Menu

Mindless Poll of the Evening: Ham & Thanksgiving

chocolatechip

Ham & Thanksgiving  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Does ham belong on the Thanksgiving menu?

• Yes, absolutely; it wouldn't be Thanksgiving without ham and turkey.
    • Eh. If you want it; whatever.
    • What? Ham on Thanksgiving?
    • Obligatory other

I don't normally associate ham with Thanksgiving but this year we are having both. I am co-hosting dinner with some friends, and a couple of them said ham was a must, so I bought a ham.  Someone else is bringing the turkey, but I am also roasting one tomorrow so we have leftovers. 

It belongs on the menu if you, your family or your guests want it.

We have ham because neither DH nor the boys really care for turkey.

When my mom was alive and we did Thanksgiving at her house we had some great non-traditional meals.  I don't think we ever had turkey.

Thanksgiving IMO is about spending time and sharing food with family and friends. What you eat isn't important.

At my in-laws', it's turkey all the way for Thanksgiving, ham or turkey for Christmas. At my parents', it's been ham (for years a baked canned ham), meatballs, bbq (chopped pork). etc for Thanksgiving, depending on the year because several in my stepmother's extended family don't like turkey, and the Christmas gathering is a late breakfast (country ham, sausage, bacon, eggs, grits, biscuits, etc). At our house (though we never have Thanksgiving or Christmas here, we end up at both sets of parents because they are close by), I have 3 turkeys in the freezer and one thawed ready to be cooked tomorrow (two 25 pounders and two 22 pounders). We roast them, cut up the meat, and freeze it for all sorts of things throughout the coming months.

My preference is turkey on Thanksgiving, ham at Christmas (I prefer spiral sliced, my husband regular).

I voted both. But, this year, we are having Thanksgiving at a (non native born American) and we aren't having EITHER! Ack! Chicken and lamb! Holy cow! It's sacrilege. I'm bringing the stuffing, mashed potatoes, yeast rolls, apple pie, and pumpkin pie. . . so at least those essentials will be on the table. So, anyway, I can be flexible . ..  but if I were hosting it, there'd be both. :)

Growing up, my family had turkey for Thanksgiving, ham for Easter, and Christmas was whatever the hostess that year preferred (prime rib, beef Wellington, lasagna, rack of lamb, goose, individual Cornish game hens, etc.)

DH doesn't like turkey so we often do ham for Thanksgiving. But last Easter I had trouble finding a small enough ham and we wound up eating leftovers for a week. So when I queried what the family wanted, they all immediately piped up, "NO HAM!!!!"

Until this thread, I'd never ever heard of ham for thanksgiving. I'm kind of shocked, lol. 

You should stop by a Honeybaked Ham store the week of Thanksgiving.  The lines are unbelievable, and although they sell turkeys I'd say most people are getting ham.  The stores here open at 7:00 a.m. Thanksgiving week and many also set up stocked tents in their parking lots to speed things up.  Both the stores and the tents have very long, switchback, Disney style lines to keep things under control.  I picked our ham up early on Monday morning to avoid the madness, and still had to wait in line about 10-15 minutes.  That was about 10:00 on Monday morning.

I don't really like ham at any time, and we never have a crowd big enough to justify two meats. If anything, we sometimes have a chicken instead of a turkey, just because it's smaller.

Christmas varies. We have whatever we're in the mood for.

Dh makes a ham at Easter.