Menu

Disney World, What is the Appeal?

We live in FL and have done Disney A LOT. Probably the biggest thing for me is the fact that there is so much for the whole family to do together. My favorite trips were when my kids were 9,5, and 2. At many places you'd be stuck in kiddie land with the little ones while the older child and the adults are bored, but at Disney there are many, many attractions for the whole family to enjoy together. And then when the youngest child is 40 inches there are even more rides for everyone. This is what has made Disney special for us.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people never fall in love with Disney, but my experience is this: if you do Disney RIGHT (and yes, there is most definitely a wrong way to do Disney), you will fall in love with the experience. There really is something to it, and it isn't the same as any other theme park (Universal is great - but not the same as Disney.....). I agree about not going in to debt; however, I would (at least) once go into a reasonable amount of debt to take my kids there if that was the only option. I do think the memories and the experiences as a family are worth every penny, and I do think that sort of trip is an investment of a non-material kind.

By the way, for all of you who ARE DisneyWorld loving families, here is something for your kids to consider when they are college age.

The Disney College Program at WDW is a fabulous experience. Students live in subsidized apartments and are guaranteed at least 30 hours a week of paid work, and during peak times they often get overtime hours. There are jobs in the hotels, from changing sheets to working at the front desk, there are food service jobs, monorail driving jobs and attraction jobs like my son had first in Tomorrow Land then at Hollywood Studios -- Rock'n'Roller Coaster and line control for Fantasmic. There are classes you can take, and depending on the major and your college you can get college credit. The housing has strict rules -- more strict than college dormitories -- and is very safe and secure. There is also a bus system that even takes the college program kids to Walmart to get groceries.

My son LOVED his year there, but he is a Disney freak. At the end of their training period Mickey Mouse presented each new cast member with their name tag! Priceless to him. He would call to tell me about the special things that he got to do for guests and to tell me about the angry and unreasonable guests. His first day on the roller coaster, the first kid in line he had to check for the height was too short and the whole family got angry! Best of all during his year there, we got wonderfully discounted hotel rooms and free admission when we visited him!!

You have to be enrolled in college to apply, and can do a semester long program then apply to extend for a full year.

My ds is graduating in June and has applied for a professional internship at WDW, and is hoping to make a career there. All your stories of why you love the park is why he wants to work there -- he loves creating the magic.

I enjoy the parks, but hate crowds. We had Disneyland annual passes for several years, which really spoiled me because we could just go for an afternoon in the off season. Disney World is fun because of how huge it is, and how much there is to do. But I can totally understand why some people just don't enjoy it. It takes a bit of planning and a certain ability to cope with crowds. If you aren't a Disney fan, if you don't like theme parks in general or being jostled by lots of people -- it wouldn't be much fun.

My 6 year old daughter has loved princesses since she could talk. When she's at Disney, she truly believes that she has been sent to this magical place of fairies, castles, princesses, and magic. The look on her face as she waves to the princesses in the parade is priceless. That's why I love Disney. Although, I've loved Disney since I was a kid. We live 2.5 hours away and have seasonal passes....we go about every other month. It's simply magical. There's no other way to describe it.....and the customer service is top notch!

I think one of the reasons people go and end up hating the trip is that they get the idea that as a theme park vacation, you can just show up anytime of the year, not really plan ahead much, and still have fun. Disney takes planning. It does. And as much as I LOVE Disney (and am a Disney Vacation Club member) you won't catch me anywhere near the place when the parks will be crowded or hot. From observing others in or extended family, I have also found that staying at a Disney resort in the moderate or deluxe categories can make all the difference - especially for someone who isn't as fond of the idea of Disney in abstract. I also agree with the other posters about the cost - we have spent FAR more money traveling across the country and to other countries than we have ever spent on a Disney vacation....

We're not Disney people either. I really wanted to be. I even got a Disney Rewards Visa card when my ds was an infant to save for a trip. We finally got our chance a few years ago and went with my mother, brother, sil, and two nephews. This was the second trip for my brother's family and the first for the rest of us. I have NO desire to go back EVER! I felt like it was "hurry up and wait" for the whole trip. Hurry up and wait for the bus, hurry up and wait for the ride/show.

This is us too. We had APs most years and would go for just an afternoon. Then we moved across the country and not close to a Disney Park. One stipulation I had with moving is that we would go to WDW at least once per year!

I enjoy the parks, but hate crowds. We had Disneyland annual passes for several years, which really spoiled me because we could just go for an afternoon in the off season. Disney World is fun because of how huge it is, and how much there is to do. But I can totally understand why some people just don't enjoy it. It takes a bit of planning and a certain ability to cope with crowds. If you aren't a Disney fan, if you don't like theme parks in general or being jostled by lots of people -- it wouldn't be much fun.

