Menu

How do you like this first name? (baby names...)

Monica_in_Switzerland

I like James, but then I've known a bunch of great guys named James.

I like Margot too. I love Daphne.  Miriam is nice, but I like Margot better.  I knew a Marielle, and she was super nice (and Swiss). 

I like Vita, because it reminds me of Vita Sackville-West….which makes me wonder if you've considered Violet?

Having said all that, I really think you need to meet the child before you can name him/her. We've had names planned for kids and then we see the little person and think "nah..no way…that doesn't fit."  

Stella is nice! I think I will have to let Dagny grow on me. :-) It sounds like "Dang me!" in my head. lol

Aren't you a kind one? Lol. I have a dear friend who is notorious (in a good way) about giving approving remarks for all baby name choices -- after she ruminated on Dagny for awhile, she blurted out, "You can't name a baby Dagny!" I think I discovered Dagny on a baby-naming board when someone described a Scandinavian Dagny she knew as a child; she was a spunky, fun, interesting child. By the way, we went the way of Dagny with our last boy, choosing the name Axel. We get a similar reaction to that but it did grow on us. He's a hoot and Axel fits him well. :)

I love Margot and Miriam. They are both classy and sweet. My grandmother's given name was Miriam (she went by her middle name Ruby), and we knew a sweet little Miriam, called "Miri."

I don't think they're old lady names. There's a resurgence of those lovely older names, and I am happy to see them gaining popularity again.

Cat

I love Miriam. Considered using it with the nickname Remi. Margot has grown on me but I am not sure if I quite love it yet.

That would be a little confusing to francophones, as Remi is a traditional, somewhat old-fashioned man's name.

That would be a little confusing to francophones, as Remi is a traditional, somewhat old-fashioned man's name.

Yes, I love Remi for a boy (also, isn't it the rat's name in Ratatouille?) but DH doesn't want clearly French names either!  LOL.  I also love René for a boy, but won't use it since most Americans would probably assume girl if they heard it. 

I've seen Hamish is books before, and had no idea it was a nickname for James!  How interesting!  Any idea what the etymology of that would be? 

It's not actually a nickname - it's the Scots Gaelic version of James.  So James VI of Scotland would actually have been Hamish VI.

L

I like old fashioned names but I have to say I don't like Miriam or Margot. I had a SIL that was named Margaret, and although I really do love the name, it reminds me of her.

I love Mabel, Evelyn, Millicent, Madaline (Mad-a-line like clothesline) and Violet.

I think Margot goes very nicely with the names of your other children.

I loved Daphne too, but my husband wouldn't go for it. Do you know what similar name he did like though? Everyone in the family liked it and if we'd had another girl at the time, we would have used it. But most people's first reaction is to hate it. It's one of those that can grow on you (or not, LOL). Dagny.

What do you think about Stella? I thought of it when I saw Scarlett on your list. I like Stella a lot, too.

I was going to suggest Stella too

I like Miriam(This was one we considered but a friend named her dd that.) and Margot if it was pronounced Mar-Go. I was going to suggest Ivy(that is one of my dd's names). It is old fashion and not very common but it looks like we have similar taste already. ;) Some other name ideas:

Katherine

Evangeline

Alice

Marie

Marianne

Evelyn

Joy

Jane

Lydia

Audrey

Mae

Nora

Rose

Rosemary

Violet

The trick is finding a name that your dh and you both like.

Yes!  We've never struggled to agree on boy's names, but every pregnancy, girl names have been a battle to the end.  :-)  And since we always keep the sex a surprise, we need to have one of each ready!

It was so hard after the first two especially. For our last two we only picked out one gender name because we found out. We couldn't agree on a name for our 4th until right before he was born. My dh was set on a particular name that happens to be quite popular now for boys as well as girls. I ended up letting him have it anyways. But I have to correct the spelling a lot since we went with the less common spelling. I wanted Silas but my dh vetoed it. :lol:

Aren't you a kind one? Lol. I have a dear friend who is notorious (in a good way) about giving approving remarks for all baby name choices -- after she ruminated on Dagny for awhile, she blurted out, "You can't name a baby Dagny!" I think I discovered Dagny on a baby-naming board when someone described a Scandinavian Dagny she knew as a child; she was a spunky, fun, interesting child. By the way, we went the way of Dagny with our last boy, choosing the name Axel. We get a similar reaction to that but it did grow on us. He's a hoot and Axel fits him well. :)

Dagny immediately and only makes me think of Atlas Shrugged. I would think someone using it was a fan of Ayn Rand. Depending upon how you think of Rand, that could be a good or bad thing.

