Menu

Have You Actually...

403 members have voted

1. 1. Have Your Read the Well Trained Mind (as much of it as applies to you)? (Edition doesn't matter)

• Yes, at least once and before I began HS.
    • Yes, at least once and it was while I was beginning to HS
    • Yes, at least once. The forum is a supplement to TWTM, not a substitute.
    • No, but I'm not HSing yet.
    • No, and it hasn't stopped me from starting to HS
    • No, but isn't that what these boards are for?
    • Other. Because no poll is complete without some ambiquity!

No. I've read and reread portions of it  countless times (grammar stage), have only briefly skimmed the logic stage section and haven't really read the rhetoric stage part at all. My kids are young, and I have no intentions of homeschooling beyond elementary. 

Yes, it was the first homeschooling book I read before I pulled my son out of private school, and it really took a huge weight off my shoulders and made me realize I could do this! I've read the whole thing so that I know somewhat what our goal is for later years, so I don't try to expect something in a lower stage that really can wait until later.

Yes I've read the first and third editions. When school planning, I'll go back through the relevant sections. I follow the rotating schedule and academic purpose laid out in the book, but I am more heavily influenced by the boards for science and math.

I'd already started homeschooling when I stumbled across the book. A friend guided me through the process, but the WTM helped me find my purpose.

Like a PP, the WTM was an assurance for me, especially when it came to early childhood education. Our school system has made education into this huge unknown for non-educators, especially when it comes to beginning reading and math. In fact, I've had elementary teachers ask me for resources to teach reading to their own children, because special certification is required in public school.

Where's our "other" option?

I've read the 1st edition all the way through several times and sections of the 3rd edition. I reread portions every year when planning or doubting myself.

These boards serve a completely different purpose to me. 

Where's our "other" option?

I've read the 1st edition all the way through several times and sections of the 3rd edition. I reread portions every year when planning or doubting myself.

These boards serve a completely different purpose to me. 

I updated the poll.

I feel like reading the book over frequently is essential to staying on track. Especially when using these forums. I assumed everyone on these forums schooled the wtm way when I took their advice. This was my first forum ever so I was very nieve. Now, after reading the book multiple times I can recognize what will help with my wtm goals and what leads me astray. I'm confident and comforted knowing I have a plan.

I started on the forums when my son was accelerating the wtm plan and I didn't know what to do. 

Wasn't quite sure what to pick. I have read the book through the grammar stage a couple times. I have only skimmed Logic and rhetoric stages, so I haven't read the book I it's entirety. But I did read what was pertinent prior to homeschooling.

Wasn't quite sure what to pick. I have read the book through the grammar stage a couple times. I have only skimmed Logic and rhetoric stages, so I haven't read the book I it's entirety. But I did read what was pertinent prior to homeschooling.

This.

Yes.  It is this book that got me excited to homeschool when my first child was maybe a year old.  I pull it out every year and glance through the sections that hit my children (first edition at home, and latest at the library), and it keeps me on track.

I don't do it schooling exactly the WTM way now, 8 years into homeschooling, but it is a great reference and keeps me encouraged, along with this site, not to worry that I am crazy to expect my kids to accomplish a lot.

"In it's entirety" seems to imply every word and I've never done that. There are a lot of lists and schedules in there. I have read some sections completely and skimmed others. Now that I'm about to have logic stage kids, maybe I'll go back and was those sections.

Not in its entirety.

We began homeschooling in fifth grade, so I read the logic stage section of the third edition the summer before fifth. I didn't even skim the rhetoric section because we weren't going to homeschool high school ;) A library copy of the third edition is on its way to me right now :lol:

I purchased my much-loved first edition of the WTM hot off the presses in 1999. Jessie & Susan gave a talk to a local homeschool group and sold signed copies of their new book afterwards. That was the summer when I'd just withdrawn the kids from public schools & was about to begin this scary homeschool adventure.

I admit that I skimmed the math and science sections, but I thoroughly read the remainder, both for moral support (this decision *could* work out OK, right?) and for advice on literature, writing, history, and languages. I never followed it exactly, but I borrowed lots of ideas, & it was on my go-to reference shelf for years.

My old WTM copy is marked up and sticky-noted and falling apart, but it's a keeper!

I have and have read all three editions multiple times and also have a copy of the third edition on my kindle. I read it when my son was two, just because I love education, when I still thought homeschooling was a terrible idea. It completely changed my thinking and gave me confidence that I could do a better job than our local public school. I wish I followed it more closely, I think reading these forums has detracted a bit because there are so many other options and opinions and viewpoints that are all great but make me lose confidence in what I really think we should do. It did however get us started on Latin and Greek which have been very valuable to us.