This sounds slightly bad but those of you who get it understand. Disney has been the one place where my child is normal. No one notices any tantrums as other kids are having them. Disney has so much for children/adults with disabilities. Even for my DD who was petrified of costumed people when she was little. I will forever be grateful to Winnie the Pooh and Piglet at the Crystal Palace. They had so much patience with her. I have the most precious photo of her hugging them and the sweet look on her face.

I think one of the reasons people go and end up hating the trip is that they get the idea that as a theme park vacation, you can just show up anytime of the year, not really plan ahead much, and still have fun. Disney takes planning. It does. And as much as I LOVE Disney (and am a Disney Vacation Club member) you won't catch me anywhere near the place when the parks will be crowded or hot. From observing others in or extended family, I have also found that staying at a Disney resort in the moderate or deluxe categories can make all the difference - especially for someone who isn't as fond of the idea of Disney in abstract. I also agree with the other posters about the cost - we have spent FAR more money traveling across the country and to other countries than we have ever spent on a Disney vacation....

It does take planning.

I know a family who got the dining plan and RAN OUT OF MEALS with three days left.

They somehow thought the dining plan meant unlimited meals. They had a travel agent, too, who I think really dropped the ball.

Nope, not my thing. I loved Disneyland before we had kids but after I felt it was overpriced, overcrowded, and full of junk food and overstimulation. I'd much rather take my dc to the beach, forest, mountains, or even the pool. I'm also not into Disney characters or movies.

And the food prices are absurd- $38 for a hot dog and juice box? We love treating our family to a nice dinner out, but there are much higher quality places to go.

Now Legoland is a very different experience- I love that place.

I have never seen food prices that high at Disney. Now at Six Flags food is highway robbery.

Some people never fall in love with Disney, but my experience is this: if you do Disney RIGHT (and yes, there is most definitely a wrong way to do Disney), you will fall in love with the experience. There really is something to it, and it isn't the same as any other theme park (Universal is great - but not the same as Disney.....). I agree about not going in to debt; however, I would (at least) once go into a reasonable amount of debt to take my kids there if that was the only option. I do think the memories and the experiences as a family are worth every penny, and I do think that sort of trip is an investment of a non-material kind.

Through being in various online forums with Mommies, I can categorically say this: You are either Disney people and get it, or not Disney people, and don't get it. :)

I agree with both of you. And I also think that many, many times, people who don't feel the magic at Disney...aren't doing it right.

It's not really the kind of vacation you can attempt without a lot of advance preparation and planning. The amount of fun you'll have is in direct proportion to the time of year you go, how much reading you've done about the parks ahead of time, and how much advance planning you've put into it.

If you go for the first time in the middle of summer (or heaven help you, during a major holiday), without having read one or two guidebooks thoroughly, don't have advance dining reservations (or worse, even any clue about what food choices are available to you), don't know how to use Fastpass, don't have some sort of touring plan in mind....it will be the most crowded, stressful, tense, miserable vacation of your life.

If you do it right...stalk the disboards, touringplans.com, easywdw.com, read a guidebook (Unofficial Guide is my fave), become familiar with the layouts of each of the major parks (there are four), learn all about dining in Disney (and btw, I have never paid $38 for a hot dog and a drink...I'm guessing that was hyperbole on the poster's part), schedule in breaks during your day (pool or a nap at the hotel in the afternoons is perfect...especially since you should have gotten there at rope drop to avoid the lines), plan out your days...even if it's loosely, and go during a less crowded time of year...then you will have a wonderful vacation full of fun, magic and memories to last a lifetime. Or at least until you can plan your next WDW trip.

If you do all that and still don't have fun...then there's no hope for you. :D. And please...stay home, and keep the park crowds down for the rest of us Mousejunkies. ;)

Momtoone, your son might be able to go thru make-a-wish. Plus I think there is another program that pays for chronically I'll kids to go to disney ... Give kids the world.

I am aware and it is not something that is of interest to DS. Yes, he would have fun. But he would have fun at any amusment park, or museum, or hotel with a pool or anyplace really. He likes everything. I know what he would ask for if he did Make a Wish and it is not WDW. I am waiting on Make a Wish for him.

I went to Disney Land several times growing up. I do not recall it being any different then the local amusement park.

I am leaving for Magic Kingdom in about an hour and we will be staying until 1am. We own with the vacation club and stay in villa condos at their resorts complete with kitchen and washer/dryer. Best investment ever. We have gone every year since 2011 at least once. If you look past the rides there can be a lot of educational value in the parks like Animal kingdom and Epcot. We used Marriott this time but will transfer over to Kidani village tomorrow night. If you have never seen the deluxe accommodations click some of the links and be amazed.

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4511168345080029&pid=1.7&w=250&h=155&c=7&rs=1

this is a pic of the three bedroom we have http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4534859355128187&pid=1.7

and Saturday morning I will be drinking coffee while looking at zebra and giraffe eat.

