Menu

So it's over - just like that.

My youngest graduated last night.  The weather was perfect.  The speakers were good.  All went reasonably well.  (There was nothing that made me wish my other two had chosen public high school, but that's just an aside.)

So, just like that, my schooling years are over and... it feels REALLY weird.  As hubby said, the school now goes from our family school district to simply my office.

I know some of you have already been there, done that, and others are with me doing it this year... so just as a preview for those yet to come - it feels weird - really weird.

I guess it's another step on our way to empty nesting - less than 3 months away now.

Best wishes to all.

I know the feeling, graduated four so far. So thankful for these last two at home. The Christian school that two of my children graduated from is having their ceremony today. Prayed for those kids and their parents this morning. This young adult yet not independent stage is not for the faint-hearted! 

Take some time to just enjoy the accomplishment, both theirs and yours! Congratulations!!

:grouphug:

On to the next chapter!

The next chapter for all of us.  My guy heads off to college like his brothers in a little over two months.

I get to head off on the beginning of more medical stuff next week.

Fun, fun, but the plan (agreement?) was to get youngest through graduation first.  It's just difficult to believe that day came - and went - so quickly.

This young adult yet not independent stage is not for the faint-hearted! 

Oh, how true!  And "my" mom says it doesn't really get better... She tells me a mom's job (and worry) is never "finished."   I'm not sure I wanted to know that!  I do know I appreciate her more and more daily (and feel badly that I didn't appreciate her enough in my younger years). 

How much after-schooling and/or summer schooling did you do to supplement or enhance what was offered at the public school for your DS?

"I" wanted to do quite a bit.  "He" wanted to do none.  Our unhappy truce was that very little was done... for the first three years he was in the top 10% of his class - mainly as a "left over" from our homeschooling years as he started way ahead of his peers in "basic" knowledge.  He didn't end there (senior year wasn't the best - partially due to my not being home for about 1/4 of it - medical stuff).

However, it's finished.  He did graduate.  He's heading off to a college that seems perfect for him and I have high hopes that he will do well.  It's in a field he loves - well - some of the classes are... and he should do very well in those.  He has good people skills (teachers love him even with his not getting work completed).  So... time will tell.

One can do well in our ps with extra afterschooling or summer enhancements.  We've had a few kids who have proven that time and time again.  My guy just didn't have their drive except in areas of learning that he enjoyed.  (His college major is in one of those areas, of course.)

Congratulations!!!! Also hugs to a great mom.  I always love your posts about what you and your boys are doing.  Please keep us updated on how you and your medical stuff are doing.  :grouphug:

Yah... weird describes it well.  And yah, the parenting worries certainly don't end when the youngest graduates.  Dogs, girlfriends, chickens, ... this parenting business is apparently endless...And I haven't even gotten to the girlfriend stage.  It doesn't surprise me, though.  My parents are still parenting us.  And our children.  My father is finishing the job of teaching youngest to drive this summer, among other things.  That definately comes under the heading of "still actively parenting" lol, and he's in his 80's.

Best of luck on all your medical stuff, Creekland.  Best, best of luck.

Nan

Congratulations! I felt odd when dd graduated and I'm really beginning to have butterflies with eldest ds beginning his senior year and middle ds leaving the year after that. I'm trying to plan for and imagine what my life will be like when the youngest is gone in four years. You need to keep us posted about the transition and what adventures you are having.

Best wishes and prayers on your medical issues. Per your chat board thread, I sincerely hope you'll get to have your tropical adventure on the beach!

Congratulations! and :grouphug: as you make the transition. I've only graduated one of my three but I can imagine it is a pretty big mental adjustment.

Here's to enjoying the next step in the journey!  :hurray:

Creekland - I was thinking about your post and laughing a minute ago.  I just dug out the baby monitor for oldest's girlfriend so we can tell if someone is trying to eat oldest's chicks in the night.  And I am about to put on the bath apron that my mother made for me when my oldest was born and use the sprayer we installed in the bathroom so I could wash children easily to wash oldest's dog.  (Oldest is at sea.)  Things like that help to settle the weird feeling.

Hugs,

Nan

Congrats!

Yes, it is a weird feeling. My youngest (we officially gave her her diploma last Sunday)  is in another state going to a prom -- she is most likely dressed but not quite at the picture-taking stage in the process. Very strange to not be a part of a major life event like this.

But I guess as the kids get older NOT being part of the day to day is part of the process.

