Menu

I am hysterical and need a bit of help please (Updated in top post!)

Blueridge

Our daughter left for a summer in Europe yesterday, we drove 6 hours to the airport to get her there and us back home, so I was already sad and tired. This morning my dh left on a business trip for a week and I was weepy for him to go. This afternoon my beautiful new kitchen cabinets collapsed, throwing literally every beautiful glass jar and special crock I own to the floor. There is more broken glass than I have ever seen. I am crying like a ridiculous 3 year old. I can't seem to figure out what to do. I will call the cabinet shop in the morning, but in the mean time the cabinets are suspended, bending my new Ikea roller cart under the weight on 1 side, cookbooks hanging out over the sea of glass. I am afraid of it falling the rest of the way. Do I leave the mess for the cabinet people to see or keep cleaning it all up? 

Update: I didn't sleep much last night since I feared the cabinet falling, so I was up and ready early. I called the cabinet shop at 8:00 and told the person what had happened. She said they would get someone out here as quickly as possible. I got a call from the original installer at 8:05, and within 15 minutes there were 3 men here. They got the cabinet down without further damage, cleaned up all the mess, and apologized repeatedly. Before leaving they said the owner will be in touch with me today to discuss all the damages and 'make it right'. New cabinets will be started this morning and hopefully installed this week. I am still quite sad at the loss, but happy with their integrity. I also learned a valuable lesson...never have all your valued things together in one location.  :tongue_smilie:  Thanks everyone for your support yesterday! It meant so much!

I am so sorry this happened to you!! How horrible. I would be HOPPING mad at the irresponsible people who installed the cabinets improperly.

As far as cleaning up, if it was me, I would, but only after carefully photographic documentation of the mess (and your loss) which IMO they should cover. I would make sure to move anything that is precarious or on the verge of collapsing. ((hugs)) and I hope they make it right.

I'd be crying too, then I'd be mad and I may just leave the mess. You are entitled to a recompensation of every little or big glass/crock/family heirloom that was lost. Ask for the cabinet store owner or manager immediately when you call. If they seem full of excuses or reticent, mention the name of a cut throat attorney in your area. I am already upset on your behalf. I think I would take Mommy's advice and have a cup of tea myself if it wasn't so blasted hot here.

Honey, I'd go out for dinner tonight or order in something delectable...

I'm so sorry.  I have a bit of fear of broken glass, having cut my wrist on a glass jar when I was 5 years old.  I agree  the advice to take lots of pictures and maybe try to itemize the broken items.

Then I would get a bottle of wine and sit as far away from the kitchen while proceeding to finish it. 

OMG! :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

For now, I'd leave the mess, go run a nice hot bath, climb in the tub and sit there and cry and cry and cry. Cry until you can laugh at the ridiculousness of it all. Keep adding hot water so your bath doesn't get too cold.

Then, i'd be looking up the name of the manager of the cabinet shop and calling him up, even if the store is not open today. What shoddy workmanship!!

After that, I may or may not worry about the mess. First document with pictures, so they can have an accurate idea of their liability. Then plan where you're eating out for the next few days. Keep your receipts - the cabinet shop is reimbursing you!

Thank you. I just caught a glimpse of myself in the hall mirror and I look like Bette Davis in a scene from '...Baby Jane'! I made myself stop crying anyway. There is just so much glass. In the hall, over the entire kitchen floor. The sound was just terrifying. I thought we were having an earthquake. My cherished collectibles all in the same place, now all gone. I really miss my dh. Thanks for the support. My dd and I were able to get the couple of remaining crocks off the top, but the glass doors on the cabinet are probably going to shatter when the whole thing falls. I am so, so sad.

Oh, I am so sorry.

Cup of tea, yes. Deep breaths, yes.  Get a trusted friend over to help you.  Don't move anything till you call the cabinet company.  If they can't come out immediately as in within an hour, tell them you have to move things in order to avoid further damage (of the cart - unless it's already ruined) and will take photos.  Take photos from every angle.    Dress properly if you end up starting to clean it up. 

:grouphug:

Oh...don't touch any cabinetry, it may give way as well. Keep the kids out of the kitchen. Taking pictures and cleaning up the most dangerous pieces is probably better advice than what shot through my head at first glance. When the cabinet people come, mention at least ten times how lucky they are that no toddler was standing there.

Call the cabinet shop now. Leave a message that there is an emergency, your cabinets are collapsing, and that you expect their attention immediately. Leave your cell number.

