Menu

Just for fun--what are your songs used for ring tones?

Tap

For dd15- Sweet Child of Mine --Guns and Roses

dd15's boyfriend -- Lowrider -War (play on words because he rides a skateboard)

ds19-- Heaven Los Lonely Boys (there are a few lyrics that really fit him, so while the overall song is wrong, the music and a few key lyrics are just perfect)

My coworkers all have the same  Zoo -- Scorpions

Everyone else Somewhere Over the Rainbow -- Iz

Friend who lives on a sailboat-- Sitting on the Dock of the Bay -- Otis Redding

I am on the lookout for a song for dh.  I have never found the right mix of lyrics and sound for a good ring.  

EDITED TO ADD: Dh is now Jet Airliner by the Steve Miller Band.  He flies a lot for work so it is quite fitting.  :0) 

Some of mine:

Dan Fogelberg's "Longer"

"Oh, What a Beautiful Morning" from the musical Oklahoma

"Misty Mountains Cold" from The Hobbit soundtrack

"What a Wonderful World" by The Ramones

Boomer Sooner

The Imperial March from Star Wars

"Hawaii" by The Beach Boys

Smoke on the Water :leaving:

This might actually be a good one for dh since it's about a Zappa concert and he's a HUGE Zappa fan.

I have Dance, Dance for oldest dd.

Dream On for everyone except Dh but I want to change it.

Dh has a normal ring-tone for now but I'm looking for a song for him.

Dh calls me more than anyone else and it was driving me nuts with Dream On because it's also a song on my Ipod so everytime it would play, I would think I'm getting a call. 

I usually just add songs to my phone and use them as ring tones (as opposed to buying ring tones) but it's hard to find a song that plays loud enough in the beginning to make a decent ring tone.  Dh also loves Pink Floyd but some of those songs really start quietly.   I haven't found a good way to just grab a section of the song to do it..  Are the songs you buy as ring-tones better?  Do they just use a good loud section of the song, rather than start at the beginning?

Asimbonanga is my general ringtone.

I have a different sound for each of my morning alarms though. My initial wake-up alarm is some deep toned call to prayer bells.

The next alarm is 15 min. later signaling that yoga time is over and lights come on. That tone is "Livin' Lovin' an' 'Doin" by Eric Bibb.

And my final alarm is 15 min later signaling that it's time to get up. That one is Under the Sea from Little Mermaid.

Anybody in my contacts list gets the Fraggle Rock theme song. :D 

My carrier no longer allows me to buy songs via the computer, only by going through the phone, so I will not be changing it unless I get a new phone.

Love love love this thread, right up my alley!

The best part of having a clever phone is customizing it as far as I am concerned.

Current Ringtone is Matchbox Twenty, How Far We've Come because of this video

Other favorites have been this one, because, Harry.  I bought the whole album.

My current email notification is a Firefly Quote

My twin's ringtone is a Firefly quote

My basic text tone is River's Dance from Firefly

Custom text for bff is Allons-y from Dr. Who and her custom ringtone is Sigh No More, because, we did Much Ado together twice and David Tennant. ;)

Current notification tone is Brighter than the Sun, because it makes me happy every single time because I see this in my head.  My boys!!!!

Custom tones for friends and family..

My little sister's is the theme from BJ and the Bear because it makes me smile, she loved that show when we were little.

My Mom's is the theme from Cheers

My dh is If I Was Jesus

Youngest is the theme from H2O, a  mermaid show she loves, No Ordinary Girl

Rowan's is Galway Girl from PS I Love you and her text tone is clipped from this video, Bite me alien boy!

This might actually be a good one for dh since it's about a Zappa concert and he's a HUGE Zappa fan.

I have Dance, Dance for oldest dd.

Dream On for everyone except Dh but I want to change it.

Dh has a normal ring-tone for now but I'm looking for a song for him.