I guess I'm one who "doesn't get it"! We've taken the kids, and it's fun, but I don't feel all googly about it. My dh & I used to live 20 minutes from DL and we'd go up every rainy weekend when the park was mostly empty. Again, fun, but not swoon-worthy.

And for the record, I do agree with a couple of others about camping. No stinkin' way! ;-) We (and the kids) prefer Europe. Or sailing. Call us crazy. :D

one of my very favorite memories was one day at Magic Kingdom. we had gone early and rode Peter Pan and then got fast passes to ride it later at night. We went up to go thru the Fastpass line and there was a sign by the machines that give out the fastpasses that all fastpasses had been given out for the day. There was a very long line to go in the non Fastpass line. There was a woman standing there with her 2 small children and she was explaining that the line was just too long and no Fastpasses. So, me, dh and my 2 dc all decided to give them our Fastpasses. THe woman said her kids had never been on Peter Pan before and she kept asking us if we were sure we wanted to give them our fastpasses. We said yes. She said her dh was in the bathroom but she thanked us over and over for the fastpasses. We started walking away when all of a sudden her with her dh and dc came running after us. Her dh wanted to thank us himself for his kids. I still get good feelings from that memory. We have received magic at Disney and wanted to give it back to others.

Um? Do you think you may be overthinking this?

It is a series of theme parks that provide information, fun, thrills, and "adventure". There are enough parks to keep a family doing something new and different for a week or more.

If children are young enough to be "into" the movies and characters, those add to the elements. If kids are older, it is more of an amusement park.

I admit I'm biased; I lived in Orlando and at one point had a season pass (I was single, no kids). I would go to Epcot, eat at the Norway buffet (My mom was first generation) and I'd people watch.

It may not be your thing, but I'm baffled at the question - it seems obvious to me why families would plan to vacation at Disney.

Wait. What??? You live in Orlando?!?! Meeeee toooooo!!! I promise I'm not a crazy person, but I'd love to meet you someday. I've always really loved and respected your posts. I may be star struck lol.

As for the Disney question, my dh works there, so we can go whenever. I'm spoiled and only go a few times per year, in September and in Febuary. It's nice weather, and those are the times of the year it's least packed. I won't stand in hour long lines with my kids being so young. When we went in September, the longest we waited was ten minutes, in Magic Kingdom. We were able to do every ride we wanted to twice or three times. It was awesome and we went back the next day. My dh will sometimes take the older two for the afternoon and stay for fireworks. The toddler isn't quite ready for that yet.

We have taken children to Disney a few times. I liked Disney land much better than Disney World. We never took them to DW. We did take them to Disney Paris but they 'iked certain other European amusement parks like Bobbejaanland and Effetelin more so we didn't go back.

It just really depends on the family and their interests. My dd is very happy that we aren't like others going in DW. She likes the vacations I design. But she would rather go bird watching or snorkeling or visit a art museum exhibit she wants to see or something like that. It isn't a cost thing with us, its just not the kind of thing we want to spend a vacation doing. We have never gone on a vacation to an amusement park. We have only spent a day at one and haven't even done that for a number of years.

But we know we aren't like many families. We don't have family to visit, we don't go to vacations to the same place, and we were taking our kids to art museums and historical attractions since they were infants. It was what we brought them up to love and along with botanical gardens and zoos, these are the things they still want to visit. But I completely understand that others have other interests or desires. That is what is so nice- it really would be swful for the people who do like Disney so much if all of us who can take it or leave it were taking annual vacations there. It would make the place way too crowded.

I agree with both of you. And I also think that many, many times, people who don't feel the magic at Disney...aren't doing it right.

It's not really the kind of vacation you can attempt without a lot of advance preparation and planning. The amount of fun you'll have is in direct proportion to the time of year you go, how much reading you've done about the parks ahead of time, and how much advance planning you've put into it.

If you go for the first time in the middle of summer (or heaven help you, during a major holiday), without having read one or two guidebooks thoroughly, don't have advance dining reservations (or worse, even any clue about what food choices are available to you), don't know how to use Fastpass, don't have some sort of touring plan in mind....it will be the most crowded, stressful, tense, miserable vacation of your life.

If you do it right...stalk the disboards, touringplans.com, easywdw.com, read a guidebook (Unofficial Guide is my fave), become familiar with the layouts of each of the major parks (there are four), learn all about dining in Disney (and btw, I have never paid $38 for a hot dog and a drink...I'm guessing that was hyperbole on the poster's part), schedule in breaks during your day (pool or a nap at the hotel in the afternoons is perfect...especially since you should have gotten there at rope drop to avoid the lines), plan out your days...even if it's loosely, and go during a less crowded time of year...then you will have a wonderful vacation full of fun, magic and memories to last a lifetime. Or at least until you can plan your next WDW trip.

