Menu

Shoes or no shoes on a scooter?

Karen in CO

Hypothetically, if you were supervising a group of 6 kids at lunch as part of a rotation between the parents, would you allow a kid to ride a scooter without shoes? These are kick scooters, not motored ones. The kids in question are between 8 and 10. The children bring their own scooters to ride after they eat lunch outside. There are flat sidewalks not near traffic.

Thanks -

My kids think it is funny that I get to be considered a responsible adult. :D

I grew up barefoot, so shoes are a personal choice here for outside play. Most often, the kids choose shoes because the ground is HARD and there are granite chips instead of sand or rocks.

I also have viewed shoes on a scooter as a self-correcting problem. It really only takes one or two times trying to stop without them to learn for yourself that they are a wise choice.

My youngest told me today that the mother watching them at lunch wouldn't let her ride her scooter without shoes. She's my kid that will need the lesson a few times. Last summer we had the same issue, and it only took a half block for her to learn. The older two only ever tried once.

I'd let him ride barefoot.

I bike ride and drive my car in bare feet.

I'd only stop him if I knew his parents didn't like it, or if I knew they felt it was unsafe.

My kids and I are almost always barefoot. It's common where we're from.

It's considered ... odd? uncivilized? stupid? ... where we currently live, so we're usually the only ones doing it LOL.

We also sit on the front patio during thunderstorms because they're so pretty, while our neighbors are freaking out in their inner bathrooms and closets.

We live on the edge B)

I grew up barefoot, so shoes are a personal choice here for outside play.

I also have viewed shoes on a scooter as a self-correcting problem. It really only takes one or two times trying to stop without them to learn for yourself that they are a wise choice.

:iagree: This. I grew up running around barefoot so I have no problems with my dc doing so as well. (Dh grew up with a mom who thought--and still thinks--that people should wear shoes all the time unless they're bathing or sleeping.)

I also figure kids will figure out for themselves that shoes and scooters go together. I mean, won't they want to wear shoes after they get a sore foot from scooting against pavement or concrete ?

Shoes are a must. 2 years ago, my dd was barefoot on a scooter (10 yo), tried to stop and ended up with a horrific wound and broken toe.

Otherwise, my kids are barefoot 90% of the time. I was raised barefoot. I only require them if we go to a business, walk on sidewalks (glass), or ride bikes/scooters.

I grew up barefoot a lot of the time. I also hurt my feet a lot. My daughter is a total klutz. She learned the hard way not to ride her bicycle wearing flip flops. She caught her flip flop in the spokes of the tire, it ripped off her flip flop and the spoke went into her foot. It took 16 stitches to get her foot closed up and she still has loss of feeling in that foot ten years later. SHOES on is always best when outside doing stuff.

My youngest told me today that the mother watching them at lunch wouldn't let her ride her scooter without shoes. She's my kid that will need the lesson a few times. Last summer we had the same issue, and it only took a half block for her to learn. The older two only ever tried once.

I have the same thoughts. I feel like once they are past a certain age they should have enough common sense to wear shoes on scooters and if they don’t....then they will learn.

But I would make someone else’s kids put on their shoes, as I wouldn’t want to be responsible if they got hurt. I’m also not always sure if a kid says “but my Mom lets me†that it’s completely true.

I would also probably make mine put on shoes if we were in a group like that and I didn’t know what other Moms thought. It’s kind of like the “going up the slide†issue. I’m fine with it but if we are in a group I don’t really feel like it’s worth getting other people upset until I know which side of the slacker Mom fence they are on. :)

• Like 1

I rode bikes without shoes as a child and of course without a helmet. Now helmets are a legal requirement and shoes are required for riding at preschool. So my kids wear shoes and helmets when riding bikes or scooters. Times change.

Shoes, preferably closed toe. No flip-flops. I've only recently let DD start riding her scooter with out a helmet, which I require for bike/skates/skateboard, all of which also require shoes (except the skates, which ARE shoes...)

Anyway, if she was a 90% of the time barefoot kind of kid with tough feet, I might let her try to scooter barefoot...except that she doesn't just scoot along, they are always jumping curbs and so forth. Plus I don't trust the brake on her scooter.

My kids have to wear shoes on scooters, bikes, or anything other that just walking around outside. I would expect my kids to know my rule and follow it even under the supervision of others, and I would expect other kids to respect my wishes for all kids to wear shoes on scooter when under my supervision.

