Menu

Another tipping thread...Pizza guy?

I usually tip about $5 regardless of the size of the order. I figure they aren't running back and forth to my table, taking orders, refilling drinks, clearing, juggling other patrons, etc so not really necessary to tip 20%. Also, I believe they make minimum wage unlike most in house waitstaff. Although I usually round up a couple of bucks if the weather is bad.

In my brother's recent experience, no. He was responsible for providing his own vehicle, insurance, and gas. And his route could extend up to 20-25 minutes from the store.

This is what I think is common. If this is the case and there is a delivery charge, who gets the charge?

I used to deliver pizzas, and then later managed a pizza hut. Pizza Hut actually tested delivery charges vs. raising prices back in 1999 or 2000, and people protested less to the delivery charge. (They also shrunk the pizza size by 1 inch at that time. Few noticed.) At my store, drivers received 50 cents a "run." Keep in mind, a run could require delivery to two, three or even four addresses depending on how busy it was. Between deliveries, the drivers are taking orders, making pizzas, and working hard. Most pizza places I knew of offered no benefits. The job was dangerous. You may live in a nice neighborhood, but I guarantee there are some scuzzy places in your delivery area. Dog bites and robberies weren't uncommon. My minimum wage primarily went toward gas, insurance and car maintenance. I lived off the tips. Most delivery people were college kids, single mom's or adults working a second job to make ends meet.

All of this colors my perspective, but my general belief is if you are too tired/lazy/busy to go pick up your pizza, then tip at least 15% and preferably 20%. Our average order is $30, so I don't think a $6 tip is out of line. I feel when I order pizza that if I can afford the luxury of hot food delivered to my door, then I can afford tipping well for it. If the service from the driver is shoddy, I may not tip much (rude, pizza stuck to box lid, that sort of thing). I do not let a late delivery affect my tip because I know that delivery time is rarely in the hands of the driver, although I may call the store and complain if the delivery time is no where near what I was quoted.

We usually order one large pizza and a large salad for about $40 after tax and I tip $5. I'd tip a bit more but we are like 5 blocks away and it's one pizza and one salad. They also get mileage and more than minimum wage there. The few times I order someplace much cheaper, they get the same $5 on a $15-25 order.

I generally tip at least $5.  We've never had an order over $25, so I think that's sufficient.  On the boxes from Papa John's (James Bond's favorite pizza), it states that the delivery charge does not go to the driver.  I'm not sure why there is a delivery fee if it doesn't go to the driver.  It's not like it hurts the company if it gets delivered, so...why?  The prices of pizza have gone up a lot in the last 5 years, since we moved to Europe and back, so it's not like the charge is there in lieu of raising the price.

Our pizza place flat out states that the delivery charge (it is $2.50 here) does NOT go to the delivery person.  So I tip about 20% or more (it is closer to 30% for a single pizza.  I want to make stopping here worth the delivery person's time. And I tip more in bad weather).  My pizzas always arrive promptly and hot.  I think the delivery folks KNOW who tips well....and who doesn't. ;-)

We don't have delivery in this area. That's how rural we are, LOL!

But, when we take the rocket team to D.C., on the night of briefing we order pizza delivered to the hotel lobby. We tip 20%. It's several pizzas and they are always prompt. I appreciate not having to round up the teens, get them through individual ordering at a restaurant hoping all of the food comes on time, having them pay multiple bills, and then make it out in tome for registration and briefing. It's so convenient and I know that the delivery people are fighting insane traffic, and deal with a lot of rude people all while making very, very little money at all. Personally, I think the cost of food needs to go up and they all need to get at least minimum wage. I am completely against the way the restaurant industry is set up at the current time.

I usually do carryout because there's a pizza place a block away, but on the rare occasion we have a pizza delivered from somewhere else I tip at least five bucks (which is usually more than twenty percent).  I thought everyone knew that the delivery charge doesn't go to the delivery person.

I didn't know the delivery charge didn't go to the delivery person, but then I've only had pizza delivered once in my entire life!  And that was part of a fundraiser for my boys' elementary school and the teachers/administrators were doing the delivering and so we tipped $20 since that went straight to the school.

