Menu

ISO: easy-peasy foolproof delicious and cheap dessert

plain jane

Oreo Truffles

A little time consuming, but can be made by the zillion and frozen.

One package of regular Oreos mixed with 8oz of cream cheese (that's one of the small boxes)

Mush it, and roll it into little balls

Melt chocolate (I like semi sweet)

Roll it in the chocolate

Refrigerate to harden

You can drizzle melted white chocolate over it to make it pretty if you want

Note: I used 2 batches of white chocolate with either red or green food coloring for Christmas and it looked stupid.

I've posted elsewhere about these scones, but they are truly perfect.

http://principessabeautyblog.blogspot.com/2012/08/delicious-homemade-scones-la-julia-child.html

This recipe leaves out one step: brush the scones with butter and sprinkle them with sugar right before you put them in the oven. Also, I just form the dough into a rough 1" tall circle and cut it into wedges.

You can make them a little ahead of time but I prefer to put them in the oven right after dinner and they're ready in 12 minutes. Served hot or cold with whichever berries are in season and whipped cream.

ETA: Sometimes for a crowd I either bake two batches (which makes 24) or just cut them smaller and reduce the baking time a bit.

Another thing I did a few summers back was watch sale ads for nice quality ice cream bars to go on sale. Klondike Bars were down to around $1 with a store coupon for a six pack and I stocked up for BBQs.

Found my blog stash (sorry about the font). For the record I am the one who started the "Ask a Formerly Obese Person" Thread.  :leaving:

Almond Frosting (For Red Velvet Cake)
1 stick butter
½ cup shortening
1 cup sugar
Mix until sugar is melted
3 tbsp flour (1 at a time)
2/3 cup milk
1 tsp almond extract
Beat until light and fluffy

Bread Pudding
1 10 oz. Loaf stale French bread, crumbled (or 6-8 cups any type bread)
4 cups milk
2 cups sugar
8 tbsp butter, melted
3 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup raisins
1 cup coconut
1 cup chopped pecans
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
Combine all ingredients. Mixture should be very moist but not soupy. Pour into buttered 9†X 12†baking dish or larger. Place into non-preheated oven. Bake at 350 degrees for approx 1 hour and 15 minutes, until top is golden brown. Serve warm with sauce.
*cover with sugar to caramelize

Whiskey Sauce (For Bread Pudding)
8 Tbsp. butter (1 stick)
1 ½ cup powdered sugar
Cream butter and sugar over medium heat until all butter is absorbed.
2 egg yolks
Remove from heat and blend in egg yolk.
½ cup bourbon (to taste)
Pour in bourbon to your own taste, stirring constantly. Sauce will thicken as it cools. Serve warm over bread pudding.
*Note: For a variety of sauces, just substitute your favorite fruit juice or liqueur to compliment your bread pudding.

Chipotle Flourless Chocolate Cake
Preheat oven to 350. Line bottom of 9 ½ inch pan with a circle of parchment paper. Grease sides and parchment with butter or non-stick cooking spray.
10 oz semisweet chocolate (roughly chopped)
7 tablespoons unsalted butter (cut into pieces)
Melt together, stirring occasionally until smooth
5 large eggs (room temperature)
1 cup sugar
Wisk eggs and sugar together, slowly stirring in melted chocolate.
Add
½ tsp cinnamon
¾ tsp chipotle chili powder
Dash of cayenne pepper
Pinch of salt
Pour into pan, bake for 22-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Let cool completely.
Powdered sugar for dusting (optional)

Coconut Croissant Bread Pudding
8 egg yolks
4 whole eggs
2 ½ cups milk
1 can (13 ½ ounces) coconut milk
1 cup sugar
1 tsp coconut extract
1 tsp vanilla
½ tsp salt
Whisk together
5 large croissants
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup sweetened flake coconut
Coat a 2 ½ quart baking dish with cooking spary. Cut croissants in half horizontally. Place bottom halves, cut-side up, in prepared dish. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and coconut. Cover with top halves of croissants, cut –side down. Pour egg mixture over top. Top with baking sheet weighed down with cans so croissants get pressed into and submerged in liquid. Let stand 30 minutes.
Heat oven to 350. Remove baking sheet used as weight. 