If you do all that and still don't have fun...then there's no hope for you. :D. And please...stay home, and keep the park crowds down for the rest of us Mousejunkies. ;)

That sounds like a lot of work. If I'm going to do all that work and spend all that money, I'm not going to Disney.

I went once when I was 12 to DW. The thing I like best was the different countries in Epcot. So now I'd like to actually go to those countries LOL.

For me, Disney holds a lot of memories and magic. I went when I was six for the first time, I've been several times since and even worked there for a semester in their College Program.

Disney is not as big of deal to my kids, both have been at different times and don't beg to go again someday. They do talk happily about the fun they had. There are some really good memories. We made sure to keep to a low budget. It can be done.

Because at every turn, you feel like Disney really, really wants you to be happy, to rediscover your inner child, to be caught up in magic. And even when, deep down, you know they are making money - it happens.

Employees are trained to say "yes" at every opportunity and to turn tears to smiles. DS9 (then 6) begged to go on the Dinosaur ride, then got off quivering and nearly sobbing from terror. A Cast Member noticed, came over, gently asked what his absolute, favorite-ever ice cream flavor was, then reappeared with - an ice cream cone. We check in and the desk clerk greets us like family. We ask to sit in a particular seat on the safari ride or riverboat ride, and a Cast Member cheerfully accommodates. We've been often enough that even the boys have the layout memorized, and yet they still love it all. Climbing around Tom Sawyer's island. Riding the cheesy Peoplemover. Watching the Lion King show for the 20th time and hoping to get picked to dance. Going on Soarin' 3 times in one day and making the same silly comments every time.

Our last trip we went to Universal Studios for a couple of days first. We liked it, especially the World of Harry Potter, but we just never had that feeling of being transported to another place. That is the magic of Disney.

I have never been to DW but have been to DL many times. I love it, but I agree with those who say you need to plan it, like you would any vacation that you take. There are certain times of year you couldn't pay me to go there. But it is a magical place, and it appeals to the inner child in me. I have gone once each of the last three years, and taken a different child with me each time. We're fortunate enough to have relatives who live close by and don't mind putting us up for a few days, and it helps keep the cost under control. It's been really fun for me to take one kid each time because I get to cater the trip to what each likes to do. Last year when I took my then-9-year-old dd, she was all about wanting to meet the princesses and characters and get their autographs and ride Peter Pan a zillion times. This year, I took my 17 yo ds, and he wanted to ride the bigger roller coasters and see all the musical groups and shows, and go to Disney Animation Academy a bunch of times.

Disney isn't for everybody, but if you go with the right attitude, and knowing what to expect, it's a blast and can be a truly memorable experience.

if you do Disney RIGHT (and yes, there is most definitely a wrong way to do Disney), you will fall in love with the experience.

That's like saying "if you do camping 'right' you will fall in love with the experience." I'm betting that's not true for those who've said "ewww, camping, no way!" ;)

We took the kids to Disney World/Epcot/Animal Kingdom 4 years ago, at the invitation of my brother, who has a time share there and goes several times/yr. We were there in the off-season, they know the parks inside out, and they have special needs kids so we had go-to-the-head-of-the-line passes for all the rides when we were with them. DH and I still hated it! I feel the same way about crowds and noise and amusement parks that some of you feel about camping — "eeeww, get me out of here!" And except for DD, who liked the princess stuff back then (she was 6), the rest of us are not at all into the Disney brand/movies/characters. DS was 10, and even he was bored with everything except Animal Kingdom.

I'd take camping over Disney any day. Different strokes for different folks. :)

Jackie

I don't say "no" there. It's a place where the real world doesn't exist, and you can live a fantasy for a week or two.

This is a big part of it for me! We are Florida residents and have had passes several times. At one time my oldest was going through the very difficult time of 12/13 year old boys. I realized one of the reasons I loved our trips there was because the junk of life was left behind. I could just have fun with my kids. We have silly traditions like running to Splash Mountain the last 30 minutes before they close and letting the kids get in as many rides as they could. My kids have grown up on Disney. I don't regret a single dime I have ever spent there. I ave never gone into debt for it. We are planning a trip in November or December. If we stay at a value hotel, buy seasonal year passes and get free dining... It is costing me about $1100 for 4 people. We will use those passes for 3 five day trips during that year. My dh does not love Disney and he finds it more difficult to go there because it was the last gift our son gave our family before he passed away. He came home from Iraq and took myself, my husband, his brother, sister, grandma, aunt and three friends to Disney using his military discounts. His reason... He had just spent a year in a war and he wanted to take his family to a magical place. We had the best time.

We no longer live in Florida, but maintain a property there. Anyway, my dh doesn't go with as much. Instead I drop him off with his parents for a week. He visits them and makes repairs on our rental home. Me, my mom, my sister and kids go to Disney. We realized that with getting a hotel and food to stay to work on our rental house... We would spend not much less than going to Disney.