I have a sister Margaret and a sil Daphne (so maybe they are old fashioned names!)

I like the name Margot. Makes me picture a saucy little French girl!

Dagny immediately and only makes me think of Atlas Shrugged. I would think someone using it was a fan of Ayn Rand. Depending upon how you think of Rand, that could be a good or bad thing.

I learned that a bit after falling in love with the name!  You're right.  But I had never even heard of Atlas Shrugged when I first heard the name.  When discussed on international baby-naming boards, there was much discussion of the name without reference to the book. It's not an uncommon name in Scandinavian countries from what I recall. I don't know that connecting Dagny with Atlas Shrugged is as prevalent as one might initially think. It's kind of like with Axel -- sure, a lot of people think of Axl Rose when I mention the name, but not everyone does and {shrug} I can't help that someone else out there (who happens to be well-known) also has the name.  I still wish I could name a daughter Dagny.  As I'm probably too old to have more kids, I may have to settle for naming my next cat Dagny.  :)

I think Margot goes very nicely with the names of your other children.

I loved Daphne too, but my husband wouldn't go for it. Do you know what similar name he did like though? Everyone in the family liked it and if we'd had another girl at the time, we would have used it. But most people's first reaction is to hate it. It's one of those that can grow on you (or not, LOL). Dagny.

What do you think about Stella? I thought of it when I saw Scarlett on your list. I like Stella a lot, too.

I love Dagny and will use for my next daughter.

Thanks for all the comments!  Just to give an idea, my other kids are Eliot, Ivy, and Roslyn. 

Margot is starting to grow on me, the more I think about it.  The other names that DH rejected from my list were:

Daphne (my fave... I've been trying to get him to ok it for four kids now...)

Fern

Tess or Tessa

Scarlett

Hazel

Joyce

Nora

Phyllis

Lucy

Vita

Vita will always remind me of Vita Wallace

http://www.amazon.com/Better-Than-School-Declaration-Independence/dp/0943914051/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393477611&sr=8-1&keywords=Better+Than+School

if that would make any difference to your DH. :laugh:

I love James, especially combined with a less common middle name. I dated a James Mahlon who alternated which name he went by depending on the circumstances, but managed to keep from being called Jim. I'll add my vote to keep the "t" on Margot, but Miriam is nice too.

My kids all have semi-old fashioned, relatively less popular names. 

For a boy, we are going to use James, even though it's pretty common, because my husband is set on it, and I don't mind it. 

For a girl, the only name on my long list of possibilities that DH didn't immediately reject was Margot.  Is it too "old lady" for a little girl?  He also only slightly frowned at Miriam and said he could live with it if necessary.  lol. 

I have to admit that - growing up in Europe - Margot sounds "older" to me whereas Miriam is beautiful - but it's all in the eye of the beholder or in the ear of the "hearer" in this case. :laugh:

I like Miriam(This was one we considered but a friend named her dd that.) and Margot if it was pronounced Mar-Go. I was going to suggest Ivy(that is one of my dd's names). It is old fashion and not very common but it looks like we have similar taste already. ;) Some other name ideas:

Katherine

Evangeline

Alice

Marie

Marianne

Evelyn

Joy

Jane

Lydia

Audrey

Mae

Nora

Rose

Rosemary

Violet

The trick is finding a name that your dh and you both like.

I corrected that list for you. ;)

I hate my name.  I think it is terribly stodgy and unattractive.  I am disheartened that it has become recently popular in Quebec French.  Although, I do admit it sounds infinitely better with the French pronunciation, it is still stodgy.  No girl wants to be stodgy.

I corrected that list for you. ;)

I hate my name.  I think it is terribly stodgy and unattractive.  I am disheartened that it has become recently popular in Quebec French.  Although, I do admit it sounds infinitely better with the French pronunciation, it is still stodgy.  No girl wants to be stodgy.

Well I shall stand corrected then since you should know. :lol:  I am not personally attached to it. It just sounded nice off the top of my head. I'm sure dh would have vetoed it. ;) By the way what is the French Pronunciation? To me it is pronounced AuDree. Oh and I love the word stodgy.

Well I shall stand corrected then since you should know. :lol:  I am not personally attached to it. It just sounded nice off the top of my head. I'm sure dh would have vetoed it. ;) By the way what is the French Pronunciation? To me it is pronounced AuDree. Oh and I love the word stodgy.

