Menu

When did Amazon change the min $amount for free shipping?

naturally

Just went to check. It said FREE SHIPPING on orders over $35 and FREE SHIPPING was clickable. I clicked and it said it changed yesterday and said to read more about it go here where they tell you that they haven't changed it in SO long, oh, and by the way, Amazon Prime is a great deal.

Just went to check. It said FREE SHIPPING on orders over $35 and FREE SHIPPING was clickable. I clicked and it said it changed yesterday and said to read more about it go here where they tell you that they haven't changed it in SO long, oh, and by the way, Amazon Prime is a great deal.

It is!!

Then basically it is just a matter of time til they increase the price for Prime :(

Because if it went up to $35 for free shipping, a lot more people will spring for Prime. Then once we all feel lucky to have Prime and not have to spend $35 for free shipping and we're all addicted to 2-day shipping, etc., they will do things like one or more of the following:

1. increase the price for the current Prime membership

2. introduce a Prime Premium type thing where now you have to pay extra for the things we get now (like 2 day shipping)

3. separate out the streaming so you no longer get that with Prime

4. etc., etc.

Save this thread and check back in 6 months to a year and you'll see that I was right! (but I hope I'm not-lol)

Then basically it is just a matter of time til they increase the price for Prime :(

Because if it went up to $35 for free shipping, a lot more people will spring for Prime. Then once we all feel lucky to have Prime and not have to spend $35 for free shipping and we're all addicted to 2-day shipping, etc., they will do things like one or more of the following:

2. introduce a Prime Premium type thing where now you have to pay extra for the things we get now (like 2 day shipping)

4. etc., etc.

Save this thread and check back in 6 months to a year and you'll see that I was right! (but I hope I'm not-lol)

I'm afraid you are. That's what I was thinking too.

One more reason to love Prime! Just repaid my $79/year............. No regrets!

I didn't notice the shipping price increase but just today my son was saying how much he likes having prime. I signed up and he is one of the household users on my account. Between my husband, son, and I we have saved waaaaay more with that $79 then we've spent.

4. etc., etc.

I think you're going to be right...

When did they start charging tax on orders? I just noticed it this week, but I'm not usually paying attention in the heat of the shopping moment.  :tongue_smilie:

They've always charged tax here since they are located here.  Whether or not tax is charged is based on your state's laws, so something must have changed there. 

They've always charged tax here since they are located here.  Whether or not tax is charged is based on your state's laws, so something must have changed there. 

This.  When I first started using Amazon (1998? 1997? I forget exactly) I lived in Washington so taxes were just part of the experience.

I'm not surprised or disgruntled I've often wondered how they made any money w/ how they do shipping. I noticed that they changed subscribe and ship as well, not sure when that happened. We just resigned for Prime last week, very coincidentally.

Ten years is a long time to not raise the price on something, and shipping costs have gone up during those years. If they raise the price of Prime, it will also have been a long time (We've had it for 5 years with no price increase. It was probably the same price even long before we became members.). As long as the monthly breakdown of Prime's cost still saves us money, I'll pay the increased price if it happens. We buy so much from there that it probably will still be worth it.

When did they start charging tax on orders? I just noticed it this week, but I'm not usually paying attention in the heat of the shopping moment.  :tongue_smilie:

I think they started charging tax around a year or so ago in states where they have warehouses or locations.

Everyone was supposed to have been paying taxes on the items they bought from Amazon. Most people don't, but that doesn't change the fact that it's the law. Items from Amazon are not actually "tax free". People just don't include their online purchases when they do their taxes.

Amazon is building a warehouse in Florida, which means eventually they'll collect tax on my purchases. If they have a presence in your state, they now have to collect taxes on your purchases.If they aren't in your state, it's the honor system, and you're supposed to pay those taxes yourself come tax time.

Question: With Prime, does that cover shipping for items not shipped by Amazon, or just the ones shipped through the Amazon system?  That's where I lose a lot of shipping dollars.  Thanks. 

Only on items "Fulfilled by Amazon." For the vast majority of 3rd party sellers, no.

Many 3rd party sellers are moving to the Fulfilled by Amazon model so that they can offer free shipping. Sales are down for those who don't use that option (I'm in several seller groups on Amazon and facebook and the future of 3rd party selling on Amazon leans toward FBA) I'd recommend always using Prime Eligible as a filter to see if there's a seller who uses FBA.

