Menu

medication for morning sickness

maize

If you have taken medication for morning sickness, please tell me what you took and how it affected you. I've always taken the "soldier through" approach in the past, but I've also ended up curled up in bed a lot and I just can't afford to do that right now. If you found some non-medical miracle cure, I'm open to hearing about that as well but I think I've tried almost every home remedy out there.

I don't actually end up vomiting very often, I just feel horrifically nauseous all day long. Bleh.

I tried diclectin with my dd. It didn't help at all. My doctor wanted to give me something else, but I wasn't comfortable with the options. B6 and antihistamines I've heard work really well.

Honeydew melon, for some reason, often eased the sickness a little bit. I still lost a lot of weight, but it gave me some good moments through the day at least.

I took all sorts with my first pregnancy. Reglan, Phenergan...eventually Zofran....which stopped working. 

Vitamin B6 and a Unisom was what did it for me. Seriously. My mom is a nurse practitioner and after researching, she told me it was safe and had, at one point, been on the market in the US. 

I went from vomiting everything I ate and drank (including water) for 18 weeks to perfectly barf-free within a week or so. When I started vomiting with my second (which that first episode lasted for so long I ended up in the hospital) I started taking it again. Once again, the sickness went away.

I tried all kinds of diet tricks, being careful to eat frequently enough to keep my blood sugar up, and sea bands to no avail.  B6 (50mg) and half of a Unisom (regular strength*) at bed time each night get rid of it completely.  I was on it until 19 weeks, 24 weeks, birth, and birth respective of each pregnancy.  I should have stayed on it until birth with the first two because I was miserable even if I wasn't throwing up anymore.

* You must use regular strength Unisom only.  The extra strength is a different medicine. 

This combination of B6 and Unisom creates a medicine that used to be on the market called Bendectin.  It was voluntarily removed from the market when a different medicine caused problems.  It continued to be used in Canada under the name Diclectin for the next 30 years with no safety concerns.  The FDA has recently approved Bendectin for use again in the US.

I tried diet tricks and Sea bands  and they didn't help.  That's not for people with Hyper-Emesis. 

Maize :grouphug: :grouphug:   Its so hard.

I did Tigan (I think that's what it's called), Zofran, and Phenergen.  They all worked okay.  I still felt awful but I didn't barf as much.. I hated the groggy feeling... esp. with littles running around.    I guess that was better than barfing 24/7 with littles :crying:

Hang in there. 

Prednisone is what I took.  It was amazing for the month that it worked.  I had soldiered through before that because I thought that was what I had to do.  I remember throwing up ginger cookies.  And then I had my first ob visit.  She asked how I was feeling.  I said miserable.  She said, "I can do something about that."   When I was sick it was all day except for about 1-3pm every day.  So, I ate once a day.  Fortunately, *ahem* I had stockpiles stored on my body to carry us through the rest of the day.  

A round the clock combination of Zofran and Phenergan helped some.  But it mostly helped me keep things down a little better, it didn't do much to take the edge off the nausea.  <3

That's what I used as well. It did get rid of the nausea for me. I could be human again. 

I also was in the hospital for 24 hours on iv hydration before starting the combo, so that may have helped as well.

I took all sorts with my first pregnancy. Reglan, Phenergan...eventually Zofran....which stopped working. 

Vitamin B6 and a Unisom was what did it for me. Seriously. My mom is a nurse practitioner and after researching, she told me it was safe and had, at one point, been on the market in the US. 

I went from vomiting everything I ate and drank (including water) for 18 weeks to perfectly barf-free within a week or so. When I started vomiting with my second (which that first episode lasted for so long I ended up in the hospital) I started taking it again. Once again, the sickness went away.

I second the Reglan.  I went from not being able to keep so much as a sip of water down to feeling half-way decent within a week.  I also started it immediately upon starting to get sick with my second.  

My sister took Reglan and Phenergen.  They helped enough that she was able to take fewer days off from work.  For some reason, the restaurant industry doesn't look kindly on employees puking in the bathroom for 9 months.  The drugs didn't stop it, but they limited it somewhat.  She was one of the "lucky" few who gets sick the entire way through.

Over the course of carrying my 5 kids, I tried....

sea bands--didn't work

b6 & unisom & benadryl---sedated me

ginger--didn't work

altoids the strong stuff--oddly worked in one pregnancy

papaya enzymes--didn't work, although it took the edge off some of the heartburn

high protein, low acid diet (Brewer diet)--didn't work, although it did help with minimizing weight loss and keeping my blood sugar steady in between vomiting

phenergan--knocks me out

reglan--laughably unhelpful

zofran--lovely amazing little pills; the generic ones from Costco are the cheapest. I did need iv zofran a few times, but it always kicked in in about 15-20 min.

Phenegren makes me tired & alters my mood for the entire day after just taking one. It makes me very edgy, I've stopped using it. Zofran prevents vomiting but I will still dry heave and feel crudy all day. At night I do the b6 & half of a unisom tablet. Good luck!!! It's tough being so sick!

