Menu

Do you wear a wrist watch?

RoughCollie

Do you wear a wrist watch?  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wear a wrist watch?

I stopped wearing one when I had my first baby because it got caught on his head when I was holding him (all the time).  I've since decided that I like to live my life in the moment without the constant reminder of what time it is.  Now I only pay attention to the time if I have to be somewhere.

I wear my wristwatch when I leave the house. I cannot imagine depending on the cell phone to find the time when I'm out, which would require opening the side pocket on my purse, pressing the whatchamacallit button so I can see the screen, putting it back into the side pocket on my purse, as opposed to lifting and/or slightly turning my left forearm. :huh:

I feel naked without my watch.  Plus, my watch tan line is the only way I can prove to people that I really do have a bit of a tan. 

My ds will sometimes where a watch.  He likes the way they look.  My dd rarely wears one.  When she does it is a fashion accessory.

My dh wears one when he remembers to put it on.  But he has been like that since before cell phones.

I wear my wristwatch when I leave the house. I cannot imagine depending on the cell phone to find the time when I'm out, which would require opening the side pocket on my purse, pressing the whatchamacallit button so I can see the screen, putting it back into the side pocket on my purse, as opposed to lifting and/or slightly turning my left forearm. :huh:

I don't always rely on my phone for the time, but my watch is kinda fancy and delicate for roughing it with the kids so sometimes I do. My phone usually lives in the pocket of my jeans or skirt and it comes on automatically when I touch it. It also has my calendar and email so it's the go to for answering the questions "what time is it?! What am I supposed to be doing?! And finally "who do I need to contact today?!" More features than a watch.

I wouldn't schlep a purse everywhere if someone paid me cash. The best I can manage is a tote bag, which mostly stays in the car, with first aid, pens, paper, snacks and books. Sometimes. If a skirt doesn't have pockets, I fix that right away. ;)

I've considered getting a sportier watch but one I am cheap and two, I would be tempted to wear it durin boot camp classes and I need to be turning up my cardio not glancing to see how many more minutes of this hell there are to go.

I stopped wearing a watch when I was pregnant with my first. If I put on a watch it just stopped. Dead would not work.  So I got out of the habit. Tried to wear a watch with pregnancy #2 and the same thing happened. The watch would not work. So I am not going to bother with this one.

DH told me a few years ago that nobody wears wrist watches any more. So when mine died, I tried to get by without one. I was constantly pulling out my cell phone for no reason other than to check the time. After about a year of that, I decided that it would be so clever to just have the time attached to my arm, so DH bought me a nice watch. I am much happier now.

I voted: sometimes.

I retired this year, but was required to wear a watch while on duty.

I always wear a watch when I'm flying or taking the train. Those are the only situations I feel a NEED to keep track of the time.

I wear a watch when dressed in Sunday clothes - weddings, funerals, Mass. These are inherited pieces too precious for everyday.

I was born tanned, so no tan lines to show off ;) I don't wear a watch on a day-to-day basis. Where I'm from, people are more relaxed about time. I just don't really find myself worrying or wondering much about what time it is. I get there when I get there, it's whatever time it is. This would work out better if I lived where I grew up. LOL

Yes, I wear one and have pretty much always worn one. The thought of having to rummage through my purse to find my phone and then the distraction of the screen, emails, messages etc is enough to keep me wearing one. My problem is tiny wrists. I can never find one that is small enough so mine always end up being worn kind of like a bracelet :glare:

I feel naked without a watch. I have a nice collection of modern and antique watches that I can coordinate with what I wear. Dh has even more watches than I do.

Our kids do not wear watches.

I feel completely naked without my watch!  I have a collection of Mickey Mouse watches.  Since our honeymoon in WDW, I've gotten a new watch every time we go to Disney.  I now have 11!  Some of them are classic Mickey's, but most are fancy.  My current favorite is a gold watch with rhinestones down the band, a mother of pearl face with a gold Mickey on it.  I love my Mickey watches!  

Indy wears a watch every now and then.

the last time i wore a watch was in the 80's. i believe it was a swatch, lol.

HAHAHA!  I wore 3 Swatches on one arm and 1 on the other.  I was SUPER cool.  BTW, each watch was set to a different time zone.

I always wear my watch when I'm going out.  Like a few other posters, I feel naked without it.  It's pretty, and since I'm not big on jewelry (I wear earrings every day, but no other jewelry unless it's a special occasion), it's like an accessory.  Plus, it's much easier to quickly look at my watch for the time than get my phone out. 

I just started wearing one 2 years ago. I am NOT a jewelry person, but bought it for a trip to Disney we were going on. I got this one in grey/pink: http://www.amazon.com/Timex-Womens-T5K459-Digital-Translucent/dp/B003QFXP3U/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1384892482&sr=8-6&keywords=timex+women%27s+watch

I wore it all day, every day and night for 2 years. I didn't need to take it off for showers or anything. I love it. Mine finally broke, I'm wearing my son's until I get another one. I use the light at night to get back and forth from the bathroom, I just keep pressing it to make a little walkway for myself in the dark, lol.

