Menu

Star Trek or Star Wars

Star Trek or Star Wars  

235 members have voted

1. 1. The better of the two is

Star Wars. (Episodes 4-6, NOT the new episodes 1-3 which are an utter travesty.)

It is the formative back drop of my youth.

:iagree: Never understood the appeal of Star Trek at all. Although Chris Pine has made the latest two movies more palpable.  :drool5:

ETA: I have NEVER been considered cool so obviously this will be the wrong choice to be in the cool group!

We just finished watching season two of "Once Upon a Time." Does anyone else think that Captain Hook is like a much better looking version of Quark from Deep Space Nine? They are both consistent in siding with themselves and whoever happens to currently align with their goals, and everyone knows this, yet people still keep relying on them or making deals.

Star Trek. While I appreciate them both, Star Trek has a much larger impact on humanity. Star Wars is classic hero's journey fantasy. 

Ds and I had a long discussion this weekend on the merits of Star Trek inspiring future science, including space exploration. I remember watching Voyager and thinking so cool it would be to have one of those little portable computer things. At the time my CRT monitor weighed about a ton and took up the entire desk, even cell phones were just phones then. 

Star Trek not only gives us technology, it shows us how to be the best humans exploring so many cultural issues, simply using "aliens" in place of those not like us on Earth. 

Ds used to hurry up to get school done to watch DS9 every afternoon. I'm glad he had that experience taking his life lessons from the various Captains and their crews. 

I voted Trek, but honestly I love both. Star Wars (well, the original trilogy, can't stand the prequels) is a prototypical grand epic, the battle of good and evil in which Good comes off supreme. There are reasons that story has been around for millennia!

Star Trek isn't a grand epic, at it's best it is psychological exploration, a playground of ideas set in a universe which allows for almost limitless exploration of such.

Star Trek, hands down. Mostly because I'm disappointed in Lucas.

I now imagine many SW fans saying, "Luuuucccccaaaasssss!" in a Captain Kirk voice.

Star Trek, for the same reason. And I had "Return of the Jedi" sheets, curtains, and lunchbox as a kid.

I have a teeny, tiny flame of hope that the next three Star Wars will be better than Episodes I-III. I also imagine there were studio execs who wanted to remove Lucas from the new films before the whole franchise reputation went down in flames.

Star Trek. While I appreciate them both, Star Trek has a much larger impact on humanity. Star Wars is classic hero's journey fantasy. 

Ds and I had a long discussion this weekend on the merits of Star Trek inspiring future science, including space exploration. I remember watching Voyager and thinking so cool it would be to have one of those little portable computer things. At the time my CRT monitor weighed about a ton and took up the entire desk, even cell phones were just phones then. 

Star Trek not only gives us technology, it shows us how to be the best humans exploring so many cultural issues, simply using "aliens" in place of those not like us on Earth. 

Ds used to hurry up to get school done to watch DS9 every afternoon. I'm glad he had that experience taking his life lessons from the various Captains and their crews. 

:iagree: Very well stated!

eta: And let's face it! Patrick Stewart in a kilt beats Harrison Ford in a kilt any day! :D

I am going to have to go with Star Trek, I love both but it seems like those who run Star Trek seem to care about the fans and the story more.

I know George Lucas has said he is trying to cater to kids but that doesn't mean the story needs to suffer.

I did watch some bad Star Trek movies and I resent it, but none of those compare with the new Star Wars movies. Vader yelling "NNNNuuuuuuuuuuuuu"  made me laugh. He was just sloppy and corny.

They have made some continuity errors in Star Trek but I don't recall anyone dying of *mope*  The whale movie was silly (when it came out I thought it was awesome but I was a kid at the time) but it didn't annoy me as much that.

If we were just talking about the old movies I would  choose Star Wars but episode #2 and #3 make me want to tear my hair out. I liked episode #1 ok. It had some cool light saber fighting and I liked Darth Maul. 

I haven't seen enough Star Trek to form an opinion. I vaguely recall a Star Trek movie when I was pretty young and a few snippets or clips here and there but I've never really seen it and what little I did see I don't really recall. By the time my parents lifted their really heavy TV restrictions, I was a hardcore bookworm hiding away while my mom and little brother watched TV. I know they used to watch Star Trek and I know that is when I saw one of the movies - it was on TV.

I'd only seen snippets of Star Wars (this was when I was under 7 and very occasionally my family would rent a VCR from the convenience store) until I was pretty close to adulthood and my friends did a marathon of 4-6 largely because I'd never seen the movies. I saw 1 and 2 in the theater with my husband but we decided that whatever was coming next just wasn't worth it.

I did buy a VCR at Goodwill for $1.29 to play the episodes 4-6 tapes my husband has owned since he was a child for our sons. They love them. But the tape format was sorta weird to them, lol. They really didn't understand what rewind meant. :P

So I just don't know. Star Nothin? I do like Star Wars ok but it's not a big deal to me and I've never bothered to learn what I missed by not ever watching Star Trek.

Cupcakes!  Both!  I'm indecisive!

Lordof the Rings???? Okay, Star Trek I guess.

Oh and this!

If I had to choose which franchise I wanted to see more of I would choose Firefly.

No, this one!

Well after all that excitement I need a margarita.

Meh. I can take or leave either one, but I went with Star Trek because of what EL said. 

And because of this - How William Shatner Changed the World

I liked the first 3 Star Wars movies, which are supposedly the last 3 but will always be the first 3 to me.  :lol:

My write-in votes are for Stargate SG-1 (the tv series - the movie not so much) and Battlestar Gallactica (except for the series finale which I thought was the lazy way out).

If Star Wars had ended in 1982 (as it should have), I would have voted Star Wars, because that initial trilogy was darn near perfect.  But, its integrity has been completely annihilated by the follow-up/prequel trilogy and the Disnification of the upcoming fresh hell that is next.

So... Star Trek.

If Star Wars had ended in 1982 (as it should have), I would have voted Star Wars, because that initial trilogy was darn near perfect.  But, its integrity has been completely annihilated by the follow-up/prequel trilogy and the Disnification of the upcoming fresh hell that is next.

So... Star Trek.

I am interested in what is going to happen with the new ones. I did like the new Star Trek movies and J.J. Abrams did those as well.

Wait. What? You mean to tell me they *aren't* working on the light saber? How about blasters? Light Speed hyperdrives? Robot servants?

I feel lied to.

Every Star Wars movie begins  with, "Long, Long Ago."

Star Wars is set in the past. It is a history story, they have done  the exploring and they have their Galactic Senate. Sometimes they come across a new species but rarely and even then all of those have been wiped out in the Great Genocide of Disney Resetting Canon.

Star Trek is set in the future.