Open-Faced Peach Pie

Crust-
2 cups flour
1 tsp sugar
¼ tsp salt
¾ cup lard
Mix
1 egg
1 tsp vinigar
¼ cup cold water
Mix all
Wrap and refrigerate overnight

Pie-
1/3 cup flour
¼ cup butter
1 cup sugar
Mix
Spread dough in pan and sprinkle ½ of mixture
Lay 12 peach halves over crust
Sprinkle ½ of mixture
Sprinkle nutmeg over peaches
4 tablespoons water over crust
Bake at 400 for 30 minutes

Pralines (follow recipe exactly)(use a wooden spoon)
1 ½ cup sugar
¾ cup light brown sugar, packed
½ cup milk
6 tbsp butter (3/4 stick)
1 ½ cup pecans, (roasted optional) (use pieces)
1 tsp vanilla
Combine all ingredients and bring to a “softball stage†(238-240 degrees), stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
Stir until mixture thickens, becomes creamy and cloudy, and pecans stay suspended in mixture.
Spoon out on buttered waxed paper, aluminum foil or parchment paper. When using waxed paper, be sure to buffer with newspaper underneath, as hot wax will transfer to whatever is beneath.
    Note: To roast pecans, bake them on a sheet pan at 275 degrees for 20-25 minutes, until slightly browned and fragrant.
    *When you place a spoonful into a glass of water it sticks to the side.
    Options: Praline sauce (add ½ cup corn syrup to mixture.) Chocolate covered praline candy. Flavored pralines (chocolate, coffee, brandy, etc.)

Rice Krispy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 stick butter
1 stick margarine
Soften
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup white sugar
1 ¼ cup flour
Tsp baking soda
Tsp baking powder
Tsp vanilla
Mix it
1 beaten egg
Mix it
2 cups oatmeal
2 cups rice crispies
½ bag chocolate chips
Mix it all
Bake @ 325 for 12 minutes

This is easy, tasty, and great with any kind of berries, although I prefer to use mixed berries. It's nice with lemon curd and berries, too. In addition to buying heavy cream for the cake batter, I also buy a can of whipped cream because I usually don't want the extra step of whipping cream myself for topping. And, the heavy cream you don't use to top the cake and berries can go towards making more cake! I prefer to use heavy cream that is not ultra-pasteurized and that I buy at Trader Joe's.

Here's an article about simple recipes using summer fruits. We love clafoutis at our house. I prefer making them when bosc pears are in season, but really, they are delicious with just about any fruit. We've tried clafoutis with berries, apples, plums, and cherries. Plums soaked in cherry liquor, too. 

With so many berries and stone fruits in season I'd go with a galette/crostata. They are very easy to make and a lovely, rustic way to highlight all the fruit is season. It's essentially pastry filled with fruit and tucked over edges. With warm English custard, ice cream, whipped cream or plain cream they make a delicious dessert.

Chocolate pies:

2 graham cracker crusts

1 large pkg instant chocolate pudding

1 large tub whipped topping, thawed

Make pudding according to directions.

Mix half of the tub of whipped topping into pudding.

Fill both crusts with pudding mixture

Top each pie with remaining whipped topping

Optional* sprinkle pies with chocolate shavings or mini chocolate chips

Easy Fruit Torte

White, yellow, or chocolate cake mix

8 oz. cream cheese

1 c. confectioners sugar

8 oz. Cool Whip, thawed

1 can prepared pie filling

Prepare cake in a 9x13 inch pan.  Cool completely.  Beat together cream cheese and confectioners sugar.  Beat cream cheese mixture into Cool Whip.  Spread on cake and top with pie filling.