That sounds like a lot of work. If I'm going to do all that work and spend all that money, I'm not going to Disney.

I went once when I was 12 to DW. The thing I like best was the different countries in Epcot. So now I'd like to actually go to those countries LOL.

I don't do a lot of work and I don't spend big $$. We go in the off-season and I check the crowd calendar on easywdw.com to choose which park to go to that day. We rent a condo off-site for between $400-600/week. Our family cannot stand eating out everyday or being stuck in a room or two. We eat at least 2 meals/day in the condo, typically breakfast and a light dinner. It ends up being cheap, but I'm not doing it to be cheap, though it doesn't hurt ;). It's just our comfort zone as far as eating out and space :). We have spent far more money on "regular" vacations than we ever have at Disney.

As for the original question, for our family, WDW has something for everyone to enjoy. We were sad that a trip this past winter didn't end up happening, but dh made everything better when he reminded me we could still go *this* year. We're going in December. Our first time to see the holiday decorations :001_wub: .

I have never been. When my son was 5 we wanted to do a southern CA vacation with theme park and my son was not interested in Disney- he wanted to go to Legoland and that's what we did. We have thought that we would take the kids when they are a bit older since there is such a big age gap. I can't seeing it be annual thing for us. My idea of an annual vacation is hiking in the woods and flying kites on the beach with a high stack of books and I know that doesn't appeal to all but I don't reckon anyone is mystified by it either. We usually do a few camping trips in WA, one to Idaho and 1 on the Oregon Coast each year. If we did Disney or the like every year, we wouldn't be able to swing that much vacation time.

Planning is part of the fun! It makes the time go by faster while waiting on the trip!

Also, if you haven't been to WDW since you were 12, you can't even imagine what it's like now; a WORLD of difference.

That's like saying "if you do camping 'right' you will fall in love with the experience." I'm betting that's not true for those who've said "ewww, camping, no way!" ;)

We took the kids to Disney World/Epcot/Animal Kingdom 4 years ago, at the invitation of my brother, who has a time share there and goes several times/yr. We were there in the off-season, they know the parks inside out, and they have special needs kids so we had go-to-the-head-of-the-line passes for all the rides when we were with them. DH and I still hated it! I feel the same way about crowds and noise and amusement parks that some of you feel about camping — "eeeww, get me out of here!" And except for DD, who liked the princess stuff back then (she was 6), the rest of us are not at all into the Disney brand/movies/characters. DS was 10, and even he was bored with everything except Animal Kingdom.

I'd take camping over Disney any day. Different strokes for different folks. :)

Jackie

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

We did Disney "right" every single time we went. My SIL works there full time and gave us the inside scoop on everything. We checked every website and had multiple guide books. We had fast passes and reservations, knew which things to hit first and in what order, never went during peak times, etc etc etc. After a couple days, ALL the "magic" just falls flat for me. A day or 2 is kind of cute especially when the kids are enjoying it, but after that, it just feels like one big marketing nightmare in a sea of bodies. My kids don't particularly like rides, so I didn't even get on many big rides, which would make it a little more fun.

And I do like camping, even in a tent. I would agree it's best followed up by a night or 2 in a good hotel with some lovely local restaurants to hit nearby. :D Actually, on our last Disney vacation, we also camped at Smoky Mountain Ntl Park, went to Mammoth Cave, and we camped at Ft. Picken's Ntl Seashore near Pensacola too.

We wouldn't go into debt over any vacation.

Wait. What??? You live in Orlando?!?! Meeeee toooooo!!! I promise I'm not a crazy person, but I'd love to meet you someday. I've always really loved and respected your posts. I may be star struck lol.

That is so sweet. No, I live in Texas now. I lived in Orlando around 1990 - 1992. Actually, I lived in Clermont for a year before getting my own place in Orlando. :) I still have family there and hope to visit!

We only live two hours from WDW but don't really like to go. We absolutely loved Disneyland, but here in FL we actually prefer to do SeaWorld if we're doing parks in Orlando. WDW was just not that much fun for us. We haven't done Universal yet and dds are really looking forward to that soon. It just seems like too much money for us to spend on amusement parks. We're taking a vacation this summer to the Gulf coast of FL and we're doing quite a bit for a lot less that we would spend if doing Disney (and it's even a few hours farther). I think you either love it or you don't and either is fine.

Before I went there myself (as an adult), I wondered too. But having been there, I think it can be worth it. My kids have been there already at age 6 (though I didn't and probably wouldn't go into debt to make it happen.) ... What was cool for my kids: some really awesome "rides," meeting the "real live" princesses, the fairy castle, Animal Kingdom, some good shows, being called "princesses" and treated accordingly by the staff, and just a general overall good time. What was cool from a mom perspective: Epcot and Animal Kingdom could be quite educational. We went at a very rushed and crowded time, though. We'll probably go again at a quieter time.

