupid. She didn't appear angry or offended or anything but I just felt so dumb.

My dentist who happens to be Jewish doesn't celebrate Christmas but he always wishes us a merry one.  I don't say Merry Christmas back to him.   He also wishes me a Happy Easter to which I reply Blessed Passover.  I think it makes sense to attempt to give the greeting for the holiday someone is celebrating.   But obviously we can't know that for everyone we come in contact with. 

But in the US many people who don't believe in Christ celebrate Christmas.  They are celebrating the cultural holiday of Santa and love and gifts.  I've never come across anyone who got upset with me for saying it.

:iagree:

I have a dear friend- I wish her and her family a Happy Solstice and they wish me & mine a Merry Christmas.

I say "Happy Holidays" unless I know they're Christian. A greeting is for the benefit of the other person, not myself, so why would I greet everyone with "Merry Christmas" just because I'm Christian?

Many people who are celebrating Christmas are not actually Christian.

I agree that a greeting is for the benefit of the other person, but if somebody finds joy and blessing in Holiday X and wants to share of this, I'll be touched, even if it is not a holiday I celebrate myself.