I do believe it is fast on it's way "out," but I always wear a wristwatch and I don't have any plans to quit. :) I know I could pull out my phone or whatever, but considering how often people out and about notice my watch and ask if I have the time, I'm thinking there's something in the convenience of having it at hand. Plus I just feel empty without one. It's a thoroughly-embedded habit now. 

I do believe it is fast on it's way "out," but I always wear a wristwatch and I don't have any plans to quit. :) I know I could pull out my phone or whatever, but considering how often people out and about notice my watch and ask if I have the time, I'm thinking there's something in the convenience of having it at hand. Plus I just feel empty without one. It's a thoroughly-embedded habit now. 

I can never get my cell phone out of my front pocket faster than I can glance at my wrist.  Having worn the same cut jeans for about forever, I can't speculate, but are pockets being cut larger as gadgets grow?

n49pc3.jpg

I'd be lost without my watch - even if I had a cell phone on me (which I usually don't).  I use my watch several times each day.  It's an "active" kind so I don't need to take it off for anything (swimming/diving, etc).  I do take it off to shower, but that's it.  I don't have several.  I have one... we bond.  ;)  It's not an accessory or jewelry, it's a tool that is "me."

I can never get my cell phone out of my front pocket faster than I can glance at my wrist.  Having worn the same cut jeans for about forever, I can't speculate, but are pockets being cut larger as gadgets grow?

n49pc3.jpg

I can't speak for man pants but the jeans I bought a few months ago have pockets so tiny I can't even get my hand in.  I was informed that the phone is supposed to stick out so everyone can see your bling.

Thank you all for answering my poll.

I don't like wearing things on my wrists.  This is one reason I plan to never get arrested.  When my boys were in the NICU, I had to wear 4 bracelets for 3 months -- one for each, plus one for me -- and that about drove me crazy!

I just remembered -- my Kindle has the time, too.  So does the car.  There is no shortage of stuff I can see the time on.  As for the date, if I'm not at my computer, I just ask someone if I need to know. 

Now that the weather is colder, I stick my phone in my barn coat pocket when I go out.  It has to stay in my purse when the weather is warm.  Only my jeans have deep enough pockets such that the phone will definitely not fall out.  I am the only person in this family who has never lost a cell phone (or had it fall in the toilet).  I take pride in that.

It drives my kids crazy if I don't answer their texts right away, and it's usually because I don't carry the phone around the house with me, or answer it when I'm busy.  They are mostly boys, and they can't grok why my pants don't all have deep enough pockets like theirs do, so I can answer their texts on demand.  These texts are important:  What are we having for dinner?, What is rot chix? (rotisserie chicken), I'm bored, Where is Dad, he's 5 minutes late picking us up (like I have a crystal ball).

I am not a slave to my phone, even with kids.  DH's office is 2 minutes from their college and they can call him if there is an emergency.

One more thing you Need To Know.  I take the phone with me when I walk my dog so I can time our walks.  I feel virtuous when he's been walked for at least one hour a day.  Kind of like a pioneer, really, in the winter.  Like I've traveled 1,500 miles in my covered wagon to get to my new home on the prairie, and survived a True Hardship.  That's what being outside in the cold does to me. It fries my brain.

I had a wrist watch back in Jr. high. I broke the band fidgeting with it because I hated (and still hate ) having things around my wrist. (I also don't wear my wedding ring, or long- sleeve blouses.)

I switched to a pendant watch, and eventually a pocket watch ( complete with a chain), and happily gave up that when I acquired my first cell phone.

I also don't carry a purse, like the previous pp. I did carry a diaper bag up until each kiddo outgrew explosive blow- outs. After that, I just stashed a couple of diapers and a pack of wipes in the back seat of my car.

I wear one everyday and would feel naked without it. I don't keep my cell phone on my body, so my watch is much more convenient.

I also have small wrists, but wear a metal watch that I was able to take enough links out of to make it fit properly. I've tried the "bracelet watch" thing in the past and that drove me crazy.

I did find out recently that when DH says his watch is "self-winding", it means the watch winds itself, not DH as I had thought.  So I got him a watch winder for Christmas.  You put your watch in it and it moves and the watch rewinds itself while you sleep.  I had no idea this gadget existed! 

I stopped wearing a watch when I was pregnant with my first. If I put on a watch it just stopped. Dead would not work.  So I got out of the habit. Tried to wear a watch with pregnancy #2 and the same thing happened. The watch would not work. So I am not going to bother with this one.

This is just the strangest phenomenon!  I had never heard of it before, so I googled it.  The only reference I found, which was not related to pregnancy per se (it could have been, but that detail was omitted), stated that the problem fixed itself when the watch-wearer put a piece of tape over the back of the watch to keep it from touching their skin.

If we have three people here on this message board who have happened to see this post and who have had this problem, you'd think it would be widespread enough to get more internet chatter.

I did find out recently that when DH says his watch is "self-winding", it means the watch winds itself, not DH as I had thought.  So I got him a watch winder for Christmas.  You put your watch in it and it moves and the watch rewinds itself while you sleep.  I had no idea this gadget existed! 

I've seen those with multiple windy-go-rounds in one case so rich guys can wind several all their Rolexes at once.  Usually involves lots of walnut and leather.