I checked the inflation calculator and an item which cost 25.00 in 2003 would cost 31.xx today. The thing is I know they haven't changed it in at least 10 years, but I don't know the exact year they did change it. If it was about 12 years ago then this is in line with inflation. If the $25 was set more than 12 years ago $35 is better than inflation.

I'm not even sure their real goal is keeping up with inflation as much as it is selling Prime. I'm considering Prime myself at this point, after refusing to sign up all these years for fear of the gratification (and budget havoc) of instant ordering!

Radio news report this morning: Prime users spend at twice the rate as other users of amazon. I think the waiting period I have when I put stuff in my cart and wait until I have enough to make free shipping is a good check for me. With prime instant gratification could be too much of a temptation to spend too much. If I have to have a book NOW, there is always a grocery item I can use to fill the order (our family is gf), but mostly I gradually fill the cart and reassess need.

I don't thin $35 is bad. A lot of places require $50.

This ticks me off enough that it will probably decrease my Amazon purchases,  Even though I often am in the $35 to $50 total range.  I usually start the order when it goes over $25 then I think of some more stuff I need. 

Where I live, I think a great many people have Amazon prime that is used frequently.  Amazon uses the 2-day shipping tape on my packages, and they always arrive within 2-days even though I use the free shipping option.  I think the shippers just see Amazon and zip those packages through. 

I am like the previous poster.  I add stuff to my cart and when it hits the free price or I need something right away then I place the order.  We get vitamins for our DD that cost around $10 and we can always use extra of those. 

Radio news report this morning: Prime users spend at twice the rate as other users of amazon. I think the waiting period I have when I put stuff in my cart and wait until I have enough to make free shipping is a good check for me. With prime instant gratification could be too much of a temptation to spend too much. If I have to have a book NOW, there is always a grocery item I can use to fill the order (our family is gf), but mostly I gradually fill the cart and reassess need.

Yeah, $35 is probably not going to be a big deal for me either. I can generally add a little something, or toilet paper, that we need anyway. I actually don't buy a lot of books either; I buy things like batteries or Lego sets most often. Mostly I get books used or in e-form, or I just buy a big chunk of our curricula at once, so it would easily be over the $35.

Radio news report this morning: Prime users spend at twice the rate as other users of amazon

While I believe this is true, I think a lot of purchases are just relocated to Amazon from other stores. I buy household items, cleaning supplies, food items, office supplies, shoes, etc that ten years ago I used to buy at Walmart or target. I think I actually spend less because I can log on, send myself exactly what I need and log off. No wandering around the store for pens, dish washing detergent and dandruff shampoo and walking out with $200 worth of crap I don't actually need.

Aaaaaaaaaand that would be here in NJ. I don't the warehouse is even operational yet.

In TX too.

I love Amazon. Even if I hadn't just joined Prime, the increase to $35 for free shipping wouldn't bother me.

I love another poster's suggestion about buying household necessities there too. I hadn't even looked into that because I am all about the books for the most part. :)

While I believe this is true, I think a lot of purchases are just relocated to Amazon from other stores. I buy household items, cleaning supplies, food items, office supplies, shoes, etc that ten years ago I used to buy at Walmart or target. I think I actually spend less because I can log on, send myself exactly what I need and log off. No wandering around the store for pens, dish washing detergent and dandruff shampoo and walking out with $200 worth of crap I don't actually need.

I think another piece of this is that the population is so mobile. I think fewer people are born, grow up, raise their families, grow old and die all in the same place. I can order local speciality items from back home on Amazon, when in the past I had to ask someone to go buy them for me and ship them to me. I can also have gifts shipped to my family 3754 miles away.

This is the first year we've had prime, and I have to say I'm a big fan. We really don't use the book lend or streaming benefits, but we still save money using Prime. As an example, one of ds's jobs is to change the furnace filter. He just informed us that we need more filters. I went to amazon, found filters that were better than the ones we've been using and at a better price. I ordered them, and they'll be here in two days. I didn't have to drive to the home improvement store, so I saved gas, and I didn't have to resist the temptation of picking up other things that weren't necessities. This happens routinely...diapers, formula, cleaners, and the list goes on. This doesn't include the books and homeschool supplies we also order. We are big prime fans!

I think another piece of this is that the population is so mobile. I think fewer people are born, grow up, raise their families, grow old and die all in the same place. I can order local speciality items from back home on Amazon, when in the past I had to ask someone to go buy them for me and ship them to me. I can also have gifts shipped to my family 3754 miles away.

Yes! That would be self-rising cornmeal for me. I've never seen it East of the Mississipi.