Peace, my friend!

Congratulations, Creekland! And to your son!

My youngest received his diploma 2 weeks ago. He was in school for the last 3 years; I was still very involved for the first of those three. Similarly to you, I wasn't as involved during the past two years due to other needs (my parents), so he didn't get some of the afterschool/summer study I had originally planned for him. Oh, well. I will have to trust that if he needs to improve on the skills I had hoped to hone, he'll figure out how to get there on his own.

Empty nest really is going to hit hard. About two years ago, I began to contemplate that reality. Last year, I started taking some graduate classes to prepare me to get back into the workforce, in a new profession. This past year has been exceptionally busy because my courses were added to driving my son to school (52 mile round trip) and handling the details of my father's medical needs (170 mile round trip to his house). However, last year in the winter & spring I was feeling a little lost because some of the anchors of my life that helped me to feel like I was accomplishing something worthwhile were gone. Now I am looking forward to the empty nest.

Wishing you well as you plunge into caring for your medical needs.

The next chapter for all of us.  My guy heads off to college like his brothers in a little over two months.

I get to head off on the beginning of more medical stuff next week.

Fun, fun, but the plan (agreement?) was to get youngest through graduation first.  It's just difficult to believe that day came - and went - so quickly.

Oh, how true!  And "my" mom says it doesn't really get better... She tells me a mom's job (and worry) is never "finished."   I'm not sure I wanted to know that!  I do know I appreciate her more and more daily (and feel badly that I didn't appreciate her enough in my younger years). 

Oh, see I think it does get better. After that young adult, yet not independent stage is over B). My four adult kids (32, 30, 27 and 22) are such blessings to me. I love when they come home again and watching them all interact now with in-laws and nieces and nephews. I try hard "not" to worry about them. I pray much and trust them to make the right decisions for them. Might not be the decision I would make, but that's how they learn and, after all, I'm not footing the bill anymore. :D

My youngest graduated last night.  The weather was perfect.  The speakers were good.  All went reasonably well.  (There was nothing that made me wish my other two had chosen public high school, but that's just an aside.)

So, just like that, my schooling years are over and... it feels REALLY weird.  As hubby said, the school now goes from our family school district to simply my office.

I know some of you have already been there, done that, and others are with me doing it this year... so just as a preview for those yet to come - it feels weird - really weird.

I guess it's another step on our way to empty nesting - less than 3 months away now.

Best wishes to all.

ACK LALALALALALALAAL Fingers in ears ignoring this,  

Maybe I should report it as a bad post.  

we'll be there on Saturday. my hsing life will be over, wow 19 years.  

We'll be doing our own little shindig for ds.

Congratulations!

Next year I'll graduate my firstborn, and then one more and we're done.

It still feels very, very weird to have two in high school.  

When did this happen?  Wasn't I just teaching them to read last week?

ACK LALALALALALALAAL Fingers in ears ignoring this,  

Maybe I should report it as a bad post.  

we'll be there on Saturday. my hsing life will be over, wow 19 years.  

We'll be doing our own little shindig for ds.

:lol:   Definitely a bad post... :lol:  

I'd like to open my "Time in a Bottle" and return to, say, 2004 - 10 years ago - to relive the past 10 years again.  It was a great ride.  It'd be even better if I could fix a mistake or two, but I'd still do it if I couldn't.  Ten years ago we were getting ready to make a month long western trip visiting the Pacific Ocean for the first time with my kids and a handful of National Parks along the way.  It was perfect - and led to other (long) trips in later years.  Or... we could start in 2003 as that actually started our long trips with the Canadian maritimes for three weeks... we'd leave in less than a month.

I'm glad we have the memories - and pics!

Life is currently filled with family visiting, graduation parties (at other people's places - mine get a trip as a present), and perfect weather.  I can't complain.  I just wish it weren't "over," however, travel is less expensive with just the two of us (three if I add my mom in), so I guess there's a plus of some sort.

Again, best wishes to all as we make this transition (either from the past, now, or in the future).

Creekland, we give a trip for graduation as well. Dd chose two weeks in DC with my nephew and his wife with excursions to Williamsburg and other historical attractions besides seeing Washington. That was easy. We flew her to them, gave her some spending money, and gave them a lot of expense money. It worked out well. They went to work each day and she hopped on the metro. They went to Monticello, Mt. Vernon, and Williamsburg on the weekends,

Ds wants to go to London or Rome and wants us to go with him. He's not as confident about navigating a European city by himself as we'd like him to be. That's going to be very expensive so we are trying to figure out what to do. Did you give your boys graduation trips that they took alone or have these been trips with mom and dad?