Good combinations:  devil's food cake with cherry pie filling or yellow cake with any type of berries

Disclaimer:  Obviously this recipe is full of junk. However, it is super easy, fairly cheap, and people like it.  :)  One could, I suppose, make it less unhealthy by using homemade cake, real whipped cream, and fresh fruit instead of pie filling.  

With so many berries and stone fruits in season I'd go with a galette/crostata. They are very easy to make and a lovely, rustic way to highlight all the fruit is season. It's essentially pastry filled with fruit and tucked over edges. With warm English custard, ice cream, whipped cream or plain cream they make a delicious dessert.

Peach-Plum-Apricot-Galette.gif

67610bbf-1495-4ab2-9178-cb918eae088c.jpg

You see it as lovely and rustic.  That's because you have some culture. Years ago I made a beautiful one for some guests and they thought it was so cute that my then 8 year old daughter was allowed to make dessert.  Yup. They thought it was supposed to be a pie and that dd just didn't do it right.   No, folks, *I* made this and it's *supposed* to look like this.    

I love this one because it's easy to keep the ingredients on hand.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chocolate-Eclair-Cake/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=chocolate%20eclair&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=%2fmy%2frecipebox%2fdefault.aspx&soid=sr_results_p1i3

I like this better than the ones with canned frosting because canned frosting tastes icky to me.

You see it as lovely and rustic. That's because you have some culture. Years ago I made a beautiful one for some guests and they thought it was so cute that my then 8 year old daughter was allowed to make dessert. Yup. They thought it was supposed to be a pie and that dd just didn't do it right. No, folks, *I* made this and it's *supposed* to look like this.

Oh, Annie!

Did they try some at least?

Oh, Annie!

Did they try some at least?

Yeah, they did. But of course they thought it should taste like pie and the fruit in a galette isn't like canned or frozen pie filling, and my crust was thicker and more brown than a typical pie. Let's not even start on the sugar crystals that I had sprinkled on the crust...the large ones I bought from King Arthur paid top dollar for...

We like this:

dump a can of cherry pie filling in crock pot

fork-mix 1 box yellow cake mix + 1 stick softened butter til crumbly

dump cake mixture over cherry filling

sprinkle with pecans or walnuts

Cook on (low or high, can't remember, gonna go look) for 2 hours.

Turns into a yummy cobbler.  Great with whip cream or ice cream!

Yeah, they did. But of course they thought it should taste like pie and the fruit in a galette isn't like canned or frozen pie filling, and my crust was thicker and more brown than a typical pie. Let's not even start on the sugar crystals that I had sprinkled on the crust...the large ones I bought from King Arthur paid top dollar for...

I'm sorry!

I would have LOOOOOVED it!

I'm a "fruity dessert" person. (And a fruity person :lol:)

My go to summer desserts are:

Trifle similar to this- http://www.melskitchencafe.com/heavenly-blueberry-and-cream-angel-dessert/ except you can cheat and use pie filling, I prefer blueberry or cherry.

Brownies with vanilla ice cream.

Angel Lush- http://m.kraftrecipes.com/recipedetail.do?recipeid=74114&cn=US

Easy cheesecake made in a 9x13 with cherry pie filling dumped on top

Coconut Poke Cake- very YUM! http://www.thecountrycook.net/2012/05/coconut-cream-poke-cake.html?m=1

We like this no-bake "key lime" pie in the summer:

1 can condensed milk

6. oz limeaide (find in the frozen juice section)

12 oz. cool whip

2 graham cracker crusts

Mix all, pour in crusts (makes 2 pies).

Also can use

Also this Dreamsicle pie:

1 can condensed milk

2/3 c. Tang

16. oz cool whip

16 oz sour cream

2 graham cracker crusts

Lots of people, cheap and foolproof?

Watermelon

That's what I was thinking! I cut it in sticks to make it easy to eat.