For me, Disney World is magical because you leave the real world behind. DH and I honeymooned there because we are just that goofy. :tongue_smilie: I have the cutest picture of him ever, 28 years old and meeting Mickey Mouse, grinning from ear to ear. We took the kids a few years ago and it was magical then too. We will go again as soon as DS7 hits 52". ;) My happy place is Splash Mountain. I could ride Splash Mountain all day long and it would be like having a year's worth of yoga and therapy. :lol:

Yes, this.

My BIL never wants to go back to WDW. He was miserable. They went in July, stayed in an off-site hotel, and hated every minute of their vacation.

DH and I, otoh, made a list of what was important to us and stuck to it. I don't like huge crowds. We went during an off-peak time (early spring). I wanted to stay close to the park without feeling like Mickey Mouse threw up on me, so we stayed at the Wilderness Lodge. Quiet, out of the way, but right across the lake. And still Disney. We would have been miserable at one of the All Star resorts or a high traffic hotel like the Poly. Even more so having to drive back and forth each day. OTOH, my friend swears by staying off-site. She likes the room to breathe and doesn't ever want to stay on property. She likes to get away from all things Disney at the end of the day and have the freedom to go wherever she wants in her own car. Staying onsite would not be a good experience for her.

We're trying to talk my BIL and his family into another trip. His wife's interested, but that one trip put him off so much that he doesn't ever want to go back. :(

BTW, for those of you who would prefer to visit other countries than WDW, there is the Disney Adventures program. Go anywhere in the world on a Disney trip, geared to family time and making sure the littles are included. :)

Planning is part of the fun! It makes the time go by faster while waiting on the trip!

Also, if you haven't been to WDW since you were 12, you can't even imagine what it's like now; a WORLD of difference.

I'm sure it has changed a lot, and if someone said, "here's a free trip to DW, have fun" I'd go, and I'd probably enjoy it. But I honestly remember it as being nothing special except for the countries. The rides were underwhelming, and my family went to amusement parks regularly. My favorite was always Hershey Park. Nothing like chocolate LOL!

The thing is, it's a whole bunch of fake stuff in the middle of FL. I want to go real places.

I don't like camping either. Ugh. I don't even like eating outside, let alone sleeping there!

I've only been to Disneyland, but attending this Disney park is particullary great for homeschooling children who may never have learned the life-lesson of standing in a que. For a hefty fee families will get hours of practice standing-in-line, all without ever having to attend public school.

Sure it is an expensive lesson to learn. But....

Bill

OP: I don't know how much you think Disney costs, but it doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg. I can get to Disney for about the same cost as the beach or other vacation.

Dawn

Really? Do you have secrets? I'd love to hear budgeting ideas! The flying to Florida seems to be the biggest expense, but there's no good way around that. Anyway, we want to take the kids in a few years and my parents want to go. We thought about just renting a house and cooking some meals there, none of us really want to eat out every meal.

For me- Its like I get to be a kid again. The atmosphere-the shows-the characters-the rides...........ahhhhh amazing. I could live in Magic Kingdom. It never gets old. I think it is the funnest place on Earth.

For my kids- its just pure heaven. The first time we went it was 100 degrees and my youngest was 18 months old and no one complained once about sweating to death. They love meeting the characters and love every single ride.

There is something about the atmosphere there that just screams happy and fun.

When you have to fly that really is a disadvantage. Would you rent a car?

We do drive.

If you want to save $$, go during Homeschool Days

http://www.disneyyouth.com/our-programs/education/sp/homeschool-days/#categories-homeschool-days

These are typically late Sept and late Jan. If you go during these days you get almost half off your tickets. The school aged kids do have to attend a class but my kids really like them.

We stay off-site for about $250/wk including taxes for a 2 bedroom, but we stay in RCI units they can't rent out and are considered "leftovers." Not everyone wants to do that but it has been fine for us.

A house sounds lovely. I have no idea of the cost of those.

We eat a lot of our own food. Again, some people want to eat out most meals and that is fine, it just isn't for us. I get sick if I eat out all the time. We have a backpack cooler we bought at Target (Igloo brand) and carry lunch in to the parks most days. We eat easy meals in the condo.......chicken and rice, potatoes and steak, hamburgers and salad.......and some junk foods like pizza too.

The last few years we have been going to Disney when DH's work conference is down there which helps because they pay for our gas by the mile, so we end up getting a little more than it costs to drive down there. The don't pay our stay because they would provide a hotel room for him in the conference hotel for 4 nights only but they don't want families to stay there and it wouldn't really help as we would have to move anyway.

Our typical costs for a one week stay (without transportation) is around $1,500. We have found that if we add a 2nd week, it only adds about $500 to our trip, so we have been doing that.

For food, we use our regular grocery budget and our regular eating out budget. We typically don't eat out before or after the trip for a while so we rarely go over our regular budget. I do budget another $200 or so over our regular budget for some additional eating out meals, or use the extra from Dh's work stipend.

