Menu

Would you say yes?

Dmmetler

Should I adopt a ball python for DD for Christmas?  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Should I let DD adopt another snake?

• Yes, she's shown herself well able to handle it
    • no, are you out of your mind.?
    • Cupcakes for everyone!

My DD9 loves reptiles, especially snakes. She works with a herpetologist on field work, has spent hours investigating and observing the earth snakes in our backyard, and donates to a reptile program to support their animals. She has a pet corn snake, who she wrote a paper to convince us to let her get, does extra chores to buy the animal's food and handles most of her care. She dotes on that snake.

I was just asked if she'd like to adopt a ball python that one of the teens who used to be in our homeschool group left behind when he went to college, and has finally agreed to let his mom find a home for it.

This would be a dream Christmas for DD if we adopted the snake and gave it to her. She wanted a ball python when she got the corn (who also came from a teen In our group who has decided she was more interested in boys than snakes). The snake comes with it's house, so it probably won't cost too much.

But I'm starting to have visions of being left behind with a houseful of animals when she goes to college. And both the corn snake and the ball are likely to still be alive when she's in her late teens. I don't mind the snakes while DD is here-it's down the road that's a bit scary. She says she's not going to college if she can't take her snake with her but I don't know many dorms that accept reptiles.

So, should we say yes, adopt the snake, and make DD extremely happy, but take on a long-term responsibility that may well stretch past the time DD leaves home?

Guest submarines

I'd say yes. She has good 9 years until college (okay, maybe a little less with her pace). Maybe by that time she will establish a snake sanctuary. Maybe there will be another passionate young herpetologist to pass on her snakes on to. In any case, college is a long time away.

Guest submarines

Hah, yeah I hate snakes.  I'm basically ignoring the part about us talking about snakes.  LOL

It would be very hard for me to have a pet snake, but if my child was that passionate and dedicated, and responsible, and I could afford it, I'd totally do that to support her.

I absolutely cannot stand snakes AT ALL, so I wouldn't have allowed the first one.  However, we do have a gecko (per DD's request about eight years ago, at the age of four, when she got crazy interested in them), and in a similar situation, I could see allowing a second one.  So yeah, I'd probably let your daughter adopt the animal, and I'd assume that if/when the time came, you'd be able to find a new home for the critters.

What's with the snake hate? It's like getting a kid  a dog, except less affection. But also MUCH less work and annoyance for OP.  Plus extra chores from the kid to "pay" for the snake's food. Win-win.

If she's responsible and passionate, I say go for it.

What goes around comes around. It's not all that unlikely that when she goes to college, some other little girl or boy will be pleased to adopt her pets.

I think if your present circumstances can allow it, then I'd let her get it and not worry too much about the future.  She's only 9, and a lot can happen between now and then.  Maybe by the time she goes to college she'll be ready to donate it to a biology class at the local high school.

My cousin had a couple of snakes growing up and he loved them, and eventually became a biology teacher!  I remember staying overnight at his house and walking downstairs to the bathroom in the middle of the night, only to find the snake wrapped around the hand rail.  (He would let it out at night sometimes.)

If she was 16 I'd have some concerns, but not at her age.

I would do it!

In the summer of 2012, a turtle laid eggs in our yard....literally like 25-30 ft from our house...it wasn't the first time because we live in a perfect location for them.  All the other times we saw a turtle lay eggs, we left them and within a couple days the nests were invaded and eggs eaten.  :(  My son LOVES reptiles too.  He is 8.  (He's begging for a snake!)  So, this time we decided to dig up the eggs and incubate them.  (It's not illegal on your own property. ;))  All 7 eggs hatched and all 7 turtles survived.  We decided to let my son keep one...before we realized how long they can live.  So, now we have a pet turtle who will definitely still be here when he leaves for college.  :glare:  

We decided to go ahead with it and deal with the college issue when we cross that bridge. 

My husband has told him he can get a snake when he turns....9, I think...maybe 10.  My husband had snakes growing up.  In fact, he raised them and sold them to pet stores.  :lol:   My son can't wait.  He is SO excited. 

I do agree with not getting anymore though.  We will let him keep his turtle and we will get him a snake, but we are not going to be a small reptile zoo.  :huh:

My son also catches frogs and toads every summer.  He'll keep them for a few days or for a month or more and feed them then let them go again.  Perfect pet...keep for for as long as you want, then let it go again.  Ha, ha!