If you can, look up the shop owner at a weekend number. If the shop is in leased space, the property owner or manager will have after-hours contact info.

Change into safe clothing and take lots of photos. Carefully remove anythinv you absolutely need to use today/tonight (like a phone charger). Get a sense for the limits of the spread of the glass fragments, and create a visual boundary around that zone.

Don't do the work. The cabinet shop should have insurance for cases like this, which will probably cover professional cleanup, restoration, and replacement costs. Not that they can replace sentimental value, but it's a good thing none the less.

Get out of the house for a few hours in some way that comforts you: coffee, library, movie, friend, family, swimming pool... Whatever.

Depending if you get a response...

Assuming this is a kitchen, take yourself out for supper and buy some no-cook/no-fridge (and no-dishes) groceries for breakfast tomorrow (like a croissant, some fruit and some nuts) -- so you don't have to go in there for anything.

Keep all your receipts.

When you get home, directly bypass the problem area and go straight to a bedroom or other place where you can't see the problem area. Pretend it's a hotel suite (no kitchen) and settle in for the night. Distract yourself like crazy, then try to sleep.

:grouphug: :grouphug:

That would be so devastating. I'm so sorry.

My dh used to do custom cabinetry. He says take lots of pictures and try to get up close to the pieces of crockery. The company should reimburse you for every broken jar. The problem with some places is that they only use drywall screws and those are skinny with a short shank. Often they will just attach one cupboard to the cupboard beside it when they are being careless and that puts even extra weight on those screws.

I'm so sorry you have to deal with this.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Call the cabinet shop now. Leave a message that there is an emergency, your cabinets are collapsing, and that you expect their attention immediately. Leave your cell number.

If you can, look up the shop owner at a weekend number. If the shop is in leased space, the property owner or manager will have after-hours contact info.

Change into safe clothing and take lots of photos. Carefully remove anythinv you absolutely need to use today/tonight (like a phone charger). Get a sense for the limits of the spread of the glass fragments, and create a visual boundary around that zone.

Don't do the work. The cabinet shop should have insurance for cases like this, which will probably cover professional cleanup, restoration, and replacement costs. Not that they can replace sentimental value, but it's a good thing none the less.

Get out of the house for a few hours in some way that comforts you: coffee, library, movie, friend, family, swimming pool... Whatever.

Depending if you get a response...

Assuming this is a kitchen, take yourself out for supper and buy some no-cook/no-fridge (and no-dishes) groceries for breakfast tomorrow (like a croissant, some fruit and some nuts) -- so you don't have to go in there for anything.

Keep all your receipts.

When you get home, directly bypass the problem area and go straight to a bedroom or other place where you can't see the problem area. Pretend it's a hotel suite (no kitchen) and settle in for the night. Distract yourself like crazy, then try to sleep.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

I'm so sorry- I would be so upset.  Be really careful cleaning it up- if you have to do that. If you're really upset, wait until you talk to the cabinet people and suggest that they clean the mess up. If you have no pets, you could go out to dinner tonight and let the mess wait until you felt able to tackle it or the cabinet people came to clean it up. 

But if you have pets, I'd probably be cleaning it up to make sure they stay safe. 

What a scary thing to have happen!!!

Thank you. I just caught a glimpse of myself in the hall mirror and I look like Bette Davis in a scene from '...Baby Jane'! I made myself stop crying anyway. There is just so much glass. In the hall, over the entire kitchen floor. The sound was just terrifying. I thought we were having an earthquake. My cherished collectibles all in the same place, now all gone. I really miss my dh. Thanks for the support. My dd and I were able to get the couple of remaining crocks off the top, but the glass doors on the cabinet are probably going to shatter when the whole thing falls. I am so, so sad.

If there's ever a time to look and feel wretched, this is it.

When I was a little girl I would stay with my aunt in the summer and once I was in the kitchen when and entire shelf of depression era glassware shifted and fell to the floor. It was scary seeing it fall all around here. She was so heartbroken.

I agree to call the shop now. If you know the owner/installer's name, I'd try looking up a home phone since it's a weekend, and the unit isn't safe.

That sounds just awful! I would be so devastated, too. You have lots of good advice here. I would 1) get out of the house for a while 2) take a billion pictures 3) call and leave a couple of messages that you expect a response 1st thing on Monday morning 4) don't touch a thing. It's probably not safe for you to do it, other cabinets are probably not hung safely either, and I think they should be responsible for cleaning up a dangerous mess that they caused.