MANY do not want to do Disney our way and I have some more info if you want it.

Dawn

Really? Do you have secrets? I'd love to hear budgeting ideas! The flying to Florida seems to be the biggest expense, but there's no good way around that. Anyway, we want to take the kids in a few years and my parents want to go. We thought about just renting a house and cooking some meals there, none of us really want to eat out every meal.

Don't shoot!!!

We do watch disney movies and a disney show or two on netflix but I just cannot figue out why everyone talks about Disney World as THE place to take young children. What is the value? I do not get spending several weeks (or in my case 2 months) pay in just a few days. I hear families talking about how they open a credit card account just to put the trip on (airfare, hotel, food park admission and suvineers) and that it will take years for them to pay off. They all say how happy their child was and how it was their dream come true. I want my son to be as happy as the next mom but he is happy with everything he does.

What is so special about Disney World?

I used to hate Disney. I saw it as a colossal waste of time and money. A few things changed my mind about it, the biggest being discovering The Unofficial Guide to Disney World. When I started using their touring plans and crowd calendars to plan my trip, we went from being able to do 4 rides in a day to doing everything we wanted in the park by a reasonable time. The second thing is that my son has many food allergies and Disney has become awesome at accommodating those. Seeing my son enjoy meals out and having a wide selection to pick from like everyone else makes me very happy. Plus, I truly get a vacation because I don't have to cook. The joy my kids got out of the trip was a big bonus, of course, but after a number of years of homeschooling small children and being stuck in the house so much, I really didn't want to go away and just sit on the beach. I wanted a jam-packed vacation where I was busy every minute. I wanted to do stuff!

Sadly, my kids are now 11 and 13 and We've been so many times, I think we're pretty much done with Disney. I'll miss it most because of the great meals for my son.

When you have to fly that really is a disadvantage. Would you rent a car?

We do drive.

If you want to save $$, go during Homeschool Days

http://www.disneyyouth.com/our-programs/education/sp/homeschool-days/#categories-homeschool-days

These are typically late Sept and late Jan. If you go during these days you get almost half off your tickets. The school aged kids do have to attend a class but my kids really like them.

We stay off-site for about $250/wk including taxes for a 2 bedroom, but we stay in RCI units they can't rent out and are considered "leftovers." Not everyone wants to do that but it has been fine for us.

A house sounds lovely. I have no idea of the cost of those.

We eat a lot of our own food. Again, some people want to eat out most meals and that is fine, it just isn't for us. I get sick if I eat out all the time. We have a backpack cooler we bought at Target (Igloo brand) and carry lunch in to the parks most days. We eat easy meals in the condo.......chicken and rice, potatoes and steak, hamburgers and salad.......and some junk foods like pizza too.

The last few years we have been going to Disney when DH's work conference is down there which helps because they pay for our gas by the mile, so we end up getting a little more than it costs to drive down there. The don't pay our stay because they would provide a hotel room for him in the conference hotel for 4 nights only but they don't want families to stay there and it wouldn't really help as we would have to move anyway.

Our typical costs for a one week stay (without transportation) is around $1,500. We have found that if we add a 2nd week, it only adds about $500 to our trip, so we have been doing that.

For food, we use our regular grocery budget and our regular eating out budget. We typically don't eat out before or after the trip for a while so we rarely go over our regular budget. I do budget another $200 or so over our regular budget for some additional eating out meals, or use the extra from Dh's work stipend.

MANY do not want to do Disney our way and I have some more info if you want it.

Dawn

Tell me more about the backpack cooler. I have never heard of that and it sounds like something that might be of interest for when we hike and are gone all day long to the city. How long does it really keep food cold? Is it comfortable to wear for 3-4 hours at a time?

FWIW I have spent 2 weeks slowly traveling through 6 midwest and mountain states and spent under $700. That includes gas, lodging, food, admission to the places we wanted to go and a suvineer that cost less than $5 from each place.

We like Disney because it's a vacation filled with activities we can have pre-paid. We know all the basic costs up front, and don't feel like we're passing a cashier our credit card all day long. I know that we spend the $, but psychologically, I really like all-inclusive trips.

For us, we actually prefer to spend our money on a monorail resort with the deluxe dining plan. Sure, we could stay longer for the same amount if we stayed off site or in a value resort, but to me it wouldn't be a vacation. I want to have the space to spread out, a beautiful property to relax in, and two or three sit down meals a day. We use table service meals as a time to refresh and give our feet a break from all the waking.

Although Disney isn't our families favorite vacation destination, it really does hold a special place in our hearts. There are not many other places we've been where you literally feel like you have left the real world behind you when you step through the gates.

And it so much more than an amusement park! It's just magical :tongue_smilie:

I wanted to feel that magic. I tried to go to Hong Kong Disney with an open mind. It was just.... well there was nothing there that appealed to me: nothing I saw or experienced that was in any way magical or even special. Some things were fairly fun. The kids had a good time but didn't beg to go back.