The question really is: am I willing to take care of a snake that I will be housing after my children leave home? The answer to that is no. I voted for cupcakes. :D

eta: My answer would be the same if it was a horse or any other creature I might need to take care of after they leave home. I'm not much of an animal person.

My DD9 loves reptiles, especially snakes. She works with a herpetologist on field work, has spent hours investigating and observing the earth snakes in our backyard, and donates to a reptile program to support their animals. She has a pet corn snake, who she wrote a paper to convince us to let her get, does extra chores to buy the animal's food and handles most of her care. She dotes on that snake.

I was just asked if she'd like to adopt a ball python that one of the teens who used to be in our homeschool group left behind when he went to college, and has finally agreed to let his mom find a home for it.

This would be a dream Christmas for DD if we adopted the snake and gave it to her. She wanted a ball python when she got the corn (who also came from a teen In our group who has decided she was more interested in boys than snakes). The snake comes with it's house, so it probably won't cost too much.

But I'm starting to have visions of being left behind with a houseful of animals when she goes to college. And both the corn snake and the ball are likely to still be alive when she's in her late teens. I don't mind the snakes while DD is here-it's down the road that's a bit scary. She says she's not going to college if she can't take her snake with her but I don't know many dorms that accept reptiles.

So, should we say yes, adopt the snake, and make DD extremely happy, but take on a long-term responsibility that may well stretch past the time DD leaves home?

As responsible as she is now, at 9, I think you can trust that she will be responsible in figuring out care for them when she is 18 and goes to college. I'd get it for her. (keep in mind, I kind of want a ball python myself, lol)

What's with the snake hate? It's like getting a kid a dog, except less affection. But also MUCH less work and annoyance for OP. Plus extra chores from the kid to "pay" for the snake's food. Win-win.

If she's responsible and passionate, I say go for it.

What goes around comes around. It's not all that unlikely that when she goes to college, some other little girl or boy will be pleased to adopt her pets.

If I had to buy live animals to feed to my dogs and watch them get swallowed whole, I wouldn't have dogs...

I don't know what I'd do. My husband is not a snake fan at all, whereas I find them creepy vs. terrifying, so I'd be the one doing all the caretaking after DC goes to college. It would be really hard to say no to that kind of passion.

If I had to buy live animals to feed to my dogs and watch them get swallowed whole, I wouldn't have dogs...

I don't know what I'd do. My husband is not a snake fan at all, whereas I find them creepy vs. terrifying, so I'd be the one doing all the caretaking after DC goes to college. It would be really hard to say no to that kind of passion.

Most pet snakes eat frozen mice, not live. Safer for the snake.  It's not the most awesome thing, but, they eat less than once  a week.  ( I do not have a pet snake, never did, but I looked into it once).

Most pet snakes eat frozen mice, not live. Safer for the snake. It's not the most awesome thing, but, they eat less than once a week. ( I do not have a pet snake, never did, but I looked into it once).

Frozen? Cool! I've only seen feeder mice at Petco. Let her get the snake!

My brother had a pet snake when we were kids, so I don't have a problem with a pet snake.   I think your biggest problem is when she goes off to college.   Would she be willing to find another home for it when she goes to college?    If so, I think you should get it.

I would suggest that you slowly, slowly get to know the snake, so you can deal with it in case of an emergency.   They aren't as bad as people imagine.

What!?! I can't choose "yes" AND "cupcakes for everyone"? What kind of rigged poll is this?

My slightly more nuanced answer is maybe no. Not because it is a snake (which I love) but on the "stuck with it" front. Regular ball pythons and redtailed boas are the two most difficult snakes to resell/rehome. Seriously, they're hard to give away. And know that they're also some of the most ill-kept snakes because they're so frequently bought from a pet store and kept by people who don't know what they're doing, so the chance of it coming with health issues and parasites is decent; not a certainty but do be careful.

So my answer is yes, if you don't mind keeping it and you check on the prior keeping conditions and health of the animal.