I tip about $3.

Pizza is always late. Pizza Guy can NEVER find our house. I always give special instructions when ordering, but only rarely do I not receive a phone call 10-15 minutes after the delivery time from the PG saying "I can't find your house!"

It's not THAT HARD. I always tell them to turn at the light--there's a sign RIGHT THERE that says RECTORY. It's ONE TURN from the pizza place to my house. ONE. AT THE LIGHT.

(vent)

I figure they aren't running back and forth to my table, taking orders, refilling drinks, clearing, juggling other patrons, etc so not really necessary to tip 20%.

This isn't necessarily the case.  When I delivered pizzas, I was responsible for answering the phones, busing tables, cleaning and sometimes preparing pizzas on top of regular deliveries.  There's also gas plus wear and tear on the car.  It's not an easy job.

I don't know what is common for a tip where I live, but we always tip about 3.00 plus change. I typically give 3.00 and tell them to also keep any loose change from my order. 

We have locally owned pizza places here. About 4-5 locally owned places. We don't order pizza from national chains. I believe a delivery charge here does go to the driver. I've also heard that the tips are pooled. Each place may be different, not really sure. 

We don't have a pizza delivered that often, as we usually just order carry-out, so it's not something I think about that often.

I'm terrible at figuring out tip percentages, even at restaurants, because I typically tip what I have on hand.

I'm better at a bar!! My Dh bartends on most weekends. I know exactly what is expected of me in that situation! 

This isn't necessarily the case. When I delivered pizzas, I was responsible for answering the phones, busing tables, cleaning and sometimes preparing pizzas on top of regular deliveries. There's also gas plus wear and tear on the car. It's not an easy job.

I worked in a grocery store for five years. I was on my feet for 6-12 hours a day. We were rated according to how fast we could move customers through the line. We were expected to return all the merchandise people left all over the store as well as at our registers. We had to continually wipe down our registers and keep them clean. We hand counted all of our money at the beginning and the end of the day. We were expected to front all the merchandise on all of the aisles during slower periods. I made minimum wage with a 10 cent raise each year. No benefits, and definitely no tips. Some jobs just suck.

DH used to be a pizza delivery dude.  He was not given gas money.  So tips are very much so appreciated since that adds up quickly!  I always tip for pizza.  I only get delivery maybe once a year, but about $3 for one pizza, depending on price.  Otherwise about 15-20%.  If it arrives cold and late, I give less. Considering they're a few blocks away (I can't always leave sick kids to go get it), that would take a lot of negligence to come late and only happened once in another area.

I wish our tipping culture would just go away. I wish employers would just pay what the job is worth rather than relying on customers to properly tip the staff. Yes, the prices would go up and I'm totally fine with that. Just pay people what they're worth.  

I don't think pizza delivery, haircutting, or being a barista are particularly awful jobs.   I expect good service from cashiers- they should be polite, efficient, and accurate.  But nobody tips cashiers, bank tellers, etc.  

Our favorite local pizza place has a TON of workers but no waitresses. To eat in, you order at the window and they call your number and you come get your food. You also get your own drinks and throw your trash away. Their staff is paid more than minimum wage and those guys LOVE to deliver pizzas because they're making more than $8.50 an hour plus tips.    They have some of the best prices in town and they pay their staff decent wages AND they earn tips.  Our local Pizza Hut has a difficult time keeping delivery drivers because the other place pays so much more. Love that- pay people and then tips are a bonus. 

I usually do carryout because there's a pizza place a block away, but on the rare occasion we have a pizza delivered from somewhere else I tip at least five bucks (which is usually more than twenty percent).  I thought everyone knew that the delivery charge doesn't go to the delivery person.

I didn't know.  I do tip, but I really thought the delivery charge went to the person delivering.

Wow! I have never heard of tipping a pizza delivery person more than a couple dollars. Or that they get zero money towards their travel; that's absurd!

I agree.  Even dh told me to just give them $2 or $3 and he used to deliver pizzas!!  Now I will always tip minimum of 15%  I am glad I asked!!