That said, if it's special for other people and they can afford it, then that's fine.

Laura

Well, Disney does cost more than driving through the mid-west then! It may be cheaper than a beach vacation though.

The backpack cooler is a Target exclusive. It is about $30total but I can tell you that ours is 7 years old, we take it to almost every event (park days for homeschoolers, picnics, get togethers) and it has held up remarkably well.

it is large enough to hold 5-7 sandwiches, a bag of carrots/cucumbers, 5 small packages of cookies, some crackers, 5 water bottles, and some trail mix. And then we have a Pringles can of chips in the side pocket!

As for comfort.....the first part of the day it is heavy. I won't lie.....but that isn't the backpack's fault. We have two teens now and we take turns carrying it for the first part of the day so that no one has the burden of carrying it all day. We are beyond the stroller stage, so no strollers.

Here is a picture:

http://www.target.com/p/igloo-maxcold-maxpack-cooler-black-16-can/-/A-13465885#prodSlot=medium_1_46&term=igloo+cooler

Tell me more about the backpack cooler. I have never heard of that and it sounds like something that might be of interest for when we hike and are gone all day long to the city. How long does it really keep food cold? Is it comfortable to wear for 3-4 hours at a time?

FWIW I have spent 2 weeks slowly traveling through 6 midwest and mountain states and spent under $700. That includes gas, lodging, food, admission to the places we wanted to go and a suvineer that cost less than $5 from each place.

Wow, that is amazing! Did you camp? How much were gas prices then? That is some budget travel!

We absolutely LOVED Disneyland (never been to Disney World), and it IS absolutely magic! It is so amazingly creative, colorful, and happy, and it certainly gave all of my artsy children some very high ideals for creativity and vision. I'm so glad we had the chance to go there!

At the same time, we like to vary our travel experiences, and prefer to experience "real life" in other cultures instead of "pretend life" in ours, most of the time. :) (But the pretend life is certainly fun once in a while!)

Wow, that is amazing! Did you camp? How much were gas prices then? That is some budget travel!

September 2009. I tried looking up the prices but the websites I found kept crashing. We did not tent camp and never drove more than 6 hours a day (except for the return trip). We did, however, pull over and sleep in the car a couple of nights. I did the bulk of my driving in the evening after dinner and/or early in the morning. We left shortly after Labor Day when gas prices were dropping, kids were in school but the weather was perfect and everything we went to still had weekday hours. The places that dropped their prices for winter had dropped their prices. No crowds anywhere. :) I found that if I timed things just right we could overnight at some city campgrounds for free. We did sleep in the car more than once. We were in a very rural area and if there was a hotel or motel it was usually waaaaaay over priced. Generally most of the small towns had free overnight parking areas that I took advantage of. We did spend 3 nights in a hotel (never more than $50/night) and did sleep in the car in a couple of awesome state parks but those were only $10 a night. One was so beautiful that I wish I had had a sunroof in the car, had I not made reservations in the next state I may never have left. I did have friends and relatives along the route so we were able to stay with them at no cost to us.

A lot of our entertainment was national and state parks. I did spend around $60 total on the more expensive entertainment places. That was 3 places for 2 people. Most of the small towns or counties (if there was not a town big enough) had small museums. Usually we were the only ones there and we found some real gems and almost always recieved a personal tour. Several of the big towns (as in big town for a rural area, but too small for Walmart) had wonderful parks or free zoo's. Since the weather was so nice DS always found children to play with. I think I spent less than $200 for lodging for the entire week. I brought most of our food but we did eat pizza one night and then had leftovers the next day for lunch. I do not believe in constant snacking on the road. DS needed to get out of the car and stretch his legs which he did while I cooked meals.

Well, Disney does cost more than driving through the mid-west then! It may be cheaper than a beach vacation though.

The backpack cooler is a Target exclusive. It is about $30total but I can tell you that ours is 7 years old, we take it to almost every event (park days for homeschoolers, picnics, get togethers) and it has held up remarkably well.

it is large enough to hold 5-7 sandwiches, a bag of carrots/cucumbers, 5 small packages of cookies, some crackers, 5 water bottles, and some trail mix. And then we have a Pringles can of chips in the side pocket!

As for comfort.....the first part of the day it is heavy. I won't lie.....but that isn't the backpack's fault. We have two teens now and we take turns carrying it for the first part of the day so that no one has the burden of carrying it all day. We are beyond the stroller stage, so no strollers.

Here is a picture:

http://www.target.co...rm=igloo cooler

If I ever plan a beach vacation I will let you know! Though in reality it would probably be a vacation that includes a day at the beach instead of a vacation at the beach.

Thanks for the link! That looks a lot easier then carrying a regular cooler. I will have to look for one.