Throwing up water is a lower level of hell than merely throwing up.  I don't know why that is.  

But, I always feel very sorry for myself when that happens.  

Yes, B6 and Unisom worked for me too, better than Phenergan which did nothing. I still didn't feel the greatest but it was much much better.

I'm so sorry you are dealing with this.  I did with each of my 6 pregnancies.  Hyperemesis is evil.

I tried all manner of "cures". All the pregnancies were different with respect to onset, duration, and severity of sickness.  I was hospitalized with HE in my 2nd pregnancy.  I was given Zofran IVs and then an Rx for the meds.  They were $20 each.  There was no generic 12 years ago and we did not have maternity coverage on our insurance.  I used them sparingly.  They worked well enough to help me keep water and food down.  No matter what, I still am nauseous 24/7.  But at least I could stay hydrated.  

Mr. Pibb and Doritos helped with one pregnancy.(I know!!  Terrible!!  Really I only allowed myself to drink one a day and a handful of Doritos.  Some days it is ALL I was able to eat.)

Lemon juice in my water helped to keep some down.

Tums helped.

Really, I was so happy that Zofran was available in generic with my last 2 pregnancies.  I would take one in the morning and lay back down for an hour.  I would feel HUMAN at least until lunch.  I might take the 2nd that day.  I always just suffered at night without meds because the anxiety of taking a medication(although considered safe for pregnancy) was pretty awful.

I feel for you.  

Reglan made me hallucinate. Phenergan did nothing. B6 + Unisom didn't help either.

Zofran took the edge off the worst two weeks. I got two killer headaches from it before learning to take it then wait at least 30 minutes before eating or drinking. It also caused severe constipation, which was awful and unusual for me.

No time to read the thread but this link changed my life(baby 10). Last time I took zofran and was so thankful for it. But I didn't need it this time. I only threw up a couple times instead of every day. Sometimes multiple times a day in other pregnancies.

http://stevenandersonfamily.blogspot.com/2013/11/the-cause-and-cure-of-morning-sickness.html?m=1

Thanks everyone! I haven't been the the dr. yet, trying to decide whether to go back to the one who delivered my last baby or try a different one my friend raves about. I'll discuss all this with her when I get around to an appointment.

I'm actually feeling better today than I have for the past week, I think the difference is that I actually got a semi-decent night's sleep last night. I tend to feel best first thing in the morning before eating anything, which is great except for the part about being hungry. I get worse and worse as the day goes on.

My kids have been living off of boxed cereal and Ramen and watching videos...I'd really like to get out of survival mode.

If you have taken medication for morning sickness, please tell me what you took and how it affected you. I've always taken the "soldier through" approach in the past, but I've also ended up curled up in bed a lot and I just can't afford to do that right now. If you found some non-medical miracle cure, I'm open to hearing about that as well but I think I've tried almost every home remedy out there.

I don't actually end up vomiting very often, I just feel horrifically nauseous all day long. Bleh.

I was sick all 9 months with every child.  It was fun.  During that time, the only thing that helped me was having dh rub my feet -- he'd hit the pressure points for nausea and it would diminish.  The only problem was that once I got up and walked, the nausea came back.  Ick.

Since my last child was born, I have come across Young Living's essential oil blend DiGize that helps a lot with general digestive issues, including nausea.  I haven't looked into safety during pregnancy, though.

I took Zofran back before the generic came out. I had it both in a meltaway tab and a pill. I threw up four to five times a day without it down to maybe once or twice a day. I did get constipated, but I didn't realize that was a result of the Zofran. I wouldn't have stopped taking the Zofran had I known. Worth it.  

Other little tricks like never getting too hungry or too hot helped with the sick feeling, but no other remedy worked to prevent the actual throwing up. Once I was surprised into laughing very hard and threw up. 

I'm due in August and I had heard everyone say they were given Zofran for morning sickness. Well the doc informs me that Zofran is no longer an option linked with too many cases of something. Instead I was given Reglan and B6. Of the two the B6 seemed to work the best for me. 

Zofran. It worked for me to mostly manage my hypermesis gradivarium. I ended up being hospitalized with a dehydration linked kidney infection before I broke down and accepted the medication. I still vomited on the daily but it was 1-2 instead of after every single meal or sip.

I tried the Unisom/B6 combo with my last pregnancy.  I had a bit of trouble getting the B6 down... it left a funny taste in my mouth.  I felt like taking just the Unisom before bed helped some the next day.

I also took Zofran.  The constipation side effect is horrible.  Nauseous and puking AND constipated is just a miserable combination.  The Zofran also made me feel a bit light headed and woozy.  However, I tend to be very sensitive to meds.  

I felt like the Zofran got me through when I just couldn't take the nauseousness anymore.  But, I would sometimes not take it just because in some ways I felt like it made me feel bad too.