So, so sorry. I know it's just "stuff" but I am like you, I'm sentimental about certain things and would grieve their loss. {hug}

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug: I am so sorry this happened to you.

You might try contacting your own home insurance company to see if they can provide any help, especially if the shop procrastinates.

A friend of mine had a small fire in her garage, and the insurance paid for professional cleaners to clean the smoke damage in her house. She said the cleaners picked everything that was out on a shelf or counter and cleaned each and every item and surface. She was pleased with the quality of work the cleaners did.

Best wishes.  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

I agree: take TONS of pictures now before anything gets touched.

This will be really hard, but remind yourself that one day you will laugh about this. It will make an awesome story.

If nothing is going to hurt a child or an animal, I would hop in the car, go out for a good meal, come home and take a hot bath/shower. Then I'd watch something good. In other words: take a vacation from this situation.

This is what writers and comediennes call GOLD!

Hang in there!  :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Alley                 

Edited to add: I'm truly not trying to be dismissive of how hard this would be. Really. In these kind of moments, I try to find the humor.

You poor thing. I can relate to the entire scenario and could see something like this happening in my life. I'm empathizing so hard over here. You've gotten great advice regarding the cabinetmaker. Please follow it for your sanity!

I hope you have taken a ton of pictures. The shop that installed the cabinets need to see it. That would be unacceptable for them to fail like that. I've never heard of cabinetry just falling. They must have installed them incorrectly.

After taking a ton of pictures, I would carefully clean up. But wait for help because you don't want more glass falling on you. Get a friend or two over to help you!!!  The shop should help as well with the clean up. When did they install them? Are they very very new? I would expect some refunding, replacement, compensation. Something!!!!

Thank you all so much. I have taken quite a few pictures. The cabinets were installed several months ago by some really nice people just down the street. I know they will be heartbroken, too, because it's a family business who cares for their customers. I decided to sweep the other side of the kitchen into the pile I took a picture of, and just leave that there until they come to see it tomorrow. Praying the cabinet stays suspended and does not fall to the floor. If dh was here he could help me remove the glass doors but I don't dare touch them. Tea and chocolate, along with your tender advice, have really helped me. Thank you!

You are so kind and gentle to consider the people that installed your cabinets in that light! I hope they'll be eager to do the right thing and take good care of you at this point - don't hesitate to push for it if they're not though, okay?

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug: I am so sorry this happened to you.

You might try contacting your own home insurance company to see if they can provide any help, especially if the shop procrastinates.

A friend of mine had a small fire in her garage, and the insurance paid for professional cleaners to clean the smoke damage in her house. She said the cleaners picked everything that was out on a shelf or counter and cleaned each and every item and surface. She was pleased with the quality of work the cleaners did.

Best wishes.  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

Careful with homeowner's insurance.  Claims may result in higher premiums at renewal.   This is on the cabinet maker and should not count against you in any way.

:grouphug:   Oh my! I hope you all stay safe and that your cabinets get fixed up soon! I also hope someone else gets to do the cleaning up. I'm afraid if it was me I'd be going about in a daze in complete denial that that part of my house even existed.

I am sorry. It seems like things go wrong as soon as one spouse leaves for a time. You have every right to feel terrible. Personally, I would document it, then have a friend or two come over to lend a hand. Is there someone else who could remove the doors for you? My dh is gone a lot and for long periods of time, so I have learned to manage without him, but that doesn't mean that I *want* to do it alone.

Would your home insurance take care of the mess? I only had the experience of coming back to work on a Saturday and the office glass door was cracked spiderweb style. The insurance appraiser had a professional glass removal company come and remove the door and all the glass shards. No one was allowed in the area until inspection was completed.

I'm sorry for your loss of lovely crockery and the mess.

Thank you all so much. I have taken quite a few pictures. The cabinets were installed several months ago by some really nice people just down the street. I know they will be heartbroken, too, because it's a family business who cares for their customers. I decided to sweep the other side of the kitchen into the pile I took a picture of, and just leave that there until they come to see it tomorrow. Praying the cabinet stays suspended and does not fall to the floor. If dh was here he could help me remove the glass doors but I don't dare touch them. Tea and chocolate, along with your tender advice, have really helped me. Thank you!

I hope you are able to get this resolved quickly and easily. please update us when you get a chance.