I bought several boxes of peaches last year and prepped them for cobbler in freezer bags. It has the lemon juice frozen with them, so I just pull out a bag to thaw slightly and make the crust recipe. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/easy-peach-cobbler-recipe.html

And we picked a zillion strawberries and froze those too. In addition to the peach cobbler bags, I have fruit/sugar/lemon juice mixture frozen for ice cream. We like the Ben & Jerry recipes.

And then just plain fruit with a little sugar and lemon juice--my grandmother would do this and pull it out to thaw slightly and serve over pound cake or plain cake. The sugar and lemon form a syrup with the fruit's juice. This cake is easy and good. It has a light texture and works really well as a base for shortcake (strawberry or peach).

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/hot-milk-cake

Texas sheet cake

Brownies (we keep the Ghirardelli mix from Costco on hand, along with the Costco Kirkland chocolate chips). I found this "doctored" version on Chowhound and love it: Make your brownie mix according to package directions then when the brownies come out of the oven, pour this topping over them hot---it will set up as they cool. Topping: in a sauce pan put 1 cup sugar, 1/3 cup milk, and 1/3 cup butter. Bring to a boil and boil for 1 minute by the clock, stirring constantly. Dump in 1 cup chocolate chips and stir until they melt. (As the brownies cool, you will have a layer of fudge on top of them.)

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/877040

Make a double batch of chocolate chip (or PB or sugar or...) cookies, shape into balls with a scoop, freeze on a sheet tray until solid, then throw them in a zipper bag. Fresh cookies anytime!

Chocolate Chip Meringue:

2 egg whites (room temperature)

1 cup sugar

1 tsp vanilla

6oz chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325

Beat egg whites until stiff peaks begin to form.  Add sugar 2 tbls at a time.  Mix well after each addition.  Add vanilla.  Fold in chocolate chips. Drop by teaspoonful onto baking sheets.  Bake 20-25 minutes (until golden)

Fudge:

1 can condensed milk

1 12 oz bag chocolate chips

1 tsp vanilla

optional add in: marshmallow, nuts, etc.

Grease pan. line with wax paper.

Heat milk and chocolate chips in microwave for 1 minute.  Stir.  Heat at 10-20 second intervals until smooth. Mix in vanilla and optional ingredients.  Pour into prepared pan. You do have to act somewhat quick before fudge hardens.  Cut into small, bite size pieces.  It is very rich and most people only eat a few pieces.

Last week for a meeting, I took advantage of the cheap strawberries that are available right now. I cut up two pounds of strawberries, sprinkled a little sugar on them, and let them sit. I also bought a couple of angel food cakes and cut them into chunks. And I bought a big tub of whipped cream. I let people make their own strawberry shortcakes (customizing the amount of strawberries and whipped cream to their own taste). I think thawed frozen strawberries would work just as well. Can't get much easier than that, and the kids loved making their own dessert. 

Wait, I have to make room for a tray in my freezer? How is this done? ;)

Re: frozen cookie dough. I've done this before. You can use a plate (or plates, as needed). Scoop balls of dough and place them next to each other on the plate then freeze. (You might line the plate with parchment if your dough is particularly sticky but I haven't had a problem with sticking for chocolate chip cookie or sugar cookie doughs.) Once they're frozen through you can store them in a zip bag or bowl. But you want to keep them separate while freezing so they don't stick to each other which makes them harder to use later. For baking, use them straight out of the freezer and add a minute or two to the baking time.

I take a yellow cake mix, substitute orange juice for the water, mix in a drained can of mandarin oranges (the mixer breaks up the sections) and bake in a 9x13 pan. Then I top it with another can of drained mandarin oranges and cool whip. My husband loves this.

If you wanted to change it up, you could sub drained crushed pineapple for one of the cans of oranges and sprinkle coconut on the top, maybe some chopped toasted pecans or other nuts.