Part 2 of my answer: I'm assuming she will want more "advanced" animals as she grows up. I'm guessing you're not going to allow venemous reptiles in the house, but there are certainly other harder to keep animals, such as arboreal snakes and specific-humidity-dependent lizards. If you want to limit the number of animals, it may be more beneficial to you to set aside a certain amount of money each gift-giving occasion to go to these higher-need (and often higher-dollar) reptiles and have your daughter make specific targeted plans for each purchase, including the specialized caging needs for some of them.

She may be thrilled with a ball python in the short term, but I personally imagine the level of ecstatic I would feel with a proper cage to keep a water dragon! Or how I felt when I bought my yearling green tree python - I was so in love with that snake!

If you are going to limit the animals, let her really fall in love with each one, not just go with the one in front of her.

ETA: I still voted yes, because for me more snakes is a GOOD thing. But since that's not the case for you, I'd personally pass on the ball. Your daughter already has a great beginner snake and I'd wait it out until there a real passion for a very specific animal to come next.

Since you already have one, I voted yes. In my house, there would either live a snake or I would live there - the two of us would not co-exist in close proximity. But since this is not an issue for you, why not? Go ahead and make this an unforgettable Christmas for your daughter.

I need to know this: Could this ball python harm someone? Are they not of the constrictor family? EEEEEKKKKKKKK.

Well, as a mom who still has 6 horses... All but one belong to dds who no longer live here. We also went from 1sheep to over 90, then added two more sheds, two llamas, a new well, and then livestock guardian dogs... I'm a sucker for animals for my kids. We did move out the sheep when the wool-sheep shepherdesses left and now only have market sheep. As long as you keep pointing out that the snakes leave when she does, I'd go for it. That's the problem with the horses. They're mostly retired dressage horses, so the only choices are keep them or put them down. So, we feed them.

Margaret, Margaret, there is a huge difference! Wonderful, loving and useful animals like horses can simply not be compared with something that slithers on its belly...sorry snake lovers. I'd rather live with a black widow (had one hanging in a corner of the laundry room once and didn't bother me a bit) than a snake of any kind.

I'd let her get it.  Ball pythons make awesome pets, and she's nine, right?  College seems like kind of a flimsy reason to say no.  I mean, she might not go to college.  Or she might to go a college that doesn't have dorms, rent an apartment, and take the snake with her.  Or she might make other snake-loving friends before then and one would be happy to take the snake.  Or she might sneak it into her dorm room anyway.  Who knows?  If snakes are her passion, don't use something a decade down the road as an excuse to say no.

I need to get some questions answered, but if they come out well, I'm kind of hoping we can pick it up on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. I'm guessing I can't arrange for the snake to be under the tree on Christmas morning (it's hard to hide a big terrarium that needs a spot basking lamp and an under tank heating pad) but I'd really love to be able to surprise her with something I know she wants so much, especially since she knows what most of her presents are already.

Well, since my mom (mid 60s) just adopted yet another parrot (and has 4 already, ages 7-26), and they can live 80 years...I'm a bad one to ask. Yes, I will get her parrots. I dont care for birds, they scare me for some reason. But they bring her so much joy, like my dog does. And if something happened to me (and my dh and kids) I know my mom who is not a dog person would take my dog. So I will take her birds, and care for them lovingly (if not joyously!) until I can find a good home for them. You will do the same- college is a long ways off yet, and it's not forever anyway. If the snakes need to live with you for a few years while goes to school and gets settled, why not? It's worth it to feed a passion, IMO.

I just took hilarious photos of our bearded dragon wearing a Santa hat, get a wee hat from a craft store, stick it on the snake, and viola- a Christmas memory you will never beat!

In your circumstances I would consider it but only if you are okay with the possibility that you will be left with the snake down the road. This would obviously make her happy and she does sound very responsible. She is only 9 though and this might not be her future obsession when she is old enough to either go to college or move out or even later down the road living at home. I couldn't see myself in that situation because I don't care to take on any more pets and my kids have other passions and interests.

Snakes aren't like dogs and cats.  They don't get attached to their owners.  If there comes a time when you can't or don't want to be responsible for it anymore you can find a good home for it to move on to (just like the owners of the snake you have and the one you are considering chose to do).

We have a lizard.  I fully expect that ours won't be it's only home over the course of our life.  As long as I ensure it goes to a responsible owner who will take good care of it when my children move on to college I feel I will have fulfilled my duty as its owner.  (and I will make some other kids ridiculously happy, just as mine were when they adopted it from the high school kid down the street)