Menu

What math did/will you be using for 2nd grade?

MellowYellow

I know some might consider it over.the.top but when my older kiddos were younger I combined a conceptual program with a spiral program. For us it was Singapore and BJU. Yes, we did both. I did that until we were able to move into Saxon 5/4 and then we stick with Saxon (with some AoPS Alcumus time thrown in once a week).

We're bopping through Singapore math mostly because it's what we happened to start with in K4. He's in 2a right now, but will likely be in 2b or higher by fall (we're year rounders and he's halfway through right now).

I've thought about switching to Saxon mostly based on little snippets of info from math people and because it's what classical conversations does later on. I'll probably use up whatever workbooks I purchased so far then switch. I'm pretty laid-back about math (do a little every day) and they seem to like it.

Are you asking because of a possible switch in your curric? I always like to read people's thoughts on that stuff...

oldest ds used Saxon

second ds used Abeka

third ds used Singapore

We also used c-rods, dominoes, pattern blocks, dice, playing cards, MUS blocks, wooden blocks, duplos, wedgits, number lines, number charts, clocks, etc.

It is all fine, but if I had it to do again I would not bother purchasing a curriculum. I would just play until my child had mastered addition/ subtraction facts and was on his way to mastering multiplication/ division facts. Then, I would start Saxon 54. :) If I really wanted workbook sheets, I may would purchase Miquon or I honestly would probably just pick up a cheap workbook at the parent-teacher store.

Mandy

My second grader started the year partway through Rod and Staff 3. She used the textbook and the newer worksheet book. Two thumbs up from DD and myself. Her facts are rock solid, and she has fabulous understanding of the concepts.

We are just about to finish Teaching Textbooks 3 for second grade. He went from Bob Jones 1st right into this. I gave him the placement test and he was solidly ready for the 3rd grade level. He has done well with except he really hates to write out the long addition, subtraction and multiplication on his graph paper. He was used to the workbook of Bob Jones. I compromised this year and wrote the problems and then he worked them out. I love that it grades too!

We started off with Saxon 3, but it just wore on me and I had a feeling something colorful would catch her attention better. I moved her to Horizons 2 and she's about to finish. We could have skipped some at the beginning, but I wanted to give her plenty of time to memorize her facts.

Right Start C. I have learned so much using RS. Wow! Live that my dd can do math in her head and can manipulate numbers. I'm so thankful she won't have to struggle like I did!

We also use MM on the side for extra practice. So she will work on MM2 on her own.

We sometimes add in MEP for fun.

I hope to supplement with Beast in 3rd. It looks so fun!