See here. http://www.pronouncenames.com/pronounce/audrey The French is at the top.

I think James and know any number of people called James.  I also know people named James but called "Jim," and I don't think most people here would call someone "jim" if he presented himself as James.  That might be regional.  James is a lovely, classic name. 

I know a Margot but her name is "Margaret" and her parents call  her Margo.  I actually love the name Margaret and don't know why more parents don't use it.  I think Margot is cute - I don't think it is an  old lady name at all, but I would probably call name her Margaret and that way she could always choose to use that name when she grows up. 

You also could use "Margaux."

Thanks for all the comments! Just to give an idea, my other kids are Eliot, Ivy, and Roslyn.

Margot is starting to grow on me, the more I think about it. The other names that DH rejected from my list were:

Daphne (my fave... I've been trying to get him to ok it for four kids now...)

Fern

Tess or Tessa

Scarlett

Hazel

Joyce

Nora

Phyllis

Lucy

Vita

I love love love the name Scarlett.

But if we have to please your dh Margot is beautiful too. ;)

I love it! I absolutely do. My dd's name (one of the names rejected by your dh) was very "old lady" when we chose it for her. Our families were horrified. That same name is now in the Social Security baby name database's top 100. Choose what you love. (Also, I have an Eliot too! It's a middle name for mine, but spelled the same.)

I love James.

Margot....I prefer the Margo spelling, even though I love the historical feel of the traditional Margot. But, I look at Margot and I worry some kids/people might misread it.

Do you really want an M name? Are you looking for any traditional and less used names?

I like Margaret, but the French version is Marguerite, which is even too old fashioned for me, and I need a name that works in both languages. 

Love your siggie, btw.  That's about how our school runs as well...

Why doesn't Marguerite work in both languages?

Yep! My daughter is Hazel. Totally an old lady name. That's not a deterrent to me. ;)

Well, even if it is "old lady," she will one day be an old lady.  I'd rather be an old lady named Hazel than Tiffany, or Brittany.  Not that there's anything wrong with those names.   :)  Yesterday, Indy looked up from whatever he was doing and said, "I like the name Ethel."  That's all he said.  

Thanks for all the comments!  Just to give an idea, my other kids are Eliot, Ivy, and Roslyn. 

Margot is starting to grow on me, the more I think about it.  The other names that DH rejected from my list were:

Vita

How are you pronouncing Margot?  Would there be any difference in pronunciation in either language?  Also, I adore the name Vita, though I'd go with Evita instead.  You know, as long as we can convince Argentina not to cry for her.  :rofl:

There's also Jay.  Or you could go Scots and call him Hamish.

L

That's John Watson's name.  You know, in case anyone was wondering.   :smilielol5:  :smilielol5:  :smilielol5:

I was very nearly a Margaret, as that's my grandmother's first name, but my parents decided to use her middle name as my first name.  Of course THEN, they decide to call me by my middle name, which has caused me untold problems my entire life, especially when I have to explain that I don't go by my middle name, blah, blah, blah.  That's just silly.  If you're going to call your child by a certain name, give it as the first name.   :banghead:  Oh, and on top of this, my middle name is very, very unusual (I'll be most of you have never met anyone with my name), AND they spelled it weird.  Double  :banghead:  :banghead:

Our boys don't have terribly common names, though Indy's is now in the top 50 IIRC, but we made sure their first names are the ones we were going to call them. As my dad pointed out though, both boys actually have 3 last names, instead of a first, middle and last, and all their names are technically last names.  I'm going to share something personal!  Indy's middle name is Hastings. James Bond picked it.  He had no reason, other than he liked the way it sounded.  I picked Indy's first name (it's a family name), so JB picked the middle name.  Han Solo's middle name is Shaffer (pronounced Shay-fer).  I picked it out, as it was my great-grandfather's name (spelled Shaffer), and *his* was his great-grandmother's maiden name, though hers was spelled the correct German way, Schaefer (she was German).  James Bond got to pick Han Solo's first name, but I had full veto privileges.   :)  His first name has to do with the Beatles (JB's favorite band), but it is not Jude! 

My mom's name is Margot.

It's a pretty cool name. She's very smart, strong willed and has been an amazing mother and woman. It fits her.

The only downside is that Americans sometimes pronounce it Mar-Got when they read it, but she corrects them.

I think it will be a little odd to see a cute, pretty child going around being called Margot. But she will grow into it.

I also love love the name Margaret. But then sue will be called Margy which is awful