Did you give your boys graduation trips that they took alone or have these been trips with mom and dad?

We did family trips.  Our whole life has been filled with family trips (though each boy has taken some domestic and overseas trips with friends too), so it's only fitting that their graduation trips are also family trips.  My oldest can't go on this one... (to Disney), but my middle can make it (phew!) and my mom is coming, so she is filling oldest's slot.  We've traveled with her before - even to DC for middle's trip - we all enjoy having her, AND it will be a higher "class" trip as my mom likes luxury plus is willing to foot the bill for the upgrade.  "We" tend to travel on the cheap side of things to extend our $$ further.  "Our" trips involve many campgrounds (which we love).  Hers will have us staying at the Polynesian Resort.  (What a shame! :coolgleamA: )

Actually, my mom has come on all of our graduation trips now that I think back. We did Chattanooga, DC, and Disney.  The first two picked theirs.  My mom picked Disney - and youngest heartily approves of her choice as he hasn't been there in many years.  He was rather young in our "Disney" days.

I hope I can do that (the upgrade) someday for my kids and grandkids too.

We tend to travel on the cheap side too. Since he wants to go international, I'm torn. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity for us to be with the boys - dd and hubby probably couldn't go :(  - and so my heart wants to make it happen for all five of us. On the other hand, my practical brain reminds me that it's going to be a minimum of $4000.00 for five or six nights in London even on the cheap with public transport and that's a lot of money that could go to a college school bill.

Sigh...I have to say though that my heart might win out. College bills are college bills and where there is a will, there is a way. But, you usually only have this one time in their lives to make these kinds of memories. We sent dh and dd to parent child space camp one year because she wanted to go so badly and it was HARD to come up with that money. There were probably other things we should have spent it on, but that's what we did and we have NO regrets. She learned so much and they have those daddy/daughter memories to last a lifetime. Later we sent her to space camp again in high school and it was hard to come up with the funds, but again, no regrets. So, I think we'll at least try to make this happen and then if it is too much, offer a different destination that we can afford for all five of us, or maybe give him the opportunity to do London with just dh or myself to lower the costs.

I think it's great that your mom is coming along! My parents have camped all over the Midwest and Ontario with our kids and again, we wouldn't trade those experiences for any amount of money. Good grandparents are a real blessing!

Happy trip!

Creekland - I was thinking about your post and laughing a minute ago.  I just dug out the baby monitor for oldest's girlfriend so we can tell if someone is trying to eat oldest's chicks in the night.  And I am about to put on the bath apron that my mother made for me when my oldest was born and use the sprayer we installed in the bathroom so I could wash children easily to wash oldest's dog.  (Oldest is at sea.)  Things like that help to settle the weird feeling.

Hugs,

Nan

Well I had a nostalgic gulp this morning.

My Dear One was home for less than two weeks between graduation and his departure for Britain. It was barely enough time for him to fit in the dentist, a haircut, the eye doc, find places in his room for his college stuff and then pack up his camping gear for two months in the field (preceded by a month of visits in the UK with a side trip to Spain).

He created a pile of books and stuff for us to examine before tossing or giving away.  In the pile there were three boxes of fly tying items.  He kept his vice and physical equipment but was tossing feathers and things, much of it being ten years old or so.  I had no idea that he had such a collection of materials!  We rescued some of his flies which I think are beautiful.

We tend to travel on the cheap side too. Since he wants to go international, I'm torn. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity for us to be with the boys - dd and hubby probably couldn't go :(  - and so my heart wants to make it happen for all five of us. On the other hand, my practical brain reminds me that it's going to be a minimum of $4000.00 for five or six nights in London even on the cheap with public transport and that's a lot of money that could go to a college school bill.

Faith,

This is off topic for the thread but I wanted to present a slightly less expensive idea for London to give you some hope.

YHA  hostels in Britain are not just for the youth population.  In fact, many of the facilities have family rooms--simple and clean.  My son has stayed at the YHA near St. Paul's--great location that is walking distance to the Globe.  They have a family room sleeping six for about 127 pounds per night--84 pounds for a family room sleeping four.  If you are going in the summer, you will have to book far in advance.