On a side vent:  I remember when it was suggested to tip 10%, then %15, now it is 15-20%.  When will it end?

On a side vent:  I remember when it was suggested to tip 10%, then %15, now it is 15-20%.  When will it end?

Probably when delivery people and restaurant employees make a living wage and don't have to rely on tips to pay the bills. :(

I'm better at a bar!! My Dh bartends on most weekends. I know exactly what is expected of me in that situation! 

Please share with the rest of the class. 

Take-out prices are always much better (due to specials) than delivery prices, and we have several choices close to us, so I avoid the whole situation and do take-out. 

Please share with the rest of the class. 

At a bar it would definitely depend on the style and service of the bar. Regular bar, buck or two a drink, OR if you're running up a tab, at the end of the night pay tab and leave a 5 or 10.00.Especially if you notice the bar has been busy. I also think it's polite to say "keep the change"...it's annoying for a bartender who has people coming from all sides to have to stop and make sure everyone gets their quarter or 50 cents.

Always have money in hand, it's annoying for a bartender to have "shoppers" who don't know what they want, want to price compare drinks, and then have to fish around for their wallet. Speed is the rule at a bar. Bartenders want to keep that line/crowd moving.

If it's a sit down bar and a waitress is bringing you the drinks, tip him or her. If food is involved tip like a restaurant. 

Tip more if the drinks you've asked the bartender to make are involved and a specialty. 

Same assumptions-- if the bartender is rude, service is shoddy, bar is dirty... you may tip less. 

Bar tipping is easy. Put a dollar on the counter every time you order  a drink.

I'm 40 and when I was a little kid, it was 15%.  Now I think 20% is basically standard.   So,  at this rate, it will be 25% in 2054, 30% in 2094, 35% in 2134, and so on.  I don't know "when it will end" though.

I worked in a grocery store for five years. I was on my feet for 6-12 hours a day. We were rated according to how fast we could move customers through the line. We were expected to return all the merchandise people left all over the store as well as at our registers. We had to continually wipe down our registers and keep them clean. We hand counted all of our money at the beginning and the end of the day. We were expected to front all the merchandise on all of the aisles during slower periods. I made minimum wage with a 10 cent raise each year. No benefits, and definitely no tips. Some jobs just suck. 

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.  I was addressing what the previous commenter said about delivery people not preparing food, serving tables etc.  I also worked in a grocery store for awhile, and yes it's a tough job.  But no one is under any misconceptions about where your pay is coming from.  The store pays you to do a job.  In food service, it's different and people might make minimum wage, but they might make less with the expectation that the tips will make up for it.  They might get all or part of a delivery charge, but it often goes directly to the store.  They may not have extra duties or be responsible for their own gas, but it's likely.  

I certainly understand that some people tip better than others, and some not at all.  It's the nature of the job.  

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. I was addressing what the previous commenter said about delivery people not preparing food, serving tables etc. I also worked in a grocery store for awhile, and yes it's a tough job. But no one is under any misconceptions about where your pay is coming from. The store pays you to do a job. In food service, it's different and people might make minimum wage, but they might make less with the expectation that the tips will make up for it. They might get all or part of a delivery charge, but it often goes directly to the store. They may not have extra duties or be responsible for their own gas, but it's likely.

I certainly understand that some people tip better than others, and some not at all. It's the nature of the job.

My point was that pizza delivery is somewhere between the two. All the other duties you mentioned (taking orders, working the register, bussing tables, etc) falls under the heading of crappy minimum wage job. I'm working under the assumption that pizza delivery does earn at least minimum wage. The gas thing stinks, but that's where tips come in. Also why I tip a flat $5, because as far as I can tell, it's not really any harder to bring $60 worth of pizza than it is to bring $20. I'm not seeing it as food service exactly since they aren't making $2 an hour or whatever true food service pay is up to these days.

I categorically began refusing to have pizza delivered from a place with a delivery charge when I found out it was just extra pocket lining for the pizza joint. I'd rather go pick it up or do without.