I require closed toe shoes and helmets for anything with wheels (bikes/scooters/skateboards/etc). I have seen (and had) some nasty injuries and would rather my kids not learn the lesson the hard way.

In all other situations I let them decide if they want to be barefoot or wear shoes.

(and in general I prefer to let them learn their own lessons but not when stitches, ligament and tendon damage and broken bones might be involved).

My kids think it is funny that I get to be considered a responsible adult. :D

I grew up barefoot, so shoes are a personal choice here for outside play. Most often, the kids choose shoes because the ground is HARD and there are granite chips instead of sand or rocks.

I remember being a child and being bear foot most of the time. I very vaguely remember my mum suggesting that it is better to wear shoes when riding a bike. I also very clearly remember stubbing my toe, and having a quiet large hunk of skin pealed back on my same toe. Lesson learned. I wore shoes afterwards.

My son and I ride scooters often and I can't imagine either of us riding without shoes. However, we aren't outside barefoot a lot, either. I would be uncomfortable supervising a kid doing that if I didn't know that his or her parents were OK with it. If it's just to learn a lesson, I'd prefer that be done on the parents' watch!

• Like 1

Hypothetically, if you were supervising a group of 6 kids at lunch as part of a rotation between the parents, would you allow a kid to ride a scooter without shoes? These are kick scooters, not motored ones. The kids in question are between 8 and 10. The children bring their own scooters to ride after they eat lunch outside. There are flat sidewalks not near traffic.

Thanks -

My kids, need shoes. I pay my kids medical bills, thus they wear shoes.

Other peoples kids....whatever that parent's rules are.

*I* would wear shoes. I figure a 9yo can decide for himself and deal with the consequences. If it wasn't my 9yo, I'd suggest he can ask his mom for next time, but this time, I'd appreciate him wearing shoes. If you have seen him out there without shoes, I'd leave well enough alone. Again, his feet and consequences.

*I* would wear shoes. I figure a 9yo can decide for himself and deal with the consequences. If it wasn't my 9yo, I'd suggest he can ask his mom for next time, but this time, I'd appreciate him wearing shoes. If you have seen him out there without shoes, I'd leave well enough alone. Again, his feet and consequences.

The only problem with your thinking is, believe me, your child wouldn't be the only one dealing with the consequence.

I require mine to wear shoes when playing outside (and helmets with those scooters!). I would double check with the parent to ask what they prefer for their own child.

I don't say anything to the neighbor kids when they are in our driveway/circle/sidewalk, unless I am officially babysitting them.

shoes would certainly be ideal (says the lady that bikes in flip flops). it would be a painful lesson to learn if they fell off barefoot.

having said that, it depends. if it were my kids, i would make them wear shoes. if it were someone else's child & i knew they were relaxed and wouldn't enforce shoes - i would probably suggest it but not enforce it.

I'd like to remind folks that shoes protect not just the feet, but also the rest of your kid's precious body, including his brain and spine.

If you are getting out of control on a bike or trike or scooter, and you have sturdy shoes on, it is natural and easy and instinctive to use your feet to slow your self down, or even to jump off and stop, etc. BUT, if you are barefoot (or similar), you will NOT use your feet to stop or slow as readily, because it HURTS. Thus, the kid is much more likely to keep going too fast, get in a major crash, and maybe get a brain or spinal injury.

This is also why gloves are an important safety item for bikes: If you are wearing gloves, you are much more likely to use your hands intelligently to protect yourself from a head injury when falling off a bike.

Anyhow, just wanted to point this concept out to those of you who would leave it to the kid to "face the consequences" b/c the consequences can be much more serious than a cut or scraped up foot. It could be a brain injury or a spinal cord injury.

THAT is why closed toe shoes are non-negotiable for any kid under my supervision on a wheeled vehicle. I also require gloves for aggressive or serious bike or scooter riding. :)

• 10 years later...
On 4/24/2013 at 4:36 PM, Alice said:

I have the same thoughts. I feel like once they are past a certain age they should have enough common sense to wear shoes on scooters and if they don’t....then they will learn.

But I would make someone else’s kids put on their shoes, as I wouldn’t want to be responsible if they got hurt. I’m also not always sure if a kid says “but my Mom lets me†that it’s completely true.

I would also probably make mine put on shoes if we were in a group like that and I didn’t know what other Moms thought. It’s kind of like the “going up the slide†issue. I’m fine with it but if we are in a group I don’t really feel like it’s worth getting other people upset until I know which side of the slacker Mom fence they are on. 🙂

This. I don't want to "natural consequence" someone else's kids.