Dh calls me more than anyone else and it was driving me nuts with Dream On because it's also a song on my Ipod so everytime it would play, I would think I'm getting a call. 

I usually just add songs to my phone and use them as ring tones (as opposed to buying ring tones) but it's hard to find a song that plays loud enough in the beginning to make a decent ring tone.  Dh also loves Pink Floyd but some of those songs really start quietly.   I haven't found a good way to just grab a section of the song to do it..  Are the songs you buy as ring-tones better?  Do they just use a good loud section of the song, rather than start at the beginning?

I use Myxer to customize songs I own for the most part.

For my theatre kid, I have a newsies song "Now's the time to seize the day. Answer the call and don't delay"

For DH it's Slim Harpo "I got love if you want it."

For my dance students, it's a song we use regularly for folkloric gigs.

For my dance peers it's Don Henley "all she wants to do is dance"

For family it's "Take me home country roads"

In the past I have used the Firefly theme and the Castle theme (though that one was hard to hear).  My current general ringtone is the Stargate SG-1 theme.  â™¥â™¥â™¥

James Bond is the James Bond theme song

Indy is the Indiana Jones theme song

My mom is Tell Mama, by Etta James

I haven't found the perfect one for my dad though!  I'm thinking The Streak, by Ray Stevens, because I remember him singing that all the time when I was little, or 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover, by Paul Simon,  because he sang that all the time too.  Still thinking.

James Bond's general ringtone is the Firefly theme song.  My ringtone on his phone is Brick House.  I called him once during a work lunch and he said everyone cracked up.  They're not allowed to take phones into the building where he works (it's a security thing), so they'd never heard it before.  :)

I had ds1 make me one, so he calls, "Mom! Mom! Your phone's ringing! Get the phone!" from my back pocket at unexpected times in public.

Next time dd visits, I'm going to get her to make me one with her classic  "MOTHERRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!" in the tone of voice she uses when she's disgusted with me.

My main ringtones are the ringtone from a rotary dial phone for calls and the sound of a typewriter for texts. I'm old.

Love love love this thread, right up my alley!

The best part of having a clever phone is customizing it as far as I am concerned.

Current Ringtone is Matchbox Twenty, How Far We've Come because of this video

Other favorites have been this one, because, Harry.  I bought the whole album.

My current email notification is a Firefly Quote

My twin's ringtone is a Firefly quote

My basic text tone is River's Dance from Firefly

Custom text for bff is Allons-y from Dr. Who and her custom ringtone is Sigh No More, because, we did Much Ado together twice and David Tennant. ;)

Current notification tone is Brighter than the Sun, because it makes me happy every single time because I see this in my head.  My boys!!!!

Custom tones for friends and family..

My little sister's is the theme from BJ and the Bear because it makes me smile, she loved that show when we were little.

My Mom's is the theme from Cheers

My dh is If I Was Jesus

Youngest is the theme from H2O, a  mermaid show she loves, No Ordinary Girl

Rowan's is Galway Girl from PS I Love you and her text tone is clipped from this video, Bite me alien boy!

Awesome. Pure awesome.

A local friend (on this board): Man of Constant Sorrow from Oh Brother Where Art Thou

Dh: Hey Bulldog by the Beatles

Best friend: Sexy and I Know it (a joke)

Mom: Me and Bobby McGee by Janis Joplin

General phone: Sail by AWOLNATION

General text: Madness by Imagine Dragons

I cycle through.  I also have I love Rock and Roll, Bubble Toes (Jack Johnson), Lime in the Coconut, and Seven Nation Army on my phone to use. 

James Bond's general ringtone is the Firefly theme song.  My ringtone on his phone is Brick House.  I called him once during a work lunch and he said everyone cracked up.  They're not allowed to take phones into the building where he works (it's a security thing), so they'd never heard it before.   :)

When my husband first got his smartphone, I insisted that my ringtone be Brick House. I don't think he's been busted at work, though. :)

Africa by Toto

I had some others but I like Africa.