I've read the entire 3rd edition through once. I hadn't heard of WTM when I first started homeschooling. SOTW was what led me to other books by SWB. I actually read The Well Educated Mind first. And to be honest I didn't like it when I did start exploring it. It took some time to wrap my mind around what SWB was saying and to tease out the parts that resonated and leave the rest.

I've reread relevant sections a few different times.

I do use it as a resource for finding books. I don't agree with everything in it however. there are some parts that I pretty much ignore because it's not my way that works for us. But I find there's plenty that does help me in that book. 

I go elsewhere for book recommendations at times, because I don't find it secular enough for my tastes, especially in the area of science.

I don't think this forum is just for WTM-ers or even classically educating homeschoolers. It's a great online community for homeschooling in general. 

I have read each edition all the way through at least 3 times. Can I have my cookie now? ;)

You deserve one!

Giant-Cookie-Wallpaper-cookies-161511_10

I've read it cover to cover several times.  I have certain parts memorized...   :lol:

You deserve a cookie and a medal, but we don't have any medals so...

Giant-Cookie-Wallpaper-cookies-161511_10

I read the first edition cover-to-cover when we were deciding about kindergarten choices for my oldest. It was one of the books that convinced me to HS. I've read all 3 editions and have the 3rd edition on my bookshelf. I reference it frequently when planning.

I've read both The Well Trained Mind and The Well Educated Mind cover to cover (as well as The Latin Centered Curriculum), but I don't follow their methods, and I'd already been homeschooling for a while before I heard of TWTM. To be honest, I've learned far more and received more relevant and useful (to me) advice and recommendations from this forum than I have from the books, so I would say that the books served as supplementary background info for the forum, not vice versa. 

it really took a huge weight off my shoulders and made me realize I could do this!

This, this, this!

My kids were in preschool and we were touring local schools and were not terribly impressed with even the "good" private schools. A friend was doing this "homeschooling" thing, and I began reading everything I could get my hands on.

This was the book that clicked for me and made me realize that homeschooling was not only something i could do, but maybe even the best option for us.

I've read large chunks all out of order. I don't know if I've read the whole book but I kind of doubt it so I voted no. I kind of use it as more of a resource book and look up relevant chapters. I probably should have read it more and followed it more closely.

Yes. I read the whole thing back when we feat started homeschooling.

Since then, i have gone back to re-read various parts. Last week I was going thru the high school chapters again as I was doing my planing for eighth grade (wanted to be sure I had stuff covered before we get there!)

Oh, yes. And I reread parts of it a couple of times a year. That's not to say I'm following it closely. :leaving:

I don't know how people read only part of a book like TWTM the first time. I need to see everything before I start something! Wouldn't you be dying to know what else it says?

I haven't read it. :leaving: When I was first looking into educational philosophies, I read that TWTM emphasizes teaching latin in the early years (which I realize now may not have been true), and, having cheated my way through latin roots in high school, I determined that I was not "Classical Educator" material and moved on to Charlotte Mason (who I out rightly disobey by more or less formally teaching prior to age 6). :laugh:

It's pretty obvious to me now that I can pick and choose from philosophies, not to mention the fact that I haven't noticed a lot of teaching-latin-in kindergarden-threads. But I expected that I'd find the Classical mode too intimidating. Having read that it's actually bestowed confidence, I will add it to my 'to read' list. :)

I read the entire thing once when my oldest was 4. I've since re-read the grammar stage for him. This summer I'll be re-reading logic stage since that's where he'll be soon. I may re-read Grammar Stage for DD since she's just starting, but at least I have some experience there.

I do think I've gotten off track a bit and I also am certain there are cool resources in there I'm overlooking now.

Read the whole thing while my oldest was a baby (and now he's nearly 11!), and have referred to it periodically since, though it isn't my go-to. I prefer SWB's audio and make my book plans more from Christine Miller's reference lists and a lot of my practical direction from Cindy Rollins (especially Homeschooling the Freeborn). I like taking philosophical thought and then turning it into my own practical plan, so I like reading the principles side of things (CiRCE, CM, lots of books rather than one go-to) and then doing my own thing.

Yes, I've read the first edition, which a friend gave me when I made the decision that led to homeschooling for our family (quitting my teaching job).  I've checked out the third edition from the library in the past to read specific sections, and it's on my Amazon wish list.

My friend gave me a number of books from different styles/perspectives on homeschooling.  I was reading through them and thinking, "This isn't me.  This doesn't work for me."  When I got to TWTM, I thought, "THIS.  This is the kind of education I want to give my children."  I don't follow every recommendation, but I do use a good bit of it and feel comfortable with its general approach.

I own the third edition and reread parts of it every year.

I read the first edition long before I was even married, never,ind had school age kids. I worked in an education related field and it was recommended by friends.

I read the second edition from the library when my older was about 4, then bought my own copy of the most recent one.

We do not follow it exactly by any means, but I never fail to learn something or find something to consider when I reread.