My guy stayed on his own in the dorm here at age 20.  No problems.

http://www.yha.org.uk/hostel/london-st-pauls#

YHA has a number of facilities in London.  I think that most have their own restaurants as opposed to an open kitchen for guests to use.  (This was actually a fun part of our trip in places like Salisbury and Stirling.  The shared kitchen brought us into contact with families from all over the globe!) 

There is also a German minimal hotel/hostel chain that has opened a facility in London.  They too have family rooms.

London is expensive but there are ways to minimize the cost.  The city is very walkable for one thing.  You don't have to be on the tube all the time.  Secondly, many museums are free.  The best meal I had in London last August was at a Turkish place.  Pub grub will not necessarily break the bank.

Just something to consider...

Be of good cheer!

How are you feeling?

Congratulations and hugs!!!!

Graduation-wise or health-wise?  Graduation-wise I think Jenny's "shell shocked" is a great way of putting it, but life is still moving too quickly to settle into anything else (yet) with family visiting and parties, etc.  Health-wise I tell people I'll just let them tell me in a couple of weeks.  I'm not sure I know how I feel anymore, and can't really venture a guess.  ;)

Well I had a nostalgic gulp this morning.

My Dear One was home for less than two weeks between graduation and his departure for Britain. It was barely enough time for him to fit in the dentist, a haircut, the eye doc, find places in his room for his college stuff and then pack up his camping gear for two months in the field (preceded by a month of visits in the UK with a side trip to Spain).

He created a pile of books and stuff for us to examine before tossing or giving away.  In the pile there were three boxes of fly tying items.  He kept his vice and physical equipment but was tossing feathers and things, much of it being ten years old or so.  I had no idea that he had such a collection of materials!  We rescued some of his flies which I think are beautiful.

I suspect at some point he will really appreciate that you rescued some of those flies.  It may come after he reaches the age of appreciating nostalgia himself, but I suspect it will come.  Kudos to you!

• 2 weeks later...

How are you feeling?

They actually told me I was feeling pretty good, so I'm relieved.  :lol:

One can put up with a few things health-wise when they say they are "normal side-effects" and "should go away in 2 - 6 months."  ;)

Of course, my personality aligns with the view that wonders WHY they don't warn people ahead of time about possible side effects hitting later and thus avoid the concern, but then again, we were playing Apples to Apples the other night and "Mysterious" came up as a topic. I submitted "Doctors."  It won handily - chosen by my pre-med guy!  Maybe that's part of the allure...

For a summary, the known tumor didn't change.  That wasn't surprising as symptoms hadn't changed (better or worse) plus we looked at the MRI ahead of time and were able to make a rough measure of it ourselves.  "Bad" would have been growth.  "No change" is a "watch it for another 6 months" deal and not unexpected due to the slow time of a radiation kill.

Two other things did concern me though.  Fluid has been building up inside my head near/involving my left ear.  This causes a bit of pressure + hearing my heartbeat almost continually when I'm lying down, about 50% of the time sitting, and occasionally when standing.  It also causes me not to hear correctly and some other "stuff" associated with the pressure.  Once pressure has built up, like a pressure valve, it releases and I can have good hours/days pending how much releases.  (That release also feels weird - like an ear bath/shower, but all inside, nothing draining out.) 

Since this only started in the last 3-4 weeks, and radiation ended 3 months ago, I wasn't connecting the two.  I was just wondering what was wrong and if it was fixable... On bad days it could be mentally quite bothersome. The MRI showed nothing (else) amiss, so this is being blamed on the "slow kill radiation" and is apparently not uncommon.  (It really, really would have been nice to have been warned of the possibility - ok, not warned as that sounds bad, but informed.)

The other concern they've tossed over to neurology, so I guess that is still an issue.  The start of it pre-dates radiation, so it's not likely connected.  It's also not starting or crossing anywhere remotely connected to the tumor I have, so appears to be completely unrelated.  I'll have to decide when I want to start dealing with that.  Right now I'm leaning toward late August after we drop the boys off.  Part of me wonders if I even want to deal with it or can be content living with it.  If it weren't also gradually getting worse, that would be an easy call.  Others in my IRL circle are divided on it too, so it's not just me. 

But for now... I'm feeling quite well - so they say!  (And I agree - as mentioned - things are far easier to ignore when one knows all is essentially fine.)

Less than 2 months until youngest gets dropped off, and shortly after that for middle... it's going to pass by quickly.