Of course, if that song in playing (once in the grocery store and once at Home Depot) I do a mad dash to find my phone in my purse!  :lol:

That is a hazard. I used to use bird song as my son's ringtone, but I changed it the day I missed his call because I was wondering why the local birds were so agitated (and sounded so close; almost as if they were in my purse). Derp. Now I use Mandelbrot Set; I won't mistake it for wildlife, and it's unlikely to be played in the grocery store.

For DH: "I Swear" sung by the Despicable Me Minions

For my landlady: Mr. Bean saying "Pick up the phone! Pick it up, pick it up, pick it up..."

My Dad: Superman theme (in the '70's he looked a LOT like Christopher Reeve in the Superman movies)

My Mom: Ramalama Bang Bang by Roisin Murphy

General: Right now it's a Steampunk type old ragtme+techno mix. It starts out sounding like a 1920's silent movie track, then starts adding more techno sounds to it. I love it.

It used to be the Husker Fight Song.  Now it is Just Keep Breathing by We the Kings.  I havent gotten around to personalizing for anyone since I havent had this phone long.

Hubba Hubba Zoot Zoot -- DH captured it off especially for me.

Years ago I had a midi of the Raiders of the Lost Ark theme. When we changed phones the new phone played the actual music, which I never could recognize as my phone ringing. The beep rings it did have sounded too much like my toddler's toys, so I could never tell when I got a phone call. DH took my old phone, captured off my beepy Raiders midi, and loaded that on my phone for me. At last! A ring that didn't sound like someone's music player or a young child's toy!

It used to be the Husker Fight Song.

The school song? Or the Tunnel Walk?

True story: We were at the fair last summer, in line at the Lion's food booth with half the county. The Tunnel Walk (Sirius?) started playing and a half dozen people were groping for their phones :D

I'll play. OP has some that I've used in the past. Currently:

DH is "Once" by Pearl Jam

Oldest dd is "Soul Meets Body" by Deathcab for Cutie

Next dd is "Just Dance" by Lady GaGa

Next dd is "Answer the Phone" by Sugar Ray

Ds is "-Human" by Metallica

My main tone is "I Wish You Were Here" by Incubus

Two years ago April was a difficult month for me...rounds 4 & 5 of chemo. Just hard--no way around it. Kelly Clarkson's 'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger' was a popular song. I snagged it as my theme song. For the past two years every time a client or friend called I was reminded by KC that I was getting stronger. :)

This year I realized I needed a new theme for this part of my life--so when friends and clients call these days Katy Perry reminds me I am Champion and you're gonna hear me roar... 

My husband's ringtone is Danger Zone from Top Gun.

Youngest son's tone is 'Let's Hear it for the Boy' from Footloose

Oldest son's is Sweet Child o Mine by Guns and Roses

Dear Daughter in Law's is Back in Black.

Fun thread!

General ring tone is an instrumental version of Adele's Rolling in the Deep by The Piano Guys. 

Dh's ringtone is Happy Together also by The Piano Guys. 

When my Mom calls, it is Mama Said by the Shirelles.   I need some others but those are the people that call me the most. 

My general ringtone is Humoresque

My Scottish parents have Scotland the Brave

My oldest dd has the opening theme used for the 11th Doctor

My youngest dd has a Rush song - Time Stand Still

My dh varies.  Right now it is Darth Vader's theme. Sometimes it is Queen's "You're My Best Friend".  When I'm angry at him it is the ending part of "Paradise By the Dashboard Lights" - the part where Meatloaf is singing "So now I'm praying for the end of time . . .".

The school song? Or the Tunnel Walk?

True story: We were at the fair last summer, in line at the Lion's food booth with half the county. The Tunnel Walk (Sirius?) started playing and a half dozen people were groping for their phones :D

Hail Varsity. Being in Florida, I got weird looks when it would play.  I could always tell when a snowbird was from Nebraska, because they immediately recognized it.