Wait, I have to make room for a tray in my freezer? How is this done? ;)

I shove a rimmed cookie sheet (jelly roll pan usually fits in side by side freezer) lined with a Silpat or parchment on top of all the other crap. It doesn't take long to freeze hard enough to throw in a bag. I do the same thing with meatballs. :)

Nothing is easier or cheaper than a boxed brownie mix. Our grocery store occasionally sells Pillsbury (decent, not as fabulous as Ghirardelli, but defintiely decent) for $1 a box. Stash a few in the pantry. You probably always have the oil and eggs on hand to whip up a quick and popular dessert. Can top with store-bought ice cream if you want.

(You know you can boil a can of condensed milk and use it to make a caramel pie?!)

This reminded me of banoffee pie, which I haven't made in ages but is incredibly delicious. I'd never heard of it before a trip to London where it was served in many restaurants. I ate it almost every night of the trip then came home and learned how to make it. Here's a link to a recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/banoffee/ 

Question, though: it takes 3 hours to boil the can of milk to make the caramel. Can you do that in advance, put the can away for a few days, then use it when you need it?

I think seasonal fruit is yummy so I usually go with a crisp (pretty much just dumping fruit in a pan with a shake of sugar and an oat/flour/sugar/butter topping, or a simple sponge-type cake with berries (you can sub milk or yogurt for the buttermilk and leave out the lemon and it's a simple one-bowl cake). 

For something more fun I make a fruit salad and either reduce or add a bit of jam to the liquid (thickening it). Then I take tortillas, cut into triangles, lightly butter or spray with oil, sprinkle with cinnamon/sugar, and toast in the oven until stiff. Fruit nachos. 

A clafouti is a very simple, but elegant dessert.  Just milk, eggs, flour, sugar, vanilla and/or almond extract, and any seasonal berry or stone fruit and some confectioner's sugar for dusting.  I would include the recipe I found in my Bed & Breakfast and Country Inn Recipe Book, but I can't find that book at the moment.  Some of the recipes online make it sound more difficult than it should be. 

I slice up fresh strawberries, put a VERY light sprinkling of sugar (or none now that I'm trying not to eat sugar), drizzle lightly with an espresso balsamic vinegar, then chill and top with a mascarpone cream sauce (mascarpone, thinned with a little half-n-half, and sweetened slightly with honey, agave, whatever you choose).

This can be served as is (for a grain-free dessert option) in a bowl, over ice cream, or over shortcake or pound cake.

Also, we grilled some peach halves and pineapple spears the other night (and OMG might I say they were awesome), and drizzled the mascarpone sauce over that. You can also top ice cream with the grilled pineapple. Yum!!

You can add Starbucks coffee flavor packets to brownie mix and give brownies a subtle coffee taste.  Even my kids love brownies this way!  We eat them plain or serve with whip cream on top.

Also, a pound cake with whip cream.  Add some Maxwell? House International powdered coffee to the whip cream (just mix into Cool Whip).  We like the hazelnut flavor.  Top with fresh berries.  Very yummy!  Very easy!  Very cheap!

We make jello cake quite a bit in the summer. 

I bake a cake (boxed cake mix) in a 13x9 pan. When cooled, poke holes throughout the cake. Prepare jello according to pkg. instructions (hot and cold water). Instead of pouring into a mold or dish, pour directly onto the cake. Then put it in the fridge for a few hours. The jello will set in the cake and makes it taste nice and light. When ready to serve, mix a container of cool whip with a pkg. of dry jello mix and spread across the top of the cake. We have lots of fun with flavor combinations. 

We make jello cake quite a bit in the summer. 

I bake a cake (boxed cake mix) in a 13x9 pan. When cooled, poke holes throughout the cake. Prepare jello according to pkg. instructions (hot and cold water). Instead of pouring into a mold or dish, pour directly onto the cake. Then put it in the fridge for a few hours. The jello will set in the cake and makes it taste nice and light. When ready to serve, mix a container of cool whip with a pkg. of dry jello mix and spread across the top of the cake. We have lots of fun with flavor combinations. 

Poke cakes were one of my favorites as a kid! :)